Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4180107 times
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,138 posts | 1194 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #34155: Jan 25, 2018 07:02:32 pm
      The Coutinho money is additional to our planned summer spend that saw us miss out on Lemar and Van Dijk.

We finally got Van Dijk (and at a guess, our dicking around may have cost us £10m-£15m) but we still ought to have a fair whack left over from not signing Lemar. £60m poss....

Might it not make sense to try to do a deal now and have the player for the rest of the season.

If we wait, are we expecting the price to go down? (Could it really go down by that much, in this of all markets?) And even if we are expecting that, for whatever discount we may foresee, does it outweigh the potential benefit to the team of having the player for the remaining months of this season?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #34156: Jan 25, 2018 07:33:04 pm
      We all knew Coutinho would be sold, my assumption is Barca said winter or never and Liverpool wanted to get money back on Kieta, the signing of VVD was done just intime for us not to be rinsed further by Southampton. 75+51 is 126 so still a 22m profit. Should be spent on a goalkeeper, but it will be spent on nobody. My guess is Klopp said sell Coutinho without signing VVD and he would walk himself. People are incredibly naive to believe Klopp could not get Couts to play for us, it's a freaking world cup year All PR damage control to cover up the much worse truths.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34157: Jan 25, 2018 07:40:53 pm
      We all knew Coutinho would be sold, my assumption is Barca said winter or never and Liverpool wanted to get money back on Kieta, the signing of VVD was done just intime for us not to be rinsed further by Southampton. 75+51 is 126 so still a 22m profit. Should be spent on a goalkeeper, but it will be spent on nobody. My guess is Klopp said sell Coutinho without signing VVD and he would walk himself. People are incredibly naive to believe Klopp could not get Couts to play for us, it's a freaking world cup year All PR damage control to cover up the much worse truths.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #34158: Jan 25, 2018 07:58:20 pm
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #34159: Jan 25, 2018 08:15:19 pm
      It's been repeated many times on here -- we are an injury to Bobby away from having Solanke as our starting ST.  We need another proven goal scorer.... someone who we can really count on when the going gets tough.... someone who will put the team on his back and score us a goal in a game where nothing seems to be going our way.... someone like this guy!!

8)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #34160: Jan 25, 2018 11:31:55 pm
      I've been seeing a lot of this plan B / Target man thrown around, but our plan A has weakened drastically, and we have exceptional players suited to play plan A, so why don't we improve our plan A instead of looking at plan B?
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #34161: Jan 26, 2018 01:14:17 am
      im not sure if its stubbornness, stupiddness,poor management or a mix of all, but it seems that season after season we leave our-self short and with a unbalanced squad - and the more i think about it, the more it seems like it has been done by design.

How can we be in a position where we allowed a vital first team player to leave and have NOTHING to replace him with? im many fields this would lead to disciplinary procedures being looked at.

We are one injury from having to use Ings and Solanke who between them hate finding the back of the net, we are two injuries from praying for miracles.

the window is not shut yet, but i'm confident that we all have the same feeling that nothing will change between now and the close of the window.

sometimes I could ring Klopps neck
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #34162: Jan 26, 2018 08:59:59 am
      Less than a well left in the window and no credible links to any midfielders.

Looks like the club are happy to sit on the war chest and gamble on keeping the front 3 fit for the rest of the season, just Crazy.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #34163: Jan 26, 2018 09:12:28 am

Looks like the club are happy to sit on the war chest and gamble on keeping the front 3 fit for the rest of the season, just Crazy.

Nonsense, it makes perfect sense as long as you don't want to be ripped off. There is no desperate need to replace Coutinho, there just isn't. We have more than enough firepower in the team and we have strengthened defensively. Barring an injury nightmare we should be able to secure top 4 in the league and have a good run at FA Cup and maybe even CL and then we complete the team in the summer.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #34164: Jan 26, 2018 09:16:28 am
      Nonsense, it makes perfect sense as long as you don't want to be ripped off. There is no desperate need to replace Coutinho, there just isn't. We have more than enough firepower in the team and we have strengthened defensively. Barring an injury nightmare we should be able to secure top 4 in the league and have a good run at FA Cup and maybe even CL and then we complete the team in the summer.

And who exactly do we have to replace one of the front 3, there is no one to replicate Salah, Firmino or Salah and don't even dare to mention Ings and Solanke.

Kopite78
      Reply #34165: Jan 26, 2018 09:24:19 am
      And who exactly do we have to replace one of the front 3, there is no one to replicate Salah, Firmino or Salah and don't even dare to mention Ings and Solanke.

