Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4199969 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,230 posts | 6356 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #34431: Feb 02, 2018 03:14:08 pm
      Why can’t I be behind the manager (smiling) and still think we effed up the transfer window?
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #34432: Feb 02, 2018 04:49:31 pm
      Yeah our transfers are full of sh*te. We lack ambition and our competition is stealing a march on all the best players in every window.

I’m going buyout FSG for a full 100% stake. My offer is £5b. They will surely sell.

After this is done, I’ll make sure to implement a buy at all cost strategy. £300m available every window to bring in all the best players. The worst performers between each window will not be tolerated. Even if they are Messi or Rolando, they will be sold if they do not perform.

When I run out of money, I will beg borrow or steal to keep funding my transfer policy. Until I can’t take it anymore, I’ll jack up ticket prices to £200. Those in the KOP will pay £500.

If this still doesn’t work, I’ll sell shares to all supporters. We all own this club. Which means there will be fundraising every window to buy the best players. Fans owned club and fans funded transfers. There will be a big dividend for all shareholders if and when the club makes money at the end of the season.

Do bear in mind that we will go big on wages and will probably make a substantial loss. So prepare for fundraising every year. Shareholders who refuse to take part in fundraising exercises will be doubted as real fans. The same people will be labeled as those who lack ambition.

But we’ll probably win every match by 8 goals or more. We’ll be so full of ambition on the sporting front. Fans, owners and fundraisers. Enjoy the ride.

Because I made the people happy. We will make the best players’ pockets even happier. :lmao:

Great proposal eh? Not sure if this is a nightmare or a dream. Good thing there’s a game called Football Manager.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #34433: Feb 02, 2018 06:27:23 pm
      There's a very common tendency to over stretch other people's arguments in order to try and prove a point.

Yeah our transfers are full of sh*te. We lack ambition and our competition is stealing a march on all the best players in every window.

I’m going buyout FSG for a full 100% stake. My offer is £5b. They will surely sell.

After this is done, I’ll make sure to implement a buy at all cost strategy. £300m available every window to bring in all the best players. The worst performers between each window will not be tolerated. Even if they are Messi or Rolando, they will be sold if they do not perform.

When I run out of money, I will beg borrow or steal to keep funding my transfer policy. Until I can’t take it anymore, I’ll jack up ticket prices to £200. Those in the KOP will pay £500.

If this still doesn’t work, I’ll sell shares to all supporters. We all own this club. Which means there will be fundraising every window to buy the best players. Fans owned club and fans funded transfers. There will be a big dividend for all shareholders if and when the club makes money at the end of the season.

Do bear in mind that we will go big on wages and will probably make a substantial loss. So prepare for fundraising every year. Shareholders who refuse to take part in fundraising exercises will be doubted as real fans. The same people will be labeled as those who lack ambition.

But we’ll probably win every match by 8 goals or more. We’ll be so full of ambition on the sporting front. Fans, owners and fundraisers. Enjoy the ride.

Because I made the people happy. We will make the best players’ pockets even happier. :lmao:

Great proposal eh? Not sure if this is a nightmare or a dream. Good thing there’s a game called Football Manager.

:roll:
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 829 
      Reply #34434: Feb 02, 2018 07:06:22 pm
      There's a very common tendency to over stretch other people's arguments in order to try and prove a point.

I don't see why thinking the club should've spent more on transfers than AFC Bournemouth in net terms over the past 5 years means that you automatically want the club to sign Balotelli, Lambert and a huge amount of crap. That doesn't even mean that one necessarily thinks FSG should be investing their own money; but rather that one believes transfers and wages - that is, football spending - is the most important one at the club and that it should take priority over other spending. The club generates enough revenue to sustain more net spending than that, surely. Or at the very least, if only the club were paying our players similar wages to our competitors, maybe it could have been excused for a negative net spend on transfer fees. But that's not the case either. Our highest earners probably don't get close to any of the clubs around us, with the exception of Spurs, who by no accident are the only club without a trophy for longer than us in that top 6.

Also, the idea that buying a replacement for Philippe Coutinho now would be "panic" buying is utterly ridiculous, for the club knew he was leaving a long time ago. There was plenty of time to prepare. Not replacing him, just like not getting VVD in the summer, was a failure - no need to sugarcoat it - it was a failure in strategy or execution (negotiations). Hopefully we'll be able to remedy it in the summer as we did with VVD in the winter window, but that does not erase the initial error.

