Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4180016 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #31303: Jul 28, 2017 04:34:02 pm
      I'll never forget his performance (and that of the whole team for that matter) in a 1-0 defeat to f**king Sunderland around March 2012. Watched it with about 10 or so Liverpool supporters in a bar and by the end of the match the anger in the small room we were in was palpable with a lot of the energy directed towards Adam's atrocious performance in the midfield that day. It was f**king grim and probably one of the worst 90 minutes of football I've had to sit through with Liverpool.
      Every bit the £7m squad player. 😉

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #31304: Jul 28, 2017 04:38:45 pm

Yeah the good thing is his price wasn't that much. It was seen as something of a bargain given how big an asset his set pieces were during his time at Blackpool. At the very least we'd have that in our back pocket. Not even that as it turned out.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #31305: Jul 28, 2017 04:40:54 pm
      I guess you could if you hadn't realised I was talking about 'championships' 7kk7.

Sorry if that wasn't clear mate. 😊

Sorry I thought you meant in general when I saw about us winning F**k all. My mistake
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31306: Jul 28, 2017 04:44:40 pm
      Sorry I thought you meant in general when I saw about us winning F**k all. My mistake

Nah... it was a bit confusing. 😎
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #31307: Jul 28, 2017 04:56:08 pm

Was a bargain -- his corners alone were worth 10M...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #31308: Jul 28, 2017 05:37:42 pm
      As i say we have bought bad in the past but we now have more, let's say intelligent players, whether someone costs 90m or 10m they can be a failure, but if you read my posts I agree with buying quality but we are not going to spend like City and Chelsea. City with all the money spent had to rely on penalties to beat us to a cup and were knocked out in qualifying in the CL so like I say "no guarantees". I think we are on the brink of winning trophies again and have come close under Jürgen, that's why I don't give a f*ck how much our rivals spend. The market is crazy at the moment and I bet Roma wished they had stuck an extra 20m on the price of Salah, we are still dominating our rivals on the pitch, which is a fact and we just need that bit of luck and of course be tighter in defence.

The rivals that we dominated have all added to their squads have they not? 

The rivals we didn't dominate (the minnows), probably aren't that worried about  us adding one player to our starting 11, especially since he doesn't add to our defense.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #31309: Jul 28, 2017 05:43:50 pm
      The rivals that we dominated have all added to their squads

Well to be fair:

Arsenal added Lacazette but Sanchez is probably on his way out...to me that's a wash at best..your trading a known PL proven player for somebody of equal quality but has never done it in the PL.

United adds Lukaku and loses Ibra....I'd rather have Ibra myself, Luckaku scares me not at all.

Spurs have lost players and not added anyone.

Chelsea & especially City are worriesome,,,but I can't be to sussed when £150 million is going to get spent on three fullbacks.

We shall see what happens I suppose; still confident on VVD, Soton can play the integrate card all it wants but the player isn't all of a sudden going to be holding the Soton scarf with supporters after throwing his toys out the pram.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31310: Jul 28, 2017 05:57:25 pm
      Been away for weeks. Not a huge amount has changed tho tbh ;)
      Don't see us linked with a striker. Still looking at Firmino/Origi/Studge/Ings.
      Would be great to sign VVD, deffo need to strengthen, and I assume Klopp sees Robertson is a starter now at LB? (rather than backup for Milner?), otherwise no first XI change and struggling to see the point.
      Keita thing rumbles on, and he is a really good player, and sure it would be great to sign him. But imo if we loose Coutinho then that would be terrible, our best player, our one real star. No matter what Barca offer, we shouldn't sell.
      Nearly into August...
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #31311: Jul 28, 2017 06:47:02 pm
      I had to pick out the bit in bold, "on paper" maybe. I am not disagreeing with you about quality in depth but we are up against the likes of Chelsea who have around 39 players just out on loan, yep 39! I presume City are the same (ish) and some don't realise the enormity of the situation financially that's why we have to be smart or at least a bit smarter than our rivals, with all their ammunition it must really get to them the fact we still dominate them.
      You must invest in your own way and within your budget, Klopp likes to invest his time in bringing youth through the right way and given time he will achieve it.
      Robertson, Salah, Karius, Matip, Mane, Klavan, Wijnaldum, Firmino, Gomez, Bogdan, Ings, Milner, Clyne, Benteke, Can, Lambert, Lallana, Markovic, Lovren, Origi, Moreno, Balotelli, Luis Alberto, Aspas, Toure, Mignolet, Ilori, Sakho, Borini, Allen, Assaidi, Sturridge, Coutinho, Henderson, Adam, Downing, Enrique, Coates, Bellamy, Doni, Suarez, Carroll.

These my friend are the first team players that have been bought since FSG took over. Disregard Robertson and Salah (who I think will be a fantastic addition), how many of those other players have been consistently good? You are right, there are teams that this team cannot compete with financially, but why on earth can the team not have a better squad compared to say Arsenal or Tottenham, both of whom we have outspent?

Why can the team not sort out problem areas years after they are seen as an issue?

The team has not had a quality goalkeeper since Pepe Reina departed. You cannot buy another one because there is Bogdan, Mignolet and the man who was brought in to replace Mignolet and is now his deputy.

The team is still struggling to bring in a CB despite investing in Ilori, Sakho, Lovren, Matip and Coates. The same thing can be seen in midfield, left back.

