Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4277485 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #29463: May 22, 2017 01:55:18 pm
      Some report linking us with griezman, let the silly season officially begin

Ignore it mate. It all came from Dean Saunders opening his mouth and talking sh*te as per. They somehow got onto the topic of Griezmann and he said that if he was coming to England that he would now consider Liverpool in his options. F**k knows how Saunders would know about the thought process of Griezmann though considering he gets most things wrong about Wales & Liverpool.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #29464: May 22, 2017 02:26:15 pm
      Ignore it mate. It all came from Dean Saunders opening his mouth and talking sh*te as per. They somehow got onto the topic of Griezmann and he said that if he was coming to England that he would now consider Liverpool in his options. F**k knows how Saunders would know about the thought process of Griezmann though considering he gets most things wrong about Wales & Liverpool.

;D

I don't hear Saunders too much but the little I have come across him he is utterly clueless.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #29465: May 22, 2017 03:04:51 pm
      So in today's reports from beat writers, the names that come up consistently are Virgil VD and Naby Keita.

This has me wondering...do you think it's possible we go to next season having only made two signings? Not saying it would be these two, but I kind of get the idea where a lot of us see the need for five or six additions (or more), that maybe the manager is only looking for a couple of adds.

I don't know of course, but curious what the rest of you think.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #29466: May 22, 2017 03:13:32 pm
      So in today's reports from beat writers, the names that come up consistently are Virgil VD and Naby Keita.

This has me wondering...do you think it's possible we go to next season having only made two signings? Not saying it would be these two, but I kind of get the idea where a lot of us see the need for five or six additions (or more), that maybe the manager is only looking for a couple of adds.

I very much doubt we'll be getting 5 or 6 additions.
      Probably more like 3 first teamers, and then some younger ones, and maybe the odd squad player.

When Henderson and Mane are fit, it becomes a completely different picture.
      CB, LB, Striker/attacker would be my guess, with one out if Keita is signed.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #29467: May 22, 2017 03:16:39 pm
      I very much doubt we'll be getting 5 or 6 additions.
      Probably more like 3 first teamers, and then some younger ones, and maybe the odd squad player.

When Henderson and Mane are fit, it becomes a completely different picture.
      CB, LB, Striker/attacker would be my guess, with one out if Keita is signed.

Cheers. Do you think the kid from Fulham would be counted as a first teamer at left back, or a younger one?
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #29468: May 22, 2017 03:18:44 pm

Don't think so..the squad is too light for CL too on top of PL..let's not forget Mane will leave again for afcon so i think(and hope) that a winger, a striker and a LB will come in.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #29469: May 22, 2017 03:23:20 pm
      Cheers. Do you think the kid from Fulham would be counted as a first teamer at left back, or a younger one?

Very much a "younger one", although I wouldn't be overly surprised if Klopp kept Milner at LB while the lad continues to develop, getting the odd game here and there.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #29470: May 22, 2017 03:30:54 pm

Starting line-up changes I can see in this summer window are:

Striker/Attacker
      Midfielder
      Left Back
      Centre Back

The rest will be brought in to push the bench players we have even further down. 6 or 7 incoming with quite a few outgoings would be my guess.

While people criticise Bobby I can easily see us starting next season with him at the tip of the spear. However, we're certainly changing one position and that's Coutinho being moved correctly into the 8 role. This does produce an issue with his position because I don't think we've got a natural there, Bobby could be moved to the left and I wouldn't at all be surprised if this was the move.

Midfield, I think Henderson is far too unreliable in terms of fitness and form to count upon now. Either he's unfit to play or 'playing through the pain' therefore his form is dipping. Both scenarios have been endured for long enough and the introduction of a player to force him down a peg, even on top form, would be the best move for all. It would allow Hendo to drop to the bench and play a less demanding role, probably something he needs now and of course improve the first team, a win/win for all.

Left Back is obvious, so I wont bother explaining there.

Centre Back, I think Lovren displayed yesterday plenty of the reasons why he could be upgraded on, the panic stations and getting easily run off caused us issues against a very poor Middlesbrough team. I'd be happy if he were the 3rd choice but yet again I think we may be shopping for a left sided CB to partner Matip. Further to that the number of injuries both Lovren and Matip appear to suffer on a regular basis makes this an absolute must in the summer.

I, personally, would like to see the RB situation change but I don't see Jürgen touching this for one second and I think this could be a mistake but we'll see how Trent progresses throughout next season before that's definitive. If it's the case that Jürgen is confident that Trent can take over from Clyne in the near future then this does become a lower priority.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #29471: May 22, 2017 04:53:24 pm
      let's not forget Mane will leave again for afcon

That's every two years mate so 2019 (if they qualify).
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #29472: May 22, 2017 05:04:40 pm
        ;D

I don't hear Saunders too much but the little I have come across him he is utterly clueless.

