Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Alan Hansen: Suarez cannot be blamed...

Read 9376 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,889 posts | 704 
      Re: Alan Hansen: Suarez cannot be blamed...
      Reply #23: Jan 07, 2013 08:21:43 pm
      Quote from Reslivo
      Liverpool striker Luis SuƔrez cannot be blamed for carrying out his job and acting like any other player would have
      by Alan Hansen

Liverpool striker Luis SuƔrez cannot be blamed for carrying out his job and acting like any other player

Take Craig Gardner for Sunderland against Spurs last week. Would anyone have expected him to ask the referee to rescind the booking against Gareth Bale - a caution that earned the Tottenham player a suspension - and admit he did make contact and a penalty should have been awarded?

I was involved in an incident in the 1984 League Cup final against Everton. I was in my own penalty box, the ball hit my thigh and bounced onto my arm.

The penalty was not given. Are people saying I should have been running to the referee and telling him it might have been a spot kick?

So, you are trying to get away with fouls. Is that cheating too? Of course not. You are playing within the boundaries all the time, and it is for the officials to determine where there has been a misdemeanour.

There have been one or two situations where players have been acclaimed for their sportsmanship - Robbie Fowler telling the referee not to award a penalty against David Seaman in the early 1990s springs to mind. You will not find too many others.

Yesterday, SuƔrez simply followed the golden rule every youngster is taught when he first plays football. "Play to the whistle." If that whistle does not come, it's the fault of the referee, not the player.
      Sorry Alan, you're not allowed to deliberately handle the ball in this sport, and cheating in whatever form cannot be condoned. We preach fair play in football, not "if the ref doesn't see it, tough luck". Comparing what happened yesterday to previous games isn't a defence either. Two wrongs don't make a right, and every incident should be taken on it's own merits.

I'm not saying Luis cheated. But if that was against us yesterday, we wouldn't be arguing whether it was accidental or not, saying "do your job" and "play to the whistle". We would be outraged and have every right to be. I notice that there was a rather muted reaction from our fans after it was scored, and they had a perfect view of it.

It could have gone either way. We got the decision our way yesterday, we may not get it our way the next time. And that doesn't justify what happened in the goal against Mansfield either.
      Go Ed Avi Lad
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #24: Jan 07, 2013 08:30:38 pm

There's more chance of me being the next person to walk on the Moon !

If you do you'll be the first.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #25: Jan 07, 2013 08:30:52 pm
      Sorry Alan, you're not allowed to deliberately handle the ball in this sport, and cheating in whatever form cannot be condoned. We preach fair play in football, not "if the ref doesn't see it, tough luck". Comparing what happened yesterday to previous games isn't a defence either. Two wrongs don't make a right, and every incident should be taken on it's own merits.

I'm not saying Luis cheated. But if that was against us yesterday, we wouldn't be arguing whether it was accidental or not, saying "do your job" and "play to the whistle". We would be outraged and have every right to be. I notice that there was a rather muted reaction from our fans after it was scored, and they had a perfect view of it.

It could have gone either way. We got the decision our way yesterday, we may not get it our way the next time. And that doesn't justify what happened in the goal against Mansfield either.

You for real?
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #26: Jan 07, 2013 08:32:23 pm
      No Si, he's a WUM
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #27: Jan 07, 2013 08:33:25 pm
      just watched Jelavich catch the ball in a bid to control it and Champions comment......not a word funny that.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #28: Jan 07, 2013 08:39:06 pm
      just watched Jelavich catch the ball in a bid to control it and Champions comment......not a word funny that.
      BS playing tonight walton ?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #29: Jan 07, 2013 08:40:11 pm

I think he's just daft.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #30: Jan 07, 2013 08:51:12 pm

The fact that it wasn't intentional DOES justify the goal ffs...

Our fans apparent pause before celebrating only suggests it was debatable?..
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #31: Jan 07, 2013 09:20:21 pm
      Alan Hansen, a true red and Says it as it should be said, truthfully and and unbiased ! 
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #32: Jan 07, 2013 09:34:42 pm

Still here? Every forum needs one ay?

red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #33: Jan 07, 2013 09:51:16 pm

....lost for words !
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #34: Jan 07, 2013 09:55:13 pm
      Don't be ! He's not lost for many.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #35: Jan 07, 2013 09:59:19 pm
      Don't be ! He's not lost for many.

A few intelligent one's wouldn't go amiss.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,889 posts | 704 
      Reply #36: Jan 08, 2013 12:47:50 pm
      Quote from Chico Banderas
      The fact that it wasn't intentional DOES justify the goal ffs...

He's basically saying it's ok to gain an advantage, if the ref doesn't see it. What happened to all the Fair Play sh*te we keep hearing about? Is that an a la carte thing now? In which case, the whole campaign is a sham.

Accidental or not, if we were knocked out of the Cup like that Alan would, like the rest of us, bemoan the lack of sportsmanship and fume how sh*te the modern "win at all costs" game is.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #37: Jan 08, 2013 12:49:30 pm

Accidental or not, if we were knocked out of the Cup like that Alan would, like the rest of us, bemoan the lack of sportsmanship and fume how sh*te the modern "win at all costs" game is.

Stop with the wind up mate. The difference is, we'd be up in arms about the officials, not breathing down one player's neck for "cheating" even though it was obviously not intentional.

I'm pretty sure there's been lots of incidents this year where we've lost because of a dodgy decision and not once have we accused one of the opposition of cheating. Every time I can remember, the finger of blame has been aimed at the referee or the assistants.

