Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 499537 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #3818: Dec 20, 2016 02:48:53 am
      He is just so, so good.  And he can create something literally out of nothing.  Remember way back when we first signed him, we had a game away at City and he just out of no where scored this laser of a goal, no momentum, no backlift, he was just stood still and then BAM smacked it into the back of the net?

I love that unpredictability about him.

I don't see why he can't just buckle down and put in the work off the ball.  If he did then he would be starting every game when fit.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,482 posts | 3436 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3819: Dec 20, 2016 07:48:25 am
      People should accept by now the way studge plays instead of banging on about what he doesn't do. Still our best striker, love bob but studge is a different class
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3820: Dec 20, 2016 07:59:31 am
      One of the best strikers this club has ever had. It is sad that he has struggled so badly with injuries and even sadder that many fans seem always ready to use this against him as if it was his fault. One of the most under-appreciated players I've seen in red during my time as a fan. I personally love the guy and couldn't be happier with his impact.

"One of the best strikers this club has ever had", Really? Better than who exactly?
       Is he better than Suarez, how about Torres, or Owen, Fowler, Rush, Aldridge, King Kenny or Keegan? I could go on but where would you place him in that list?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #3821: Dec 20, 2016 08:15:36 am
      One of the best strikers this club has ever had. It is sad that he has struggled so badly with injuries and even sadder that many fans seem always ready to use this against him as if it was his fault. One of the most under-appreciated players I've seen in red during my time as a fan. I personally love the guy and couldn't be happier with his impact.

This. Our second best player behind Coutinho, and still not loved. The only other Liverpool player who came close in terms of the difference between what he deserved in terms of respect off fans and what he actually got was Steven Gerrard.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3822: Dec 20, 2016 09:56:09 am
      "One of the best strikers this club has ever had", Really? Better than who exactly?
       Is he better than Suarez, how about Torres, or Owen, Fowler, Rush, Aldridge, King Kenny or Keegan? I could go on but where would you place him in that list?

I don't care where he is on that list, really - even if he's "only" the 9th best striker this club has ever had, that's what I would call one of the best strikers we ever had.

And can you actually go on? I really doubt it. Sturridge still beats them all for goals scored per games played.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,471 posts | 4592 
      Reply #3823: Dec 20, 2016 09:59:46 am
      Gets a shot off which he was unlucky not to score but his misfortune created that chance for Mane to pounce & slot in the winner...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #3824: Dec 20, 2016 10:09:31 am
      Gets a shot off which he was unlucky not to score but his misfortune created that chance for Mane to pounce & slot in the winner...

Precisely, so what's not to like? The preamble wasn't bad either. Dipped out of the line to come short and get it, dropped the shoulder to create a yard, dummied to hit to create another half, then was brave enough to take the shot on and bang unlucky not to score himself.

Big players do big things at big moments in big matches. Some of our more vaunted players don't, thats the difference.
      Kopite78
      Reply #3825: Dec 20, 2016 10:26:05 am
      Precisely, so what's not to like? The preamble wasn't bad either. Dipped out of the line to come short and get it, dropped the shoulder to create a yard, dummied to hit to create another half, then was brave enough to take the shot on and bang unlucky not to score himself.

Nothing not to like Mick apart from his injuries

I don't think you will find any red who dislikes him Mick, I think you've got a bee in your bonnet for no real reason, we just beat the blues in the 94th minute  :laugh:.... Today is a great F***ing day, be happy buddy
      Every single red I know thinks Sturridge is F***ing great, absolutely boss at footie.. But his injuries stop him becoming a real fan favourite, I don't see any issue with that. But I know every single one I was with or have spoken to since were happy as a pig in sh*te when he came on last night because he has the ability to do something like he did

People not comparing him to other legends or loving a different player for different reasons is sound, don't let it upset you or make it your personal battle to try to make people adore him.. If he got himself on the pitch more often then it would be natural

I think he's boss me, but I think of him as a luxury because that's what he is, since 13/14 he's played in 36 league games, since he signed for the club 5 years ago in a couple of weeks he's only started 79 games in all comps, that's 16 starts a year...
      No one doubts his talent nor his ability that I know

As you like comparing him to Bobby, he's in his second season at the club, he's started 58 games in a season and a half
      Or compare to Phil who signed the same month 5 years ago he has started 140 games in the same period Danny has started 79 and the argument would also include Phil was still raw and adapting when he signed as compared to Danny who was more premier league ready.

Like I say I think the lad is so talented, I feel more comfortable when he is on the pitch... If he was on it more, he'd be adored

Anywho... He helped last night as we beat the blues

Happy F***ing days

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3826: Dec 20, 2016 11:08:58 am
      Great to have a player like Daniel as part of our squad.  We don't need to rely on him anymore but we know he can deliver when we do.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #3827: Dec 20, 2016 12:54:47 pm
      0-0 was written all over this, until Sturridge entered the fray.

Should be pushing Origi for that central position now.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3828: Dec 20, 2016 09:44:04 pm
      0-0 was written all over this, until Sturridge entered the fray.

Should be pushing Origi for that central position now.

Was disappointed with Origi to be honest. I know it wasn't the easiest of games but he was poor, constantly losing the ball and posed no threat. Shame given how well he has been doing lately.

