Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 6th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W10 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 497167 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #3335: Jun 16, 2016 08:49:41 pm
      listening to Roy he didn't sound like he was going to be starting next game he mentioned it was good to have players like Danny on the bench to come on.......w**ker
      MsGerrard
      Reply #3336: Jun 16, 2016 09:14:58 pm
      To think, he is their best striker yet he has been benched for 135 of the 180 minutes so far.

Now if he was a Tottenham player.....
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #3337: Jun 17, 2016 11:19:09 am
      Great to see our Daniel lighting up the tournament.  He has so much more to his game than Kane, and contrary to some, I think he'll benefit next season from a few England matches this summer.  After all, Klopp gave him a pre-season in the early spring, so he should be in form by August given that he hasn't played much for us since. A few competitive outings now might just give him an edge as long as he doesn't spend the rest of his summer, post-Euros, lazing on a beach! 

That's assuming Woy's crew don't break his legs in training, of course...
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #3338: Jun 17, 2016 02:47:03 pm
      That's assuming Woy's crew don't break his legs in training, of course...

That's why I don't mind if the Hodge is an idiot and doesn't play Sturridge :laugh:
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,128 posts | 454 
      Reply #3339: Jun 17, 2016 04:29:32 pm
      I would keep Sturridge on the bench too. He has injury problems and he needs to have the best chance of playing in the games which his quality is needed.   I would want him to get on the pitch for the last half an hour or so.   But think he will probably start now after the heroics. 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #3340: Jun 28, 2016 11:15:04 am
      One of the few England players to come back with his head held high despite the Owl playing him out of position.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #3341: Jun 28, 2016 11:18:39 am
      Very glad to get Studgey back without any injuries from his lil holiday in france!

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3342: Jun 28, 2016 03:30:05 pm
      Very glad to get Studgey back without any injuries from his lil holiday in france!

Just mightily relieved that no other Liverpool players were a part of that farce last night. Phew!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,561 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3343: Jul 28, 2016 11:25:44 pm
      Top Premier League Goal Scorer Odds

Sergio Aguero
      7/2
      Harry Kane
      6/1
      Zlatan Ibrahimović
      8/1
      Romelu Lukaku
      12/1
      Diego Costa
      16/1
      Olivier Giroud
      16/1
      Jamie Vardy
      16/1
      Alexis Sanchez
      20/1
      Daniel Sturridge
      20/1
      Michy Batshuayi
      20/1

You'd have to think that if we're to challenge next season, need Studge to end up a lot higher in this chart at end of season. We should have more options in midfield, and more goals, sure - but if you don't have at least one striker pushing to the tops of these kinda tables, then usually the side won't be pushing the top of the PL.

Quick compare:

Harry Kane
      2014–15   Premier League    21
      2015–16   Premier League    25
      Danny
      2014–15 Premier League    4
      2015–16 Premier League    8

So far, I haven't seen many goals in Ings - grafter, yes, but even as a backup, not sure he's going to score many goals. And Origi will need to be close to the form of end of last season - as opposed to anytime before that - to get into the teens scored. Firmino is not a natural front man.

Benteke looks like he is on his way. So much for our hoped for 20+ a season man.

Appreciate good strikers don't grow on trees, and Klopp is obviously looking for a lot more goals from midfield. And imo a LB is more important. But I would've liked to improve on Ings, maybe get someone who'd move past Origi into 2nd choice - but probably not going to happen now.

Purely based on the stats from last 2 years for our strikers, those midfielders, particularly the new ones, will need to really step up and start banging a few in.

Or Daniel hits the vein his ability deserves.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3344: Jul 28, 2016 11:34:57 pm
      You'd have to think that if we're to challenge next season, need Studge to end up a lot higher in this chart at end of season.

It's only because of his injury record he is so low down in that list. He's a goal scorer, he's proved that time and time again. The key is getting him to stay injury free.

So far, I haven't seen many goals in Ings - grafter, yes, but even as a backup, not sure he's going to score many goals.

It's hard to judge Ings at the moment, just as he was hitting form for us he picked up a bad injury.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3345: Jul 28, 2016 11:52:05 pm
      Top Premier League Goal Scorer Odds

Sergio Aguero
      7/2
      Harry Kane
      6/1
      Zlatan Ibrahimović
      8/1
      Romelu Lukaku
      12/1
      Diego Costa
      16/1
      Olivier Giroud
      16/1
      Jamie Vardy
      16/1
      Alexis Sanchez
      20/1
      Daniel Sturridge
      20/1
      Michy Batshuayi
      20/1

You'd have to think that if we're to challenge next season, need Studge to end up a lot higher in this chart at end of season. We should have more options in midfield, and more goals, sure - but if you don't have at least one striker pushing to the tops of these kinda tables, then usually the side won't be pushing the top of the PL.

