Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 31st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4281707 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #40756: Aug 08, 2019 11:55:19 am
      So we've basically weakened the team this summer and turned a profit then, I really really hope Klopp knows what he is doing here because to me it seems insane.

Yes Sturridge and Moreno were not much used and were a little bit sh*t but they were experienced professionals and we have not replaced either one, unless Klopp will be playing Brewster a lot more than some on here expect and also is ready to promote one of the young Left backs. If not then our squad has been slimmed down when it needed beefing up.

BTW Yes I know our midfield is better with the return of Ox and fingers crossed Lallana but that is the only area that is. Defence and Attack are weaker.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #40757: Aug 08, 2019 12:09:08 pm
      As it stands, this Summer Transfer Window has been a write off. Nothing positive has happened. A completely missed opportunity, and despite the attempted explanations and excuses given by Klopp, it's just wrong.

Firstly, stop pretending that keeping Salah, Mane, and Firmino was huge for the club. It was simple. It was a given. We did nothing to retain them. Why would they leave? After a superb season and winning the CL it would be madness for them to even consider leaving. Even if in an unlikely situation a club managed to turn the head of one of these guys, there is no way that they would be leaving this Summer e.g. Coutinho. So, come the new season we were always going to still have the same forward line.

Secondly, how have we strengthened? Oh, we got Lallana and Ox back (and could yet be on the physio bench), and an untested Brewster who is suddenly the next world class Striker we have always dreamed of. Well, right now he ain't, and what we are dreaming about is his potential. Could go spectacularly, could backfire. In any case, it's a gamble.

But no signing really? Happy with what we have - when we've been banging on about how strong Man City depth is? Klopp has said himself that City can field two teams. Yet he decides to buy no-one?

There are plenty of options out there. Zaha, Coutinho, Pepe, to name a few. Our back up to Mane, Salah, and Firmino is Origi. Think about that for a moment. Salah is seemingly back to his best but we saw how injury affected him. Firmino was out of form for part of the season, and we struggled. Now we have to hope that neither of these get injured throughout the season. If so, the season will achieve nothing.

We should have bought. We wasted the opportunity and the huge momentum we had following our Cup win. European Champions.. but now gambling on what we have, rather than strengthening like our rivals.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,245 posts | 3495 
      Reply #40758: Aug 08, 2019 12:09:33 pm
      Haha I don't think so mate plus I believe he signed with another team yesterday (can't remember who).

However, someone like Frank Ribery would do for me. Highly experienced, serial winner and still a bloody skilful b***ard at 35!

He has gone to Watford

Ribery has struggled with injuries recently but certainly one who could fill a spot
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #40759: Aug 08, 2019 12:10:53 pm
      So we've basically weakened the team this summer and turned a profit then, I really really hope Klopp knows what he is doing here because to me it seems insane.

Yes Sturridge and Moreno were not much used and were a little bit sh*t but they were experienced professionals and we have not replaced either one, unless Klopp will be playing Brewster a lot more than some on here expect and also is ready to promote one of the young Left backs. If not then our squad has been slimmed down when it needed beefing up.

BTW Yes I know our midfield is better with the return of Ox and fingers crossed Lallana but that is the only area that is. Defence and Attack are weaker.

Defense is not weaker, Moreno was dog sh1t, he hardly played last season, Gomez, Milner and the young lads in u23s are ample cover for Robbo.

Sturridge hardly played, and was basically replaced by Origi 2nd half of season, so no real change there.

Brewster, the Ox & Lallana are all new options for this season.

The big test of the squad is going to be the cups, league cup 1st, if we can get a decent draw thsi season, the squad & u23 guys have a great chance of getting more games than they did last season.

All good.
      rossyred

• 9,315 posts | 1672 
      Reply #40760: Aug 08, 2019 12:15:43 pm
      Would take Ribery for a season no brainer watched him at Anfield and he was their biggest threat
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,245 posts | 3495 
      Reply #40761: Aug 08, 2019 12:15:58 pm

We haven’t weakened the team - stop being so bloody overreactionary -

Players going out have been replaced in the squad.

