Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 506400 times
      oliviamul
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #3887: Jan 12, 2017 02:27:52 pm
      Signed Liverpool top ends in 30 mins donated by Liverpool FC to raise money for the basement homeless charity and Marie Curie
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302189985194?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3888: Jan 12, 2017 02:30:12 pm
      I said months ago that Sturridge slows down our play.

Nothing I've seen since has changed my mind.

Can barely hold the ball up, doesn't challenge in the air, seems to think a fancy trick or 2 makes up for slowing things down so much, doesn't close down or track, and seems reluctant to sprint.

I am coming to the conclusion that Sturridge was made to look better than he is by Suarez.

Set the team up for him, and he'll get goals, but otherwise he struggles and we need more from a striker in Klopp's system.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #3889: Jan 12, 2017 02:45:19 pm
      In the way that we play, Firmino is simply the better option up front. His movement, constant pressing and link up play with the 2 behind him makes Studge look like he's stuck in concrete while on the pitch. What happened to the Studge who played off the defender's shoulder, with the pace to get in behind or get open in the box? Instead, he's dropping deep, always outside the box. Granted the two behind him last night produced no creative moments, but effort should be the bare minimum which wasn't accomplished last night by Studge, in my opinion.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,632 posts | 765 
      Reply #3890: Jan 12, 2017 03:04:43 pm
      here we go, its bash sturridge time till he scores again  :roll:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #3891: Jan 12, 2017 03:16:31 pm
      Sturridge is a player that needs a long run of games to really  hit his stride

That's not quite true though FL. One of the redeeming factors about him being so often injured is that it took him no time at all to hit his top stride. Unfortunately, in my opinion, we're now seeing Sturridge at the fittest he's probably been in an awful long time, the problem is his peak is now way below where it was for the last few years. That's what I mean by unfortunate, it's great to see him finally up for selection so often, it's just a cruel twist that it comes when I believe the injuries have finally caught up with him. Beyond that it might be subconscious that he is no longer pushing his body to the limits because of his past history, I've no idea which the only thing I do know is the player I'm watching currently isn't on the same level as the one we had a couple of years ago.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,447 posts | 6433 
      Reply #3892: Jan 12, 2017 03:51:33 pm
      That's not quite true though FL. One of the redeeming factors about him being so often injured is that it took him no time at all to hit his top stride. Unfortunately, in my opinion, we're now seeing Sturridge at the fittest he's probably been in an awful long time, the problem is his peak is now way below where it was for the last few years. That's what I mean by unfortunate, it's great to see him finally up for selection so often, it's just a cruel twist that it comes when I believe the injuries have finally caught up with him. Beyond that it might be subconscious that he is no longer pushing his body to the limits because of his past history, I've no idea which the only thing I do know is the player I'm watching currently isn't on the same level as the one we had a couple of years ago.

Maybe  I worded it wrong, but what I mean to say is that he needs to be a regular player to consistently play at his best. I'm not really worried about his pace or quickness. His footwork, shooting ability and skill alone make him pretty close to Firmino (if  not arguably above him) as our  most dangerous striker. That's my opinion but that's how I see it.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #3893: Jan 12, 2017 04:56:23 pm
      Maybe  I worded it wrong, but what I mean to say is that he needs to be a regular player to consistently play at his best. I'm not really worried about his pace or quickness. His footwork, shooting ability and skill alone make him pretty close to Firmino (if  not arguably above him) as our  most dangerous striker. That's my opinion but that's how I see it.

Fair enough.

I'll have to disagree with you on this though, from what I've seen in the past Studge hits top form almost immediately and his current run, despite a slight niggle has probably been the longest sustained fitness he's had outside of the nearly season.

In terms of finishers, I'd agree Sturridge is unrivalled at the club, but for overall package I just don't think he brings enough right now and in my opinion pushing Firmino wide for the benefit of either Origi or Sturridge hurts our game much more than it enhances it.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #3894: Jan 13, 2017 09:39:43 am

And you're right.

You're also right about Danny needing games to get into a grove, and he hasn't been able to get into his stride - what with injuries and being sidelined by Klopp.