Personally I'd still go for Sturridge ahead of him.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #3829: Dec 21, 2016 05:47:45 am
      Was disappointed with Origi to be honest. I know it wasn't the easiest of games but he was poor, constantly losing the ball and posed no threat. Shame given how well he has been doing lately.

Personally I'd still go for Sturridge ahead of him.

I thought Origi was poor as well, he failed to relieve pressure and make the ball stick. He was frustrating.

trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #3830: Dec 21, 2016 09:14:44 am
      I think sturridge can replace mane when he goes to the Afcon if he gets off his "I like to play through the middle" high horse. He comes in off the right for most of his goals anyway so I don't see the problem.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,875 posts | 165 
      Reply #3831: Dec 21, 2016 07:52:12 pm
      Still a match winner, no way should he be sold.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3832: Dec 22, 2016 11:18:49 pm
      if he gets off his "I like to play through the middle" high horse.

Seen a few posts on here in the last couple days about his so called attitude, high horse, ego etc. Still yet to actually see any of this from him, I must be missing something because every tie I have seen him play he has looked determined to prove a point regardless of where he is playing and regardless of how long he is on the pitch for. He seems to be working hard in training and it giving off no impression of his so called attitude at all.
      IMO people have got it into their heads he is this egotistical, arrogant player when it doesn't actually seem to be the case at all.

In fact for a player that is so determined to play through the middle and sulks if he can't, he doesn't half drop out of position a hell of a lot to get involved, whether that is out wide or near on all the way back to the halfway line.

Not the first time I have done this post this season either...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3833: Dec 23, 2016 12:20:46 am
      Seen a few posts on here in the last couple days about his so called attitude, high horse, ego etc. Still yet to actually see any of this from him, I must be missing something because every tie I have seen him play he has looked determined to prove a point regardless of where he is playing and regardless of how long he is on the pitch for. He seems to be working hard in training and it giving off no impression of his so called attitude at all.
      IMO people have got it into their heads he is this egotistical, arrogant player when it doesn't actually seem to be the case at all.

In fact for a player that is so determined to play through the middle and sulks if he can't, he doesn't half drop out of position a hell of a lot to get involved, whether that is out wide or near on all the way back to the halfway line.

Bizarre, isn't it?

Each time he's come on, he's looked hungry and wants to get involved. But if he's not screaming and dancing when we score it means he's not arsed apparently.

He's still comfortably our best finisher and his movement is still excellent without the ball. You don't sell that and you definitely don't sell it in January.

Just wish he'd somehow get back to his explosive best with his pace and dynamism. If he were playing for almost any other team, it wouldn't be as big of an issue.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3834: Dec 23, 2016 11:55:44 am
      Cracking player, fragile body.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #3835: Dec 23, 2016 05:08:48 pm

Sorry,did you say everytime you've seen him play he looks determined to prove a point where ever he's played. Not up front he hasn't. He lacks the work rate that Klopp requires compared to Firmino or Origi, well from what I've seen anyway. The lad scores goals and there's no denying that fact but not like he has for the previous regime before Klopp and maybe that's because of the different system. I've said it count less times before that Sturridge is not a lone striker because of his work rate up top. His countless injuries is another reason why I don't think he's suited to the way we play now. Klopp has said that Firmino is the first defender the way he plays and Sturridge is certainly not that. Out wide he will probably more effective for us, just my opinion.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #3836: Dec 23, 2016 10:29:00 pm

but

And here I thought it was goals that won games  :f_doh:   Silly me....   
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #3837: Dec 24, 2016 04:21:22 pm
      We've got so far up the table without Sturridge being his normal clinical self, imagine if he gets back to being like that. We'll have a whole new goal threat with the goals everyone else has been whacking in.
       I don't want him having to do defensive work, only when he has to fight for the ball up front. He should just be there to be available when needed. All that tracking back to prove how much he works is just irritating to me. His job is goals, that's it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3838: Dec 24, 2016 04:56:13 pm
      Sorry,did you say everytime you've seen him play he looks determined to prove a point where ever he's played. Not up front he hasn't. He lacks the work rate that Klopp requires compared to Firmino or Origi, well from what I've seen anyway. The lad scores goals and there's no denying that fact but not like he has for the previous regime before Klopp and maybe that's because of the different system. I've said it count less times before that Sturridge is not a lone striker because of his work rate up top. His countless injuries is another reason why I don't think he's suited to the way we play now. Klopp has said that Firmino is the first defender the way he plays and Sturridge is certainly not that. Out wide he will probably more effective for us, just my opinion.

Yep, that's what I said, as you can quite clearly see.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,597 posts | 1681 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3839: Dec 27, 2016 07:46:24 pm
      Thought he looked sharper today when he came on, and great finish even though you'd expect him to score from there.
      Will surely have a part to play in the next two games (maybe a start in one).
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,495 posts | 232 
      Reply #3840: Dec 27, 2016 11:28:46 pm
      Thought he looked sharper today when he came on, and great finish even though you'd expect him to score from there.
      Will surely have a part to play in the next two games (maybe a start in one).

Prefer him to start next game.

Quick Reply