Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Champions League] Sat 1st Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Estadio Metropolitano, Madrid

Today is the 27th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D2 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Daniel Sturridge Player Thread

Read 296629 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #4425: Sep 29, 2017 06:46:14 am
      I think the system in it's current execution would fall on it's arse when, as you rightly say, Mane doesn't play, but in my opinion (never said it's a fact) also when Firmino doesn't play. Defensively, it also comes a bit short when one of our first eleven #8's is missing (Lallana, Wijnaldum) because as we saw, Can just isn't up to the required standard and has been a liability. That's one of the main worries / criticisms I have with Klopp now. Our first eleven is nearly finished to play Klopp's style, but the alternatives aren't yet what they're supposed to be and when we have injuries to key players, we look a different team.
      I didn't mean to and it was never my intention to do so. My sincerest apologies if I did come across like that.

I can't really add too much to this Danzel, because I basically agree with it - if you get my drift. I honestly believe we'd lose the industry and workload from Firmino which obviously does prop up our attacking quintet in a roundabout way. However, what you'd lose in work-rate I think could essentially be replaced with guile, movement and goals if a proper striker were in situ. You would lose that energy and press, but the press only seems to be optimised against bigger teams anyway, who aren't afraid to come out a bit and have a go. Sure, it would therefore change the dynamic but look at United's game in Moscow for example compared to ours and there's the difference IMO. And no, I'm not advocating a player like Lukaku as I don't really like big cumbersome forwards personally, but your Sturridge, Jesus & Aguero types definitely.

Never said he was. I said we could improve on him and even mentioned some players who are more #9's / more clinical than he is and that would be a massive improvement on Firmino in the current system. It's not only about the dropping deep, it's about everything else he offers. Not too many players around who can offer close to the same in terms of workrate and link up play and still be clinical in front of goal. I'd swap Firmino for Jesus or Dybala straight away for example.

First and last time I saw that Jesus (the Citeh one right?), was when we got mauled by them this season. And yes, I'd swap him in a heartbeat to. Cracking looking little player and that is the ilk IMHO we need. But going back to what Firmino brings, yes we know he brings work rate and helps his team mates out with assists, but the other day you implied rightly that strikers are generally selfish and play for themselves but wrongly offer little else other than goals.

Mick posted these stats, here is the top three goal scorers in the league currently, look at their assists:

Sergio Agüero
      Man City
      78 mins per goal
      467 mins played
      6 Goals scored
      3 Assists

Álvaro Morata Chelsea
      76 mins per goal
      457 mins played
      6Goals scored
      2 Assists

Romelu Lukaku Man Utd
      90 mins per goal
      540 mins played
      6 Goals scored
      1 Assists

Now look at Firmino:

Roberto FirminoLiverpool
      230 mins per goal
      460 mins played
      2 Goals scored
      2 Assists

Even Jesus, who hasn't an assist to his name has got himself 4 goals in less minutes than Firmino, the same as Harry Kane:

Gabriel Jesus Man City
      82 mins per goal
      327 mins played
      4 Goals scored
      0 Assists

Frankly, his output isn't really comparable, especially when you consider the 'attack' he is part of. He hasn't got more assists than the top 3 strikers, and he hasn't got the goals either.

Yes and both Sterling and Suarez (and the Sturridge from that season, you can't compare him to the current one) are perfect players for our system and I'd have both of them here in a heartbeat (if Sterling hadn't been such a c**t of course). I'm not against someone more clinical than Firmino or more 'striker' than Firmino. Not at all. I'm just looking for someone who fits the current formation / system rather than bringing in Lukaku for example and having to switch our style of play.

I wouldn't bring in Lukaku either Danzel. Even though Sturridge isn't quite the same 'player' he was back then, people wrongly believe his pace is the be all and end all to his game. It isn't. Strikers don't need the pace many believe they need you look at players like Rush, Linekar, Shearer, or even Sheringham etc. They were never speed merchants, and even Owen in his later years lost that burst of pace that was initially key to his game, but he was able to modify his game somewhat because (he) strikers still have the instinct, movement, awareness and the ability to finish to carry a considerable threat.

Given that Jürgen hasn't gotten rid of Sturridge and seems for now to be putting a little bit of faith in him, at least by keeping him on at the club, then he may as well give Sturridge (who is a proven quality goalscorer) the time (especially when Firmino isn't on top of his own game), the opportunity to re-modify his game and gather an understanding with players like Mane and Salah.

For me, it's worth a go. Nothing gained noting lost. But it's pretty much sacrilege around here nowadays for calling out Firmino, and discussing the option of Sturridge in the team because some petty people are more worried about their 'face' on this forum than the team they support. And as such, people are hounded and abused for opinions that go against the grain that the circle of friends on here have tried to push.