Quick compare:

Harry Kane
      2014–15   Premier League    21
      2015–16   Premier League    25
      Danny
      2014–15 Premier League    4
      2015–16 Premier League    8

So far, I haven't seen many goals in Ings - grafter, yes, but even as a backup, not sure he's going to score many goals. And Origi will need to be close to the form of end of last season - as opposed to anytime before that - to get into the teens scored. Firmino is not a natural front man.

Benteke looks like he is on his way. So much for our hoped for 20+ a season man.

Appreciate good strikers don't grow on trees, and Klopp is obviously looking for a lot more goals from midfield. And imo a LB is more important. But I would've liked to improve on Ings, maybe get someone who'd move past Origi into 2nd choice - but probably not going to happen now.

Purely based on the stats from last 2 years for our strikers, those midfielders, particularly the new ones, will need to really step up and start banging a few in.

Or Daniel hits the vein his ability deserves.

The thing you failed to mention though was that Sturridge missed a hell of a lot of those two seasons, that kind of skews things in Kane's favour straight away.

I also don't get that bit in bold, he's scored 20+ goals for us in a season before and there's no reason to suggest he can't do it this season.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #3346: Jul 29, 2016 10:53:45 am
      If Sturridge stays fit (and we pick him, he can't score while he's sat on his @rse and Origi is playing) he scores 20 goals in a season all day long. Unfortunately it has to be said that given his history, the chances of him staying fit all season are extremely slim. Also given our recent history the chance of the boss playing him over Origi consistently when both are fit are slim too. The odds in that case are about right IMHO.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #3347: Jul 29, 2016 11:11:15 am
      If Sturridge stays fit (and we pick him, he can't score while he's sat on his @rse and Origi is playing) he scores 20 goals in a season all day long. Unfortunately it has to be said that given his history, the chances of him staying fit all season are extremely slim. Also given our recent history the chance of the boss playing him over Origi consistently when both are fit are slim too. The odds in that case are about right IMHO.
      A fit firing Sturridge will play most games mate , as is noted keeping him fit is the main task , do that and we have one of the top strikers in the league ,  I know I know a big ask .
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #3348: Jul 29, 2016 11:39:39 am
      if you look at his contribution these past two seasons and base your opinion on that then he is a lost cause. However he is that good he is one of the few players who we have to stick with because he influences virtually every game he plays in. We have been patient with him and now we should see him fit and raring to go this season.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #3349: Jul 29, 2016 11:44:18 am
      If any of you are questioning whether Studge will be our first choice striker then you need to get on the old youtube and watch all his liverpool goals and you'll realise he is world class.

He's head and shoulders above ANY of our stikers.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,308 posts | 8594 
      Reply #3350: Jul 29, 2016 12:44:52 pm
      If any of you are questioning whether Studge will be our first choice striker then you need to get on the old youtube and watch all his liverpool goals and you'll realise he is world class.

He's head and shoulders above ANY of our stikers.

He's good,  I don't think he's world class though.

Again another player who shone because of the genius that was Suarez.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3351: Jul 29, 2016 01:03:19 pm

World class is yet another term that gets bandied around far too much.

Like you said, he's good, but he's not world class.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #3352: Jul 29, 2016 01:07:19 pm

I know what your saying about Luis its been said often enough our tactic in that season was give it to Luis. But Daniel scored his own goals and assisted Luis his problem is and always has been fragility whether physical or mental but if he puts in a full season he will score lots of goals and it would be time then to evaluate his standing in football. At the moment he has a question mark against him and I know he doesn't like that but that's just how it is
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #3353: Jul 29, 2016 01:52:14 pm
      I think the main problem with Studge is his mind, If Jürgen manages to batter his mind into shape then his body will follow.

The bookies may well be baulking by Christmas.

I don't think Jürgen would allow weakness he has already got into his mind last season. Our forward options are looking good this season.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #3354: Jul 29, 2016 05:08:26 pm

Everyone shone because of Suarez, but give Daniel his due when Luis was banned he still banged them in.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,561 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3355: Jul 29, 2016 09:19:29 pm
      The thing you failed to mention though was that Sturridge missed a hell of a lot of those two seasons, that kind of skews things in Kane's favour straight away.

Yep, he has missed a lot of games, that's been part of the package with him. Talented, absolutely, and I'm a big fan, but he can't score goals when laid up with the latest flake. We haven't had even close to a 20 goal a season man for last 2 seasons. Will one of these guys get close ? - they will have to if we're to challenge.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,561 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3356: Jul 29, 2016 09:22:42 pm
      It's hard to judge Ings at the moment, just as he was hitting form for us he picked up a bad injury.

What do you reckon about him though, from what you've seen?  So far to me he doesn't look like a natural goalscorer. I hope someone digs up this quote when he's scoring chances, but can only go on what's been on shown to date.
      Like him though, he's a grafter.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,693 posts | 3931 
      Reply #3357: Jul 29, 2016 09:34:27 pm
      Love him. Can't wait to see this man in full flow this season. Please stay fit Danny boy!

Quick Reply