Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4205849 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #31027: Jul 14, 2017 10:14:52 am
      That's what I mean when I say the EPL is trapped in its own bubble.

Ā£70m for VVD and Bonucci goes for Ā£35m.
      Bonucci can hit shots very well too.. a scoring defender. AC Milan aren't in CL next season, he would have came here.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #31028: Jul 14, 2017 10:26:04 am
      Bonucci can hit shots very well too.. a scoring defender. AC Milan aren't in CL next season, he would have came here.

Doesn't want to leave Italy.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #31029: Jul 14, 2017 10:40:32 am

No he wouldn't have.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31030: Jul 14, 2017 10:47:01 am
      I'm sure this is the wrong thread for this, but I just read this and thought of you, that you might enjoy it. It's a quote from Michael Robinson on Ian Rush:

ā€˜On the pitch, Ian could smell fear in the opposition,ā€™ Robinson says, dilating his nostrils. ā€˜He was a beast, an animal ā€“ purely instinctive. He may have had some problems with reading the text of certain newspapers. He wasnā€™t blessed with an intellect, yet he was a genius of football. Ian was somebody that made me look a great player in the air. Whenever Bruce knocked it long from a goal-kick, Iā€™d look to lay it off, and Rushy would always be one step ahead by reading my corporeal language. He could taste football and was incredibly intelligent on the ļ¬eld. He was unconscious and had no fear of failure ā€“ something that perhaps more intellectual folk suffer from. Ian was unaware but an unbelievable footballer and undoubtedly the most lethal striker that has ever played for Liverpool. I had little in common with him, but he was a kind soul.ā€™

The whole thing is from a Simon Hughes book excerpt in TAW just now: https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/07/michael-robinson-a-complete-chapter-from-red-machine-liverpool-fc-in-the-80s-the-players-stories/

I found it far more interesting than reading all of us repeat ourselves about LFC transfer business.  :)

I would say that there are 2 types of great footballers, there are the genuinely intelligent ones, like Zidane, Gerrard etc and then there are the raw instinct but thick as pigshit ones like Rooney and Rush. I'm not quite sure what's best, perhaps it is the instinctive ones who don't over-analayse to much.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #31031: Jul 14, 2017 11:01:43 am
      Quality business for Spurs that.

50m and Trippier's a better player than Walker anyway.

Always liked Trippier (preferred him to Clyne at the time) so I get you Chats but I always see things with my football head on.

Chances are - City will be stronger with Walker and Spurs weaker so, yes, I agree that it's good financially but it is poor in the footballing sense (in my opinion).

Tell you what though - and I know I've laboured the point re Tierney at Celtic - but I think he's a better more rounded full-back than Walker now (yes I know on other side) so lord knows what he'll fetch if and when he does leave Parkhead.

Would've loved to see us test Peter Lawell's business model this summer.

Edit: as a 2nd choice I remain very comfortable with Andy Robertson - I believe he's a significant upgrade on Milner and a damn fine footballer. I just couldn't help but wonder about Tierney again when I saw Walker fetch that kinda money......
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #31032: Jul 14, 2017 11:32:21 am
      Tell you what though - and I know I've laboured the point re Tierney at Celtic - but I think he's a better more rounded full-back than Walker now (yes I know on other side) so lord knows what he'll fetch if and when he does leave Parkhead.

The fact he plays in the SPL (and is therefore untested in a top league) surely means he'll not go for *that* much though, I'd think.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #31033: Jul 14, 2017 12:01:45 pm
      That's a decent price and Italian league much more suited for him.

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/885816195810775041
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #31034: Jul 14, 2017 12:01:53 pm
      The fact he plays in the SPL (and is therefore untested in a top league) surely means he'll not go for *that* much though, I'd think.

Yeh agreed Diego (hope you're good :)) but only to a point.

I'm not suggesting twice the player = twice the money just that I'd speculated previously that in 12 months I think he will Ā£20m - Ā£30m.

On Walker's valuation that could be conservative. He'll have had 2 seasons in Champs League this time next yr and any English team who wants him before he's cup tied by playing next year will have to pay a premium.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,411 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #31035: Jul 14, 2017 12:29:02 pm

Would've loved to see us test Peter Lawell's business model this summer.

Edit: as a 2nd choice I remain very comfortable with Andy Robertson - I believe he's a significant upgrade on Milner and a damn fine footballer. I just couldn't help but wonder about Tierney again when I saw Walker fetch that kinda money......

That praise for tierney is Brendan-esque
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #31036: Jul 14, 2017 12:40:34 pm
      That praise for tierney is Brendan-esque

No this isn't a Borini etc mate this kid IS the real deal.

Was only connecting to one of my previous ones when I made the point though......and shall retire it now ;)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #31037: Jul 14, 2017 03:58:37 pm
      No this isn't a Borini etc mate this kid IS the real deal.

Was only connecting to one of my previous ones when I made the point though......and shall retire it now ;)

For a team just coming into the EPL, or maybe an Everton, 20M for Tierney would make a lot of sense.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #31038: Jul 14, 2017 06:51:56 pm
      Lots of reports we're close to signing Robertson for Ā£8 million.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #31039: Jul 14, 2017 06:56:24 pm
      Lots of reports we're close to signing Robertson for Ā£8 million.

new reports?
      oh i see now.

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2017 07:09:13 pm by Robby The Z »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #31040: Jul 14, 2017 07:10:37 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/14/lazio-liverpool-lucas-leiva-transfer

as bazspeedman was saying.