But he does have a good tale about when  Nigel Clough tried to sign him ;D

As for transfer rumours the talk seems a little underwhelming at full back again.

Ryan Sessegnon in at LB at the age of 17 with the idea of Milner playing a few more years plodding up and down the left with a similar scenario at right back with the workmanlike Clyne holding the role until TAA is ready.

A centre back seems a must if we sell Sakho, be interesting to see how much we get for him and also how much we spend on a replacement.

A midfielder with Lucas making way, and a forward to come in perhaps with Sturridge departing.

I guess in the end it all depends on the quality of the recruitments. A lot will come clear soon.

Sessegnon, Van Dijk, Keita with a striker to be comfirmed seems to be Klopps ideal list at the moment.

If the forward is Demarai gray then its underwhelming
      « Last Edit: May 22, 2017 05:19:37 pm by fields of anny rd »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #29473: May 22, 2017 05:29:22 pm
      Milner at the end of the season looked a lot to me like someone getting on in years. He's a solid professional and his versatility makes him a good choice for the bench, effectively makes that bench deeper, but as a first-choice player (at any position) on a Premier League and Champions League-contending side? I don't see it.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #29474: May 22, 2017 05:33:52 pm
      Milner at the end of the season looked a lot to me like someone getting on in years. He's a solid professional and his versatility makes him a good choice for the bench, effectively makes that bench deeper, but as a first-choice player (at any position) on a Premier League and Champions League-contending side? I don't see it.

I think that is because he played so damn much; if you had a quality back-up who did not go mental every match you could play them much more often to keep legs fresh.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #29475: May 22, 2017 05:37:54 pm
      What a load of crap. Milner is probably the most experienced CL player in our side. He should be captain and not Hendo in my opinion.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #29476: May 22, 2017 05:44:52 pm
      If we intend to replace Sakho with another left footed CB, Aymeric Laporte could be a worthy option to look at, although City were in for him before turning to Stones, and he would be equally expensive with this release clause at £55m
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #29477: May 22, 2017 06:34:11 pm
      Surely we are looking at a minimum of 6-7 new arrivals (of a decent quality) with 3 or 4 heading out the door?

Moreno is surely on his way
      Ditto for Sakho
      Lucas appears to have played his last game for the club
      Studge (if there is interest in him) is probably on the move as well IMO

For me we need:

Left-Back - Obviously! I actually think Milner has done a good job there this season but no one can put in the graft he does for 2 games a week. We need a first team player in there (not some green kid who is still learning his trade)

Centre-Mid - As Luke has pointed out, we can't rely on Henderson being fit and should view in much the same way as we've come to see Studge ie. a bonus if he is available but plan not to have him. We need a serious upgrade in the middle of the park, ideally someone who is more attack minded and less of the jack of all trades type of player that we have in abundance at the moment (i.e Henderson, Can)

Number 9 - Surely our biggest need? That's where I'd invest the biggest funds. We need a skilful player who can do some of things that Studge can do whilst also fitting Klopp's profile of closing down, pressing, winning the ball back when we don't have the ball.

Another Mane - Desperately need a player (ideally who can play on the left & right) who has some of the same skill-set as Mane ie. quick, skilful, able to beat players and make things happen for himself. 

Centre-Half - Sakho on his way, Lucas looking like he is heading the same way. Joe Gomez seems not to have the confidence of the manager and Klavan isn't up to it. We need a centre-half. Hopefully it's Van Dyke, I really like him.

Right-Back - Maybe TAA is the answer? I don't know, way to early to tell. I wouldn't risk starting the season with only one recognised right-back although, if we filled the left-back spot with a proven player we could potentially switch Milner out to RB if Clyne suffered an injury. I think I'd prefer it if we went and signed another player.

Other questions for me:

- Do we flog Origi and find another player? Despite a patch around Christmas where he came in and played well I have been massively disappointed in him this season. I actually think he went backwards and was truly awful in some of our more recent games.

- It's nice that we aren't all debating the goal-keeper position! Migs has been excellent since coming back into the team and you know what, I actually have confidence in the lad! Never thought I'd say that. However, I'd be very tempted to roll the dice on another keeper and move on Karius.

Klopp's 3 main signings of last summer (Mane, Matip, Wijnaldum) have all worked out pretty good. Mane was obviously a stunning signing and the other two have both had pretty solid 1st seasons. If he can have similar success with another 3-4 players this ummer we'll be in good shape. I just hope the board back him.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #29478: May 22, 2017 06:49:25 pm
      What a load of crap. Milner is probably the most experienced CL player in our side. He should be captain and not Hendo in my opinion.

Well I certainly won't be addressing your point of view the way you've addressed mine.