Of course there is a need to replace Coutinho. 100%

We have signed vvd and that's a great signing in my eyes but what would we say if say city sold De Bruyne this winter and signed Ramos? Or Chelsea sold Hazard and signed Pique?
      We'd be like, yeah good signings at the back but sh*t they've weakened their match winning options
      Good for us that

Just like all our rivals will be thinking (whilst they strengthen )
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #34166: Jan 26, 2018 09:30:15 am

Could Coutinho replace them though??
      If we lose one of Mane or Salah then we could replace them with Lallana or Ox, if we lose Firmino then we could replace him with Ings or Solanke or perhaps even Woodburn. Obviously that would weaken the team but as long as its just one of them who is out at any one time then I don't think it would be to bad. BTW I still thin Solanke will become a very good striker for us over time and Ings can play a role as well.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #34167: Jan 26, 2018 09:32:49 am
      Of course there is a need to replace Coutinho. 100%

We have signed vvd and that's a great signing in my eyes but what would we say if say city sold De Bruyne this winter and signed Ramos? Or Chelsea sold Hazard and signed Pique?
      We'd be like, yeah good signings at the back but sh*t they've weakened their match winning options
      Good for us that

Just like all our rivals will be thinking (whilst they strengthen )

I'm not saying its ideal to lose Coutinho but it is an extra £140m to spend in the summer and I firmly believe we have more than enough in the team to secure 4th in the league and compete in FA Cup and CL even without him. Actually I think the addition of VVD gives us a better chance of achieving those 3 goals.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #34168: Jan 26, 2018 09:49:02 am
      If we lose one of Mane or Salah then we could replace them with Lallana or Ox, if we lose Firmino then we could replace him with Ings or Solanke or perhaps even Woodburn. Obviously that would weaken the team but as long as its just one of them who is out at any one time then I don't think it would be to bad. BTW I still thin Solanke will become a very good striker for us over time and Ings can play a role as well.

Lallana or Ox yeah right I can see them terrorising defences.

As for the other 3 suggestions just tell me how many goals they have between them!

It's all fine plucking names up for the sake of it but have a proper think before you post.

Financial figures out this week we are the 9th richest club in the world along with a huge fee for Coutinho and you are still looking for value in the market.
      There is no need to gamble we did exactly the same last season and look at our January performance we barely limped over the line gaining 4th.

I suppose it will never change with FSG in charge.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #34169: Jan 26, 2018 10:22:01 am
      Despite the FSG Loyalists view there IS a need to replace Cou in the front 5/6.

There is however NO need to directly replace him. We could go a different way but we need something to supplement in the final 3rd.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #34170: Jan 26, 2018 10:27:05 am

I don't think it's a coincidence that our best spell of the season came when Coutinho, Salah, Mane and Firmino were all fit and we were able to rotate them about, sometimes play all 4, sometimes play Coutinho on the left etc. In fact I'd even say Coutinho's best performances came when he played left wing. Lallana is much better central, starting to get the same feeling about Ox as well.

Genuinely think we're an injury away from a real problem now and a club like ours should never be in that position.

Despite the FSG Loyalists view there IS a need to replace Cou in the front 5/6.

There is however NO need to directly replace him. We could go a different way but we need something to supplement in the final 3rd.

Agree with this. I'd sign a forward comfortable playing across all three positions and then a central midfielder to come in along with with Keita.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #34171: Jan 26, 2018 12:31:07 pm
      This might not go down well with some people but just to be clear, I'm fully aware the owners have their faults so don't get me wrong here, I know they could be better, but they could also be a lot worse.

We've panicked signed players before and ended up with Balotelli. I know it's a good thing to believe that it's 100% down to the owners why we aren't signing players after selling Coutinho but I think we all know it's not entirely the case. Klopp isn't going to sign players just for the sake of signing players, he will want to make sure it's completely the right player.

People were calling for Klopp to sign an out and out CF and had doubts over whether Bobby could do that role. Klopp has decided to proceed with Bobby there and he's currently got 17 goals and about 13/14 assists this season, nicely ahead of big money signings Lukaku and Morata, who are out and out CF's.

We signed Robertson and we saw very little of him for the first part of the season and a lot of people (myself included), were wondering why we bothered signing him to not even make the bench. Klopp said he had things he needed to work on when arriving and since coming into the team, he has barely put a foot wrong.

Nobody is perfect, and maybe, just maybe, Klopp does know what he is doing. Ultimately, he knows the players better than any of us and maybe we should trust his judgement a bit more and stop trying to pin everything on the owners because frankly, it's getting tiresome seeing any slight little negative instantly thrown at the owners. Christ, even the news about the ticket prices people were still having a pop.