And if the timing was not right in August for selling because we couldn't replace him, then nothing changed now, which means he shouldn't have been sold now either.

Didn't we break all of our transfer record last summer with the signing of Salah and AOC? Then in Jan with VVD? None are stretching their argument to prove a point, most of us are trying to be pragmatic as possible that it is not easy to sign players in the winter transfer window and that the manager prefers the summer as he likes to have his new players at that time for pre-season. I also understand why Klopp & the recruitment team don't want to pay over the odds to sign players. It's the same for every club (except for Man Utd who make more money than anyone in the world).

Buying a stop gap player just to replace Coutinho in Jan  is a huge risk, look what happened when we signed a replacement for Torres. Your argument is very black and white, the month of Jan and Coutinho leaving is very subjective so how do you know it was a failure in strategy? or maybe because our targets were not available in the winter transfer? Maybe Klopp would like to wait till the summer when other Clubs are more willing to negotiate to sell their best players? Look at Man City for example, they have all the money in the world and a great strategy so why didn't they punt an extra 15 million to buy their first choice target in Alexis Sanchez? Or why didn't they go the extra mile and pay an extra 30m to get Riyad Mahrez when he was valued at 95m? isn't it the same where we fans complain about not paying an extra 20m to get our player (Keita example)? Like Klopp, Pepe Guardiola with his recruitment team value players and if they are more expensive than their intended value in the winter transfer market they won't buy them. It's another conspiracy/assumption to say there was a ''failure'' in execution of strategy. If you have proof of what's going on in the club then show it to us. I trust journalists who are close to the club and Klopp himself when they say we will spend when it's needed on players that are available. Let's for argument's sake that whatever you are saying is true, don't you think it's premature to judge the strategy? Maybe waiting until the end of the season we will know for sure if it was the correct call or not.

Secondly, the club does not generate ''enough'' revenue to match the spending power of Man Utd and Man City, there is a huge difference between revenues between us and those clubs. Klopp felt it was right time to sell Coutinho, he said it in his own words that Coutinho will not be the same if he stayed and that he would disrupt the team. It's up to you whether to believe him or not, I do though and I'm not going to judge our gamble/risk until the end of this season. But I'm optimistic we will get good players in the summer that will make us challenge for the title next season. We are 3rd, looking good and if we beat Spurs on Sunday I'll be more optimistic finishing 3rd in the league. If we were down in 6th or 7th then yes I'll probably agree with many of you and I'll be more concerned too with our mediocrity and failure to buy players because then I'll have a sense of de ja vu with previous seasons, but so far we have been consistently improving from when Klopp was hired as our manager. That's why I have complete faith in his decisions.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #34435: Feb 02, 2018 07:33:12 pm
      Didn't we break all of our transfer record last summer with the signing of Salah and AOC? Then in Jan with VVD? None are stretching their argument to prove a point, most of us are trying to be pragmatic as possible that it is not easy to sign players in the winter transfer window and that the manager prefers the summer as he likes to have his new players at that time for pre-season. I also understand why Klopp & the recruitment team don't want to pay over the odds to sign players. It's the same for every club (except for Man Utd who make more money than anyone in the world).

Buying a stop gap player just to replace Coutinho in Jan  is a huge risk, look what happened when we signed a replacement for Torres. Your argument is very black and white, the month of Jan and Coutinho leaving is very subjective so how do you know it was a failure in strategy? or maybe because our targets were not available in the winter transfer? Maybe Klopp would like to wait till the summer when other Clubs are more willing to negotiate to sell their best players? Look at Man City for example, they have all the money in the world and a great strategy so why didn't they punt an extra 15 million to buy their first choice target in Alexis Sanchez? Or why didn't they go the extra mile and pay an extra 30m to get Riyad Mahrez when he was valued at 95m? isn't it the same where we fans complain about not paying an extra 20m to get our player (Keita example)? Like Klopp, Pepe Guardiola with his recruitment team value players and if they are more expensive than their intended value in the winter transfer market they won't buy them. It's another conspiracy/assumption to say there was a ''failure'' in execution of strategy. If you have proof of what's going on in the club then show it to us. I trust journalists who are close to the club and Klopp himself when they say we will spend when it's needed on players that are available. Let's for argument's sake that whatever you are saying is true, don't you think it's premature to judge the strategy? Maybe waiting until the end of the season we will know for sure if it was the correct call or not.