There is talk now of how Klopp wants to develop youth. It is a failed experiment even where it works because no one team that is not a financial powerhouse can keep its young players from the biggest teams in the world. Ajax in their prime lost all their best talent to Italian and Spanish teams. If Arsenal had kept their young core together, they would have gone on to win more with them, but better teams, competing for trophies and offering better wages snapped them up. It was the same with Dortmund, and the same has been the case with Liverpool where some of the best talent are picked up by better teams. Suarez, Sterling, Alonso, Mascherano.

For those who have noticed, Coutinho is now wanted by Barcelona, how long will the team manage to keep hold of him if it is not competing for titles? This at the end of the day is the reality, that the team needs to be competing because others can offer money, and compete at the highest level. As a team, we struggle to not only get it right in the market, but the talent in the youth ranks has not translated to quality first team players for the most part. Both need to improve.

Finally, I cannot understand people who come up and talk about developing players. Other teams have players that are nowhere near their prime but also playing at a high enough level. They will develop.....this is not something that is isolated to Liverpool yet some seem to think that it is for one reason or another.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #31312: Jul 28, 2017 06:54:18 pm
      The team has not had a quality goalkeeper since Pepe Reina departed. You cannot buy another one because there is Bogdan, Mignolet and the man who was brought in to replace Mignolet and is now his deputy.

Bogdan will be getting fu**ed off mate, you mean Ward don't you?

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #31313: Jul 28, 2017 06:55:20 pm
      how many of those other players have been consistently good?

Matip, Mane, Wijnaldum, Can, Firmino  Milner, Clyne, Sako  Lallana Sturridge, Coutinho, Henderson Suarez,  Benteke...Good to Superior PL players.

Ings, Lovren, Mignolet, Bellamy, Toure,  Avreage PL players.

The dross was all from 2 windows..where you have the Aspas/Luis Alberto

What you find there is a mixed bag on transfers...one that you would probably find if you broke down every teams transfer records.
      « Last Edit: Jul 28, 2017 07:00:58 pm by AZPatriot »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #31314: Jul 28, 2017 07:22:07 pm

Matip, Mane, Wijnaldum, Can, Firmino  Milner, Clyne, Sako  Lallana Sturridge, Coutinho, Henderson Suarez,  Benteke...Good to Superior PL players.

Ings, Lovren, Mignolet, Bellamy, Toure,  Avreage PL players.

The dross was all from 2 windows..where you have the Aspas/Luis Alberto

What you find there is a mixed bag on transfers...one that you would probably find if you broke down every teams transfer records.

I'd say Bellamy was one of our better signings, was certainly a damn sight better than Benteke IMO
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #31315: Jul 28, 2017 07:41:34 pm
      Was a bargain -- his corners alone were worth 10M...

Probably his yearly greggs expenditure
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #31316: Jul 28, 2017 07:53:11 pm
      When does our season start?.

Getting on my tits no competitive football.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #31317: Jul 28, 2017 07:55:37 pm
      As frustrating as it has been there is still time to bring a few more additions and as sktical as I feel I am sure that Jürgen will have some other names up his sleeve. I have to tell meself this because this squad will die a death with the added rigours of Champions League football next season.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #31318: Jul 28, 2017 08:20:37 pm
      I'd say Bellamy was one of our better signings, was certainly a damn sight better than Benteke IMO

Talent wise Benteke is a good premier league player....it was too much round hole/square peg but a decent and proven player none the less....certainly not dross.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #31319: Jul 28, 2017 08:22:58 pm
      So do we have any alternate targets or were all our eggs in the Keita/VVD basket?

Anybody out there you think we should be going for?

Lewandoski?

Naiggolen? (or however the hell you spell his name)

Pulisic?

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #31320: Jul 28, 2017 08:24:02 pm
      So do we have any alternate targets or were all our eggs in the Keita/VVD basket?

Anybody out there you think we should be going for?

Lewandoski?

Naiggolen? (or however the hell you spell his name)

Pulisic?

I'd take Pulisic in a heartbeat..but to be fair he really does seem to love being at Dortmund.

You'd figure the marketing guys at FSG would be drooling over him...young, exciting, future of the USMNT....etc  etc
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #31321: Jul 28, 2017 08:26:54 pm
      I'd take Pulisic in a heartbeat..but to be fair he really does seem to love being at Dortmund.

I wonder if Dortmund could  turn down Keita money for Pulisic? I bet they'd play ball at 60m...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #31322: Jul 28, 2017 08:27:13 pm
      Talent wise Benteke is a good premier league player....it was too much round hole/square peg but a decent and proven player none the less....certainly not dross.

I agree, he just wasn't really suited for us which showed in his performances which is why I would put Bellamy ahead of him.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #31323: Jul 30, 2017 03:11:19 am
      Away for a week and as I come back I find you all in here talking about Craig Bellamy...Talk about a transfer window gone bad!!!!

I'm expecting one defender to come in at some point, probably someone we haven't talked about as of yet.

I think that will be it. Not what I was expecting either but, looking forward to the season and hoping to see some young guys really step up to help meet the demands of multiple competitions and increased fixture lists.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #31324: Jul 30, 2017 01:25:50 pm

You'd figure the marketing guys at FSG would be drooling over him...young, exciting, future of the USMNT....etc  etc

No chance it would mean spending..
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #31325: Jul 30, 2017 02:44:48 pm
      Knowing the FSG crew it would seem as though they would have a rock hard chub for Pulisic. Legit American talent who Klopp is on board with. But Pulisic does love Dortmond a lot and has already said he wasn't keen on moving to us once before because of his love for his current club. So what do we think has changed? Or, are we just grasping at straws? I know what the popular opinion will be, haha.

With all that said I would LOVE to have him here, I just dunno if he's ready yet!

Quick Reply