I agree (for the biggest part), which is why I'm completely in favour of Sturridge getting game time in this kind of games and why I also expect him to start this weekend against Newcastle.

Ha didn't see this. Well yes, we agree but then I honestly doubt Sturridge will start against Newcastle - that's my problem with this. I think Jürgen will revert to his trusted front three and include Firmino, who to me, seems to be one of the only players who doesn't get rotated in and out the team, for good or bad. And I personally, see it as a wasted opportunity in not trying Sturridge' He's happy to rotate the defence and midfield to the point of becoming dizzy but when it comes to a misfiring forward, who really isn't a forward and a misfiring creator the status quo remains, and I find that frustrating.

Well yes, he is being played more as a #10 in our system already anyway and as you suggest, I don't think he'd do bad in the #8 role for us either with him having been even a defender early on in his career. My only worry there is that he tends to be a bit wasteful in posession from time to time.

Good point about the possession that is noticeable.

Of course there is more than one way to skin a cat and I do not 'strictly adhere to what Klopp does here'. What I try to do is think in terms of what he's looking for and how he plays / sees the game rather than wanting him to do something that doesn't fit or wanting him to be someone who he's not. I have been critical of Klopp before and I have been dumbfounded by some of his decisions. I do not have an agenda, never will have.

I understand how you think, that you want to understand what he's looking for. Fair enough. We all watch the game and contrary to some recent claims on here are therefore privy to the display we see come matchday. So, when I see that something isn't working, where you're trying to understand what he's looking to do; I look, or think to myself 'what is the alternative', sometimes alternatives aren't needed where time will fix it, but generally I look to see what can be improved upon, if for example a Plan A: Mane-Firmino-Salah, isn't working properly or tuned right at a specific point in time I think try the more 'regressive-old fashioned-English (heaven forbid!)- orthodox' approach and stick a striker back into the middle of that.

Anyway, nice chatting with you, it makes a nice change to converse with someone who is open to others' views, without trying to shut them down as being 'this or that'.
      « Last Edit: Sep 29, 2017 11:40:33 am by Beerbelly »
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #4426: Oct 01, 2017 06:28:11 pm
      Sturridge's fans really need to take a long hard look at this game to accept that the lad is nothing more than an impact sub now.
      Couldn't even beat the offside trap.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,453 posts | 3029 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4427: Oct 01, 2017 06:39:51 pm
      Yep as much as I love Danny, he should never start a game again. Impact sub only, he looks like he's lost his mojo completely.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,225 posts | 65 
      Reply #4428: Oct 01, 2017 06:48:30 pm
      Didn't take his chance, time for Solanke to start ahead of him.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,928 posts | 814 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4429: Oct 01, 2017 07:38:23 pm
      So frustrating.
      On the one hand, he hasn't had nearly the crack of the whip Firmino's had, so am tempted to say what do you expect, he's not been given the chance to reach proper sharpness. He can't feel he has the confidence of the manager, and must feel like every time he goes out, he's trying to prove himself.
      On the other hand, he's had chances that I'd expect him to take at least one of, and when not taking chances, he's not contributing as much as the others, his build up play is OK, but he's too easily pushed off the ball, his pace is waning, and he doesn't close down.
      If his MO is that he's the best finisher, needs to take some of those chances.

Will cough up one excuse for him today, was very little space out there, and ....
      Nah ...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,077 posts | 2766 
      Reply #4430: Oct 01, 2017 07:50:13 pm
      No excuse for him today, he was garbage.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,493 posts | 2999 
      Reply #4431: Oct 01, 2017 08:07:12 pm
      Completely slows down the play and when he can't even keep hold of the ball what's the point.

So sad to see a lethal player now playing with lead in his boots.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,477 posts | 168 
      Reply #4432: Oct 01, 2017 08:28:42 pm
      Time to cash in
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,670 posts | 749 
      Reply #4433: Oct 01, 2017 09:00:23 pm
      He's finished at the top level unfortunately. Might get some use out of him from the bench this season but in the summer he's got to go and a proper number 9 has to come in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,761 posts | 3409 
      Reply #4434: Oct 01, 2017 10:03:40 pm
      Injuries derailed him. Shouldn't really be surprised...when we bought him it wasn't like he hadn't struggled to stay healthy.

He'll never hit his top form again. But for some reason we didn't bring in a replacement or shop him around.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,066 posts | 1752 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4435: Oct 01, 2017 10:10:11 pm
      Interesting to see the stats (yes can't believe i have used that word) but danny has scored 15 pl goals as a sub only 2 behind the likes of solskaer in the all time list of substitute goal scorers in the pl.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,756 posts | 2678 
      Reply #4436: Oct 01, 2017 11:05:07 pm
      Starting days are behind him & should be used as an impact sub..
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,963 posts | 502 
      Reply #4437: Oct 01, 2017 11:07:42 pm
      Sturridge's fans really need to take a long hard look at this game to accept that the lad is nothing more than an impact sub now.
      Couldn't even beat the offside trap.