Yesterday was his first 90 for God knows how long, he was poor but IMO that's due to the fact he's hardly figured and instead played a bit part, and nothing else. He needs a decent run in the side but I doubt he'll get it, what with injuries or Klopp chopping and changing the line-up and thus this will induce typical criticism of him.

Fans bang on about pace as though it is the be all and end all to certain strikers' games, but that isn't Sturridge's only weapon in his arsenal, if you've got the movement and brain to ghost in and out of areas, which Sturridge definitely has then you can still ply your trade at the top level. People like to think Sturridge rely's solely on his pace and there's much more to his game than that.

Yesterday he was poor, however he was hardly aided by an effective midfield who practically made square passes all game. The only through ball Sturridge was offered came around the 70 minute when Coutinho had the vision to try and reverse pass from central midfield only for it to be intercepted. Other than that Sturridge wasn't feeding off anything else really.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #3895: Jan 13, 2017 12:06:06 pm
      Sturridge has one poor game in a very rare start against Southampton (as do the whole team BTW) and now he should be nowhere near the first team, should be sold off and is clearly finished. If we judged Bobby Firminho by the same criteria we judged Danny he'd be playing for the under 18's now, or banished back to Brazil. Strange really how one fella can score once in around ten full appearances and be invisible for most of the games without drawing ire, whereas another can come back from injury and generally look sharp, win us the derby etc but if he has one quiet one we put the boot in. I just don't get it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3896: Jan 13, 2017 12:14:46 pm
      Fair enough.

I'll have to disagree with you on this though, from what I've seen in the past Studge hits top form almost immediately and his current run, despite a slight niggle has probably been the longest sustained fitness he's had outside of the nearly season.

In terms of finishers, I'd agree Sturridge is unrivalled at the club, but for overall package I just don't think he brings enough right now and in my opinion pushing Firmino wide for the benefit of either Origi or Sturridge hurts our game much more than it enhances it.

Sorry to pick out just one part, but this nails it for me.

Sturridge is indeed an outstanding finisher, but his overall game is lacking a bit.

I said it moths ago, and I'll say it again; he slows down our play and instead of fluid, we become disjointed.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #3897: Jan 13, 2017 01:33:01 pm
      While i agree that he doesnt offer as much as he used to, you cannot deny that Sturridge is a naturally more clinical finisher than anybody else at the club right now. When u have somebody who can score something from nothing at times, you play him ahead of most other strikers. With forwards its often about instinct and positioning...one of those you cannot teach and he has both.
      I would give him a run in the team every match while he is still fit and let him work on his understanding with his team mates.
      I expect that both Firmino and Danny will do alot better having Coutinho back in the team.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,382 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3898: Jan 13, 2017 01:33:35 pm
      People dismissing Sturridge? Hes the only player bar maybe Coutinho, who with the ball at his feet around the box you feel might score. He gets away some incredible efforts from tight spaces with little back lift.

Yes hes lazy looking etc but will that matter if the other 9 are working hard and hes finishing off chances? Plays all day for me 
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3899: Jan 13, 2017 02:00:05 pm
      Would start him vs Utd. He had a poor game against Saints even taking into account the poor service, when he did get it he was wasteful. But would give him a chance to bounce back, very hard when you're in and out to get into any groove, he appears to be fit, and might benefit from the small show of confidence. He'll get more park to play in, and if Cou starts, he'll get a chance or two. Surely, even by the laws of probability, Danny's due a real performance. Don't think Firmino or Origi are playing to a level right now for it to be clear cut that Studge won't start. Firmino doesn't look like scoring, would not play him through the middle. Origi is an option, and could see Klopp going for him, but I really hope he gives Danny a run. If you don't give him a fair crack, then come end of the season if he's shipped out, can argue we didn't make the most of him EVEN when fit. So hope he starts.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #3900: Jan 13, 2017 11:08:25 pm
      People dismissing Sturridge? Hes the only player bar maybe Coutinho, who with the ball at his feet around the box you feel might score. He gets away some incredible efforts from tight spaces with little back lift.

