Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 2nd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4286436 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #31418: Aug 02, 2017 06:31:08 am
      I have to believe there's still a couple of players to come in, not  £70 milion Keita and Van Dijk like some still believe will happen ( although not as many now), but more likely a couple of players around the £15/£20 million mark.
      We were never going to sign Van Dijk without shifting Sakho for £30 million first, and Keita was only coming to replace Coutinho IMO.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #31419: Aug 02, 2017 07:11:08 am
      The forced optimism of this window is hilarious to watch.. The "spin" delusion is immense.

;D

Touche.

Cringe worthy isn't it.

« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2017 07:38:26 am by Beerbelly »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #31420: Aug 02, 2017 07:28:19 am
      We were never going to sign Van Dijk without shifting Sakho for £30 million first, and Keita was only coming to replace Coutinho IMO.

Really?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31421: Aug 02, 2017 07:58:27 am
      Luke: A good reply but as I can't do the multi quote thing I'll just pick a couple of bits out.

"I can only assume this is aimed at me and with regards Ward perhaps". No, I was on about Coutinho.

"Onto your point about the squad not being strong enough last season". It wasn't, even the manager admitted it.

" (Let's not forget you predicted 6th - 8th)". I didn't, I predicted 6th. Why lie?

"Who below us has strengthened massively". Man Utd, they've bought a bloke who is absolutely stone cold guaranteed to score 20 plus goals this season.

"After finishing 4th this year, only a fool would look at 4th again as a "huge achievement". Jürgen has already set his stall out that he expects to see us challenging for the title this season". Then I am a fool. I think unless we buy more players than "just" VVD and keep Coutinho, our squad isn't sufficiently deep and 4th will again be a fine effort.

Like I said though, good post and some good points.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #31422: Aug 02, 2017 08:00:43 am
      If this summer has excelled in anything, it's conspiracy theories over signing players. We've had things like FSG making offers but hoping they will be rejected, not signing a big player without letting Coutinho or whoever else go, plug would have been pulled late on if a big offer got accepted etc.

Sure is silly season.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #31423: Aug 02, 2017 08:53:21 am
      I have to believe there's still a couple of players to come in, not  £70 milion Keita and Van Dijk like some still believe will happen ( although not as many now), but more likely a couple of players around the £15/£20 million mark.

Come on man, surely you don't believe all of that?

Keita to replace Coutinho? That seriously makes so little sense.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #31424: Aug 02, 2017 09:27:07 am
      Why old chap that's ever so decent of you. 😎

There you have it lads... we have the go ahead to 'judge' - FSG's reign only officially starts... wait for it... wait for it... NOW. 😂

Or the next manager when Jürgen throws his hand in after finally realising he cannot acquit himself to the best of his ability under the financial constriction of JWH&Co.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #31425: Aug 02, 2017 09:38:43 am
      Come on man, surely you don't believe all of that?

Keita to replace Coutinho? That seriously makes so little sense.

It frees up the money to buy Keita, keeping the net spend low. Certainly like that way!
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #31426: Aug 02, 2017 09:43:47 am
      It's very simple. A lot of you thought FSG would allow a huge transfer budget this summer to aid our push for league and Euro glory.
      I never believed that, I already thought any huge sum spent would be subject to recouping most if that money back in outgoings.
      Now whether you belief it to be FSGs fault or not, our star players have been sold off to fund transfers previously.
      A leopard format change it's spots, and I don't believe FSG will either.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #31427: Aug 02, 2017 10:59:14 am
      Looks like Klopp's talent for developing players is going to be required again this season 😕

I'd like to see more of Marko Grujic.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #31428: Aug 02, 2017 12:11:56 pm
      I don't think that Jürgen has any problem what he comes up against as he is so positive so no worries on that score in my opinion.

The manager's preferred targets that is Keita and VVD are currently dead in the water, if what we are told is correct. This leads to the question of will that situation lead to an issue and confrontation if the owners persist with their 7+ years of F***ing minge bag transfer policies.

Perhaps somebody in their Boston enclave has decided Jürgen can operate within the bounds of the F***ing minge bag transfer policies, in these days of crazy transfer fees that is possibly a totally unreal expectation.
      Our manager does have considerable and respected footballing kudos, is he prepared to sacrifice that respect in a possibly unachievable quest to win glory on a shoestring?

The friendlies currently being played are a case in point, we win the semi and everyone is flapping 'cos Studge, who we are assured has turned a corner, takes the knock after scoring an outstanding goal.
      We all know the issues with the player yet nothing has been done to address the matter.
      Are we to go into the Prem with the same unresolved issues that could also apply to other areas of play in the team?
      A couple of trophies in pre-season friendlies are well and good but mean absolutely F**k all when the realities of the Prem and qualification for the CL are focussed.

The marriage of 'also rans' and a world class manager could be devoid of anniversaries, to say nothing of awards.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31429: Aug 02, 2017 12:22:20 pm
      Luke: A good reply but as I can't do the multi quote thing I'll just pick a couple of bits out.