If it's a left-footed left back you like....

Wonder if they can arrange a ticket to China for him?
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #31041: Jul 14, 2017 08:03:44 pm
      Got a feeling that Robertson could be a really shrewd signing! But wonder why we didnt test Celtic's resolve by putting in a bid for Kieran Tierney
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #31042: Jul 15, 2017 01:18:18 am
      Got a feeling that Robertson could be a really shrewd signing! But wonder why we didnt test Celtic's resolve by putting in a bid for Kieran Tierney
      Maybe so. but is this a sign that Klopp is not fully in charge of transfers as FSG would have the supporters believe?... Surely (1) Klopp as never heard of the lad  (2) there Left back in Germany and around Europe that Klopp rates  (3) this has to be a Transfer Committee attempted signing...
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #31043: Jul 15, 2017 01:58:47 am
      Maybe so. but is this a sign that Klopp is not fully in charge of transfers as FSG would have the supporters believe?... Surely (1) Klopp as never heard of the lad  (2) there Left back in Germany and around Europe that Klopp rates  (3) this has to be a Transfer Committee attempted signing...

You don't think that JĆ¼rgen uses his scouts?

Never heard of him? ...you don't think he saw him play against us last season or did the gaffer call in sick those two matches? ...nobody gets signed unless he says so and there has been talk of this fella since about April.

And I would love if you can share with us Klopps list of players he rates as you seem to have a copy of it.

Give your head a good wobble why don't ya.

"Oh by the way JĆ¼rgen we picked up a left back for ya, you've never heard of him but we figured you needed one so we just went ahead and got him for ya...cheers"
      « Last Edit: Jul 15, 2017 05:38:29 am by AZPatriot »
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #31044: Jul 15, 2017 07:48:46 am
      The scout might of identify Robertson, it's possible Brendan might have mentioned him to someone at the club.

But after a player is spotted there will be a process of different people watching and taking notes and giving their opinion to the Boss/ transfer committee (the relevant people)'. They will then decide if he is good enough and worth making a bid.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31045: Jul 15, 2017 08:11:12 am
      And I would love if you can share with us Klopps list of players he rates as you seem to have a copy of it.

Give your head a good wobble why don't ya.
      The fella is only offering his opinion on what JĆ¼rgen is thinking/doing: what's wrong with that?  :laugh:

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31046: Jul 15, 2017 08:46:12 am
      Maybe so. but is this a sign that Klopp is not fully in charge of transfers as FSG would have the supporters believe?
      You're right RDR, the truth is; JĆ¼rgen is just happy to go along with the Sporting Director's ["scouts"] player suggestions, just as he did at Dortmund and Mainz. 

That, reliance on a Sporting Director for transfers and JĆ¼rgen's fondness for it, are very well documented - I'm surprised the folk who 'know' JĆ¼rgen haven't mentioned it more (than the 'total control' bull) to be honest.  :-\

When you know that; it becomes clear, (although, as he said, he will take full responsibility for signings), that whilst JĆ¼rgen might mention a player he wants, he leaves the majority of the identification and signing of targets to others: Edward's, his analytical programs and the 'scouts', in this instance.

Evidence of which, I suppose, you have touched on when you pointed out that weirdly enough; quite a few 'targets' haven't changed from Rodgers' time in charge.  :o

To be fair that "coincidence" may be down to a number of things and not the influence of the Sporting Director [T.C.], of course. It may well be, for example, that JĆ¼rgen just happens to rate the exact same players as Brendan did. Wouldn't that be funny?  :laugh:

It may be too cynical to suggest, as one Red did to me, that previous failures to sign primary targets were used to steer JĆ¼rgen towards previously scouted T.C. preferences.

Still... when push comes to shove, it's what you do with what you have in front of you and, after a slow start, JĆ¼rgen is getting there fast.  8)
      « Last Edit: Jul 15, 2017 09:10:35 am by bad boy bubby »
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #31047: Jul 15, 2017 09:10:13 am
      I don't  know what  the problem  is
      Do we have the money  to   get players  in ,or  Klopp  is happy with the  team.Why don't  we  go for  Aubameyang.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #31048: Jul 15, 2017 09:17:04 am
      I don't  know what  the problem  is
      Do we have the money  to   get players  in ,or  Klopp  is happy with the  team.Why don't  we  go for  Aubameyang.

I think it comes down to numbers in the squad, number of players in that position, meeting the HG quota for the CL (possibly), facing the fact that our top 3 most expensive signings could cost us about 195m-210m (Van Dijk - 65m-70m, Keita 65-70m, Aubameyang 65-70m), then you've also got the wages on top of that. IF, and that's a huge IF, we were to make a move for him it wouldn't be until later in the window when we manage to offload our deadwood and it could also mean getting rid of somebody like Origi. I don't think we will make an offer for him though.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #31049: Jul 15, 2017 09:48:51 am
      I think it comes down to numbers in the squad, number of players in that position, meeting the HG quota for the CL (possibly), facing the fact that our top 3 most expensive signings could cost us about 195m-210m (Van Dijk - 65m-70m, Keita 65-70m, Aubameyang 65-70m), then you've also got the wages on top of that. IF, and that's a huge IF, we were to make a move for him it wouldn't be until later in the window when we manage to offload our deadwood and it could also mean getting rid of somebody like Origi. I don't think we will make an offer for him though.

Agree with you here. I think we would have to make up our mind to shift out at least 2 strikers before we can think of getting in an expensive one like Aubameyang.

Quick Reply