Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 504198 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #1403: Aug 01, 2014 01:26:40 pm
      And you reckon Sturride will be up for the change in system?

I personally feel Sterling could go on to outshine him this season in an attacking sense.

Why wouldn't he. Sturridge up front, with Sterling slightly deeper would be a good start.
      Coutinho supplying both. Markovic out wider with Can and Henderson pressing/running.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 827 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1404: Aug 01, 2014 01:29:12 pm
      Why wouldn't he. Sturridge up front, with Sterling slightly deeper would be a good start.
      Coutinho supplying both. Markovic out wider with Can and Henderson pressing/running.

Fair, i agree but he has to have someone close by imo he can't become isolated because the moment he does, he will try too much.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1405: Aug 01, 2014 01:34:25 pm
      Fair, i agree but he has to have someone close by imo he can't become isolated because the moment he does, he will try too much.

Looking at the link up play last night.
      Sterling will obviously work the lines behind him and Henderson and Can made a lot of runs into the box.
      I don't think this will be an issue. Only issue really was Sturridge and Lambert, which I don't think works.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1406: Aug 01, 2014 01:34:53 pm
      Never let him take another Pen, Sturridge just doesn't do Pens.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 827 
      Reply #1407: Aug 01, 2014 01:37:15 pm
      Looking at the link up play last night.
      Sterling will obviously work the lines behind him and Henderson and Can made a lot of runs into the box.
      I don't think this will be an issue. Only issue really was Sturridge and Lambert, which I don't think works.

Very true and another thing i forgot was the missing Lallana, i reckon he like Coutinho and Sterling will be linking up well with Danny and if so he can also help reduce the issue.

Yeah for me if anything Sturridge should have dropped deeper than Lambert not the other way around, Lambert is not mobile enough to be playing so deep where as Sturridge could turn and run at players.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1408: Aug 01, 2014 01:40:57 pm
      Very true and another thing i forgot was the missing Lallana, i reckon he like Coutinho and Sterling will be linking up well with Danny and if so he can also help reduce the issue.

Yeah for me if anything Sturridge should have dropped deeper than Lambert not the other way around, Lambert is not mobile enough to be playing so deep where as Sturridge could turn and run at players.

Sturridge/Lambert

Markovic         Lallana/Coutinho         Sterling

Hendo/Can        Gerrard/Lucas

Get some fullbacks and another attacking option and we are sorted.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #1409: Aug 01, 2014 02:10:01 pm
      Very surprised with the negative comments about Danny.

I think he'll thrive being the main man up front.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1410: Aug 01, 2014 03:11:57 pm
      Very surprised with the negative comments about Danny.

I think he'll thrive being the main man up front.

Same, some people have short memories though. Especially when they were singing his praises last season.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1411: Aug 01, 2014 03:34:20 pm
      Very shocked to be seeing the negative comments, remember, based on last season he's the best striker in the league now Suarez is gone.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 827 
      Reply #1412: Aug 01, 2014 04:48:43 pm
      Same, some people have short memories though. Especially when they were singing his praises last season.

What is with people on this forum and querying people's memory ability.

I recognize how good he was last season, I appreciate how good of a player he is, I was just voicing my concern of a nigling thought that's been playing in my head.

First and foremost I think he will do well but there is that part of me that fears what I have mentioned above.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1413: Aug 01, 2014 05:05:30 pm
      Very shocked to be seeing the negative comments, remember, based on last season he's the best striker in the league now Suarez is gone.

Find it bizarre as well. Knee jerking at it's most ridiculous. They seemingly forget his form without Suarez in the last 4 games of 2012/2013 (where he scored a hattrick against Fulham remember) and his form at the start of last season. Everyone says we wouldn't have been where we were without Suarez. Well we wouldn't be where we were without Sturridge.

Then again, it's pre season and people just need something to complain about.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 827 
      Reply #1414: Aug 01, 2014 05:16:30 pm
      Find it bizarre as well. Knee jerking at it's most ridiculous. They seemingly forget his form without Suarez in the last 4 games of 2012/2013 (where he scored a hattrick against Fulham remember) and his form at the start of last season. Everyone says we wouldn't have been where we were without Suarez. Well we wouldn't be where we were without Sturridge.

Then again, it's pre season and people just need something to complain about.

I haven't forgot anything and clearly as I'm the only person recently to voice concerns over Danny you're referring to me.