"I can only assume this is aimed at me and with regards Ward perhaps". No, I was on about Coutinho.

"Onto your point about the squad not being strong enough last season". It wasn't, even the manager admitted it.

" (Let's not forget you predicted 6th - 8th)". I didn't, I predicted 6th. Why lie?

"Who below us has strengthened massively". Man Utd, they've bought a bloke who is absolutely stone cold guaranteed to score 20 plus goals this season.

"After finishing 4th this year, only a fool would look at 4th again as a "huge achievement". Jürgen has already set his stall out that he expects to see us challenging for the title this season". Then I am a fool. I think unless we buy more players than "just" VVD and keep Coutinho, our squad isn't sufficiently deep and 4th will again be a fine effort.

Like I said though, good post and some good points.

Out of interest why do you see Lukaku as such a big improvement on Ibrahimovich?

Also which specific areas do you think Klopp still needs to strengthen in?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #31430: Aug 02, 2017 12:35:46 pm
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #31431: Aug 02, 2017 12:37:43 pm
      It frees up the money to buy Keita, keeping the net spend low. Certainly like that way!

I don't think so mate. Keita was known to be a target of ours well before any speculation about Coutinho started. I still don't think there's any chance of Phil going anywhere this summer, and how long he stays for depends on whether we start challenging for trophies this season. If we don't, then he could well go next year. If you think that's true then it's pretty unlikely Keita's purchase would have to wait on us selling Couts, especially considering we supposedly bid for him several times before Barca even enquired about Phil.

At the start of the window I thought we needed first team quality in all three areas of the pitch, but particularly in the forward line (not necessarily a "proper striker", but a forward), a CM and a CB. We also desperately needed backup/competition for Milner at LB. We've signed Salah, who looks to be a great buy and allows us much more flexibility up front. Like Mane he can play anywhere along the front three. Solanke is a good one for the future, and a great opportunistic buy I think. Jury's out on Robertson and whether or not he's got what it takes to be a long term first team LB, but decent competition for now.

That leaves the CM and the CB, arguably two of the most important positions to reinforce considering injury problems last year. Matip and Lovren were both intermittent with their fitness, and obviously Henderson struggled most of the year. Looking at our squad now, with the addition of Salah in particular, there's an argument to be made that we could survive without another CM. Coutinho is clearly being earmarked to play deeper this year, with a starting front three of Mane, Salah and Firmino. If you include Lallana as a CM/CAM, then we actually have a lot of competition for those places. The only worry is that Lallana and Couts are both very attacking and definitely need someone like Henderson or Can to bring some balance to that midfield 3. You then have Gini who isn't as strong defensively as either of those two, but is better going forward. Perhaps Grujic will kick on this year too.

In conclusion I think the CB is the single most important thing we can get now. Matip and Lovren had a good partnership last year, and I thought they played well together (when they were both fit...) but it'll be such a risk to go into this season with those two, Klavan and Gomez. Klavan is okay back up at best, and although I really like Gomez and hope he shrugs off his injuries and kicks on, he is completely untested at CB (at this level) and I can see Klopp using him as a RB more often than not this season.

If we don't sign another centre back I'll be worried, as we'd be relying on being lucky with injuries, something I don't think we can afford this season back in the CL. Having said that I'll be surprised if we don't bring anyone else in this summer and I hope VVD forces Southampton's hand and we can get him in. If (and yes, that's a big IF at the moment) that does happen I'd say it's been a good window despite missing out on Keita. Unfortunately for us we'll just have to wait and see, and judge this window on its own merit once September 1st rolls around.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31432: Aug 02, 2017 12:39:29 pm
      I'd like to see more of Marko Grujic.

Me too, in fact we have a lot of very talented youngsters knocking on the door.

I still come back to the fact that Klopp seems very very relaxed about FSG constantly screwing him over with transfers, can someone explain that one to me?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #31433: Aug 02, 2017 12:41:04 pm
      Me too, in fact we have a lot of very talented youngsters knocking on the door.

I still come back to the fact that Klopp seems very very relaxed about FSG constantly screwing him over with transfers, can someone explain that one to me?

How is FSG screwing him over again? I must have missed that one? Did they tell him to go after VVD and Keita or did Klopp decide those were his targets (and subsequently tap up VVD in Blackpool?)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31434: Aug 02, 2017 12:50:04 pm
      The manager's preferred targets that is Keita and VVD are currently dead in the water, if what we are told is correct. This leads to the question of will that situation lead to an issue and confrontation if the owners persist with their 7+ years of f**king minge bag transfer policies.

Perhaps somebody in their Boston enclave has decided Jürgen can operate within the bounds of the f**king minge bag transfer policies, in these days of crazy transfer fees that is possibly a totally unreal expectation.
      Our manager does have considerable and respected footballing kudos, is he prepared to sacrifice that respect in a possibly unachievable quest to win glory on a shoestring?

