Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

How Will the Signing of Sturridge Change Team

Read 11591 times
      davepolo
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 382 posts | -1 
      • taught English by AZ, grAmmEr schooL fAiLure
      How Will the Signing of Sturridge Change Team
      Jan 02, 2013 05:38:39 pm
      Will signing Sturridge change the shape of Brendan's Team or just improve goal power maybe a set up like this
      Reina
      Johnson Agger Srktel Enrique
      Lucas Allen
      Gerrard
      Sterling Sturridge Suarez
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2013 10:24:24 pm by JD »
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Re: How Will the Signing of Sturridge Change Team
      Reply #1: Jan 02, 2013 05:49:04 pm
       I think the front 3 will look more like this:

Sturridge  Suarez  Sterling

which at games can take this shape:

Suarez   Sturridge  Sterling

or even this one:

Sterling   Sturridge   Suarez.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #2: Jan 02, 2013 05:51:12 pm
      He'll play in a fluid front three with Luis and one other.

The big change he should and hopefully will make is give us another goal threat which we have sorely missed.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Jan 02, 2013 05:54:15 pm
      I don't think the setup will change. 

The main difference for me will be when Luis goes wide, Sturridge will go into the middle, something that Raheem doesn't do often enough.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4: Jan 02, 2013 05:57:46 pm
      Tactically I don't think it will change us much. He'll hopefully do something Downing and Sterling are supposed to be doing, which includes scoring goals.

As a natural striker, Daniel will be willing to get into the box and score goals which is something we badly need at the moment: more bodies in goalscoring positions, and hopefully some finishing accuracy as well.

I love the idea of having a fluid front three as well. Versatility can only be a good thing if used properly. Suarez is an outstanding talent and is scoring a lot of goals but there's more to come from him if he has better partners upfront. He's always on the move, dropping deep to get the ball or moving to the wings, which tends to open up space for wingers. Hopefully Sturridge will take full advantage of that.
      davepolo
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 382 posts | -1 
      • taught English by AZ, grAmmEr schooL fAiLure
      Reply #5: Jan 02, 2013 06:01:09 pm
      I have a good feeling about Sturridge think he might be a key player, likes scoring and very direct.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #6: Jan 02, 2013 06:02:13 pm
      I don't think the setup will change. 

The main difference for me will be when Luis goes wide, Sturridge will go into the middle, something that Raheem doesn't do often enough.

This and given the fact that Borini should be back very soon just gives the manager more options and give Luis a bit of breathing space.

Luis should be given the golden donkey award for the way he has carried the club the past several months.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #7: Jan 02, 2013 06:24:22 pm
      How will the signing change the team?

More Threat
      More Pace
      More Options
      More Goals
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Jan 02, 2013 06:25:21 pm
       Hopefully the signing of Sturridge will make a big change to our goal difference,I also think it will give Luiz Suarez more freedom up front and the opposition will not be able to put 2 or 3 men on Luiz.If they do it will be to their detriment and our enjoyment,finally I hope Sturridge has a long and successfull career at Anfield and settles in quick.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #9: Jan 02, 2013 06:27:11 pm
      One thing this will allow us to do is play with two up front if necessary.  Brendan has shown that he is willing to tweak his formation/tactics if and when necessary - think back to the Everton and Chelsea games.  Rodgers flirted with using 3 CB's, and I believe that when he did that we played with a 5-3-2 formation in the 2nd half against Everton.  Sterling was deployed as one of the two strikers and we tried to use his pace to get in behind the opposition's defense.  Obviously, Sturridge will be much better suited to playing that type of role for us, and he will also be able to play anywhere across the front 3 in Rodger's preferred 4-3-3 formation.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Jan 02, 2013 06:32:55 pm
      I think he will come out with all guns blazing,hope a few years down the track we can look back on this lad as one of our heroes.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #11: Jan 02, 2013 06:34:11 pm
      Fluidity is the key word to how it will change..

Thats the key to Brendans formation, the three of them up the top probably wont have "set positions" so to speak..They may well set up like this..

Sterling Suarez Sturridge

But all through the games it will swap with all three being able to play any of those positions.. Sterling he will want to be comfortable through the middle as well, it will make it even harder for opposition cbs to pick Luis up if he has free reign to go left right and central.. Thats why a signing like Sturridge makes so much sense, he is also flexible in terms of position, quick to keep up with the other two..
      Borini and Downing can also ply up there, Ince as well if he joins... All of a sudden we have options and players to fit the system..

Time to deliver now we have the tools to do so..

How will the signing change the team?

More Threat
      More Pace
      More Options
      More Goals

And this....
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: Jan 02, 2013 06:37:59 pm
      Interchangeable front 3.
      Borini Suarez Sturridge.
      Now with added goals.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #13: Jan 02, 2013 06:39:59 pm
      Not saying he won't Billy, but you know better than anyone that this is Liverpool and to get in the team you are gonna have to earn it. I don't believe he is the answer to our prayers (we need a few more signings yet) and too much pressure should not be put on the lad straight away, thats all.
      I totally agree with you about him having to earn his place in the team as should apply to any player.After the fickle crowd and owner at Chelsea I think he should be able to handle any pressure thrown at him.cheers.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #14: Jan 02, 2013 08:07:36 pm
      I think a front 3 of Borini, Suarez and Sturridge will be a F***ing nightmare for any opposition.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #15: Jan 02, 2013 08:43:04 pm
      I suspect he will play on the right of a front 3 for 80% of the time. He'll start upfront when suarez is in the side and (as has already been suggested) he will also play uptop with suarez if a match situation dictates it.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #16: Jan 02, 2013 08:43:07 pm
      Don't think itll change much differently, just add more of a threat for us, which is good! Also gives us a good chance to maybe put Suarez on the outside cause in a few games he can look a bit lost in the centre. Also should give Borini, Downing + Sterling more motivation to play better as theyre places will be under threat.

Not a GREAT player who could help in a title race or something but certainly will help us!
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #17: Jan 02, 2013 08:47:55 pm
      Also gives us a good chance to maybe put Suarez on the outside cause in a few games he can look a bit lost in the centre.

Lost?????

I thought you must be talking about the 2 centre-halves trying to mark him!
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #18: Jan 02, 2013 09:44:22 pm
      Let's be honest the lad knows where the goal is so it's going to give the opposition something extra to think about, as someone said above they will not be able to commit all of their back line to Suarez and if they do then all the better because we now have a man who knows where the goal is.

Can't wait to see the front three attacking the box from all angles, it's all looking very promising.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #19: Jan 02, 2013 09:56:00 pm
      Downing is playing for his place, at the moment Daniel needs to earn his place. For me, it is not guaranteed.

Both Downing and Sterling will battle him. Good competition for places. ANd we need not to forget Borini when he is fit.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #20: Jan 02, 2013 10:35:35 pm
      He should get us those few goals that we normally don't score , you know those ones that tend to hit the woodwork or fly up in the air never to be seen again .
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #21: Jan 02, 2013 11:12:06 pm
      Downing is playing for his place, at the moment Daniel needs to earn his place. For me, it is not guaranteed.

Both Downing and Sterling will battle him. Good competition for places. ANd we need not to forget Borini when he is fit.

Downing has been outstanding for me in the last couple of games ,Sturridge Sterling and Suso rotation or maybe drop Suarez in the Hendo roll and Sturridge last man .................either way at the end of the day we dont have to look forward to Borini coming back!!!
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #22: Jan 03, 2013 02:22:17 am
      More pace and goal threat hopefully - and someone more likely to attack some of the crosses that we put into the box.

Quick Reply