Yes hes lazy looking etc but will that matter if the other 9 are working hard and hes finishing off chances? Plays all day for me

Why assume he's lazy? Not every player is suited to a high tempo pressing game. It doesn't make them lazy. Many players around the Premier League would not suit his game but it dosen't make them lazy. If you think he's lazy f**k knows what the rest of us are because no one on here would last five minutes in a Klopp side, let alone 90+ minutes! Honestly the lad could single handedly win us the title and some people would still find reason to sh*t on him.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #3901: Jan 15, 2017 01:03:09 pm
      Interesting interview with Danny. Asked if he thought he was injury prone he said define injury prone , no don't think I am said he's played through injury many times , came over as a good kid though no attitude.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #3902: Jan 15, 2017 06:04:10 pm
      I`d be leaving if I was him, it is obvious that Klopp does not rate him and prefer to play with no striker/20year old kid/off form Firmino; he`s great when fit and in the right setup and that`s not Liverpool.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3903: Jan 16, 2017 02:52:44 pm
      Didn't get a look in vs Utd. And though can understand the reasons why Jürgen starts Firmino ahead of Danny (closing down, tackling etc) not sure would agree with the 'extent' to which Studge appears to be excluded from the match days.

Like, we saw some chances fall to Firmino and Gini yesterday, and they were poor attempts from them. Those were half decent chances, made look difficult. With 10 mins to go, why not bring Danny on instead of Bobby, see if he can make something happen, if we really are trying to grab the 3 pts.

What's a pity in my mind is that we don't seem to be giving him the chance to prove himself, even when fit. He gets bit parts, or nothing. So if he leaves in the summer, just think the questions will remain as to whether Studge REALLY is/was up to being a regular starter (when fit) given how little he played (when fit).

Btw - I'm not saying Jürgen is wrong to not start Studge - how could I ... haven't seen enough of him to know. Which is a bit frustrating.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,447 posts | 6433 
      Reply #3904: Jan 16, 2017 03:09:19 pm
      Might as well sell him if we aren't going to play him. Waste of talent even considering his injury issues.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3905: Jan 16, 2017 07:05:28 pm
      Didn't get a look in vs Utd. And though can understand the reasons why Jürgen starts Firmino ahead of Danny (closing down, tackling etc) not sure would agree with the 'extent' to which Studge appears to be excluded from the match days.

Like, we saw some chances fall to Firmino and Gini yesterday, and they were poor attempts from them. Those were half decent chances, made look difficult. With 10 mins to go, why not bring Danny on instead of Bobby, see if he can make something happen, if we really are trying to grab the 3 pts.

What's a pity in my mind is that we don't seem to be giving him the chance to prove himself, even when fit. He gets bit parts, or nothing. So if he leaves in the summer, just think the questions will remain as to whether Studge REALLY is/was up to being a regular starter (when fit) given how little he played (when fit).

Btw - I'm not saying Jürgen is wrong to not start Studge - how could I ... haven't seen enough of him to know. Which is a bit frustrating.

Half those chances came about due to pressing, somethign which Sturridge is not so good at doing, that is why Klopp prefers Firmino and I for one agree 100% with him. After the Plymouth and Southamnpton games, why on earth is everyone clambering for Sturridge to start? He really isn't so good these days.
      Kopite78
      Reply #3906: Jan 16, 2017 07:33:14 pm
      Might as well sell him if we aren't going to play him. Waste of talent even considering his injury issues.

Why would we weaken the squad in the winter window?  We might need him

Just because he's not first choice mean's we sell him and potentially leave us short?

Makes no sense to, the summer theres a high chance he'll go I'd think
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3907: Jan 16, 2017 08:47:07 pm
      Start Origi vs Plymouth, and let Studge loose on Swansea, it'll be biblical ;)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3908: Jan 16, 2017 11:38:40 pm
      Start Origi vs Plymouth, and let Studge loose on Swansea, it'll be biblical ;)

Based on what? Certainly not recent performances.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,912 posts | 6834 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3909: Jan 17, 2017 05:46:51 am

Agreed mate. Think Studge even if he gets a half chance would be more of a chance of sticking it in the back of the net then Firmino and Gini. Would have loved to have seen him on for the last 10.

Quick Reply