The friendlies currently being played are a case in point, we win the semi and everyone is flapping 'cos Studge, who we are assured has turned a corner, takes the knock after scoring an outstanding goal.
      We all know the issues with the player yet nothing has been done to address the matter.
      Are we to go into the Prem with the same unresolved issues that could also apply to other areas of play in the team?
      A couple of trophies in pre-season friendlies are well and good but mean absolutely f**k all when the realities of the Prem and qualification for the CL are focussed.

The marriage of 'also rans' and a world class manager could be devoid of anniversaries, to say nothing of awards.

How is the failure to secure those 2 players the owners fault, please explain that one to me, it seems they were willing to spend £70 million on Keita, not exactly scrimping is it and I still believe that VVD will be done, its certainly not an issue of funds.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31435: Aug 02, 2017 12:50:49 pm
      How is FSG screwing him over again? I must have missed that one? Did they tell him to go after VVD and Keita or did Klopp decide those were his targets (and subsequently tap up VVD in Blackpool?)

I agree with you that FSG are NOT screwing him over, that was my point.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #31436: Aug 02, 2017 01:05:13 pm
      How is the failure to secure those 2 players the owners fault, please explain that one to me, it seems they were willing to spend £70 million on Keita, not exactly scrimping is it and I still believe that VVD will be done, its certainly not an issue of funds.

What if the Van Dijk deal doesn't materialize? Who's fault well that be?
      We've been told that money isnt a problem since they arrived, but I've yet to see any serious money spent. We bid £66 million on a player that wasn't for sale, we've yet to bid anything for Van Dijk. What's the hold up? Southampton are a selling club, surely it's only a matter of meeting their fee.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #31437: Aug 02, 2017 01:07:54 pm
      Well was it FSG that met with him in Blackpool? Had we not pissed off Soton by trying to circumvent the normal process (lodge a bid, then talk to player once it's been accepted), maybe he'd already be our player.

We've been told that money isnt a problem since they arrived, but I've yet to see any serious money spent. We bid £66 million on a player that wasn't for sale, we've yet to bid anything for Van Dijk. What's the hold up? Southampton are a selling club, surely it's only a matter of meeting their fee.
      Again, it seems that we would meet their fee but of course our cringey apology stands in the way of us doing that unless he throws his toys out and publicly lobbies for a transfer to us.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #31438: Aug 02, 2017 01:13:42 pm

Right, well on that, like I said in my reply to you I wasn't referring to a 'successful window' only about squad depth. With regards letting Coutinho go, unless someone better came in it would be stupid to do so, that's obvious.

Should his retention be seen as part of a successful window, well I can understand where people are coming from with that and the argument has some merit when we see the likes of Neymar now off to PSG. Holding on to your best players appears to be becoming a more difficult task from my view, the drive in these young lads is more and more towards the money as it becomes absolutely ludicrous how much they're offered.

However the only way any window can be measured is by looking at it as a whole.

It wasn't for what? It wasn't to challenge for the title, that is clear but to achieve what our realistic goal was, then it's also clear it was. The facts are the facts and there's no alternative to them.

I seem to remember very clearly that you said 6th to 8th in one of the debates, but if I'm wrong it's simply a case of my old memory letting me down Mick, not a lie. I'm happy to say 6th was your prediction because in my book the difference between 6th and 8th or just 6th is pretty meaningless.

I think they've bought poorly and will continue to struggle to get into the top 4. Their style of football is obvious, 2 DM and Pogba with a free role, trying to set up Lukaku. I don't think it will work and while Lukaku may well score 20 goals, I don't think for a moment that United will either out score us, or finish above us.

"Fine effort" is a bit of a difference from "huge achievement". There's a problem with this one because I think we will buy more than just VvD and keep Coutinho, I think a CM will also be bought and perhaps another LB although Alby just threw us a curve ball last night to be fair to him. However I'm happy to say that if we only get VvD and keep Coutinho (on top of our other business) then 4th would be 'par' and my expectations would be 2nd/3rd as I think Chelsea will once again be very difficult to catch.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #31439: Aug 02, 2017 01:23:49 pm
      I wish people would stop parroting this line to somehow justify the lack of spending. Players coming back from injury aren't like new signings. They are like players that you counted on but couldn't use because they were injured and now you wonder how much use you will get out of them before they are injured again (especially in the case of Ings and Sturridge).

So by this logic, are players that get injured like outgoing transfers?

Not parroting or justifying anything pal, its my opinion just like you have yours.

This is what's wrong with social media these days, everyone is always on the defensive or too quick to slag someone off.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31440: Aug 02, 2017 01:38:02 pm

How do you know what's going on regarding VVD, maybe they are negotiating as we speak.
      BTW if Barca don't get Couts, who's fault will that be, will it be their owners or will it be us for saying he's NOT for sale???

is it basically always the owners fault whatever bad happens?

Quick Reply