Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Brad Jones
      25 (31.6%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      13 (16.5%)
      Jamie Carragher
      11 (13.9%)
      Stewart Downing
      9 (11.4%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      16 (20.3%)
      Someone else
      5 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: Jan 09, 2013 08:27:05 pm

Mansfield Town 1:2 Liverpool, In game & post match debate.

Read 34578 times
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Re: LIVE: Mansfield Town V Liverpool
      Reply #437: Jan 06, 2013 06:46:38 pm
      is that four wins in a row..? come on big red machine. a win at old trafford next to set this season alight.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #438: Jan 06, 2013 06:48:13 pm

Yes, me too; Jones look like one of the few players that actually came prepared to play..saved out bacon more than one occasion.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #439: Jan 06, 2013 06:50:03 pm
      Fair points mate. I agree. Although I never want us to win on a controversial goal. How they missed that was beyond belief.
      Against the Scum, its called "Karma is a bi*ch", :)
      We should not be needing this kind of things against such a poor opposition. We were schooled for most of the second half. Seriously, it was embarassing
      Worst thing is, Luis had had quite a few fair reviews lately, and will swiftly return to public enemy numero 1
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #440: Jan 06, 2013 06:50:09 pm
      Anyone else notice Suarez came on and played out wide and was no where near as effective as he has been up top? Hope that's not a sign of things to come.

Exactly. 

First game to keep Sturridge happy?

Need a winger.

Thought Suso wasnt up for this mud clogging English game.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #441: Jan 06, 2013 06:51:41 pm
      Against the Scum, its called "Karma is a bi*ch", :)
      We should not be needing this kind of things against such a poor opposition. We were schooled for most of the second half. Seriously, it was embarassing
      Worst thing is, Luis had had quite a few fair reviews lately, and will swiftly return to public enemy numero 1

That's the worst part about it. He was starting to win back public opinion too :(
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #442: Jan 06, 2013 06:51:49 pm
      Fairplay to mansfield Town players  and manager and the club too
       They had a go at it and to thier credit they nearly forced a trip to Anfield
       A great jesture by the clubto pay tribute to the 96 by leaving 96 seats empty
        Now to the game :
                                    had a decent first half, missed a couple of open chances to put the game  to bed in the first half, liked Sturridge 's movements

Second half was very scruppy especially by the Redmen, Shelvey missed some great chances too ,by missing the target
        About Luis's goal, it could or should easily have been disallowed, but thats football
                                     Was watching the post  game comments on Al Jaseera and one blue sh*te  Andy gray was more  angry and gutted about our second goal  than  Mansfield town's manger himself

We got Oldham away for the next round
        YNWA                       
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #443: Jan 06, 2013 06:54:06 pm
      Thought Suso wasnt up for this mud clogging English game.
      But then again, honestly, when has he been up to? Still cant see in him what grants him a first team spot...

To be fair, the lads were trying not to get injured, and didnt fight for every loose ball , against an opposition who were playing the match of a lifetime. Still no excuse for such a poor and simple performance
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #444: Jan 06, 2013 06:56:15 pm
      To be honest, I think they deserved better. There were at least 2 handballs that could have been penalties to them, and one of our goals was a handball. Im happy with the result, but I didnt enjoy the way we got it. If it had been against the scum or Chelski id be delighted, but against Mansfield, it feels like robbery.

Can only agree mate, especially after the magnificent 96 gesture with the seats and their gutsy display  the very least they deserved was a replay. 
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #445: Jan 06, 2013 06:56:46 pm
      We were great in the first 10 minutes, had 4 very good chances, if we hadn't have got the early goal, I think we would be out....
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #446: Jan 06, 2013 06:58:36 pm
      Fairplay to mansfield Town players  and manager and the club too
       They had a go at it and to thier credit they nearly forced a trip to Anfield
       A great jesture by the clubto pay tribute to the 96 by leaving 96 seats empty

We got Oldham away for the next round
        YNWA                       
      I think it would be a nice gesture if L.F.C. made a donation to Mansfield to cover the revenue lost from the 96 seats,it was a wonderful thing Mansfield did and they are not exactly loaded are they.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #447: Jan 06, 2013 06:58:48 pm

Sorry mate had to afk for a while there and didn't see the question until now.