Ultimately, we are a business to the owners. As a business owner myself, I try to look at it from their point of view. If I could run my own business for a sustained period of time without having to dip into my own pocket then great, being able to fund that business and make it constantly improve solely on the money coming in should set you up well in the long run. For example, Van Dijk and Keita may well be with the Coutinho money, it's a fantastic player gone but you've also got in 2 cracking players and don't have a player in the team who doesn't want to be here and is faking injury so he doesn't even have to play for us.
      HOWEVER, don't get me wrong, I'd love us to go out and sign Mahrez, Lemar, Oblak and whoever else but it's not going to happen, it doesn't work like that. You can also bet that if we went paying out and competing with the likes of City financially and ended up in a financial mess again, like under H&G, which everyone hated, there would be uproar about that too.

It's just finding the balance and I'd like to think that if the right player became available for us to sign then Klopp and the owners wouldn't think twice.

+1
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #34172: Jan 26, 2018 01:04:39 pm
      I honestly think a top striker is needed. Goalkeeping position is now the priority, but looking at the number of low scoring draws we've had, it's clear we need another striker.

Some people say we already have enough attacking talent, but the reason we're in 4th and not 2nd is because of the number of draws we've had - 8 in total (compared to just 2 for City). Of those, 5 were low scoring draws

Everton 1-1
      Utd 0-0
      West Brom 0-0
      Newcastle 1-1
      Burnley 1-1

That's 10 points right there that would have put us 2nd in the league had we been able to break down teams that just park the bus. I'm not suggesting replacing Firminho as a starter, or upsetting the line up, but someone who can come in and make a difference whether it's a 6 yard poacher, twinkle toes to take on players in a packed box or a brute force to get goals from set pieces. Ings is not good enough imo and Solanke is not there yet. If it's up to me I'd offload Ings and Studge and replace wit  quality striker with some of the Couts cash.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #34173: Jan 26, 2018 01:39:40 pm
      I don't know the exact number but I'm pretty sure Firmino doesnt have 10+ assists. Fewer league goals than Lukaku and same as Morata by the way.

But in any case, those who were calling us to sign a CF were right. We still have no alternative for Firmino, and if we were a club struggling for cash that might have been understandable, but no, we're a revenue machine with a negative net spend. We should be doing more, there are no two ways about it.

I don't see the club vs Klopp as a serious antagonism. Klopp is part of the club. He's their appointment. Michael Edwards is their appointment. Maybe - just maybe - we have appointed those people precisely because they fit the strategy, not that they're big headed individuals going against the wishes of the higher hierarchy.

In the end, those that do want us to sign more players are not necessarily asking just for the 80m signings. Yes, it is nice to be able to make a few of those, but there are so many players out there that could be had for less. How much has Salah cost us? Barcelona has signed two CBs that would get into our team for a combined 37m euros.

Everyone knows we are not Manchester City but sometimes people try to make it out as if we were some minor club with a small budget. It's a product of the need to create antagonisms, you have to either be "pro" or "against" the manager, the owners, everything. I find it tiring. I like a lot of the things FSG have done for the club but they've so far failed the ultimate test and I have a strong suspicion the calls for patience may be misplaced, no matter how good a manager I think Klopp is
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #34174: Jan 26, 2018 01:57:30 pm

Actually saw some chatter about us bidding for Pastore....but don't know how credible the link is...some Italian journalist I believe. Said that us and another club bid on him but  he turned us down.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #34175: Jan 26, 2018 02:01:25 pm
      I looked up several German words for "stubborn"...seems there are a lot of them...maybe it's common ;D

I'm all for Klopp getting who he wants and waiting if that's what it takes, but at the same time, logic says if you identify a real need that maybe can't wait, you may have to do business that's alternative to what you really want to do. It worked for him so far for VVD....Keita we will see (fingers crossed he doesn't get injured or something), but waiting to bring in reinforcements this window could really backfire should we have to endure any injuries to key players that have no real suitable like for like replacement (Firmino for one). I'm certainly trying to be optimistic because I trust the boss....but I'm not optimistic by nature and some of these moves (non-moves) make it really hard.......

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #34176: Jan 26, 2018 02:04:17 pm

@JamesPearceEcho
      Klopp says more incomings "not really likely" before transfer deadline. #LFC

Me: "Honey, warm up the bath...I'll get the toaster"

Kopite78
      Reply #34177: Jan 26, 2018 02:08:13 pm
      Did he also say

Champions league qualification
      Not really likely

Quick Reply