Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

How Will the Signing of Sturridge Change Team

Read 11596 times
      davepolo
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 382 posts | -1 
      • taught English by AZ, grAmmEr schooL fAiLure
      How Will the Signing of Sturridge Change Team
      Jan 02, 2013 05:38:39 pm
      Will signing Sturridge change the shape of Brendan's Team or just improve goal power maybe a set up like this
      Reina
      Johnson Agger Srktel Enrique
      Lucas Allen
      Gerrard
      Sterling Sturridge Suarez
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2013 10:24:24 pm by JD »
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Re: How Will the Signing of Sturridge Change Team
      Reply #1: Jan 02, 2013 05:49:04 pm
       I think the front 3 will look more like this:

Sturridge  Suarez  Sterling

which at games can take this shape:

Suarez   Sturridge  Sterling

or even this one:

Sterling   Sturridge   Suarez.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #2: Jan 02, 2013 05:51:12 pm
      He'll play in a fluid front three with Luis and one other.

The big change he should and hopefully will make is give us another goal threat which we have sorely missed.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Jan 02, 2013 05:54:15 pm
      I don't think the setup will change. 

The main difference for me will be when Luis goes wide, Sturridge will go into the middle, something that Raheem doesn't do often enough.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4: Jan 02, 2013 05:57:46 pm
      Tactically I don't think it will change us much. He'll hopefully do something Downing and Sterling are supposed to be doing, which includes scoring goals.

As a natural striker, Daniel will be willing to get into the box and score goals which is something we badly need at the moment: more bodies in goalscoring positions, and hopefully some finishing accuracy as well.

I love the idea of having a fluid front three as well. Versatility can only be a good thing if used properly. Suarez is an outstanding talent and is scoring a lot of goals but there's more to come from him if he has better partners upfront. He's always on the move, dropping deep to get the ball or moving to the wings, which tends to open up space for wingers. Hopefully Sturridge will take full advantage of that.
      davepolo
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 382 posts | -1 
      • taught English by AZ, grAmmEr schooL fAiLure
      Reply #5: Jan 02, 2013 06:01:09 pm
      I have a good feeling about Sturridge think he might be a key player, likes scoring and very direct.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #6: Jan 02, 2013 06:02:13 pm
      I don't think the setup will change. 

The main difference for me will be when Luis goes wide, Sturridge will go into the middle, something that Raheem doesn't do often enough.

This and given the fact that Borini should be back very soon just gives the manager more options and give Luis a bit of breathing space.

Luis should be given the golden donkey award for the way he has carried the club the past several months.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #7: Jan 02, 2013 06:24:22 pm
      How will the signing change the team?

More Threat
      More Pace
      More Options
      More Goals
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Jan 02, 2013 06:25:21 pm
       Hopefully the signing of Sturridge will make a big change to our goal difference,I also think it will give Luiz Suarez more freedom up front and the opposition will not be able to put 2 or 3 men on Luiz.If they do it will be to their detriment and our enjoyment,finally I hope Sturridge has a long and successfull career at Anfield and settles in quick.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #9: Jan 02, 2013 06:27:11 pm
      One thing this will allow us to do is play with two up front if necessary.  Brendan has shown that he is willing to tweak his formation/tactics if and when necessary - think back to the Everton and Chelsea games.  Rodgers flirted with using 3 CB's, and I believe that when he did that we played with a 5-3-2 formation in the 2nd half against Everton.  Sterling was deployed as one of the two strikers and we tried to use his pace to get in behind the opposition's defense.  Obviously, Sturridge will be much better suited to playing that type of role for us, and he will also be able to play anywhere across the front 3 in Rodger's preferred 4-3-3 formation.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Jan 02, 2013 06:32:55 pm
      I think he will come out with all guns blazing,hope a few years down the track we can look back on this lad as one of our heroes.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #11: Jan 02, 2013 06:34:11 pm
      Fluidity is the key word to how it will change..

Thats the key to Brendans formation, the three of them up the top probably wont have "set positions" so to speak..They may well set up like this..

