Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

How Will the Signing of Sturridge Change Team

Read 11595 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: How Will the Signing of Sturridge Change Team
      Reply #46: Jan 04, 2013 12:29:23 am
      I think he will give us more options, interchange with Suarez and hopefully be in the box when we need him. I expect him to start wide right , but after a few games I can see him becoming the central striker with Suarez playing a free role all across the front line.

The sad thing is I don't really see him as a clinical striker but someone who gets in good positions, gets himself a lot of chances....but misses quite a few. I suppose at the end of the day it is how many goals he scores, rather than how many chances he misses that counts.... we will see!
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #47: Jan 04, 2013 12:46:35 am
      The sad thing is I don't really see him as a clinical striker but someone who gets in good positions, gets himself a lot of chances....but misses quite a few. I suppose at the end of the day it is how many goals he scores, rather than how many chances he misses that counts.... we will see!

I know where you're coming from. However, I think an element of that is confidence and time on the pitch. He doesn't strike me as a guy who lacks confidence at all. However, if a player is in and out of the team, not starting but playing 10, 15,20 minutes here and tyjeir, it is bound to affect them mentally and it is harder to have an impact on a game. I would look at the games he played for a struggling Bolton team, as well as the game against the Mancs in Carling Cup (albeit against a under-strength team) and I believe you get a real idea of what Daniel is about. If BR in stills belief in Daniel, as well as a regular run in the team, I think he could come good. No guarantees of course.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #48: Jan 04, 2013 12:49:16 am
      This is very insteresting. Does it mean

A) Suarez will be played as the front 1 in a 3 man midfield? Or
      B) That our front 3 is gonna be moving around the attacking front in absolutely unpredictable ways wrecking havoc and scorching the earth around defenders, burning down mormon cathedrals and slaying humongous sheep-eating flying jellyfish while a naked BR plays enormous war drums from the bench?

I'm thinking option B

I definitely like option B! :D
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #49: Jan 04, 2013 01:01:05 am
      I hope he can just get in the box and be a nuisance.

Number of times a ball is played in to the oppositions box with Suarez the only one in there is unbelievable.

There is a reason the lad has more touches in the oppositions box then anyone else because he has nobody supporting him.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #50: Jan 04, 2013 01:50:11 am
      B) That our front 3 is gonna be moving around the attacking front in absolutely unpredictable ways wrecking havoc and scorching the earth around defenders, burning down mormon cathedrals and slaying humongous sheep-eating flying jellyfish while a naked BR plays enormous war drums from the bench?

:)

Quality
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #51: Jan 04, 2013 02:17:26 am
      Here's my question: Will Rodgers reveal his preferred tactical alignment against Mansfield or keep it under wraps until United?
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #52: Jan 04, 2013 05:05:52 am
      My question is: Will Rodgers take his war drums to Mansfield?
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #53: Jan 04, 2013 05:10:02 am

Couldnt have said it better myself
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #54: Jan 04, 2013 08:35:21 am
      So it's clear Sturridge will lead the attack, I doubt Suarez will take the AM spot since we have many midfielders who can play there and our wingers would still be Downing and Sterling! It will be Suarez and Sterling on the wings playing very narrow and Johnson and Enrique bombing forward. I love it! :scarf:
      It will be even better when: Sahin will get more game, Assaidi will be fully fit and back, Borini will return and Enrique back from injury. Add to this at least one winger this January and we get a team capable of competing for top 4, if not we should give our all to win a cup and the Europa League
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1646 
      Reply #55: Jan 04, 2013 09:23:15 am

To be fair Saint, before this season I'm pretty sure everyone said Suarez wasn't clinical. Now when he gets in on goal, you are thinking 'goal'. It is unusual for a player to be able to develop that trait of becoming a finisher, because it is one that you are usually just born with, but Suarez this season has just torn up that theory.

So fingers crossed the same applies to Sturridge!

I'm pretty certain that there will be no set positions now either (up top), especially for Suarez, I can see him being allowed to pivot around off whoever happens to playing alongside him at that point, e.g. Borini, Sturridge and vice versa. With Sterling he can play either side, giving us width, or cutting in. It's going to be a nightmare for defenders because up till now, it's all been Luis and defenders know that. Now they have a few more things to think about, which will drag defenders off him, giving Luis further opportunities.

