Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 498117 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #1702: Nov 18, 2014 09:56:51 pm
      Heartbreaking. Really feel for the lad.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1703: Nov 18, 2014 10:01:07 pm
      The slight glimmer of hope I have is Sturridge hasn't had a scan yet. Please please please don't let it be anything serious.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1704: Nov 18, 2014 10:01:10 pm
      hate to say it but it was really stupid to give him a new contract so soon.  He should have been able to prove he could stay fit for a whole season first.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1705: Nov 18, 2014 10:02:03 pm

It's always been my one residing doubt about him mate. Said it when people were trying to sell him as world class that he had to do it on a consistent level, which includes steering clear of injuries. No side can rely on someone so injury prone, while that might sound harsh, it's a harsh truth.

I love the lad but this spell on the sidelines has made me conclude that we need to move forward with someone else as our main striker. We can't build our strategies and purchases around a player who probably wont play more than 60% of a season. The problem with muscle strains is once they start they recur more and more. He knows, Brendan knows and we should now know that Studge's career is going to continue in this vein and we need to look after ourselves. We really should be looking to shift Borini on in Jan and bringing in 2 strikers, 1 above Studge's level and one to compete with him, of course that wont happen.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1706: Nov 18, 2014 10:02:18 pm
      Remember ladies, this all started with a meaningless ENGLAND game, when the Owl played him for 89 mins, and the all wonderful Rooney played for only 70.

I hope LFC are getting a pretty penny from the FA's insurance company, but I bout it.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      Reply #1707: Nov 18, 2014 10:03:16 pm
      hate to say it but it was really stupid to give him a new contract so soon.  He should have been able to prove he could stay fit for a whole season first.

You really are an arse.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1708: Nov 18, 2014 10:11:33 pm

why?  why give long-term contracts to players who can't stay fit?

that was one of the reasons we got rid of Agger; it was THE reason we didn't re-sign Aurelio etc.

In fact it's one of FSG's areas of emphasis with player contracts---they don't want to pay players high wages and long contracts if they're injured half of the time.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Reply #1709: Nov 18, 2014 10:12:04 pm
      Holy Sh*t we are f**king cursed.

The transfer folly over the summer is really coming home to roost. Putting all our faith in a injury plagued player thats miss management on the scale of the banking scandals.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #1710: Nov 18, 2014 10:14:45 pm
      Sturridge injured again and Johnson offered a new contract. I sincerely hope I wake up from this nightmare soon.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1711: Nov 18, 2014 10:18:08 pm

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1712: Nov 18, 2014 10:22:45 pm
      Wow! We can't catch a break right now can we?!

Getting fed up watching the lad sit in the stands decked out in chains and expensive ear rings with his posse.

Anyway's were left with his track to bob to whilst he is resigned to the sidelines.

Milan, Barca, Beefa, south of France
      We be in the club doing the Sturridge Dance
      Yeah we're balling like we're Sturridge
      After the club we on the plane, no luggage

[Verse]
      Every gadget what the car's got
      We roll up in more whips than a car lot
      Designer head to toe, yeah that's our lot

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      Reply #1713: Nov 18, 2014 10:23:28 pm

that was one of the reasons we got rid of Agger; it was THE reason we didn't re-sign Aurelio etc.

In fact it's one of FSG's areas of emphasis with player contracts---they don't want to pay players high wages and long contracts if they're injured half of the time.

I guess we should not have given a long term contract to Suarez until he could prove he could play a whole season without being banned then.

Should we not give Sterling etal long term contracts until he/they can prove they won't get injured?

If you don't offer long term contacts then players will leave. Fact.