Sterling Suarez Sturridge

But all through the games it will swap with all three being able to play any of those positions.. Sterling he will want to be comfortable through the middle as well, it will make it even harder for opposition cbs to pick Luis up if he has free reign to go left right and central.. Thats why a signing like Sturridge makes so much sense, he is also flexible in terms of position, quick to keep up with the other two..
      Borini and Downing can also ply up there, Ince as well if he joins... All of a sudden we have options and players to fit the system..

Time to deliver now we have the tools to do so..

How will the signing change the team?

More Threat
      More Pace
      More Options
      More Goals

And this....
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: Jan 02, 2013 06:37:59 pm
      Interchangeable front 3.
      Borini Suarez Sturridge.
      Now with added goals.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #13: Jan 02, 2013 06:39:59 pm
      Not saying he won't Billy, but you know better than anyone that this is Liverpool and to get in the team you are gonna have to earn it. I don't believe he is the answer to our prayers (we need a few more signings yet) and too much pressure should not be put on the lad straight away, thats all.
      I totally agree with you about him having to earn his place in the team as should apply to any player.After the fickle crowd and owner at Chelsea I think he should be able to handle any pressure thrown at him.cheers.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #14: Jan 02, 2013 08:07:36 pm
      I think a front 3 of Borini, Suarez and Sturridge will be a F***ing nightmare for any opposition.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #15: Jan 02, 2013 08:43:04 pm
      I suspect he will play on the right of a front 3 for 80% of the time. He'll start upfront when suarez is in the side and (as has already been suggested) he will also play uptop with suarez if a match situation dictates it.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #16: Jan 02, 2013 08:43:07 pm
      Don't think itll change much differently, just add more of a threat for us, which is good! Also gives us a good chance to maybe put Suarez on the outside cause in a few games he can look a bit lost in the centre. Also should give Borini, Downing + Sterling more motivation to play better as theyre places will be under threat.

Not a GREAT player who could help in a title race or something but certainly will help us!
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #17: Jan 02, 2013 08:47:55 pm
      Also gives us a good chance to maybe put Suarez on the outside cause in a few games he can look a bit lost in the centre.

Lost?????

I thought you must be talking about the 2 centre-halves trying to mark him!
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #18: Jan 02, 2013 09:44:22 pm
      Let's be honest the lad knows where the goal is so it's going to give the opposition something extra to think about, as someone said above they will not be able to commit all of their back line to Suarez and if they do then all the better because we now have a man who knows where the goal is.

Can't wait to see the front three attacking the box from all angles, it's all looking very promising.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #19: Jan 02, 2013 09:56:00 pm
      Downing is playing for his place, at the moment Daniel needs to earn his place. For me, it is not guaranteed.

Both Downing and Sterling will battle him. Good competition for places. ANd we need not to forget Borini when he is fit.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #20: Jan 02, 2013 10:35:35 pm
      He should get us those few goals that we normally don't score , you know those ones that tend to hit the woodwork or fly up in the air never to be seen again .
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #21: Jan 02, 2013 11:12:06 pm
      Downing is playing for his place, at the moment Daniel needs to earn his place. For me, it is not guaranteed.

Both Downing and Sterling will battle him. Good competition for places. ANd we need not to forget Borini when he is fit.

Downing has been outstanding for me in the last couple of games ,Sturridge Sterling and Suso rotation or maybe drop Suarez in the Hendo roll and Sturridge last man .................either way at the end of the day we dont have to look forward to Borini coming back!!!
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #22: Jan 03, 2013 02:22:17 am
      More pace and goal threat hopefully - and someone more likely to attack some of the crosses that we put into the box.
      nohockeynoproblem
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #23: Jan 03, 2013 02:52:24 am
      I think that he will create a ton more space for Suarez and get on the end of the odd cross, have we scored a single goal from a cross this season?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #24: Jan 03, 2013 03:31:37 am
      Obviously, it's going to be dependent on where Sturridge plays. That's going to be the first thing that needs to be considered. Right now, Luis Suarez has been nothing short of brilliant playing central, and although I advocated him playing on the right early in the season, I'm not sure that's the wisest thing to do at the moment.

So my guess is Sturridge will come to play on the right starting out, but that might change depending on matchups and if Luis can continue his influence if he's shifted to wide.