Basically was asked in quite a leading manner about Suarez's goal and how he supposedly cheated. He said something very similar to Luis gets a bad rep in this country for all the diving and I think it would be very cheap to use that as an excuse. 99 out of 100 players in that position would of done the same and if we'd had the goal we wouldn't be complaining.

He had more complaints about a penalty they should of had at the other end, came out of that interview with massive respect from me that's for sure. It always takes a brave man to go against the trend, was also good to hear Digger putting the emphasis on the officials who for the record saw the hand ball and said it wasn't deliberate, simple as that really.

Hope to meet them next year in the final, wish them all the best in trying to gain promotion back into the football league, quality performance by them on and off the pitch.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #448: Jan 06, 2013 07:01:01 pm
      we seem to disect victories more than defeats.the pitch was terrible the occasion made it a no win situation and had we taken our chances better it would have been far more comfortable.But fortunately in a cup game you only have to win the game nothing else matters.Roll on Oldham.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #449: Jan 06, 2013 07:03:42 pm
      I think it would be a nice gesture if L.F.C. made a donation to Mansfield to cover the revenue lost from the 96 seats,it was a wonderful thing Mansfield did and they are not exactly loaded are they.
      Exactly I was thinking how great it would be if the players donated a weeks wages to their opposition player.But Mansfield deserve our heart felt thanks for a great tribute.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #450: Jan 06, 2013 07:04:26 pm

That would be quality!
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #451: Jan 06, 2013 07:08:34 pm
      Thought Robbo was outstanding myself
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #452: Jan 06, 2013 07:11:13 pm
      Banana skin avoided. Always nightmare games these.

Theres a few players who didn't do themselves any favors though with their performances.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,498 posts | 233 
      Reply #453: Jan 06, 2013 07:23:44 pm
      Only players who could hold their head up high were Jones, Sturridge and Robinson.

Shelvey played some great passes but could not finish.
      Bleed-LFC
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #454: Jan 06, 2013 07:24:00 pm
      Sorry mate had to afk for a while there and didn't see the question until now.

Basically was asked in quite a leading manner about Suarez's goal and how he supposedly cheated. He said something very similar to Luis gets a bad rep in this country for all the diving and I think it would be very cheap to use that as an excuse. 99 out of 100 players in that position would of done the same and if we'd had the goal we wouldn't be complaining.

He had more complaints about a penalty they should of had at the other end, came out of that interview with massive respect from me that's for sure. It always takes a brave man to go against the trend, was also good to hear Digger putting the emphasis on the officials who for the record saw the hand ball and said it wasn't deliberate, simple as that really.

Hope to meet them next year in the final, wish them all the best in trying to gain promotion back into the football league, quality performance by them on and off the pitch.

Big respect to there manager,thought what he said about the handball and LS was brilliant ,partically the part where he said were lucky to have such a good player like Suarez playing in England ,also on the handball debate i think Suarez thought the ref was gonna give free kick , fair-play to him for playing to the wistle. YNWA JFT96
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #455: Jan 06, 2013 07:34:53 pm
      I thought Downing had a decent game .
      robj998
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #456: Jan 06, 2013 07:36:35 pm
      So happy with the win, I live in Mansfield so losing to them I could not take the abuse I would get from it. First half was a proffesional performance, Second half was atrocious. So many missed chances, hopefully getting them out of the way for United next week? All in all a win is a win, Paul Cox needs to remember that half time team talk for next time!! Well played to Mansfield, gave it a real go in a cup tie.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #457: Jan 06, 2013 07:40:08 pm
      These no win type of games are always very tough, especially playing away from home. Got the job done and the name in the hat for the next round which all that matters.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #458: Jan 06, 2013 07:40:51 pm
      I thought Downing had a decent game .

Yes so do I! Yet I saw somebody posting before saying he was playing sh*t or something of a similar sort. If it wasn't for him then I don't think we would have crossed the half way line very often.
      Bleed-LFC
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #459: Jan 06, 2013 07:41:02 pm
      Manfields manager Paul Cox: "I would like to give Luis Suarez the benefit of the doubt and it was a reaction. Just because it's Suárez, a bigger deal is being made. 99 out of 100 players would do the same. Its FA cup football. If it went in at our end we'd take it. Just because it's Suarez and his reputation a bigger deal is being made."
      Respect !! YNWA!

Quick Reply