I'm quite familiar with his career. Experience is great and I already said he is a good person to have on the team, but these players don't stay young forever and if you think he is a starting player for a Champions League contender, you are grossly underestimating the caliber of play. Even his service, let alone his athleticism, were lacking in the final weeks of the season.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29479: May 22, 2017 07:15:19 pm

I actually agree fully with him. Where does he start for us next season? The answer you'll get from me is nowhere. He's not good in CM, he's not good enough to start out wide for us and I expect us to sign a starting left back. I also see no reason to change captains, there's no reason to and no logic behind that type of move.

Just because somebody has experience it doesn't mean he should start for us, that's some piss poor logic IMO.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29480: May 22, 2017 07:19:44 pm
      I think that is because he played so damn much; if you had a quality back-up who did not go mental every match you could play them much more often to keep legs fresh.

Why buy a quality back up when we should really be going out and signing a quality starter. That makes our squad stronger, surely? He shouldn't be starting for us next season if we are serious about contending. Our attack would look a lot more fluid with a left footed full back rather than somebody who has to toss and turn before putting in a cross too.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #29481: May 22, 2017 07:23:02 pm

Therein lies the problem with our squad. The only person with Champions League experience is the one person you really don't want to see starting next season. This weakness must be addressed this Summer because going into the competition without it will not end well for us.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #29482: May 22, 2017 08:12:09 pm
      - Do we flog Origi and find another player? Despite a patch around Christmas where he came in and played well I have been massively disappointed in him this season. I actually think he went backwards and was truly awful in some of our more recent games.

- It's nice that we aren't all debating the goal-keeper position! Migs has been excellent since coming back into the team and you know what, I actually have confidence in the lad! Never thought I'd say that. However, I'd be very tempted to roll the dice on another keeper and move on Karius.

Klopp's 3 main signings of last summer (Mane, Matip, Wijnaldum) have all worked out pretty good. Mane was obviously a stunning signing and the other two have both had pretty solid 1st seasons. If he can have similar success with another 3-4 players this ummer we'll be in good shape. I just hope the board back him.

Interesting questions mate, Origi is one of those that could look a terrible sale if we flogged him but I also don't see him getting almost any minutes next season. Is Woodburn our up and comer, does he jump ahead of Origi, if the answer to that is yes then we get rid in my opinion. Can't be sure that Ings will come back and get up to speed any time soon so we have to be sure we have enough cover if we do decide to sell but as you rightly say it looked much more like regression than progression in the final few months of the year.

Migs is an interesting one too, I've also been much happier with his return to the side, had his wobbles in there but overall he's been much improved in a few crucial areas. I think he's begun to show some bravery which didn't exist before (despite people telling you about his nose) and the command of his area (if a little reduced than top keepers) has improved markedly.

I'd also say that his willingness to come off his line and play as a sweeper has shown signs of improvement too, I believe this is probably training with Karius that has helped in this regards and the competition for places probably has brought him on a fair bit. It's good to see and for the first time in forever I think we have bigger problems and that's not because others have got worse, so fair play to Migs for that. Do I think if we still have a few quid left over we should look to improve upon him, certainly, but for sure he's got much better.

Finally, the Klopp signings. All positive from my view, even if Karius is the number 2, he's still the best number 2 we've had in the longest time. Grujic I see huge potential in, I think he's been very unlucky with injuries and he is one that will feel like a new signing next year. He'll get his experience in the cup games and could begin to challenge because I think the lad has quite a bit of talent and certainly great natural instincts. I'm really looking forward to whoever we sign because again, like last summer, I think they'll all have a purpose, all have a plan behind their purchase and all be wanted by the manager and that's all I can really ask for.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #29483: May 22, 2017 08:17:42 pm
      Think we'll bring in 5.

CB (Van Dijk looking like first choice), LB (Sessegnon), CM (Keita) and then a striker and a winger.

Agree with people saying Sessegnon at LB is a bit underwhelming. He's no doubt a very talented young player and I have no problems with us going after him but we should really be looking to get someone with more experience in as well. As for the attacking options, I'd love to see us break the bank for Lacazette but there will no doubt be a lot of competition for him and you know what we're like when other clubs are sniffing about.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #29484: May 22, 2017 08:19:23 pm
      Is there any substance to this Keita deal? For those who have watched him what do people make of him?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #29485: May 22, 2017 08:51:51 pm
      I see a lot of people mention we need a midfielder, but I wonder, is there a need for one? Midfield was only a problem because we lacked creativity there, but with Coutinho and Lallana available and playing as the 3rd midfielder, we should have enough? Could probably throw Firmino there too.

I'd take a gamble on Hendo with Can as back up and Lucas 3rd. And with #8 role, we have Can, Wijnaldum and Grujic.

Quick Reply