Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4199783 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #31257: Jul 26, 2017 03:33:13 pm
      I agree with what your saying. We have striker options now. Solanke looks good but he is raw like Origi but doesn't mean he doesn't have the talent to succeed here. I for one would also love to see Ings running at defenders and showing what we bought him for in the first place. These are all options for us if they stay fit. With the big money signings we're after VVD is to improve us in a position we struggled with last season and the season before that. Keita is a plan for Klopp to play 2 holding midfielders I think.

Both those players would improve us (VvD and Keita), but our defensive woes also stem from the fact we play an open game with a very high line, and ask the full backs to play high up the field.
      Some pace at CB wouldn't go amiss.

I'd expect Keita to play in Wijnaldums position rather than a pairing with Henderson, if we're going to talk about a rigid positional system.
      However, Klopp isn't really one for rigid positional systems, and expects players to interchange intelligently, so when you see Henderson getting forwards, you'll often see Wijnaldum drop deeper, or Milner to step across from FB.
      This type of football leaves gaps though, so while I think we can improve defensively, I don't expect us to become miserly about conceding under Klopp.

Regarding Ings, we all know the lad has been incredibly unlucky.
      The question now is whether or not he has retained the physical attributes that saw him do well before we bought him.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #31258: Jul 26, 2017 05:05:30 pm
      Does anyone know how much a player will improve a team? teams can spend all they like but it doesn't mean the players bought will improve them, Look at City as an example, 50m on Stones 50m on Sterling, not exactly setting the world alight, you win some you lose some. As Mr Klopp says, "give me 11 players and we will be competitive" they haven't all got to be so called "stars".
      Raheem Sterling finished the season with 10 goals and 21 assists. His finishing could use a lot of work though.

Stones was one that they bought because he was great on the ball, and paid through the nose because he was British. Anyone that had watched him play at Everton knew that he was a liability in defense....but City also needed homegrown players with UEFA mandating that you need 8 homegrown players; 4 of those being from the team itself.

Onto the original point, City had two right backs aged 34 and 32 who did not give the much last season, and both were out of contract. They needed replacing, and City have got arguably the best RB in the league last season, and another player who was highly rated before he joined Real Madrid; I do not know of anyone who can come in and say that that is a negative. You would have to be naive to think that.

Why did people want Salah, Keita, and Van Dijk? Because they had the potential to walk into the team and improve it; such is their skill set and performance level in their last season. I know of someone who said that the team ought to have been looking at him (Keita) last year before he moved to Leipzig.

Would there be some chemistry issues early on? For some players, yes, for some it is not something that is an issue.

When it comes to Paul Tomkins, I always think that his worked is riddled with errors, and this is something that he was called out on. You cannot come and take all big transfers and make a blanket statement that most big transfers do not work. Some teams manage to do well when it comes to spending big money, some tend to not do so well. It was the same thing that happened when he was questioned about the flaws about his index on inflation, and his assessment that wage bill theory.

Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #31259: Jul 26, 2017 05:12:47 pm
      Hearing these rebuttal attempts to the obvious notion that were lacking quality AND depth are embarrasing..
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #31260: Jul 26, 2017 06:19:16 pm
      Ross Barkley anyone? Forget that he's a blue. For the right price I think he could be a very good player under Klopp. Won't happen but interested in people's thoughts
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #31261: Jul 26, 2017 06:40:12 pm
      Ross Barkley anyone? Forget that he's a blue. For the right price I think he could be a very good player under Klopp. Won't happen but interested in people's thoughts

My thoughts aren't printable
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #31262: Jul 26, 2017 06:41:19 pm

No, we need good players.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31263: Jul 26, 2017 06:53:30 pm

Mick, it's funny you weigh in to a debate about a perceived lack of quality when you start topics like "Let's back the lads 100%" and you managed to have faith in an inferior manager with an inferior squad to actually win the title in 2014/15.

What an odd post. And there was me getting all ready to call whoever had said we wouldn't finish in the top half a complete fool, I was on your side there for a bit. Incidently I DO think we should back the lads 100%, and I DID back the inferior manager to win the title in 2015. I'm not sure I agree on the relative squad strength though. Suarez (the Uruguayan bloke, big teeth, scored lots of goals) at the time was the best player in the league by absolutely miles if you remember.

Anyway as you have failed to point me in the direction of said numpty who has said "unless we spend 200 million we won't finish in the top half" I'm going to have to have to assume you are making up your little stories again. Come on, nobody said it did they?