Secondly, the club does not generate ''enough'' revenue to match the spending power of Man Utd and Man City, there is a huge difference between revenues between us and those clubs. Klopp felt it was right time to sell Coutinho, he said it in his own words that Coutinho will not be the same if he stayed and that he would disrupt the team. It's up to you whether to believe him or not, I do though and I'm not going to judge our gamble/risk until the end of this season. But I'm optimistic we will get good players in the summer that will make us challenge for the title next season. We are 3rd, looking good and if we beat Spurs on Sunday I'll be more optimistic finishing 3rd in the league. If we were down in 6th or 7th then yes I'll probably agree with many of you and I'll be more concerned too with our mediocrity and failure to buy players because then I'll have a sense of de ja vu with previous seasons, but so far we have been consistently improving from when Klopp was hired as our manager. That's why I have complete faith in his decisions.

Every club in the league has broken their transfer records in the past few windows. The fact we have made smaller net investment in transfers than AFC Bournemouth over the past 5 years says a lot about how this is almost entirely dependent on sales though.

I never said the club generates enough revenue to match Manchester United. I did say it generated enough to spend more than the net investment we have made so far. And that it would be far easier to swallow that fact if only we were channelling funds to a larger wage bill. But that's not really the case either. I imagine none of our top earners are making anywhere near that of our competitors (and when I say competitors, I include the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea, that have similar-ish revenues).

Coutinho already wanted to leave in the summer, Klopp made him captain for a few matches. He was scoring at a greater rate than Firmino. That was hardly disruptive. The thing I question the most, however, is the argument of timing - made by Klopp himself, and many journalists close to the club. Reddy wrote an article of why LFC would be more willing to sell in January and it revolved around season planning and finding a replacement - it was difficult to do so in August, the argument said. If it's still difficult to do now, have we disregarded timing, and just sold him because of his potential attitude? But at the same time we're ok giving the armband to a German lad out of contract in the summer? Let's not kid ourselves here, he is gone because the sum involved was too good for the club to refuse.

I have a lot of faith in Klopp as a manager, however I do not believe he can work miracles. He set a target of winning the league in 4 years when appointed manager. So if we do not win the Premier League next season, by his own standards he'll have failed. And if we as a club do not invest more in transfers, then I think there's a very good chance of that happening. Hell, I'd take *any* trophy at this rate, but we just dropped out of the one competition we had a real chance of winning, just after disrupting the healthy attacking rotation we had with Coutinho, and now having to rely on the likes of Danny Ings off the bench.

Don't get me wrong, if we qualify for the Champions League, I'll think it has been a decent season. Regular participation in the UCL is absolutely vital at this stage, probably the most important thing for us at this point. I won't be calling for anyone's head even if we miss out. I just think we're making things harder for ourselves than they should be.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #34436: Feb 02, 2018 08:17:58 pm

Definitely need the Editor for that scenario.  ;D
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 829 
      Reply #34437: Feb 02, 2018 08:56:59 pm
      Every club in the league has broken their transfer records in the past few windows. The fact we have made smaller net investment in transfers than AFC Bournemouth over the past 5 years says a lot about how this is almost entirely dependent on sales though.

I never said the club generates enough revenue to match Manchester United. I did say it generated enough to spend more than the net investment we have made so far. And that it would be far easier to swallow that fact if only we were channelling funds to a larger wage bill. But that's not really the case either. I imagine none of our top earners are making anywhere near that of our competitors (and when I say competitors, I include the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea, that have similar-ish revenues).

Coutinho already wanted to leave in the summer, Klopp made him captain for a few matches. He was scoring at a greater rate than Firmino. That was hardly disruptive. The thing I question the most, however, is the argument of timing - made by Klopp himself, and many journalists close to the club. Reddy wrote an article of why LFC would be more willing to sell in January and it revolved around season planning and finding a replacement - it was difficult to do so in August, the argument said. If it's still difficult to do now, have we disregarded timing, and just sold him because of his potential attitude? But at the same time we're ok giving the armband to a German lad out of contract in the summer? Let's not kid ourselves here, he is gone because the sum involved was too good for the club to refuse.