What I think we'll see is something that looks a bit like this:

I think the key thing to look for here^ are the diagonal runs into the box from the wide areas. I'll think we'll begin to see this a bit more with Sturridge in the side and Sterling or Borini in particular on the left.

Basically, with how Luis plays, drifting into space and dropping deep to draw the CBs, these diagonal runs should enable the WFs to slip into that space behind the back line. Borini's run vs Man United was a great example of that, and Sturridge was doing that quite a bit in AVB's 4-3-3 at Chelsea when he was played on the right.

In a way, it's kind of the in vogue phrase "false nine" if Luis continues playing central. He drifts a lot and creates space. The WFs will have to capitalize on that space. Meanwhile, Suarez will carry on playing like he has this season, albeit with a bigger goal threat playing alongside him.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #25: Jan 03, 2013 07:59:00 am
      More options for BR at the main striker position and even more when Borini returns and more goals and assists.
      I would have preferred Walcott, but Sturridge can do a good job too and I suspect him and Gerrard to form some incredible partnership based on Gerrard recent form and his wonderful passes. I'm happy with Sturridge's arrival as long as it means that Downing is no more a starter(not Sterling).

I'd like to see this soon:

Suarez          Borini           Sturridge
                         Hendo/Shelvey/Suso
                  Lucas           Gerrard
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #26: Jan 03, 2013 08:27:33 am
      4-3-3 with Lucas sitting deep with Stevie alongside. Luis I think stays in the middle but plays more as a #10 like he did today and against QPR. Sterling was in front of him a lot today and Luis was dropping deep to receive the ball. I think that continues and Sturridge should flourish
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #27: Jan 03, 2013 09:05:18 am
      The interchange of positions between Suarez, Borrini/Sterling and Sturridge will be exciting and will be a nighmare to defenders. Is Sturridge any good wih headers. If so, he'll form another kind of threat.
      Redtrader
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | 29 
      Reply #28: Jan 03, 2013 09:35:44 am
      Given that the quality of the EPL overall is weak this year, or competitive, whichever way you look at it. I expect the goals that Sturridge provides will give us a genuine chance at fourth. If we continue to play with the same pace, urgency and directness of the last two games, then I'm confident Sturridge will get us a goal every other game. IMHO the premier league is more about pace and power, unfortunately, than technical ability, and having Sturridge will mean for the first time in years we have this as a group, Sterling, Suarez, Sturridge, backed up by Gerrard/Hendo/Shelvey/Downing/Enrique/Johnson, none of who are slouches.

I look over at the Mancs, and over the past few years their defence and midfield has been average, but they attack with pace and as a group and it gets them out of trouble. We should now be able to do the same.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #29: Jan 03, 2013 10:04:35 am
      Should at last take some defenders  off Luis ....... and what does that mean ?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #30: Jan 03, 2013 10:10:56 am
      Should at last take some defenders  off Luis ....... and what does that mean ?

More nutmegs! ;D
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #31: Jan 03, 2013 01:41:27 pm
      4-3-3 with Lucas sitting deep with Stevie alongside. Luis I think stays in the middle but plays more as a #10 like he did today and against QPR. Sterling was in front of him a lot today and Luis was dropping deep to receive the ball. I think that continues and Sturridge should flourish
      Like this one mate :)

Or as I always said I think Suarez can offer more if he has a top quality clinical finisher alongside him so I still think it's possible to see Sterridge lead the attacking three through the center. Sterridge also better heading the ball so play him CF offer more attacking option (despite BR football is emphasis play on the ground but I'm still see a lot crosses into the box).

What I want to see most is Suarez play as SS or CAM with clinical finisher in front of him. I believe he still can score goals not matter what position he play. But he's best creator for us this time.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #32: Jan 03, 2013 08:45:02 pm
      Sturridge    Gerrard    Sterling

Suarez

or

Downing/Ince?    Suarez    Sterling

Sturridge

or

RM     Gerrard    Lucas    Sterling

Sturridge     Suarez

One of these I reckon depending if we buy attacking options in January. Hoping for the first one myself
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #33: Jan 03, 2013 09:01:05 pm
      We'll have 3 S's at the top of the pitch, where they'll play in that front 3 is anyone's guess, but it will be fluid and ever changing.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #34: Jan 03, 2013 09:03:46 pm
      I think his biggest attribute is out and out pace. He's not an out and out goalscorer, he's got a good all round game and hopefully he can develop that further with us.