I guess you work for ATOS.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Reply #1714: Nov 18, 2014 10:47:29 pm
      Sounds like it's the same thigh injury, which if true I think we should prepare for the worst and he may need an op which means not seeing him at all this season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1715: Nov 18, 2014 11:03:17 pm
      posted before he has only played about 80 or so league games in 7 years he is injury prone.
      He may improve with age but right now the lad has serious problems meaning we have even more serious problems
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1716: Nov 18, 2014 11:04:04 pm
      Sounds like it's the same thigh injury, which if true I think we should prepare for the worst and he may need an op which means not seeing him at all this season.

the lad has serious fitness and strength issues .
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1717: Nov 18, 2014 11:15:00 pm
      Just seen the news. Fuc...k it and fu....ck our season.

How much was resting on this lad's shoulders? Not sure I can face more of the drivel we have played thus far this season. So so so spoilt last season. Incredible breath-taking football. This season has been the complete opposite.

Absolutely dismayed by this news. There are a lot of games until the transfer window gets here and even then, will FSG give Brendan the money to bring in a proper striker? And can he be trusted to spend it on the right player? Unless this happens I think we are looking at 6th place at best I really do.
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1718: Nov 18, 2014 11:16:12 pm

Why always the inflammatory comments in threads where it's obvious posters will be angry and pissed off?
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #1719: Nov 18, 2014 11:33:02 pm
      I'm gutted. Gutted for the team. Gutted for Daniel. It's such a shame we were relying on him to save our season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,294 posts | 4941 
      Reply #1720: Nov 18, 2014 11:38:36 pm

Exactly my thoughts Saint.

Quickly followed by how it still leaves us in the sh*t unless the boss has a rethink on how and who we play in the side.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1721: Nov 18, 2014 11:43:18 pm
      Exactly my thoughts Saint.

Quickly followed by how it still leaves us in the sh*t unless the boss has a rethink on how and who we play in the side.

To be honest I don't really fancy any of our options at the moment mate. We just have to hope that someone hits form and starts scoring , but I agree Brenden needs to do something to help that happen.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,294 posts | 4941 
      Reply #1722: Nov 18, 2014 11:48:40 pm
      To be honest I don't really fancy any of our options at the moment mate. We just have to hope that someone hits form and starts scoring , but I agree Brenden needs to do something to help that happen.

If you're talking about strikers then I agree Saint.

As much as I like Borini his goal tally never has been his biggest strength, Balotelli has been poor since he came here and Lambert was signed to be a fill in player although he deserves a chance as well if Mario's displays have been anything to go by.

As I said in the match thread I'd like to see a change up and a front three of Borini, Sterling and Lallana.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1723: Nov 19, 2014 12:00:48 am
      If you're talking about strikers then I agree Saint.

As much as I like Borini his goal tally never has been his biggest strength, Balotelli has been poor since he came here and Lambert was signed to be a fill in player although he deserves a chance as well if Mario's displays have been anything to go by.

As I said in the match thread I'd like to see a change up and a front three of Borini, Sterling and Lallana.

As you know I think Borini is a fourth choice striker at best, but Balotelli hasn't exactly shown he is much better up to now. I would prefer to try to find a way to get Balotelli playing better myself , but can't really find an argument against trying Borini unfortunately.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,380 posts | 6403 
      Reply #1724: Nov 19, 2014 12:10:44 am
      Don't understand that FL. He left us with £200k worth of wages and £75m to fill his position alone (not Sturridge's also).

We chose to spend £140k wages and £20m of it on 2 players that don't fit, it is not Suarez's fault we just failed completely to get even close to replacing him.

For 200k and £75m we literally could have had our choice of strikers. Cavani/Benzema/Costa, all of them would have signed for that money, we chose not to and we fu**ed up, not Suarez and why you keep kidding yourself that FL I don't get.

Personally don't think that Cavani, Benzema or Costa are remotely close to the kind of player that Suarez was. Did we replace him well, no, not at all. Would we have had to replace him if he hadn't angled for a move and left us, nope. If he was still here, likely we'd be top of the table or at least very close. To my knowledge no one within the club wanted to sell Suarez...he made that happen on his own so I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to give him a pass. Nevertheless...this isn't the thread for that discussion.

Sorry for derailing.

Quick Reply