Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 494071 times
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #4577: May 12, 2018 12:42:27 pm
      He's had chances, but few and far between. We've gone through his record before. At the time, he was on better form than Firmino, but hardly getting a look in because Klopp had his favourites, and Sturridge had effectively been kicked out when Klopp arrived.

It's turned out pretty well for Klopp since then because of the form of Salah - which has been incredible! Salah actually made Firmino look decent. So, in hindsight, Klopp has got it right in that his system has worked well - and arguably better than if Sturridge was playing.

The move to West Brom was incredibly unfortunate. Injury struck again, and it must raise questions now if there is ever a way back into football for Danny. But the point made above re. Ings is absolutely true, and demonstrates the clear bias amongst Liverpool fans.

The saddest thing about the fans treatment of Danny is the pretence that Suarez did everything in that 13/14 season, and Danny was a passenger - when in reality Danny was absolutely huge for us that season.  :roll:
      RedWilly

• 9,183 posts | 1634 
      Reply #4578: May 14, 2018 12:47:09 am
      He's had chances, but few and far between. We've gone through his record before. At the time, he was on better form than Firmino, but hardly getting a look in because Klopp had his favourites, and Sturridge had effectively been kicked out when Klopp arrived.

It's turned out pretty well for Klopp since then because of the form of Salah - which has been incredible! Salah actually made Firmino look decent. So, in hindsight, Klopp has got it right in that his system has worked well - and arguably better than if Sturridge was playing.

The move to West Brom was incredibly unfortunate. Injury struck again, and it must raise questions now if there is ever a way back into football for Danny. But the point made above re. Ings is absolutely true, and demonstrates the clear bias amongst Liverpool fans.

The saddest thing about the fans treatment of Danny is the pretence that Suarez did everything in that 13/14 season, and Danny was a passenger - when in reality Danny was absolutely huge for us that season.  :roll:

Crock of sh*t as always from you. Everyone has recognized the role Danny played that season, but once Suarez went he seemed to drop off, perhaps due to injuries or lack of serious competition, who knows. Suarez elevated the whole team, including Danny.

Well done on taking a long winded road to admit that perhaps JĆ¼rgen does know better than you though! Given what heā€™s done with Mo, imagine what he could do with Victor Moses!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4579: May 14, 2018 12:57:16 am

None of what you said is true, no matter how hard you try to delude yourself into believing it did. Even insinuating that Salah's form is a cover and an excuse for errors only YOU perceive JĆ¼rgen to have made, makes this a truly pathetic post, even by your incredibly low standards.
      « Last Edit: May 14, 2018 01:40:46 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      RedWilly

• 9,183 posts | 1634 
      Reply #4580: May 14, 2018 01:01:36 am
      None of what you said is true, no matter how hard you try to delude yourself into believing it did. Even insinuating that Salah's form covered is a cover and an excuse for errors only YOU perceive JĆ¼rgen to have made, makes this a truly pathetic post, even by your incredibly low standards.

Also is it worth pointing out his weird dismissal of Bobby, who only looks good because of Mo :D

But Danny didnā€™t look any better for playing alongside Suarez apparently :D

Never seen a forum member post such consistent tripe and thereā€™s been some bad ones over the years.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4581: May 14, 2018 01:42:01 am
      Also is it worth pointing out his weird dismissal of Bobby, who only looks good because of Mo :D

But Danny didnā€™t look any better for playing alongside Suarez apparently :D

Never seen a forum member post such consistent tripe and thereā€™s been some bad ones over the years.

Too flabbergasted to mention that to be honest. Utter sh*te
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4582: May 14, 2018 02:02:04 am
      Do I think a fully fit Sturridge would do better than Ings and Solanke? Yeah. But I don't ever think he'd be fit.

I still find his decision to take a loan move to West Brom incomprehensible.

Stunk of a lack of ambition and you kind of felt he was throwing the towel in.   

The bong smoking Roller driving free loader.

Bye Bye  Au Revoir   Auf Weidersehn  Adios.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #4583: May 14, 2018 09:58:29 am
      Do I think a fully fit Sturridge would do better than Ings and Solanke? Yeah. But I don't ever think he'd be fit. I still find his decision to take a loan move to West Brom incomprehensible. Stunk of a lack of ambition and you kind of felt he was throwing the towel in.