Did you have an imaginary friend at school?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #31264: Jul 26, 2017 07:20:28 pm

Not with standing the obvious reasons why it would never happen the lad is too lazy off the ball to play in a Klopp side. In fact that is one of the reasons Koeman wants rid. He si ply doesn't have the work rate for a top side
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #31265: Jul 26, 2017 07:21:31 pm

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that!
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #31266: Jul 26, 2017 07:37:40 pm
      I agree with what your saying. We have striker options now. Solanke looks good but he is raw like Origi but doesn't mean he doesn't have the talent to succeed here. I for one would also love to see Ings running at defenders and showing what we bought him for in the first place. These are all options for us if they stay fit. With the big money signings we're after VVD is to improve us in a position we struggled with last season and the season before that. Keita is a plan for Klopp to play 2 holding midfielders I think.

I'm of the complete opposite opinion, I think our striking options are woeful. Studge is a pale shadow of his former self even when he is fit, Origiwent backwards last season, with the exception of a few weeks over Christmas he was terrible. Doesn't use his physical attributes, doesn't hold it up well enough and has zero impact against the bus parkers, he should be 4th choice at best. Danny Ings, questionable quality before he came and two terrible injuries later, not for me. And then we've got Firmino, terrific in the false 9 role against the top sides but largely invisible against the bus parkers. And then there's young Solanki, he has made a bright start and looks to have some potential. It's a shame we might end up relying on him a little more than we should.

Center-forward and our apparent disinterest in purchasing a decent one is the one doubt I have about Juergen. I can't understand why he doesn't see the same issues?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #31267: Jul 26, 2017 10:26:57 pm

Sounds like the transfer committee's idea of replacing Coutinho  :couch:
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #31268: Jul 26, 2017 10:33:57 pm
      Sounds like the transfer committee's idea of replacing Coutinho  :couch:

No the old transfer committees idea would have been Robson-Kanu
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #31269: Jul 26, 2017 10:35:40 pm
      No the old transfer committees idea would have been Robson-Kanu

No need for the six worst words in the world then!!
      rogni
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #31270: Jul 27, 2017 12:14:38 am
      It wasn't that long ago I was getting excited about the possibility of Salah, Keita and VVD strengthening our squad massively considering we were not going to lose any of our first pick players and yet now there appears to be more chance of losing Phil and Can than picking up our own top picks.  I hate this silly season! If Phil goes (I'll be gutted as he is a delight to behold) who on earth do we replace him with? Sanchez? Different player I know but he would certainly make a real difference to our team!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #31271: Jul 27, 2017 12:19:06 am

Oh man he is honking crap! A lumbering, brainless waste of space.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #31272: Jul 27, 2017 12:20:20 am
      haha.. very funny.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #31273: Jul 27, 2017 12:52:52 am
      2) Chelsea are adding depth, and they have the likes of Remy and Christensen back at the club. Those may become important role players, and they are still open to adding in the market.

City were better in attack last season, they just got better in that department by adding Bernardo Silva, they will get even better when Gundogan returns, and they now have fullbacks that can overlap and get back. You are also unlikely to see Guardiola experimenting as he did with Sagna and Kolarov at CB, something that cost them quite a few goals on set pieces.

Arsenal have just added a striker that bangs in goals, someone that is more clinical than what they have in their team. Going to 3 at the back also had the desired effect because they started conceding fewer goals than they were earlier in the season. This is another team that is not team that is not yet done in the market. Talk is that they will target Lemar to help take the creative load off Ozil and one more before the season starts.

United have just added one of the best young strikers in the league, added another CB, and they are looking at getting a winger and a midfielder. I believe that Pogba will be better, but there is no reason as to why we cannot see better performances form Martial, Mkhitaryan, Rashford, and there is no reason to think that they will be so poor at finishing chances in games they dominate as was the case last season.

I think Chelsea will be the threat again but they've just replaced Costa with Morata and Terry with Rudiger. Probably improvements but no added depth and their only addition in numbers is signing a midfielder in Bakayoko. Their attacking midfielders are Willian, Hazard and Pedro. Lose either of those and then what?

Man City have a midfield of Fernando, Fernandinho, Gundogan, Yaya Toure and Fabian Delph - that's F***ing awful. Their only quality there is Gundogan who still isn't fit. They've added three defenders and a keeper but none (apart from Mendy perhaps who i don't know enough about) worry me that they'll improve them out of sight. Walker can't cross and Ederson looked rubbish in pre-season. Danilo was out of depth for Madrid before he found a permanent spot on the bench.

Bernardo Silva i think will be one of the signings of the summer. But they have even less depth than we do in attack.

Arsenal are Arsenal. Not worried.