I have a lot of faith in Klopp as a manager, however I do not believe he can work miracles. He set a target of winning the league in 4 years when appointed manager. So if we do not win the Premier League next season, by his own standards he'll have failed. And if we as a club do not invest more in transfers, then I think there's a very good chance of that happening. Hell, I'd take *any* trophy at this rate, but we just dropped out of the one competition we had a real chance of winning, just after disrupting the healthy attacking rotation we had with Coutinho, and now having to rely on the likes of Danny Ings off the bench.

Don't get me wrong, if we qualify for the Champions League, I'll think it has been a decent season. Regular participation in the UCL is absolutely vital at this stage, probably the most important thing for us at this point. I won't be calling for anyone's head even if we miss out. I just think we're making things harder for ourselves than they should be.

I don't really buy into the net investment argument, especially that most of the players bar Coutinho were sold because Klopp didn't want them and where deadwood. I look at how much we spent, and we spent a lot of money, this paints a different picture as all the money from the player sales have gone into recruiting other players. If that didn't happen I'll be the first one to question the owner's intentions, but it hasn't.

Our wage bill per turnover is the 3rd highest in the league (even more than Man City's), we pay a lot on wages but it always depends on how you manage those wages as you have to take into account how the club is structured financially and of course staff count. Sure we probably can pay 250k a week to get a top player but wages hasn't stopped Klopp from getting Salah, Mane & VVD. Also, we don't really work in club management, I really don't know what parameters or strategy Klopp, Edwards and Mike Gordon have implemented and neither anyone. All I know is that the money get from player sales + from revenues have been used on player transfers as it is evident in the signings we've made under Klopp, rather than the owners trying to balance the books. Furthermore, I believe that if the recruitment team pinpoint a player that Klopp agrees on the money will be there to recruit the player. 

Coutinho wanted to leave, nothing we can do about it. He went on strike twice by feigning injuries. What do you think he would have done if Klopp said he won't sell him till the summer? Again it's very subjective, he might have done a Mahrez and missed training sessions or he would have been a professional, do you think Klopp wanted to take the risk? Do you really think FSG would have sanctioned the deal if Coutinho wanted to stay and Klopp was happy with him staying even if Barca bid with that amount? I find it very very unlikely.

No one is saying Klopp is a miracle worker, but so far and slowly he's proving to be the best manager we've had since Rafa in 2004 with consistent displays in the league and buying the right players to compliment his style of play. He's different than Rodgers because Rodgers sometimes didn't know what to play and how he wanted his team to play, he tried changing with signing players like Benteke and back fired. Klopp instead is sticking to his principles the same way Rafa did too and that is why they make really good managers. Why is there a good chance of not investing in the summer? So far Klopp used the money well and paid for good players, so he will do the same in the summer. We lost against WBA in the FA cup was because of our defense not really our attack.
      It was a costly one off game that we improved upon against Huddersfield. Klopp said it himself it's not about Coutinho and I agree with him, Coutinho wouldn't have changed the game that much if we were making mistakes at the back. It's been a recurring theme for us this season with the way we are organizing the defense.

In the short term I care about consistency but long term I agree we want to win trophies. When was the last time we qualified two seasons in a row to the champions league? If he fails next season to win anything then yes he should be judged and questions should be asked. Hopefully it's not the case and with Keita coming in and maybe a top gk and another midfielder I think we will do even better next season.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6691 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #34438: Feb 02, 2018 11:47:10 pm
      After every weak window there's a "look forward to our approach in the next window" comment and the same sh*t happens..

We do nowt then a story of the next window pops up..

This happens every window..

An excuse why we didn't spend, suggestions we'll go ham In the following window, we don't, onto the next window with that generically manufactured optimism.

Agreed mate...from now till the end of the next Transfer window we will be heavily linked with every F***ing Player out there and either get F***ing no one or a player we've never even considered.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34439: Feb 02, 2018 11:49:25 pm
      Agreed mate...from now till the end of the next Transfer window we will be heavily linked with every f**king Player out there and either get f**king no one or a player we've never even considered.

Well to be fair until they were announced I doubt anybody considered Sadio & Mo and they've turned out pretty decent.

Mo Salah....who???
      Sadio Mane....what another Soton player?...FCK!!!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #34440: Feb 03, 2018 01:22:11 pm
      The Express running a story that  James Rodriguez has told Bayern & parent club Real Madrid he's joining us in the summer.

