Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 491561 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #4646: Jul 19, 2018 02:41:33 pm
      What if Sturridge could be used as a more attacking midfielder and was able to reinvent himself there? I know he's injury prone, but who knows...might be just what he needs. Would be great for us and him if he could find himself excelling in a new role.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4647: Jul 19, 2018 11:05:25 pm
      If I wasn't certain Danny will get injured again at some point this season, I'd love to keep him. Unfortunately money needs to be freed up for Fekir (hopefully), so he'll need moved on.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #4648: Jul 19, 2018 11:07:47 pm
      Sturridge belongs here with us.

We need him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #4649: Jul 19, 2018 11:53:09 pm
      Looked dangerous again, one thing he hadn’t lost is his touch and close control. Just needs to stay fit.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4650: Jul 19, 2018 11:55:41 pm
      Looked dangerous again, one thing he hadn’t lost is his touch and close control. Just needs to stay fit.

Yep. I think I want him to stay if Fekir doesn't happen.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #4651: Jul 20, 2018 12:44:46 am
      Yep. I think I want him to stay if Fekir doesn't happen.

If the lad could keep himself fit for 4-5 months I've no doubt he would be useful, particularly off the bench. I think the only way to look as Studge is to expect the worse ie. the next injury and treat any meaningful contribution as a bonus.

What if Sturridge could be used as a more attacking midfielder and was able to reinvent himself there? I know he's injury prone, but who knows...might be just what he needs. Would be great for us and him if he could find himself excelling in a new role.

I don't think he would like the extra contact he would see playing in that area mate, he has pretty much avoided the physical side of the game for a good few years now. If you watch him closely notice that he doesn't ever make tackles. He will close the ball down to a degree but he doesn't ever pull the trigger and try to win it back. For that reason alone I don't think we'll seem him in an AMF role anytime soon.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #4652: Jul 20, 2018 07:41:06 am
      If the lad could keep himself fit for 4-5 months I've no doubt he would be useful, particularly off the bench. I think the only way to look as Studge is to expect the worse ie. the next injury and treat any meaningful contribution as a bonus.

I don't think he would like the extra contact he would see playing in that area mate, he has pretty much avoided the physical side of the game for a good few years now. If you watch him closely notice that he doesn't ever make tackles. He will close the ball down to a degree but he doesn't ever pull the trigger and try to win it back. For that reason alone I don't think we'll seem him in an AMF role anytime soon.

Yep, it'd be more likely that Sturridge would lead the line and Firmino (or Shaqiri if Firmino is being rested) play the #10 in a 4-2-3-1 if we (hopefully!!) transition to that formation against teams that totally park the bus.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #4653: Jul 20, 2018 11:30:30 am
      Noticed last couple of games how deep Danny is dropping I wonder if he is remodelling his game to effectively cover for Firmino?
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #4654: Jul 20, 2018 08:02:19 pm
      Noticed last couple of games how deep Danny is dropping I wonder if he is remodelling his game to effectively cover for Firmino?

Arguably still a dangerous striker, trust him more the Night solankie, origi, and ings

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4655: Jul 20, 2018 08:47:02 pm
      Sturridge last season with us.
      I think we should keep him here for now.
      If we are still in FA and League cup in January, keep him till his contract ends.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #4656: Jul 20, 2018 09:48:21 pm
      Sturridge has world class ability so it'd be amazing for us if he somehow manages to stay relatively healthy.

Could potentially see us using 4-2-3-1 at times:

Keita - Fabinno
      Salah - Firmino - Mane
      Sturridge

Firmino i believe played a couple games in CAM position last season and then Sturridge would provide the quality finishing.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4657: Jul 20, 2018 10:15:17 pm
      Don't do this again to us studge, building our hopes up
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #4658: Jul 20, 2018 10:40:18 pm
      IF he stays healthy than playing a 4-2-3-1 makes a lot of sense and we would have a bit of depth in that rotation with Studge and Shaquiri giving the other boys the occasional rest. Can Naby play on one of the wings in a pinch? If so that’s just more depth we can use for FA and league cup games and Hendo and Fabinho could play further back and allow the FBs to get forward to help the front 4
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #4659: Jul 20, 2018 11:01:22 pm
      IF he stays healthy than playing a 4-2-3-1 makes a lot of sense and we would have a bit of depth in that rotation with Studge and Shaquiri giving the other boys the occasional rest. Can Naby play on one of the wings in a pinch? If so that’s just more depth we can use for FA and league cup games and Hendo and Fabinho could play further back and allow the FBs to get forward to help the front 4