You mean Liverpool fans? I mean, that would include you no?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,296 posts | 3554 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4438: Oct 02, 2017 12:07:05 am
      Can't see him having much of a career left, certainly not at the highest level. Could see him going off to Italy or the MLS to be honest.

He looked like a regular guy off the street today, except I think a regular guy would have played with more effort. He looks slow, his touch is off, passing non-existent, shooting terrible and generally abysmal. 

This was his chance to prove his doubters and Klopp wrong over his role in the team and he let himself and us down massively.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,413 posts | 1183 
      Reply #4439: Oct 02, 2017 10:59:15 am
      Need to cash in on Stu while he has some value left.

He is not the striker we need anymore unfortunately.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 468 
      Reply #4440: Oct 07, 2017 08:21:27 am
      He's finished at the top level unfortunately. Might get some use out of him from the bench this season but in the summer he's got to go and a proper number 9 has to come in.
      Sadly & unfortunately this is very true mate,his best days are behind him & as many have said countless times,injuries over the years have caught up with Danny.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,416 posts | 591 
      Reply #4441: Oct 07, 2017 08:26:27 am
      Been saying it for two years now. Should of cashed in before summer transfer ended. Funny how many fans can see it but managers/owners can't. You'll lose out when you sell him now. How much will he fetch??
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,809 posts | 2266 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4442: Oct 07, 2017 09:28:06 am
      Been saying it for two years now. Should of cashed in before summer transfer ended. Funny how many fans can see it but managers/owners can't. You'll lose out when you sell him now. How much will he fetch??

Who would buy him? An injury prone striker who will want at least what... 70k a week minimum. Doesn't add up.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,536 posts | 1824 
      Reply #4443: Oct 07, 2017 09:59:14 am
      Who would buy him? An injury prone striker who will want at least what... 70k a week minimum. Doesn't add up.

Oh I still think you can offload him for a decent fee to a West Brom, West Ham type of team, he might even do ok there. 
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,416 posts | 591 
      Reply #4444: Oct 07, 2017 10:26:58 am
      Oh I still think you can offload him for a decent fee to a West Brom, West Ham type of team, he might even do ok there. 

How on Earth could he do ok there when he's lame as a crow? Unless that's your saleman's angle  ;D
      ORCHARD RED
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,125 posts | 1326 
      • 5 Times!
      Reply #4445: Oct 07, 2017 11:31:26 am
      Sturridge doesn't get a run of games, of course he's going to go backwards. For his own sake he needs to move.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,493 posts | 2999 
      Reply #4446: Oct 07, 2017 11:48:53 am
      Sturridge doesn't get a run of games, of course he's going to go backwards. For his own sake he needs to move.

Not getting a run of games makes him play like a pensioner? How does that work.

The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 948 
      Reply #4447: Oct 07, 2017 02:21:42 pm
      Sad things is Daniel just does not have the legs anymore to be a top class player for Liverpool FC...Of course if he plays he is going to score here and there,he still has the instincts, and desire, but he no longer has the legs.Yes injuries have taken their toll... Watching him play now reminds me of watching Stevie G in the last two seasons of his career...

Unfortunately we (LFC) held on to Sturridge two seasons too long, Klopp,Liverpool the supporters and Sturridge need to understand this and move on... 
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,809 posts | 2266 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4448: Oct 07, 2017 02:49:55 pm

If we ever got 10m for him I'd be shocked.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,428 posts | 2272 
      Reply #4449: Oct 07, 2017 06:07:39 pm
      Sad things is Daniel just does not have the legs anymore to be a top class player for Liverpool FC...Of course if he plays he is going to score here and there,he still has the instincts, and desire, but he no longer has the legs.Yes injuries have taken their toll... Watching him play now reminds me of watching Stevie G in the last two seasons of his career...

Unfortunately we (LFC) held on to Sturridge two seasons too long, Klopp,Liverpool the supporters and Sturridge need to understand this and move on...

You don't half talk some sh*te.

Sturridge has bulked up a fair bit, and his body is still adapting, simple as that.
      A blind man can see how much bigger he is.

A far cry from a Gerrard approaching his mid 30's who had adductor problems and subsequent infections (also in his foot) that meant he actually had muscle and bone removed and was unable to properly extend when running.
      « Last Edit: Oct 07, 2017 06:12:24 pm by Swab »

Quick Reply