United lost Ibra who was their main threat and signed someone who will probably play the same role but isn't as good. They've added Lindelof who lets say is the best defender in the world - they'll still be sh*te in attack and solid at the back.

Spurs haven't signed anyone. At all.

Our squad is fine. I'd like another CB in but even if it doesn't happen, i'm comfortable with how we're shaping up.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #31274: Jul 27, 2017 01:04:45 am
      I think Chelsea will be the threat again but they've just replaced Costa with Morata and Terry with Rudiger. Probably improvements but no added depth and their only addition in numbers is signing a midfielder in Bakayoko. Their attacking midfielders are Willian, Hazard and Pedro. Lose either of those and then what?

Man City have a midfield of Fernando, Fernandinho, Gundogan, Yaya Toure and Fabian Delph - that's F***ing awful. Their only quality there is Gundogan who still isn't fit. They've added three defenders and a keeper but none (apart from Mendy perhaps who i don't know enough about) worry me that they'll improve them out of sight. Walker can't cross and Ederson looked rubbish in pre-season. Danilo was out of depth for Madrid before he found a permanent spot on the bench.

Bernardo Silva i think will be one of the signings of the summer. But they have even less depth than we do in attack.

Arsenal are Arsenal. Not worried.

United lost Ibra who was their main threat and signed someone who will probably play the same role but isn't as good. They've added Lindelof who lets say is the best defender in the world - they'll still be sh*te in attack and solid at the back.

Spurs haven't signed anyone. At all.

Our squad is fine. I'd like another CB in but even if it doesn't happen, i'm comfortable with how we're shaping up.

Only just realised today when I saw it on SSN that Chelsea have made £30 million through the sale of Ake and Begovic to Bournemouth.

Pedro got a couple of fractures in his cheekbone in the friendly against Arsenal last weekend, although could be back training in 10 days if he wears one of those face masks.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #31275: Jul 27, 2017 03:27:01 am
      Just came across this on FB (thanks to RK for liking it!).

Read it and you'll see where i'm coming from.

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/story/inside-the-managerial-mind-of-liverpools-Jürgen-klopp/index.html
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Reply #31276: Jul 27, 2017 06:16:01 pm

Crespo
      Zhirkov
      Veron
      Falcao
      Shevchenko
      Mutu
      Torres.

there is no way of knowing how a new signing will do, even if its a big name or not. you could name few big name signings that did well but then we will be discussing what a big name signing is.

Silva
      aguero
      sanchez
      even at some extend ibra

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #31277: Jul 27, 2017 07:16:51 pm

So, let's get this right, you are prepared to take a player who quite honestly is sh*te, who isn't wanted by his current small minded shitty outfit, refuses to be part of said shitty outfit and is hankering for a move away from the shitty outfit that gave him his break in pro football, i'm trying to get my head around this logic, he to me is above his station and the fact there has been little interest in his services speaks volumes.

Says a lot doesn't it when you pimp yourself out there and no f**ker wants you, hope he ends up at Tranmere, no offence Tranmere fans !!

YNWA
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #31278: Jul 27, 2017 08:28:58 pm

So, let's get this right, you are prepared to take a player who quite honestly is sh*te, who isn't wanted by his current small minded shitty outfit, refuses to be part of said shitty outfit and is hankering for a move away from the shitty outfit that gave him his break in pro football, i'm trying to get my head around this logic, he to me is above his station and the fact there has been little interest in his services speaks volumes.

Says a lot doesn't it when you pimp yourself out there and no f**ker wants you, hope he ends up at Tranmere, no offence Tranmere fans !!

YNWA

Tranmere don't want him either Billy. ;D
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #31279: Jul 28, 2017 06:13:00 am
      I must say the signings since Klopp has been here have been impressive and shows he is not interested in a "name" and I trust him whatever he does or whatever happens. I think of Chelsea as an example of buying misfits (although we and other clubs have had our fair share) that everyone thought were buying gold and would be untouchable:

Crespo
      Zhirkov
      Veron
      Falcao
      Shevchenko
      Mutu
      Torres.

So, for me our rivals can buy who and how many they like but it doesn't guarantee f*ck all.
      Cherry picking, and still landing on what I said, that every team out there has its bad transfers for big money. What I am against,is the taking of total transfers and coming up with an assessment that this many transfers do not pan out within the first year if they are big money.

You will also find out that I have stated, on more than one occasion that I do not care much for names. A big name player in his prime, or getting to his prime and one who would fill a specific need in the team would be welcome.

On a separate note, spending is the sure way of winning things. You get a team here and there that will challenge spending little, but at the end of the day, teams that spend money on elite talent seem to be winning things more than teams that are spending less.

Quick Reply