All in all, I think this is a signing (and a team really) that is being built to get the best out of Suarez and if it works how I think it's going to, then Luis could yet go to another level, which is a frightening prospect.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #56: Jan 04, 2013 06:58:40 pm
      So it's clear Sturridge will lead the attack, I doubt Suarez will take the AM spot since we have many midfielders who can play there and our wingers would still be Downing and Sterling! It will be Suarez and Sterling on the wings playing very narrow and Johnson and Enrique bombing forward. I love it! :scarf:
      It will be even better when: Sahin will get more game, Assaidi will be fully fit and back, Borini will return and Enrique back from injury.

Add to this at least one winger this January and we get a team capable of competing for top 4,

if not we should give our all to win a cup and the Europa League

With you absolutely on that one Alex.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #57: Jan 04, 2013 07:18:11 pm
      I'd say he'd be an extra body in an already depleted squad, but were just the same with Cole gone. :D
      SEANOBYRNE78
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 723 posts |
      Reply #58: Jan 04, 2013 07:27:06 pm
      I would agree more pace and a directness/confidence only Luis seems to have thus far....fingers crossed for the lad I hope he does us proud !
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #59: Jan 04, 2013 07:30:20 pm
      To be fair Saint, before this season I'm pretty sure everyone said Suarez wasn't clinical. Now when he gets in on goal, you are thinking 'goal'. It is unusual for a player to be able to develop that trait of becoming a finisher, because it is one that you are usually just born with, but Suarez this season has just torn up that theory.

So fingers crossed the same applies to Sturridge!

I'm pretty certain that there will be no set positions now either (up top), especially for Suarez, I can see him being allowed to pivot around off whoever happens to playing alongside him at that point, e.g. Borini, Sturridge and vice versa. With Sterling he can play either side, giving us width, or cutting in. It's going to be a nightmare for defenders because up till now, it's all been Luis and defenders know that. Now they have a few more things to think about, which will drag defenders off him, giving Luis further opportunities.

All in all, I think this is a signing (and a team really) that is being built to get the best out of Suarez and if it works how I think it's going to, then Luis could yet go to another level, which is a frightening prospect.

He was a top finisher at Ajax. Last season it was a combination of his suspension and also hitting the post far too many times, otherwise his record would have been much better.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #60: Jan 04, 2013 07:55:33 pm
      hes going to ruin United
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #61: Jan 04, 2013 08:00:56 pm
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #62: Jan 04, 2013 10:22:44 pm
      He will play forward with Suárez and Sterling, and he will score lots of goals.
      (I hope, please please please lord please!)
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #63: Jan 04, 2013 11:21:52 pm
      Despite Rodgers comments about Sturridge being better through the middle I'm not sure I can see him shifting Luis into a wider position just yet. He may tinker and make some in-game adjustments during matches but I'd be surprised if Sturridge doesn't start out at inside-left during his first few matches with Suarez. Either way it certainly gives the manager a bit of flexibility and with borini coming back to fitness we might actually have some genuine options on the bench if things need changing up mid-game.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #64: Jan 05, 2013 12:07:29 am
      I've not been over enthusiastic about Sturridge. I think everyone will agree, he is still developing rather than being the finished article. I would have preferred a proven goal scorer at this time. Even so, what I think he will bring to our front line is a bit of strength and determination, similar to that of Louis but currently without the incredible skill level.  I do hope he proves me wrong, and develops into a great striker, sooner rather than later.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #65: Jan 05, 2013 12:14:19 am
        It'll make us score more goals. Footballs a simple game really.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #66: Jan 05, 2013 04:55:08 am
      I've not been over enthusiastic about Sturridge. I think everyone will agree, he is still developing rather than being the finished article. I would have preferred a proven goal scorer at this time. Even so, what I think he will bring to our front line is a bit of strength and determination, similar to that of Louis but currently without the incredible skill level.  I do hope he proves me wrong, and develops into a great striker, sooner rather than later.

I also think we should sign a proven goal scorer too but we have 3 with Borini now and I'd rather have a winger. I'd personally like Zarate who's available for 5mil and although he's not very clinical, he's and awesome dribbler and has much pace too.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #67: Jan 05, 2013 05:28:16 am
      Sturridge will start in the middle with Sterling on the right and Suarez as a left forward like he did at Ajax, or Sterling and Suarez will swap sides. The majority of Suarez' goals are created from the sides anyway, he is a natural forward who will play anywhere he is put and it wont compromise his game. Sturridge is a natural striker so it makes sense to give him his prefered spot in the middle.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #68: Jan 05, 2013 01:09:03 pm
      It'll give us a starting XI of S's

Spaniard

Scouse Skrtel Seb Stu

Stevie Sahin Suso

Sterling Suarez Sturridge

Quick Reply