No, at least Ings and Solanke are hardworking players who don't make a fuss and sulk when they are on the bench. Sturridge is also a very selfish player, so i'd rather let him go for free if we can't get a transfer fee for him in the summer.
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #4584: May 14, 2018 11:46:56 am
      None of what you said is true, no matter how hard you try to delude yourself into believing it did. Even insinuating that Salah's form is a cover and an excuse for errors only YOU perceive JĆ¼rgen to have made, makes this a truly pathetic post, even by your incredibly low standards.

My post only nears pathetic when it is followed by your drivel.

Firmino is not a striker by any means, and his problem was his inconsistency in front of goal. That largely remains - but fortunately it has been shadowed by Salah's brilliance.
      Kopite78
      Reply #4585: May 14, 2018 11:48:39 am

Firmino is not a striker by any means, and his problem was his inconsistency in front of goal. That largely remains - but fortunately it has been shadowed by Salah's brilliance.

Qualify shadowed by Salahs brilliance Please?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #4586: May 14, 2018 11:49:41 am

Jaysus man.

That whole post reads like a traumatic brain injury  :mad:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4587: May 14, 2018 12:04:31 pm

Firmino is probably the most suited player to Klopp's style that will ever exist.
      CL - 10 Goals and 8 Assists in 12 games.
      PL - 15 Goals and 7 Assists.
      Defensively - 65 tackles. 24 blocked shots. 18 interceptions.
      He's had a fantastic season. Only overshadowed by a stellar season from Salah.

And to keep it on topic, there is no way Sturridge would have anything like those numbers,
      which is why he wasn't in the team, and he probably moved out on loan because he's looking to get a move to another team.
      If he can ever stay injury free, which looks unlikely.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #4588: May 14, 2018 12:18:13 pm

Firmino 'may not be a striker' but he's scored 27 times this season, more than Sturridge has ever achieved in a campaign.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #4589: May 14, 2018 12:24:44 pm
      Firmino 'may not be a striker' but he's scored 27 times this season, more than Sturridge has ever achieved in a campaign.

Canā€™t believe weā€™re even debating this. Firmino is F***ing class, super F***ing fit and a proper team player.

I love Sturridge, I genuinely think his finishing is of a world class standard. Some of those tight angled goals heā€™s scored is breathtaking. Such a F***ing shame his body lets him down time and again. He is literally made of glass and will retire soon
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #4590: May 14, 2018 12:29:18 pm
      Firmino is probably the most suited player to Klopp's style that will ever exist.
      CL - 10 Goals and 8 Assists in 12 games.
      PL - 15 Goals and 7 Assists.
      Defensively - 65 tackles. 24 blocked shots. 18 interceptions.
      He's had a fantastic season. Only overshadowed by a stellar season from Salah.

And to keep it on topic, there is no way Sturridge would have anything like those numbers,
      which is why he wasn't in the team, and he probably moved out on loan because he's looking to get a move to another team.
      If he can ever stay injury free, which looks unlikely.

Agree with most of that, as that was in essence what my own post said :)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #4591: May 14, 2018 12:31:37 pm

Thierry Henry......

ā€œRoberto Firmino is THE MOST COMPLETE striker in the leagueā€

Thierry or DanMann........you decide?!
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #4592: May 14, 2018 01:57:02 pm
       :lmao:

What does that even mean?  ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #4593: May 14, 2018 02:00:34 pm

It means your opinion falls on it's face. Unless you are Didier Drogba or Ronaldo (the fat one) ,etc......
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #4594: May 14, 2018 02:09:18 pm

If youā€™re meaning my post Dan it means (very, very simply) that you shouldnā€™t let personal bias (in this case that Studge should always play and hasnā€™t had a fair crack of whip blah blah blah) drive supporting theories that make you look buck mental (ā€œFirmino is not a striker.....inconsistenc y in front of goals......etcā€).

There isnā€™t a team in the top 4 in any league in Europe that wouldnā€™t bite your arm of to get Bobby IF we put him up for transfer.......

Studge ended up at relegated West Brom......you can do the math.

* I feel sorry for Studge heā€™s been unlucky with injury.....but we cannot rely on him - even if he fitted the system (which he has not proved).
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4595: May 14, 2018 02:14:48 pm
      Agree with most of that, as that was in essence what my own post said :)

But your posts suggests that it was merely by chance that Sturridge was not featuring in the team,
      and unlucky that he got injured at WBA.