Yes he did it last season and I am sure he can do it again but what about if his form dips and he finds himself isolated, without a partner someone to be up there with him I feel he will become a frustrated figure and not as prolific.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1415: Aug 01, 2014 06:39:25 pm
      Yes he did it last season and I am sure he can do it again but what about if his form dips and he finds himself isolated, without a partner someone to be up there with him I feel he will become a frustrated figure and not as prolific.

I agree with you

Been watching a lot of reruns of our games, and I can understand why people called us a 1 man team. Suarez made the difference in our attack, there's no two ways about it, he made our attack world class. His movement created so much space for Sturridge, his relentless pressing allowed Sturridge to move or stay in vital areas, but most importantly, Suarez instilled fear into the opposition making them more vigilant towards him rather than other players.

I have my concerns whether Sturridge can be as prolific throughout the season as he was last. We are no doubt weaker in attack, and I think he really needs that 2nd forward that does the dirty work, but also to be creative and able to support him for us to see the best in him, otherwise, I agree,  he'll find himself isolated and frustrated a fair bit.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 827 
      Reply #1416: Aug 01, 2014 06:48:03 pm
      I agree with you

Been watching a lot of reruns of our games, and I can understand why people called us a 1 man team. Suarez made the difference in our attack, there's no two ways about it, he made our attack world class. His movement created so much space for Sturridge, his relentless pressing allowed Sturridge to move or stay in vital areas, but most importantly, Suarez instilled fear into the opposition making them more vigilant towards him rather than other players.

I have my concerns whether Sturridge can be as prolific throughout the season as he was last. We are no doubt weaker in attack, and I think he really needs that 2nd forward that does the dirty work, but also to be creative and able to support him for us to see the best in him, otherwise, I agree,  he'll find himself isolated and frustrated a fair bit.

Yes that's what I'm saying yes he did it when he was alone at start of last season but from then on he had Suarez there to help him a lot more. 

All my point was that now Suarez has left I am not sure Sturridge will always be able to be the threat he was last season. As he is relying on Sterling and co a lot more than he was when with Suarez.
      « Last Edit: Aug 01, 2014 07:12:11 pm by vsterling »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1417: Aug 01, 2014 07:11:04 pm
      he did it when he was alone at start of last season but from then on he had Suarez there to help him a lot more. 

If you watch the games again that Suarez didn't play at the start of last season, we actually played more as a team. Sturridge played like how any striker plays for their team. Our attack was never the focual point, we were more of a unit. Yes, Sturridge did the job well, but he wasn't a difference in attack like how Messi, Ronaldo or Suarez are.

I'm not trying downplay Sturridge, we just need to play to his strengths, and it's not creating or pressing, it's his finishing. I think he's a better finisher than Suarez, but I also believe his hold up play can be exceptional, more like a target man. I actually see a bit of Drogba in him :O
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1418: Aug 01, 2014 11:32:38 pm
      Funnily enough our stats for last season when Suarez did not play are just as good if not better as when he played!
      Just wish our fans would give some of our players some credit rather than implying we were a 1 man team. Leave that to our competitors.
      Suarez became the player he is because of the team he played with........

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 827 
      Reply #1419: Aug 01, 2014 11:34:18 pm
      Funnily enough our stats for last season when Shared did not play are just as good if not better as when he played!
      Just wish our fans would give some of our players some credit rather than implying we were a 1 man team. Leave that to our competitors.
      Shared became the player he is because of the team he played with........

Shared = Suarez (i assume) :D
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1420: Aug 01, 2014 11:35:00 pm
      Funnily enough our stats for last season when Suarez did not play are just as good if not better as when he played!
      Suarez became the player he is because of the team he played with........

haha predictive text strikes again
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1421: Aug 01, 2014 11:37:51 pm
      Yeah sorry guys now sorted hopefully! That's the problem with using the mobile when on hols.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 827 
      Reply #1422: Aug 03, 2014 02:39:48 am
      Being sent back to Melwood to undergo treatment for a minor injury.

Get well soon Danny.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,717 posts | 7164 
      Reply #1423: Aug 03, 2014 01:32:58 pm
      this is the only concern with Daniel is he strong enough to go through an entire season without minor injuries.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 827 
      Reply #1424: Aug 03, 2014 01:49:19 pm
      this is the only concern with Daniel is he strong enough to go through an entire season without minor injuries.

Indeed, also its hard for a player to pick up exactly where he left off before an injury, so we really do need to keep him fit, I am just hoping this is all precautionary. 
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #1425: Aug 03, 2014 02:21:46 pm
      Did he get injured in training?

Quick Reply