My only concern is that he's a selfish player, whether that's a natural trait or a trait he developed due to circumstance while at Chelsea, we'll just have to find out.

I wouldn't say i'm overly excited by his signing but i can honestly say i'm happy. It will generate competition and hopefully give some other players a F***ing massive kick up the arse.

He's not a nailed on starter but i think the combination of Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge is a frightening prospect for any opponent.

The 'S-Express' so to speak.

Frightening potential, but at the moment that's all it is, potential.

He's talked the talk in his presser, now it's time to walk the walk.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #35: Jan 03, 2013 09:20:00 pm
      He'll help us, that's for sure. And hopefully add lots of goals too.

One thing I think he will help is defenders doubling on Suarez, and Sterling. Because of Sterling's pace down one flank, defenders can sometimes move slightly more to that side of the pitch to try combat this. Now with Sturridge's pace the other wing, opposition defences will have to stay wider as the threat of pace is now on both wings, thus creating more space for Suarez and letting Sterling attack full backs more. It should be the same for Sturridge with Sterling's pace stopping defenders doubling up on Sturridge.

He should allow us to switch formations more freely too.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #36: Jan 03, 2013 09:36:49 pm
      This is in The Times.

Rodgers: "I think Daniel's best position will be through the middle with his pace. I spoke with Luis at length about this a number of times. This has been in the plan for a few months. When Suarez played at Ajax he played in behind as a No 10 in between the lines. Suarez also played as a reverse winger from the left side so he wasn’t quite out wide, he was tucked in round the corner. Wherever Suarez plays, he will make the same movements and he will find the space because he is a world-class player."
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      Reply #37: Jan 03, 2013 09:59:58 pm
      This is in The Times.

Rodgers: "I think Daniel's best position will be through the middle with his pace. I spoke with Luis at length about this a number of times. This has been in the plan for a few months. When Suarez played at Ajax he played in behind as a No 10 in between the lines. Suarez also played as a reverse winger from the left side so he wasn’t quite out wide, he was tucked in round the corner. Wherever Suarez plays, he will make the same movements and he will find the space because he is a world-class player."

This is very insteresting. Does it mean

A) Suarez will be played as the front 1 in a 3 man midfield? Or
      B) That our front 3 is gonna be moving around the attacking front in absolutely unpredictable ways wrecking havoc and scorching the earth around defenders, burning down mormon cathedrals and slaying humongous sheep-eating flying jellyfish while a naked BR plays enormous war drums from the bench?

I'm thinking option B
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #38: Jan 03, 2013 10:12:46 pm

B) That our front 3 is gonna be moving around the attacking front in absolutely unpredictable ways wrecking havoc and scorching the earth around defenders, burning down mormon cathedrals and slaying humongous sheep-eating flying jellyfish while a naked BR plays enormous war drums from the bench?

I'm thinking option B

Can't disagree, I have to think  it was option B, BR would do nothing to hinder Luis.

Let's face it Steven is the Captain but it's Luis's team make no mistake about that, everything that BR does with Sturridge will be to enhance Luis's overall game.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #39: Jan 03, 2013 10:13:55 pm
      B) That our front 3 is gonna be moving around the attacking front in absolutely unpredictable ways wrecking havoc

Hope it's this to be honest.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #40: Jan 03, 2013 10:19:04 pm
      I wouldn't even tinker with Luis position at the moment, or ask him to do anything differently.

He is unplayable at the moment, when even risk upsetting that?
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #41: Jan 03, 2013 10:38:23 pm

This please!
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      Reply #42: Jan 03, 2013 11:45:20 pm
      I wouldn't even tinker with Luis position at the moment, or ask him to do anything differently.

He is unplayable at the moment, when even risk upsetting that?

For the team's benefit I'd rather have Suarez and Sturridge scoring 25 goals together than Suarez scoring 23 and Sturridge 1.

