Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 506118 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #3749: Nov 23, 2016 01:28:15 pm
      Oh it's great that silly season is nearly here again.

You lot do know the transfer section is now open for discussion on potential ins and outs?
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #3750: Nov 23, 2016 02:57:19 pm
      although he has been playing better recently Lovern is hardly reliable cover at center back; and has been at fault for a lot of our goals conceded.... Van Dijk is a massive step up on Lovern as far as reliability goes...

Could it maybe be a case of Lovren all over again though? One good season at Southampton and Liverpool are hovering over their cheque books?

As I said earlier I just think it's lazy journalism after he played so well against us.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #3751: Nov 23, 2016 02:59:42 pm
      WHAT!!!!!.....Which LFC have you been watching?.... although he has been playing better recently Lovern is hardly reliable cover at center back; and has been at fault for a lot of our goals conceded.... Van Dijk is a massive step up on Lovern as far as reliability goes...
      As for back up, up front I feel Origi offers as much; if not more than Sturrigde, given his fragility and his inability to play the way in which the manager would like him to

No idea who Lovern or Sturrigde is Im afraid........!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #3752: Nov 23, 2016 03:47:29 pm

I'm going to assume you meant to do that?
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #3753: Nov 23, 2016 03:50:32 pm
      Could it maybe be a case of Lovren all over again though? One good season at Southampton and Liverpool are hovering over their cheque books?

As I said earlier I just think it's lazy journalism after he played so well against us.
      Watched  Van Dijk at Celtic, he is a very underrated player
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #3754: Nov 23, 2016 03:53:30 pm
      I'm going to assume you meant to do that?

I can understand getting one players name wrong we all do that now and again but two!

Maybe it's just me but I find it annoying when posters can't spell players names correctly.

A bit like you FL with people who have left wing views  :D

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #3755: Nov 23, 2016 03:55:05 pm
      Thanks HScRed1 ;D start proof reading, f**kin auto correct :mad: :mad: :mad:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3756: Nov 23, 2016 04:23:25 pm
      Thanks HScRed1 ;D start proof reading, f**kin auto correct :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm not part of the grammar police exactly but auto correct is a shoddy excuse for getting our players' names wrong consistently :D.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3757: Nov 23, 2016 08:05:31 pm
      Thanks for that detailed analysis but let me break it down also:

Sakho
      Lovren
      Gomez
      Klavan
      Ilori
      Matip
      Lucas

= 7 centre backs.

We are going to lose Mane in January, our joint top goalscorer.

If Firmino get's injured that's our other top goalscorer.

First team - our 2 top goalscorers + 7 centre backs = Van Dijk?

Out of those 7 CB's only 2 are good, the others are ok'ish so I stand by my point. Regarding Sturridge, he was a great striker but whether you like it or not he quite simply doesn't fit into Klopp's vision of a starting striker, so that being the case why not use him to secure a top class CB then get another striker, remember that we should still have plenty of cash left in the transfer kitty seeing as we spent sod all in the summer.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #3758: Nov 23, 2016 08:32:12 pm
      I'm not part of the grammar police exactly but auto correct is a shoddy excuse for getting our players' names wrong consistently :D.
      Thanks for exposing my falsehood Ash ;D... Had to enter them (the names) incorrectly at some stage in the life of this phone and as I try to type things as fast as I can (which is very slow for everyone else) i often make mistake, leave things out etc, and as I am too lazy to proof read and rely on the auto correct too often, well you get what you get  ;D
      « Last Edit: Nov 24, 2016 10:38:04 am by The Real Donavan Ried »
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #3759: Nov 24, 2016 09:45:23 am
      Out of those 7 CB's only 2 are good, the others are ok'ish so I stand by my point. Regarding Sturridge, he was a great striker but whether you like it or not he quite simply doesn't fit into Klopp's vision of a starting striker, so that being the case why not use him to secure a top class CB then get another striker, remember that we should still have plenty of cash left in the transfer kitty seeing as we spent sod all in the summer.

It doesn't matter what you think of our CB's, it's what Klopp thinks of them. He kept hold of Lucas for a reason, he also signed Klavan. Lovren and Matip are no brainers. That's 4 first team centre backs that Klopp thinks are good enough.

What the future holds for Sakho, Gomez and Ilori we will have to see.