Sturridge will be starting imo a handful of PL games but more likely zero.
      Why.......because he won’t press from the front, that is something Klopp will not deviate from, well ok maybe for one player and that player will be Salah.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #4660: Jul 21, 2018 10:52:18 pm
      Why.......because he won’t press from the front, that is something Klopp will not deviate from, well ok maybe for one player and that player will be Salah.

Salah presses.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #4661: Jul 22, 2018 01:25:28 am
      IF Studge stays, and IF we keep him and the current front 3 (Salah - Mane - Bobby) all fit for the entire campaign, THEN WE WILL WIN THE LEAGUE.  Simple 😎
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4662: Jul 22, 2018 01:33:55 am

This...

and then check out Bobby's stats in his player thread for most tackles in the League.

Studge doesn't cut it unless passes are laid on a plate for him.
      His pace has gone and due to injury has lost his edge.
      His medical history was there for all to see before we bought him in a cut price deal.

He has cost this club some serious money in missed appearances etc.
      He still has to be considered to be wrapped in cotton wool and his playing time limited/ managed in case he pulls up.

Not worth it.
      Has anyone come in with a serious offer for him?

Not to our knowledge.

I don't know why we're even bothering talking about a man who if he stays will be injured before Halloween, waste of time. I've given up on him a long time ago.

« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2018 01:42:33 am by MIRO »
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #4663: Jul 22, 2018 08:50:55 am
      Just have to look at anything Studge can bring to the table as a bonus. As a player he is u sellable because of his injury record and prohibitive contract so any move away will be a loan deal with LFC subsidises the wages. He has looked sharp again this pre season but he often does in these types of games where everything is half-paced. A few have remarked about how deep he comes to collect the ball but he has also been doing this for a quite. While now having remodelled his game after so many injuries. I still think he can be useful coming off the bench against lesser opposition at Anfield but the chances of him staying fit are so slim.

The fact we are getting a little bit enthusiastic about his pre season form really just highlights the lack of quality backup to Firmino. Solanke, Ings and origi could all go for me. None of them is up to he mark.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #4664: Jul 23, 2018 08:41:56 pm
      Daniel Sturridge: Liverpool feels like home again

"I'm enjoying myself and enjoying my football. I can't ask for any more."

The words of Daniel Sturridge will come as music to Liverpool fans’ ears.

After spending the second half of last season away from the club as the Reds narrowly missed out on Champions League glory, the striker is back.

Back and in brilliant form, on and off the pitch.

“I love it here. I love the lads and the banter in the group is unbelievable. I feel at home again,” he tells Liverpoolfc.com at the team hotel in Charlotte, the day after he impressed again in the International Champions Cup meeting with Borussia Dortmund.

Sturridge speaks with a smile that seems to have grown increasingly since returning for pre-season training on July 2.

Each appearance so far this summer has provided a glimpse of the No.15’s natural ability to influence a game. “The second half without Daniel would have looked completely different,” said Jürgen Klopp on Sunday.

His role is evidently changing, too, with greater emphasis – self-imposed – on dropping deep to fashion as well as finish goalscoring chances.

“I’m probably just doing more. It’s important for me to try to get involved,” he explains.

“Playing on the shoulder is what I like to do but it’s also important to come and get involved and get in and around the opposition’s No.6. It’s adding more strings to my bow and giving the manager more options if he needs to play me deeper.

“But wherever I play, it doesn’t matter – it’s just important to get the minutes.”

It’s an evolution that has occurred naturally rather than on instruction.