But I agree on the "if it ain't broken but rather working F***ing well don't fix it" idea.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #43: Jan 03, 2013 11:53:10 pm
      There is every possibility that Brendan will play Sturridge through the middle as wherever Suarez plays he will be dangerous so no problem starting him in one of the wide positions.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #44: Jan 04, 2013 12:06:23 am
      For the team's benefit I'd rather have Suarez and Sturridge scoring 25 goals together than Suarez scoring 23 and Sturridge 1.

So would I or else we'd lose a goal !!!  :lmao:
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #45: Jan 04, 2013 12:10:35 am
      So, effectively, while we aren't able to buy a so-called top class number 10, Suarez will play that role? Slightly surprised, have to say. With Suarez in such good form, why fix it if its not broken? Maybe Brendan isn't telling us everything with those comments.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #46: Jan 04, 2013 12:29:23 am
      I think he will give us more options, interchange with Suarez and hopefully be in the box when we need him. I expect him to start wide right , but after a few games I can see him becoming the central striker with Suarez playing a free role all across the front line.

The sad thing is I don't really see him as a clinical striker but someone who gets in good positions, gets himself a lot of chances....but misses quite a few. I suppose at the end of the day it is how many goals he scores, rather than how many chances he misses that counts.... we will see!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #47: Jan 04, 2013 12:46:35 am
      The sad thing is I don't really see him as a clinical striker but someone who gets in good positions, gets himself a lot of chances....but misses quite a few. I suppose at the end of the day it is how many goals he scores, rather than how many chances he misses that counts.... we will see!

I know where you're coming from. However, I think an element of that is confidence and time on the pitch. He doesn't strike me as a guy who lacks confidence at all. However, if a player is in and out of the team, not starting but playing 10, 15,20 minutes here and tyjeir, it is bound to affect them mentally and it is harder to have an impact on a game. I would look at the games he played for a struggling Bolton team, as well as the game against the Mancs in Carling Cup (albeit against a under-strength team) and I believe you get a real idea of what Daniel is about. If BR in stills belief in Daniel, as well as a regular run in the team, I think he could come good. No guarantees of course.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #48: Jan 04, 2013 12:49:16 am

I'm thinking option B

I definitely like option B! :D
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #49: Jan 04, 2013 01:01:05 am
      I hope he can just get in the box and be a nuisance.

Number of times a ball is played in to the oppositions box with Suarez the only one in there is unbelievable.

There is a reason the lad has more touches in the oppositions box then anyone else because he has nobody supporting him.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #50: Jan 04, 2013 01:50:11 am

:)

Quality
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #51: Jan 04, 2013 02:17:26 am
      Here's my question: Will Rodgers reveal his preferred tactical alignment against Mansfield or keep it under wraps until United?
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #52: Jan 04, 2013 05:05:52 am
      My question is: Will Rodgers take his war drums to Mansfield?
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #53: Jan 04, 2013 05:10:02 am

Couldnt have said it better myself
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #54: Jan 04, 2013 08:35:21 am
      So it's clear Sturridge will lead the attack, I doubt Suarez will take the AM spot since we have many midfielders who can play there and our wingers would still be Downing and Sterling! It will be Suarez and Sterling on the wings playing very narrow and Johnson and Enrique bombing forward. I love it! :scarf:
      It will be even better when: Sahin will get more game, Assaidi will be fully fit and back, Borini will return and Enrique back from injury. Add to this at least one winger this January and we get a team capable of competing for top 4, if not we should give our all to win a cup and the Europa League
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1646 
      Reply #55: Jan 04, 2013 09:23:15 am

To be fair Saint, before this season I'm pretty sure everyone said Suarez wasn't clinical. Now when he gets in on goal, you are thinking 'goal'. It is unusual for a player to be able to develop that trait of becoming a finisher, because it is one that you are usually just born with, but Suarez this season has just torn up that theory.

So fingers crossed the same applies to Sturridge!

I'm pretty certain that there will be no set positions now either (up top), especially for Suarez, I can see him being allowed to pivot around off whoever happens to playing alongside him at that point, e.g. Borini, Sturridge and vice versa. With Sterling he can play either side, giving us width, or cutting in. It's going to be a nightmare for defenders because up till now, it's all been Luis and defenders know that. Now they have a few more things to think about, which will drag defenders off him, giving Luis further opportunities.

