Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid)

Read 19347 times
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Re: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid)
      Reply #23: Jan 02, 2013 12:50:57 pm
      Would be an amazing signing, but can you really see FSG sanctioning that?  Not a chance.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,398 posts | 2825 
      Reply #24: Jan 02, 2013 01:23:37 pm
      Would be a great signing obviously but I can't see it happening.

Shame because he's a player who could easily play well into his 30s. Pirlo took a different challenge at the age of 32 and is now doing really well at Juventus so Xabi could do the same. Don't think it will be with us though.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,637 posts | 130 
      Reply #25: Jan 02, 2013 01:26:27 pm
      Xabi still can offer enough quality IMO!  I mean 31 years of age? Whats the problem guys? If he still have the match fitness and is able to play on the top internationel level than he is a great signing. Not every "old" player is a worse player  (Look at Pirlo).  And if he offers for instance two years of top football and helps us to go forward, than he'll have done a decent job for us!

We have a lot great young players with a bright future in our side and to have a player like a Xabi Alonso, who is world champion and twice european champion,  on her side won't make them worse!

So when Xabi says he would love to play for our club again, then get him! The positiv thing about a 31 years old player is, that he isn't really expensive ;)   
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #26: Jan 02, 2013 05:48:37 pm
      The best passer, Xavi can't pass like him. I mean he can find players in any kind of positions from anywhere, and his a good DM. I would not be against us paying about 12mil for him. We have some prospects at CM but Alonso is just an incredible player and would be an invaluable asset to have in our team now and BR would love him.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #27: Jan 03, 2013 12:09:31 am
      I think anyone would be happy with Alonso back. Doubt it will happen unless he all of a sudden gets taken out of the Starting XI. The owners need to understand you cant have a bunch of players in their young 20's to win trophies. You also need those guys with that experience and chip on their shoulder who can help guide the young ones. One thing I think we majorly lack is experience. Maybe one day in the future Xabi can come back to us.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #28: Jan 03, 2013 01:40:10 am
      Djphal on RAWK claiming Alonso does want to return to Liverpool.

Take that with a pinch of salt, take that with a bag of salt, not arsed.

But he's the most respected 'source' over there and has been for a while, don't think I've seen him get anything wrong.

I'd absolutely cream my pants if it was true, then again, still couldn't see the club sanctioning it.
      « Last Edit: Jan 03, 2013 01:59:33 am by Dannylfc »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #29: Jan 03, 2013 01:55:55 am
      Djphal on RAWK claiming Alonso wants to return to Liverpool.

Take that with a pinch of salt, take that with a bag of salt, not arsed.

But he's the most respected 'source' over there and has been for a while, don't think I've seen him get anything wrong.

I'd absolutely cream my pants if it was true, then again, still couldn't see the club sanctioning it.

I could see FSG buying into the theory that 'everything went tits up since he left the club' though.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #30: Jan 03, 2013 03:02:59 am

Bulls-eye! The only way we are getting Xabi back is when he is let go by Real for nothing, so not for another year PLUS Real are not gonna sanction any immediate sale cos they don wanna jeopardize their midfield in an already under-whelming league campaign
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #31: Jan 03, 2013 10:00:08 am
      Xabi still can offer enough quality IMO!  I mean 31 years of age? Whats the problem guys? If he still have the match fitness and is able to play on the top internationel level than he is a great signing. Not every "old" player is a worse player  (Look at Pirlo).  And if he offers for instance two years of top football and helps us to go forward, than he'll have done a decent job for us!

We have a lot great young players with a bright future in our side and to have a player like a Xabi Alonso, who is world champion and twice european champion,  on her side won't make them worse!

So when Xabi says he would love to play for our club again, then get him! The positiv thing about a 31 years old player is, that he isn't really expensive ;)   

This all day.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #32: Jan 03, 2013 04:44:00 pm
      I could see FSG buying into the theory that 'everything went tits up since he left the club' though.

Which it did. Because he left.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #33: Jan 04, 2013 12:04:39 am
      Don't see the need.

Gerrard is playing that role amazingly and his passing/vision are just as good.

Plus...WE HAVE ENOUGH CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #34: Jan 04, 2013 09:19:24 am
      Don't see the need.

Gerrard is playing that role amazingly and his passing/vision are just as good.

Plus...WE HAVE ENOUGH CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS.

Yep...
      But it's Xabi! :P
      He's loved so much  here and he loves the club too and there isn't a player who can pass the ball as well as him. And the last point, he's excellent at corner kicks and free kicks.
      If we can get him, it's fine for me but it's clear that it's improbable we'll sign him.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #35: Jan 05, 2013 04:32:12 am
      ;D

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #36: Jan 05, 2013 07:08:53 am
      If Alonso came back to Anfield I feel he could do a similar job to what Gary Mac did for us ,sadly I can't see it happening and with this player age policy the club has it must be near to zero chance of it happening.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #37: Jan 05, 2013 09:19:59 am
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #38: Jan 05, 2013 09:44:06 am
      that's from someone's ass.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #39: Jan 05, 2013 11:02:16 am
      I could see us buying him... But not for £30 Million!

I watched that Moneyball movie last night - now I'm no expert on the theory but they had old players there so perhaps if the right player comes along they will sign him?!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #40: Jan 05, 2013 11:24:38 am
      I could see us buying him... But not for £30 Million!

I watched that Moneyball movie last night - now I'm no expert on the theory but they had old players there so perhaps if the right player comes along they will sign him?!
      I hope that's not how they're running the club , on the theory of a movie called moneyball . :(
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #41: Jan 05, 2013 11:34:49 am
      I hope that's not how they're running the club , on the theory of a movie called moneyball . :(

Moneyball was a movie about the theory that was implemented by the RedSox - ending their 80 year curse of the bambino and winning them the World Series. Its actually a theory called sabermetrics - check it out...
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #42: Jan 05, 2013 11:40:46 am
      Moneyball was a movie about the theory that was implemented by the RedSox - ending their 80 year curse of the bambino and winning them the World Series. Its actually a theory called sabermetrics - check it out...
      Thanks mate , i've been meaning to watch the movie , i didn't know that it was about the Redsox.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #43: Jan 05, 2013 11:48:22 am
      Thanks mate , i've been meaning to watch the movie , i didn't know that it was about the Redsox.

Its not - its about the Oakland Athletics. But the theory is what JWH implemented in Boston....

Basically its not about buying big stars and paying loads - its about buying runs. I wont go into it on here but worth checking out the movie or reading about sabermetrics on the net...

The thory is transferable, in essence to Football - but we will see. If this was implemented exactly when BR took over there are some simalarities to what we are doing! Especially being absolute sh*te then becoming a lot better - but we will see!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #44: Jan 05, 2013 04:47:07 pm

I don't know myself. It is just a picture image I took from Facebook but there's no source or link to it.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #45: Jan 05, 2013 04:57:24 pm

;D have you seen Moneyball? It is about the Oakland Athletics and how Billy Beane (their GM) used sabermetrics to build a playoff contending team. He regarded OBP (on base percentage) as the number one stat to help produce more runs and used that to help build a team. It wasn't just only OBP that he looked at but it is an example of this theory.

Quick Reply