Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 491384 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #4600: Jun 03, 2018 05:37:13 pm
      He will go down in History as a player who never got close to his potential. If he was fit he would still get in most sides purely on his goal scoring ability.
      Sadly we all know its not going to happen for him at Liverpool.
      Calixto
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #4601: Jun 05, 2018 07:18:49 pm
      I love Sturridge and I don't think any of our fans would disagree that on his day, he is a top, top quality striker who all of us would love to have in the team. The thing is, his 'day' comes few and far between as injuries have sadly taken their toll. Every time he would return from a lay off I'd be the first to talk the naysayers down when they said "Watch him limp off in the warm up!" - I really wanted to believe that this time, it would be different.

Alas, each time they were proved right and Danny Boy would end up with another lengthy lay off.

It seems clear that Sturridge is not one of Jürgen's favourites but even then, I would've loved to have him as an option to come off the bench - even now, I would have loved to have had Sturridge on the bench in the Champion's League Final over Solanke - he can literally change a game with a moment of impetuous brilliance.

Moving forward, my heart would still want him as an option for the upcoming season and the chance to have a good pre season, stay fit and see if his body can hold out, but I know that now, is probably the right time to say goodbye.

Will always have a soft spot for him and wish he could have fulfilled his potential with us though!

YNWA
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4602: Jun 09, 2018 11:28:29 pm
      He will go down in History as a player who never got close to his potential. If he was fit he would still get in most sides purely on his goal scoring ability.
      Sadly we all know its not going to happen for him at Liverpool.

lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #4603: Jun 09, 2018 11:45:57 pm
      Still think half fit Sturbridge better as sub then ings and couple more not good enough just pity he not fit enough anymore he near fhish as top footballer
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4604: Jun 10, 2018 08:07:55 am
      He's brilliant but has lost almost everything through his injury-prone.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #4605: Jun 10, 2018 10:40:03 am
      Closest thing iv seen since fowler in terms of natural finishing.

Gutted it didn't work out because he could have gone down as one of our greats if he was able to keep fit.

I don't even think about him any more when it comes to squad selection, I've almost forgotten he's here.

Time for everybody to move on.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #4606: Jun 18, 2018 08:02:20 pm
      Stu heading out the door for £15 million hopefully.

Shame he's made of glass but he's stealing a living here for far too long.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4607: Jun 19, 2018 12:01:51 am

Someone willing to pay £15m for him, Wow!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4608: Jun 19, 2018 01:06:06 am

Thought he was out of contract this summer, just checked and it's next year.

I honestly can't see anyone paying £15 million for Sturridge, he'll end up on loan at another team next season.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #4609: Jun 19, 2018 01:27:13 am
      Thought he was out of contract this summer, just checked and it's next year.

I honestly can't see anyone paying £15 million for Sturridge, he'll end up on loan at another team next season.

Someone will, because there'll be a team that thinks can help him healthy and rip the benefits of his ability.

We got 28M for Sakho and 30M for Benteke even though everyone knew Klopp did not have use for them leaving us with little leverage other than "we won't sell them for cheap". We'll get the 15M for Sturridge.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4610: Jun 19, 2018 01:31:59 am
      Someone will, because there'll be a team that thinks can help him healthy and rip the benefits of his ability.

We got 28M for Sakho and 30M for Benteke even though everyone knew Klopp did not have use for them leaving us with little leverage other than "we won't sell them for cheap". We'll get the 15M for Sturridge.

With his injury record? I doubt it, plus teams will know he's in his last season of his contract, they'll hold off & take him on loan, then take him on a free in a season, saving themselves £15 million!!

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4611: Jun 19, 2018 10:04:27 am
      With his injury record? I doubt it, plus teams will know he's in his last season of his contract, they'll hold off & take him on loan, then take him on a free in a season, saving themselves £15 million!!

As long as we get him off the wage bill it will be ok but I suspect we'll have to pay for him one more year!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4612: Jun 19, 2018 12:03:58 pm
      Firmino is not a striker by any means, and his problem was his inconsistency in front of goal. 

Have you missed your meds lad ?
      Think you're off your head .

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4613: Jun 19, 2018 12:05:59 pm

..... but he's stealing a living here for far too long.