All in all, I think this is a signing (and a team really) that is being built to get the best out of Suarez and if it works how I think it's going to, then Luis could yet go to another level, which is a frightening prospect.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #56: Jan 04, 2013 06:58:40 pm
      So it's clear Sturridge will lead the attack, I doubt Suarez will take the AM spot since we have many midfielders who can play there and our wingers would still be Downing and Sterling! It will be Suarez and Sterling on the wings playing very narrow and Johnson and Enrique bombing forward. I love it! :scarf:
      It will be even better when: Sahin will get more game, Assaidi will be fully fit and back, Borini will return and Enrique back from injury.

Add to this at least one winger this January and we get a team capable of competing for top 4,

if not we should give our all to win a cup and the Europa League

With you absolutely on that one Alex.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #57: Jan 04, 2013 07:18:11 pm
      I'd say he'd be an extra body in an already depleted squad, but were just the same with Cole gone. :D
      SEANOBYRNE78
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 723 posts |
      Reply #58: Jan 04, 2013 07:27:06 pm
      I would agree more pace and a directness/confidence only Luis seems to have thus far....fingers crossed for the lad I hope he does us proud !
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #59: Jan 04, 2013 07:30:20 pm
      To be fair Saint, before this season I'm pretty sure everyone said Suarez wasn't clinical. Now when he gets in on goal, you are thinking 'goal'. It is unusual for a player to be able to develop that trait of becoming a finisher, because it is one that you are usually just born with, but Suarez this season has just torn up that theory.

So fingers crossed the same applies to Sturridge!

I'm pretty certain that there will be no set positions now either (up top), especially for Suarez, I can see him being allowed to pivot around off whoever happens to playing alongside him at that point, e.g. Borini, Sturridge and vice versa. With Sterling he can play either side, giving us width, or cutting in. It's going to be a nightmare for defenders because up till now, it's all been Luis and defenders know that. Now they have a few more things to think about, which will drag defenders off him, giving Luis further opportunities.

All in all, I think this is a signing (and a team really) that is being built to get the best out of Suarez and if it works how I think it's going to, then Luis could yet go to another level, which is a frightening prospect.

He was a top finisher at Ajax. Last season it was a combination of his suspension and also hitting the post far too many times, otherwise his record would have been much better.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #60: Jan 04, 2013 07:55:33 pm
      hes going to ruin United
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #61: Jan 04, 2013 08:00:56 pm
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #62: Jan 04, 2013 10:22:44 pm
      He will play forward with Suárez and Sterling, and he will score lots of goals.
      (I hope, please please please lord please!)
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #63: Jan 04, 2013 11:21:52 pm
      Despite Rodgers comments about Sturridge being better through the middle I'm not sure I can see him shifting Luis into a wider position just yet. He may tinker and make some in-game adjustments during matches but I'd be surprised if Sturridge doesn't start out at inside-left during his first few matches with Suarez. Either way it certainly gives the manager a bit of flexibility and with borini coming back to fitness we might actually have some genuine options on the bench if things need changing up mid-game.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #64: Jan 05, 2013 12:07:29 am
      I've not been over enthusiastic about Sturridge. I think everyone will agree, he is still developing rather than being the finished article. I would have preferred a proven goal scorer at this time. Even so, what I think he will bring to our front line is a bit of strength and determination, similar to that of Louis but currently without the incredible skill level.  I do hope he proves me wrong, and develops into a great striker, sooner rather than later.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #65: Jan 05, 2013 12:14:19 am
        It'll make us score more goals. Footballs a simple game really.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #66: Jan 05, 2013 04:55:08 am
      I've not been over enthusiastic about Sturridge. I think everyone will agree, he is still developing rather than being the finished article. I would have preferred a proven goal scorer at this time. Even so, what I think he will bring to our front line is a bit of strength and determination, similar to that of Louis but currently without the incredible skill level.  I do hope he proves me wrong, and develops into a great striker, sooner rather than later.