Seen the headline but couldn't be arsed reading the story.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #34441: Feb 03, 2018 05:35:21 pm

Well in that case Bournemouth must have bought very badly and wasted a lot of money!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #34442: Feb 03, 2018 06:02:13 pm
      Our net spend since Klopp took over is -6.5m. In the same windows Bournemouth spent around 70m. This means they spent over 76m more in the windows Klopp has been at Liverpool. However they have 31 points and we have 50. I think Klopp has earned the right to spend more.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #34443: Feb 03, 2018 06:05:04 pm
      Well in that case Bournemouth must have bought very badly and wasted a lot of money!

Why? In the past 5 years they've gone from mid-table in the Championship, to Championship winners, to avoiding EPL relegation, to finishing 9th in the Premier League. If going from 4th to 3rd is "steady improvement", I wonder what that is.

They've invested far less than us, obviously, but because they haven't sold much either, their net investment in that period is actually higher than ours. It was just a random example though.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #34444: Feb 03, 2018 06:20:46 pm
      lots of players under perform at Arsenal. Look at Walcott at Everton. At the right club Walcott would have been prolific. I don't disagree they find talent, but they also stagnate it.
      Yes Look at Walcott at Everton 4=0 down at half time  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Sorry Rib' had to get that one in  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #34445: Feb 03, 2018 08:16:06 pm
      It says a lot for Everton when Walcott was m.o.m. :laugh:
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #34446: Feb 03, 2018 11:39:06 pm
      It says a lot for Everton when Walcott was m.o.m. :laugh:
      :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: doesn't it just  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #34447: Feb 04, 2018 01:51:49 pm
      Just read rumours of us possibly interested in Wilshere, and whilst I rate him and think he would be a welcome addition and first team player in terms of playing wise, he is just as bad as Sturridge in keeping fit, so no thanks!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #34448: Feb 04, 2018 01:58:01 pm
      Why? In the past 5 years they've gone from mid-table in the Championship, to Championship winners, to avoiding EPL relegation, to finishing 9th in the Premier League. If going from 4th to 3rd is "steady improvement", I wonder what that is.

They've invested far less than us, obviously, but because they haven't sold much either, their net investment in that period is actually higher than ours. It was just a random example though.

Exactly, they needed to invest more just to cling onto the prem. We on the other hand already have a good squad and have bought very well under Klopp, trimming a hell of a lot of deadwood out of the squad and promoting youth, this is one of the main factors why our net spending is so low. I do however feel that we will invest heavily in the summer. If at the end of the summer we have not invested then I will be as pissed off as you guys, trust me on that.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #34449: Feb 04, 2018 02:19:01 pm
      Just read rumours of us possibly interested in Wilshere, and whilst I rate him and think he would be a welcome addition and first team player in terms of playing wise, he is just as bad as Sturridge in keeping fit, so no thanks!

We definitely need a Wilshere style player in our midfield but I've never been totally convinced by Wilshere.

Creative midfield player? Defintley.

Jack Wikshere? Not for me.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #34450: Feb 05, 2018 02:58:08 pm
      We definitely need a Wilshere style player in our midfield but I've never been totally convinced by Wilshere.

Creative midfield player? Defintley.

Jack Wikshere? Not for me.

I think Wilshere is one of the most technically gifted players England has produced in the last 10 years. Was a big fan of his when he first emerged on the scene but injuries and being part of an Arsenal side that barely shows any growth or development has seriously hindered him so it's hard to see that we'll be getting anything to add to the squad. You just can't rely on him.

But boy do we need a comfortable ball player and possession keeper and, while I don't want to knee jerk in light of yesterday's possession stats, it's an area of our game that is definitely vacant now that Coutinho has left.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #34451: Feb 05, 2018 07:14:32 pm
      I think Wilshere is one of the most technically gifted players England has produced in the last 10 years. Was a big fan of his when he first emerged on the scene but injuries and being part of an Arsenal side that barely shows any growth or development has seriously hindered him so it's hard to see that we'll be getting anything to add to the squad. You just can't rely on him.

But boy do we need a comfortable ball player and possession keeper and, while I don't want to knee jerk in light of yesterday's possession stats, it's an area of our game that is definitely vacant now that Coutinho has left.
      Wilshere as DM or CM?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #34452: Feb 05, 2018 07:17:56 pm

CM for me. 
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #34453: Feb 05, 2018 07:26:25 pm
      Reckon this wilshere link is a ploy to get a new contract