Either way we are still paying the wages of 7 centre backs so I can't see how Van Dijk could be a priority.

Also why is this a story now? Do you not think our huge network of scouts and Klopp might of identified Van Dijk as a target in the summer? And sold Sturridge then?

This is paper talk at best.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3760: Nov 24, 2016 10:55:54 am
      It doesn't matter what you think of our CB's, it's what Klopp thinks of them. He kept hold of Lucas for a reason, he also signed Klavan. Lovren and Matip are no brainers. That's 4 first team centre backs that Klopp thinks are good enough.

What the future holds for Sakho, Gomez and Ilori we will have to see.

Either way we are still paying the wages of 7 centre backs so I can't see how Van Dijk could be a priority.

Also why is this a story now? Do you not think our huge network of scouts and Klopp might of identified Van Dijk as a target in the summer? And sold Sturridge then?

This is paper talk at best.

Oh come on, Van Dijk is clearly better than all our CB's with the possible exception of Matip and Lovren so he would be a big boost to the defence if we could get him. Losing Sturridge on the other hand would not be a major loss even without replacing him. Anyway its all opinions but will be interesting to see what happens.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #3761: Nov 24, 2016 04:46:33 pm
      Losing Sturridge on the other hand would not be a major loss even without replacing him. Anyway its all opinions but will be interesting to see what happens.

The glaringly obvious issue with all of this is what makes you think Sturridge would move to Southampton?

If for some reason we did decide to sell him in January do you not think all the top clubs would go for him? He's still a top striker. He'd do the business for most top European teams.

Also Sturridge earns double what any Southampton player earns.

It's not going to happen.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #3762: Nov 26, 2016 11:38:32 am
      Still made of glass it seems...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-striker-daniel-sturridge-miss-12233926

Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge to miss Sunderland game with calf injury
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #3763: Nov 26, 2016 11:49:08 am
      I can understand getting one players name wrong we all do that now and again but two!

Maybe it's just me but I find it annoying when posters can't spell players names correctly.

A bit like you FL with people who have left wing views  :D

I was more talking about you correcting his spelling then leaving out the ' in I'm. ;)
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #3764: Nov 26, 2016 05:03:07 pm
      I bet whatever niggle he had today, anyone else would play!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3765: Nov 26, 2016 10:08:42 pm
      Did he do his calf in training?

Hope he gets back soon. Now's your chance Danny Boy.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #3766: Nov 27, 2016 03:05:07 pm
      From BBC Sport:

Striker Daniel Sturridge did not feature in the game on Saturday after reporting tightness in his calf and he did not train on Sunday.

Is this guy for real?  :mad: Absolutely no desire to put on a Reds shirt.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #3767: Nov 27, 2016 03:09:02 pm
      From BBC Sport:

Is this guy for real?  :mad: Absolutely no desire to put on a Reds shirt.

After all the injuries he's had, can you really blame him?  A light strain could be 1-2 weeks, but if he aggregates it and makes it worse it could be 2-3 months.  Need to trust the players to know if they are fit. 

Get well soon Danny boy!!  We will need you to step up in Phil's absence....
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3768: Nov 27, 2016 07:29:37 pm

Absolutely. He has chance now to get a run in the side. Could be doing with Danny out there with a point to prove...
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #3769: Nov 28, 2016 12:42:31 am
      After all the injuries he's had, can you really blame him?  A light strain could be 1-2 weeks, but if he aggregates it and makes it worse it could be 2-3 months.  Need to trust the players to know if they are fit. 

Get well soon Danny boy!!  We will need you to step up in Phil's absence....

This is my point. Its getting to the stage now where if he "feels" he may get injured he cant play, as opposed to being injured and cant play. Its ok having this quality in the team, but not being able to use this quality is what is leaving him out of the team, and why we would do well to get £27 million for him.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #3770: Nov 28, 2016 09:26:04 am
      Lallana and Coutinho are out at the minute.

Still reckon we should swap him for Van Dijk?  :roll:
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #3771: Nov 28, 2016 10:42:11 am
      Lallana and Coutinho are out at the minute.

Still reckon we should swap him for Van Dijk?  :roll:

No. If we are in the CL and more cups next season, he could be an invaluable squad member (if he accepts the role that is), a bit like what Dzeko was for City!

Quick Reply