I also think we should sign a proven goal scorer too but we have 3 with Borini now and I'd rather have a winger. I'd personally like Zarate who's available for 5mil and although he's not very clinical, he's and awesome dribbler and has much pace too.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #67: Jan 05, 2013 05:28:16 am
      Sturridge will start in the middle with Sterling on the right and Suarez as a left forward like he did at Ajax, or Sterling and Suarez will swap sides. The majority of Suarez' goals are created from the sides anyway, he is a natural forward who will play anywhere he is put and it wont compromise his game. Sturridge is a natural striker so it makes sense to give him his prefered spot in the middle.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #68: Jan 05, 2013 01:09:03 pm
      It'll give us a starting XI of S's

Spaniard

Scouse Skrtel Seb Stu

Stevie Sahin Suso

RyanBabel
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #69: Jan 05, 2013 05:07:28 pm
      Downing   Sturridge  sterling

Suarez

Gerrard         Lucas
      Glen    Dan     Mart    Wisdom

Suarez as a roaming #10
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #70: Jan 05, 2013 05:28:41 pm
      It'll give us a starting XI of S's

Spaniard

Scouse Skrtel Seb Stu

Stevie Sahin Suso

+  Subs.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #71: Jan 06, 2013 07:47:17 pm
      Q ) How will the signing of Sturridge change the team?..
      A) By putting the ball in the back of the net and taking a bit o pressure off Luis Suarez...Perfect start today after 7 minutes and a class finish..he looked hungry as he should be...goals goals and more goals please Daniel...
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #72: Jan 06, 2013 08:28:44 pm
      As I mentioned in the match thread when Suarez came on he played on the right wing and was far less effective than when he plays as a central striker. Hope that was an experiment and hope that he doesn't get moved to accommodate Sturridge.

There's only one player in our whole squad I'd move other players around to accommodate and that's Suarez.
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #73: Jan 07, 2013 04:08:59 am
      I was wondering... After seeing him in this Sunday's match, what do you think? Would you put him in the starting team against MU? On the right wing, perhaps, with Luis central striker and Raheem at the left?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,632 posts | 765 
      Reply #74: Jan 07, 2013 06:11:36 am
      Based on the way Suarez has played for Ajax http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/09/29/ajax-1-1-milan-tactics/ and the way Rodgers is talking about playing them both , i suspect the formation to look like this when everyone is fit.

But as he has mentioned previously, we have lots of players who can fill in a few positions which allows us some flexibility.

Sturridge can also play across the front 3, i think its a shame about Carroll never really getting a chance , as hes also a good option.
      But apparently hes too much of an expensive option.

I dont know how much f his wages west ham are paying but we seem to keep buying people so i dont know if loaning him out really makes a difference to the bottom line. I supposed he just doesnt rate him at all.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #75: Jan 07, 2013 06:14:32 am
      As I mentioned in the match thread when Suarez came on he played on the right wing and was far less effective than when he plays as a central striker. Hope that was an experiment and hope that he doesn't get moved to accommodate Sturridge.

There's only one player in our whole squad I'd move other players around to accommodate and that's Suarez.

Suarez came on for Sturridge so they never played alongside each other. Big difference talking about Suarez being ineffective on the right with Henderson and Downing in support. No one would displace Luis for either of those players centrally. The idea behind Sturridge playing through the center is to have the two strikers support each other, it's impossible to judge when they never got the chance to do exactly that.

Don't jump to conclusions, we didn't see anything today. It was not a first choice squad, it was on an awful pitch, in a scrap of a game.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #76: Jan 07, 2013 06:53:28 am
      based on the little we've seen so far I'd like to see Sturridge on the right wing (and Sterling on the left), Suarez will find himself out there anyway, so will Henderson, Johnson, Gerrard etc. this is our style.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #77: Jan 07, 2013 07:16:34 am
      based on the little we've seen so far I'd like to see Sturridge on the right wing (and Sterling on the left), Suarez will find himself out there anyway, so will Henderson, Johnson, Gerrard etc. this is our style.

As long as Downing is not starting it's fine to me :P
      but seriously I like this trio! I think that adding Ince will add something even  more explosive from what I've seen via youtube.
      And Borini :D

Imagine:
      Suarez      Borini        Sturridge

With Sterling and Ince as subs or sometimes starting.