“It has just happened. I think I’ve always been capable of doing that but I’ve always been on the shoulder, so I haven’t done it as often as I am now,” adds Sturridge.

“But it doesn’t matter where I play or which role I’m in, as long as I’m out there and pushing myself to my limits. The minutes are important in pre-season, putting your best foot forward and working as hard as you can.”

While Liverpool were reaching the heights of the Champions League final in the last months of the season, Sturridge’s loan switch to West Bromwich Albion did not work out as hoped.

The 28-year-old played only six games for the Baggies as they suffered relegation from the Premier League.

Understandably, the experience has sharpened the Englishman’s desire to come back and be part of Klopp’s project. And he returns with greater appreciation for its nuances.

“It was important for me to get my head in the right place and evolve as a person. I had things that I needed to sort out with my family and things like that,” he says.

“I’m just happy to be back and to push myself and be part of the group again.

“When I went away I learned too. That’s also a good thing. When you’re not involved in the environment you learn a lot about yourself, the team, watching from afar and seeing how the team are playing. You can learn more when you’re outside the environment.

“I learned a lot watching the games the boys were playing in and also being away and being in a different team’s environment and seeing how they work too.”

Sturridge’s pre-season form, coupled with the late returns of the Reds’ World Cup participants, could present the striker with an opportunity.

The Premier League campaign gets under way in three weeks’ time and claims can be staked for a place in Klopp’s starting XI against West Ham United at Anfield.

But the man himself is not getting hung up on specifics. His is a long-term plan.

“My ambition is to train hard and work hard in pre-season,” Sturridge concludes.

“There are a lot of running sessions and a lot more pre-season games to go. And there’s no pressure. There are a lot of games during the season so it’s about giving your all when you get your minutes.

“I’m not putting any pressure on myself or the management or my teammates. It’s about enjoying myself. I’m part of an unbelievable group, we have a chance to be successful this season. Everybody is pulling together and being part of that unity – being together as one and trying to make this team successful – is what it’s all about.

“We want to win trophies and we want to be successful. It starts now and it’s a long season.

“It doesn’t matter whether you play the first game or the 50th game – as long as you’re involved in the journey that’s all that matters

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #4665: Jul 23, 2018 08:42:10 pm
      One of the things I'd love to see most this season is that big smile back with the regular dance after scoring.

Still a quality player and I hope he can stay fit.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4666: Jul 23, 2018 08:57:53 pm
      One of the things I'd love to see most this season is that big smile back with the regular dance after scoring.

Still a quality player and I hope he can stay fit.

Let's hope so. Like yourself I adore the guy but last season and then the sad sight of him going to a desperate West Brom side managed by Alan Pardew kind of spelt the end for him in my eyes.

But his form in pre season isn't an illusion. He really does look a hell of a lot more fitter and energetic than before. If he can force his way back into first team plans, even as a bench option, then it will be one hell of a turnaround.

As a striker he must be, one of, if not the most technically gifted English striker I have ever seen. Rarely does he score the same goal twice and the skill and touch he has is absolutely sublime. The decision to sign him back in January 2013 was inspired and maybe (just maybe) we can still continue benefitting from that decision.
      « Last Edit: Jul 23, 2018 09:49:56 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4667: Jul 23, 2018 09:13:55 pm
      Fingers crossed, he stays fit. If and a big if, he will be a great option for us. Come on Daniel.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #4668: Jul 23, 2018 09:17:12 pm
      Let's hope so. Like yourself I adore the guy but last season and then the sad sight of him going to a desperate West Brom side managed by Alan Pardew.

His form in pre season isn't an illusion. He really does look a hell of a lot more fitter and energetic than before. If he can force his way back into first team plans, even as a bench option, then it will be one hell of a turnaround.

As a striker he must be, one of, if not the most technically gifted English striker I have ever seen. Rarely does he score the same goal twice and the skill and touch he has is absolutely sublime. The decision to sign him back in January 2013 was inspired and maybe (just maybe) we can still continue benefitting from that decision.

Would love it, too, mate.

I'd love him to surprise me but I just can't see him being fit, for long, at all. The lad's made of glass.

Quick Reply