Your constant moaning every day is driving people mad.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40762: Aug 08, 2019 12:24:34 pm
      As it stands, this Summer Transfer Window has been a write off. Nothing positive has happened. A completely missed opportunity, and despite the attempted explanations and excuses given by Klopp, it's just wrong.

Firstly, stop pretending that keeping Salah, Mane, and Firmino was huge for the club. It was simple. It was a given. We did nothing to retain them. Why would they leave? After a superb season and winning the CL it would be madness for them to even consider leaving. Even if in an unlikely situation a club managed to turn the head of one of these guys, there is no way that they would be leaving this Summer e.g. Coutinho. So, come the new season we were always going to still have the same forward line.

Secondly, how have we strengthened? Oh, we got Lallana and Ox back (and could yet be on the physio bench), and an untested Brewster who is suddenly the next world class Striker we have always dreamed of. Well, right now he ain't, and what we are dreaming about is his potential. Could go spectacularly, could backfire. In any case, it's a gamble.

But no signing really? Happy with what we have - when we've been banging on about how strong Man City depth is? Klopp has said himself that City can field two teams. Yet he decides to buy no-one?

There are plenty of options out there. Zaha, Coutinho, Pepe, to name a few. Our back up to Mane, Salah, and Firmino is Origi. Think about that for a moment. Salah is seemingly back to his best but we saw how injury affected him. Firmino was out of form for part of the season, and we struggled. Now we have to hope that neither of these get injured throughout the season. If so, the season will achieve nothing.

We should have bought. We wasted the opportunity and the huge momentum we had following our Cup win. European Champions.. but now gambling on what we have, rather than strengthening like our rivals.

We have to hope that none of our forwards get injured OR have a loss of form and that obviously will not happen, no striker ever goes through a whole season without a dip in form yet that's what Klopp is banking on, its insane and it will bite us in the arse. I actually think we'll end up in third place this season as I think Spurs will be the main challenger to City and that really pains me to say.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40763: Aug 08, 2019 12:29:43 pm
      Defense is not weaker, Moreno was dog sh1t, he hardly played last season, Gomez, Milner and the young lads in u23s are ample cover for Robbo.

Sturridge hardly played, and was basically replaced by Origi 2nd half of season, so no real change there.

Brewster, the Ox & Lallana are all new options for this season.

The big test of the squad is going to be the cups, league cup 1st, if we can get a decent draw thsi season, the squad & u23 guys have a great chance of getting more games than they did last season.

All good.

I said that Sturridge and Moreno were average at best but they were still senior players we could play and who could do an ok'ish job, we have lost both of them, it is a loss whatever way you look at it. Sure we have some promising youngsters but should European champions be so threadbare that they have to rely on untested youngsters as their main backup players (I'm including Brewster in this).
      I'm very happy to have Ox back but it might take half a season before we see him back at his best and only an idiot would rely on sick note Lallana for any reasonable run of games.
      The Gomez thing confuses me a bit, we did have him half of last season and have plenty of cover anyway at CB so don't see that as any huge plus.

We needed to get one top notch forward this transfer window and we failed, it will cost us, sorry to say it but it will unless we are freskishly lucky with form and injuries.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,245 posts | 3495 
      Reply #40764: Aug 08, 2019 12:43:41 pm
      and your constant head in sand and refusal to face reality is vexing me. Anyway I've said my piece now so I'll just cross my fingers and hope we can somehow make it through to January or next summer and that we have no injuries to our forwards.

Just because you keep stamping your feet doesn’t make it reality

He is reality for you

How many times was Moreno needed ? When Robbo was out did we use Moreno ?

How many times was Sturridge needed ?

You make it sound as if we are on a cliff edge ffs

This team and squad won the CL last season even with injuries and the people who have left weren’t required

No one has their head in the sand - It’s you acting like the spoilt kid at Xmas who didn’t get his new bike

And now your talking as if Spurs are going to make up the massive gap to us
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40765: Aug 08, 2019 12:52:28 pm
      Just because you keep stamping your feet doesn’t make it reality

He is reality for you

How many times was Moreno needed ? When Robbo was out did we use Moreno ?

How many times was Sturridge needed ?