Are you of the opinion that players should own up to something like a handball? Because even then, it's not Suarez that should be taking the brunt of the public criticism because he didn't do it, but football as a whole. If that was the ideal scenario then the sport would have to change, not one man. The way it is now, he did nothing wrong and played to the whistle (which is what he's supposed to do, it's his job).

Not saying we wouldn't be pissed if it didn't happen to us, but I'm pretty sure we'd be going mental at the officials, not the opposition player who accidentally handled the ball and put it in the back of the net.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,889 posts | 704 
      Reply #38: Jan 08, 2013 01:57:33 pm
      Quote from Monobrow
      Stop with the wind up mate. The difference is, we'd be up in arms about the officials, not breathing down one player's neck for "cheating" even though it was obviously not intentional.

I'm pretty sure there's been lots of incidents this year where we've lost because of a dodgy decision and not once have we accused one of the opposition of cheating. Every time I can remember, the finger of blame has been aimed at the referee or the assistants.

Not saying we wouldn't be pissed if it didn't happen to us, but I'm pretty sure we'd be going mental at the officials, not the opposition player who accidentally handled the ball and put it in the back of the net.

First game of the season, the opposition won two clear penalties, and what did we do? Blame their player for diving. The month after, we lost at home from another penalty after taking the lead, and we blamed the opponent for that too. At the end of November, the decisive goal was scored after a debateable free kick, which we blamed their player for.

I think we should just be happy about winning the game on Sunday, not trying to justify what happened by comparing it to earlier games. Because those comparisons will rightly fly out the window, as soon as the next debateable decision doesn't go our way.

I'm not on the wind-up. We know that many people are put off football now because of the win at all costs approach compared to other sports. If we're trying to set an example of and promote fair play in the game, then that's what we should be encouraging, not "if the ref doesn't see it, fair enough".
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #39: Jan 08, 2013 02:10:09 pm
      He's basically saying it's ok to gain an advantage, if the ref doesn't see it. What happened to all the Fair Play sh*te we keep hearing about? Is that an a la carte thing now? In which case, the whole campaign is a sham.

Actually, what he's saying is that it's not the footballer's job to come clean over an incident. He's not suggesting that players should intentionally cheat, he's saying that if we start down a road where a player should own up to every incident of them breaking the rules during a game then what point game officials? Luis is paid to score goals, not own up to every infringement he makes in a game. Referees are paid to make judgement calls on whether a player broke the rules of the game and whether the breaking of the rule was intentional or accidental. If the ball hits his hand prior to going in then it's the referee's job to make a determination, not a players.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #40: Jan 08, 2013 02:14:51 pm
      First game of the season, the opposition won two clear penalties, and what did we do? Blame their player for diving. The month after, we lost at home from another penalty after taking the lead, and we blamed the opponent for that too. At the end of November, the decisive goal was scored after a debateable free kick, which we blamed their player for.

I think we should just be happy about winning the game on Sunday, not trying to justify what happened by comparing it to earlier games. Because those comparisons will rightly fly out the window, as soon as the next debateable decision doesn't go our way.

I'm not on the wind-up. We know that many people are put off football now because of the win at all costs approach compared to other sports. If we're trying to set an example of and promote fair play in the game, then that's what we should be encouraging, not "if the ref doesn't see it, fair enough".

I hate feeding trolls but I'll throw you some scraps for the bit in bold.

The win at all costs attitude was removed from other sports when their respective governing bodies introduced technology to ensure that the correct decisions were made during a game/match.  How can "we" promote fair play in football when our governing body continues to leave "all" decisions to the officials on the pitch.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #41: Jan 08, 2013 02:37:15 pm

Shifting the goal posts yet again, the debate here is about the legitimacy or not of Luis' goal and while there is a mass of qualified opinion that is positive you as is way, veer off on some obscure tangent to suggest whatever.
      There was no intentional movement to obstruct or affect the ball in any way as the replay shows - he kissed his wrist as he always does, end of.
      The only people seeking to discredit Luis and consequently LFC are the media and people with ulterior motives - are your ears burning yet?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #42: Jan 08, 2013 02:55:51 pm
      Shifting the goal posts yet again, the debate here is about the legitimacy or not of Luis' goal and while there is a mass of qualified opinion that is positive you as is way, veer off on some obscure tangent to suggest whatever.
      There was no intentional movement to obstruct or affect the ball in any way as the replay shows - he kissed his wrist as he always does, end of.
      The only people seeking to discredit Luis and consequently LFC are the media and people with ulterior motives - are your ears burning yet?

And yet again it all kicks off in the media in the week we play utd.

There were quite a few incidents over xmas, the new year and in the FA cup, but what gets the headlines?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #43: Jan 08, 2013 05:26:24 pm
      And yet again it all kicks off in the media in the week we play utd.

There were quite a few incidents over xmas, the new year and in the FA cup, but what gets the headlines?

Precisely the reason bacon face has said nothing!!
      The manc media are doing the wind up for him.
      But we know Luis laughs in the face of adversity and pisses all over his detractors by scoring for fun.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #44: Jan 08, 2013 10:47:58 pm

Where's the F***ing negative button on here  , i miss it so much.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #45: Jan 08, 2013 10:56:12 pm
      He seems to be getting slated when it clearly wasn't deliberate, yet Thierry Henry was deliberate and cost Ireland a place in a major tournament. Are Mansfield bitter because they genuinely wanted to see how far they could get or are they bitter because they lost out on a bit extra cash? Either way it's the officials who are in the wrong, not Suarez. Anyways, about time we got a decision for once.

Quick Reply