Our succes will depend mainly on the midfield, the best one IMO is:

Shelvey
      Lucas             Gerrard
      since Shelvey and Gerrard are more offensive wherever they play and they can both score around 10 goals a season and Lucas is the heart of the team for me. But Shelvey has his off games often, and for this reason I think Allen should be preferred there. The issue is that Allen is not very athletic and scores rarely although his runs are very intelligent and his passing and retaining abilities are undeniable. I'd rather have him play vs ManUtd due to his abilities and serenity and his game vs them was just awesome. If we control the midfield we control the game and hence we are much much more dangerous. And with Suarez up front, as long as he's focused on the scoring part only, I'm sure the goals will come, and now with Sturridge, Suarez will be marked less and we know what follows
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #78: Jan 07, 2013 09:40:19 am
      It is an ever-changing thing but I feel our best midfield consists of Lucas, Gerrard and Allen

Henderson is proving to be a useful midfielder and Shelvey is a great young attacker - but that's what he is, not a central midfielder, not in the Prem at least, not yet.

Sahin is a great sixth man to have in there as if he gets himself fitter, more accustomed to England, whatever it may be, he could be important to the second half of our season. I guess he had to learn how to keep possession in the pace of this league and Rodgers' gameplan too, I hope his spell here is not over.

It depends on the front three, of course. Plus the fact that Lucas is coming back to full strength means that we have no one player (besides Gerrard) in the centre who can remain a strong presence, retain possession, aka boss it. That is why we've seen the combo of Allen and Henderson work out OK but I don't think we should start those two against the mancs.

--

Sturridge, Suarez, Sterling basically picks itself. Ince is a strong young attacker to have in the mix - he has been scoring goals, which is something we badly need, albeit in the Championship. He will have to step up to the Prem, like Sterling, who has worked his socks off for a couple of goals and assists so far this season. But Ince, should he move back to Anfield in the coming weeks, will have a better team to come into, I feel.

Downing I am not sure about. He has been playing better and seems to have more hunger, or is at least playing better in this system. Not sure he should start against the mancs but how useful would he be as an impact sub? Maybe he will be left out all together but that hasn't been the case recently. If he does start I assume Sturridge and Suarez will complete the front three and they will be very fluid indeed. With the midfield of Allen Gerrard and Lucas I feel we can get the result at the Toilet.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #79: Jan 07, 2013 10:53:36 am
      The Old Soak will stir up the sh*t about Suarez.
      All the focus will be on how evil and dastardly Suarez is.
      Man United players get caught up in the witch hunt.
      Players and coaches lose sight of our newest threat.

Sturridge scores the winner against United.

QED
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #80: Jan 07, 2013 12:42:39 pm
      yes its quite something to get your head round that a player whose desire to win at all costs is vilified over a drug cheat and an adulterer.
      I think it would be a great moment to see Luis dive in front of Ferguson after scoring his third goal.
      Sturridge has already shown he can go through the centre or from the wing so I think as long as he and Luis talk they could cause havoc .
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #81: Jan 07, 2013 12:50:00 pm
      I think signing Sturridge will be a great move for both him and us a football club.

What we've lacked this season is options up front - The Sunderland game is a good example of a game Sturridge could of came on and made 5/6-0. We were 3-0 up with 30+ minutes to go and had numerous opportunities to make it more than 3.

Another good thing with Sturridge signing is that Suarez will have someone supporting him when he makes those stunning runs from near the corner flag to crossing across goal.

Variation is another positive Sturridge brings to the team, he could play anywhere along the front 3:

Sturridge Suarez Sterling

or

Suarez Sturridge Sterling

or

For me that is one of the best front 3's in the league.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #82: Jan 07, 2013 12:53:37 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #83: Jan 07, 2013 03:18:23 pm
      The impacts of Suárez, Van Persie and Michu were particularly decisive and indicate the incredible
      strength in depth the top division clubs can boast – the three players at the top of the Premier League
      goalscoring charts were all part-rested, then introduced to provide crucial goals late on.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jan/06/liverpool-mansfield-daniel-sturridge

An extract from the above article.

Interesting to see some context to how teams rested their top scorers/key players.
      Some bemoaned Suarez scoring by saying we still rely on him, crucially Sturridge and Suarez
      now give us something we haven't had all season, options.

Quick Reply