You make it sound as if we are on a cliff edge ffs

This team and squad won the CL last season even with injuries and the people who have left weren’t required

No one has their head in the sand - It’s you acting like the spoilt kid at Xmas who didn’t get his new bike

And now your talking as if Spurs are going to make up the massive gap to us

I have said my piece on this, we'll agree to disagree and I hope I'm wrong.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #40766: Aug 08, 2019 02:00:20 pm
      Nothing positive has happened.

There was zero drama concerning outgoings. That's a huge positive. Just last year we dealt with losing Coutinho and also the noise surrounding Salah and even Mane possibly being wanted by Madrid.

There's been not even one inkling that anything like that could happen.

We kept the Champion's League winning team together, we've added some up and comers and stripped some dead weight. It's been a very positive summer in that respect. It's frustrating to not see any backup striker or LB but Klopp obviously believes the youngsters (or James) can do the job wherever we need fill ins. Whether you or I agree with that doesn't matter I guess since Klopp is the one on the hook if it all goes pear shaped.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #40767: Aug 08, 2019 02:03:13 pm
      Question for all: If we win the Premier League this season, and no other trophy, would you consider the season a success?
      DanMann

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #40768: Aug 08, 2019 02:06:15 pm
      Question for all: If we win the Premier League this season, and no other trophy, would you consider the season a success?

What - the trophy that the club and fans have been desperate to win for decades? Obviously yes.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #40769: Aug 08, 2019 02:29:18 pm

Is this a rhetorical question? :P
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40770: Aug 08, 2019 02:31:09 pm

Yes
      Derfish
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #40771: Aug 08, 2019 02:40:47 pm

Obviously.

A better question would be if we only won, say, the FA Cup this season (while still finishing top 4). Is that a success?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #40772: Aug 08, 2019 02:48:13 pm
      Obviously.

A better question would be if we only won, say, the FA Cup this season (while still finishing top 4). Is that a success?

No, my question is better.
      Scottbot

• 9,627 posts | 2160 
      Reply #40773: Aug 08, 2019 02:48:57 pm

It’s a dumb question! Of course we bloody would!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #40774: Aug 08, 2019 02:52:39 pm
      It’s a dumb question! Of course we bloody would!

Not a dumb question in context of all the comments about how we need cover because we won't be as good IN THE CUPS because we can't rotate like City can.

Now that people.are on the record that winning Prem only would be a success, hopefully that talk will subside.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #40775: Aug 08, 2019 02:56:48 pm
      Andy Carroll has signed with Newcastle. *Sigh*  That could have been us.

Oh wait, that was us.

Scottbot

• 9,627 posts | 2160 
      Reply #40776: Aug 08, 2019 02:57:37 pm
      Not a dumb question in context of all the comments about how we need cover because we won't be as good IN THE CUPS because we can't rotate like City can.

Now that people.are on the record that winning Prem only would be a success, hopefully that talk will subside.

That doesn’t mean people don’t want win the cups, given we haven’t won the bloody league for 30 years the cups still represent our best chance of finest IV success.

By the same rationale any poster who has had strong opinions about us not needing to go into the transfer window (and there are quite a few who share this viewpoint) Have they waived their right to criticise and complain if we perform poorly in the cups again this year? Be interesting to see if that proves to be the case in the March threads when the games come around.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #40777: Aug 08, 2019 03:00:24 pm

What about if your concern is cover injury or lost of form during the Premiership season?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #40778: Aug 08, 2019 03:22:11 pm
      That doesn’t mean people don’t want win the cups, given we haven’t won the bloody league for 30 years the cups still represent our best chance of finest IV success.

By the same rationale any poster who has had strong opinions about us not needing to go into the transfer window (and there are quite a few who share this viewpoint) Have they waived their right to criticise and complain if we perform poorly in the cups again this year? Be interesting to see if that proves to be the case in the March threads when the games come around.

Never said anybody didn't want to win anything.  The question of buying this window has been applied directly to domestic cups and City winning the treble.

We have a team, with depth included,  to contend for the Premier League and the Champions League. We already know that

Free speech includes the right to complain. Whether said complaint is valid will be a perpetual cause of debate. You also have the right to call my question stupid, although I'm not aware of any problem we have had on here. I know I've repped you over the years

Quick Reply