Is right.
      More games missed than played.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #4614: Jun 19, 2018 01:00:31 pm
      It seems clear that Sturridge is not one of Jürgen's favourites

Choose not to quote everything you said,as I could not find fault with any of it, even The Solanke /CL bit, but just wanted to add my two pence worth....

In Hindsight i don't think that it was about Klopp not viewing Sturridge as one of his favorites; I believe it was more of a case that he could not rely on Sturridge's fitness.
                                                                             I believe that Klopp knew the quality Danny possessed, and that's the reason he kept him around so long. When coming back from and injury it took D.S time to regain match fitness and sharpness, but all to often just has he was getting there he would have another injury.
                                                                                                                                  Klopp knew how fragile he that he could be. I felt that he tried to persevere with him and towards the early part of last season he realize that he had to move him on... 
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #4615: Jun 19, 2018 01:06:14 pm
      Someone willing to pay £15m for him, Wow!
      It's pennies these days to to desperate clubs wanting to stay in the Premier League, (WBA took him on loan) and if that club can keep him fit even if it means playing him every three game then he would be a absolute steal for them
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #4616: Jun 19, 2018 01:19:46 pm
      You have Cardiff City, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fulham who have all just been promoted and will all struggle to sign top talent... They are not looking to win things(Although it would not go amiss) Their goal is to stay in the Promised Land (PL) this season and I believe if that means buying £15m, and  trying to fix any injury problems and fitness issues even if it means keeping him and not playing him until they feel they need too i.e. the last 7 or 8 games as an insurance policy thus securing Premier League survival then someone will take that chance on his quality and goal scoring ability
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4617: Jun 19, 2018 02:04:35 pm
      As long as we get him off the wage bill it will be ok but I suspect we'll have to pay for him one more year!

Pretty much what I'm thinking.

You have Cardiff City, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fulham who have all just been promoted and will all struggle to sign top talent... They are not looking to win things(Although it would not go amiss) Their goal is to stay in the Promised Land (PL) this season and I believe if that means buying £15m, and  trying to fix any injury problems and fitness issues even if it means keeping him and not playing him until they feel they need too i.e. the last 7 or 8 games as an insurance policy thus securing Premier League survival then someone will take that chance on his quality and goal scoring ability

Wolves have Pedro Mendes working with their owner, if they need a striker, they'll find an even cheaper European option, fact!!
      Fulham play a lot like us, so I think you'll find Sturridge would struggle in their team. Which leaves Colin w**ker's Cardiff, that could be an option, but I doubt any team will spend £15 million on him no matter how much you use bolded words :laugh: they play their cards right, wait until window closes, which is before the season starts this year, then offer to take him on loan and pay a percentage of his wage.

Kopite78
      Reply #4618: Jun 19, 2018 02:40:29 pm
      It's pennies these days to to desperate clubs wanting to stay in the Premier League, (WBA took him on loan) and if that club can keep him fit even if it means playing him every three game then he would be a absolute steal for them

If he could get on the pitch yeah

Your 15m. Plus his 8m wages. A signing on fee. An agent fee.

So upwards of 30m for Sturridge a year and the body of evidence show he gets on the pitch about 10 games a season over the last 3 years

No chance anyone takes that on. It will be a loan with us subsidising some of his wage I'd imagine 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4619: Jun 19, 2018 08:02:15 pm

Didn't quite work out for West Brom did it :-)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4620: Jun 19, 2018 10:20:36 pm
      for the lower league teams fighting for survival goal scorers are rarer than hens teeth so someone will take him.
      What a shame this lad never got to the level his ability demanded . I think Jürgen thinks he just doesn't have the balls for the fight
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4621: Jun 19, 2018 10:59:05 pm
      for the lower league teams fighting for survival goal scorers are rarer than hens teeth so someone will take him.
      What a shame this lad never got to the level his ability demanded . I think Jürgen thinks he just doesn't have the balls for the fight

I think Sturridge's  attitude and ego has also as much to do with it as anything as far as Jürgen is concerned.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4622: Jun 20, 2018 10:59:32 am
      I think Sturridge's  attitude and ego has also as much to do with it as anything as far as Jürgen is concerned.

Interested to know how you're so sure he has a bad attitude?

For me it's more a case that Danny just doesn't quite fit into how Jürgen wants the team to play alongside his injury record that results in his lack of games.

Quick Reply