Maybe the intensity Klopp looks for in a forward was something Sturridge couldn't provide.
      Yes he was excellent alongside Suarez, and not just because of Suarez.
      They were on fire that season, but he has subsequently been ravaged by injury and even now would
      be considered a risk. For the last 2 or 3 season's now the argument had been
      "If Sturridge can stay fit he'll be sensational"
      only for the thing to fall apart when he picked up another season.

Instead Klopp has secured CL qualification and a Final on the back of 3 forwards that gave him a
      reliable platform to build on. Again, something Sturridge can no longer provide.
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #4596: May 14, 2018 02:21:23 pm

I think you got it backwards when it comes to Firmino and Salah. A key reason Mo has done so well this season, and reached a level not expected by anyone, is because of Firmino, who works his ass off every game making runs shifting the defense out of position and opening space for Salah (and Mane) to run into. Salah is able to hang around playing off the defender's shoulder waiting for a ball because Firmino is the one doing the hard work chasing down the opposition's player getting the ball back.

Firmino is one of the world' best #9, and perhaps the best one at the moment. 27gls and 14 assists between the CL and PL, how many can better that and have his work rate?
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #4597: May 14, 2018 02:49:29 pm
      Good discussion lads, though I fear we'll be taking this topic too far astray if we continue.

My only closing remark would be that Henry evidently continued his comments with "I'm not talking about the best finisher or the best work rate, I'm talking about all round. Most complete in the league". So essentially, Henry acknowledges what I've said in that Firmino is not a great finisher. That to me is what a Striker should be able to do. Fine, he works hard. He runs a lot. Yes, you can see he's good in various areas (which is perhaps what Henry means by "complete" striker) - but he's not got the Striker's touch (albeit he can on occasion score a classy goal).

So yes, Salah has pulled us forward, and I fear we may rely on him again next season to do it all. If we were to bring in a top class Striker (one who scores goals - as opposed to one who runs a lot) that would be much preferred.

Firmino missed a couple of simple chances against Brighton - but he did run a lot I guess.

Bringing it back to Danny, sure thing his injuries have gone off the scale and that is the simple reason why he failed at West Brom. The guy needs a lucky break, but even I don't see how he will get it now. On his day, a much more "complete" striker than Firmino ;) but his day may never come. Hindsight showed that Klopp was right to move him on - but not perhaps for those reasons.

I'll leave it there and read your responses in good humour.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #4598: May 14, 2018 03:00:38 pm
      Good discussion lads, though I fear we'll be taking this topic too far astray if we continue.

My only closing remark would be that Henry evidently continued his comments with "I'm not talking about the best finisher or the best work rate, I'm talking about all round. Most complete in the league". So essentially, Henry acknowledges what I've said in that Firmino is not a great finisher. That to me is what a Striker should be able to do. Fine, he works hard. He runs a lot. Yes, you can see he's good in various areas (which is perhaps what Henry means by "complete" striker) - but he's not got the Striker's touch (albeit he can on occasion score a classy goal).

So yes, Salah has pulled us forward, and I fear we may rely on him again next season to do it all. If we were to bring in a top class Striker (one who scores goals - as opposed to one who runs a lot) that would be much preferred.

Firmino missed a couple of simple chances against Brighton - but he did run a lot I guess.

Bringing it back to Danny, sure thing his injuries have gone off the scale and that is the simple reason why he failed at West Brom. The guy needs a lucky break, but even I don't see how he will get it now. On his day, a much more "complete" striker than Firmino ;) but his day may never come. Hindsight showed that Klopp was right to move him on - but not perhaps for those reasons.

I'll leave it there and read your responses in good humour.
      Hmm.

So my question to you is, if Sturridge had stayed fit and Firmino had been injured for the full season, would we as a club have been better off? By that, I mean would we have finished 4th on 75 points and reached a champions league final with Sturridge leading the line?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #4599: May 14, 2018 11:01:59 pm
      If youā€™re meaning my post Dan it means (very, very simply) that you shouldnā€™t let personal bias (in this case that Studge should always play and hasnā€™t had a fair crack of whip blah blah blah) drive supporting theories that make you look buck mental (ā€œFirmino is not a striker.....inconsistenc y in front of goals......etcā€).

There isnā€™t a team in the top 4 in any league in Europe that wouldnā€™t bite your arm of to get Bobby IF we put him up for transfer.......

Studge ended up at relegated West Brom......you can do the math.

* I feel sorry for Studge heā€™s been unlucky with injury.....but we cannot rely on him - even if he fitted the system (which he has not proved).
      Reality setting in...??

Quick Reply