Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Fans protesting against away ticket prices

Read 5382 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Fans protesting against away ticket prices
      Jan 10, 2013 10:40:01 am
      Mods, I thought this was more a general topic than specifically Liverpool based but if you think it should be in the Kop then please move it.

I'm sure with the squeeze on everyone's finances over the last few years it was only a matter of time before fans started to get fed up with this kind of thing happening.

Not sure if it will ever happen but let's hope it gains some momentum.

Have any of our travelling Kopites cut down on away games in recent years?

Manchester United and Liverpool fans unite against away ticket prices

Rival fans from Liverpool and Manchester United will work together with other trusts and the Football Supporters' Federation to campaign for a maximum away ticket price in the Premier League, following Manchester City's decision to send back a third of their allocation for Sunday's match at Arsenal.

The FSF and Supporters Direct are in the process of arranging formal meetings between fan groups in the top flight, to lobby the Premier League and its clubs to introduce a £20-£25 cap for away games. City sent back 912 tickets, priced at £62, for this weekend's match at the Emirates Stadium.

Premier League rules state that away fans must be charged the same price for the same match as home supporters. However, Malcolm Clarke, the FSF president, believes fans have had enough and increased TV revenue from next season should result in lower costs.

"Though we have our club rivalries, what we recognise is that without the rival sets of supporters inside a ground the atmosphere is much poorer," he said. "We're going to be launching a campaign within a few weeks, we will be calling for a maximum ticket price in the Premier League for away fans.

"Next season they could knock off £32 from every single ticket, for every single game, for every single supporter in the Premier League and still have the same amount of money that they have this season because of the TV income."

Supporters of both Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham routinely get charged the highest category prices to attend away matches while followers of other sides are able to pay less. Indeed, Stoke City fans will each pay £32.50 when they go to Arsenal next month.

Liverpool play at the Emirates in two weeks. The club expect to sell their allocation but the consensus from supporters is that they are being exploited for their loyalty and dedication. The group Spirit of Shankly believes opposing supporters need to unite if away ticket prices are to be capped. "We are trying to get supporters of all clubs around the table," a spokesman said. "Liverpool fans aren't going to change it on their own. At the moment we're a mid-table club still paying category A prices."

Paul Martin, a committee member for the group, added: "We're looking at working with the arch enemy Manchester United and others to put a bit of pressure on the clubs to introduce a cap for prices on away tickets. Everybody jokes about Manchester United fans being from outside of Manchester but the core of them are from the Manchester area. The rivalry will start to dwindle when the prices are driving local people away from the game."

The Manchester United Supporters Trust chief executive, Duncan Drasdo, said the key issue is the disparity in prices, with fans of bigger clubs paying more compared to others.

He said: "The attack on traditional football fan culture continues relentlessly but until recently away support remained as at least one bastion of hard-core support which had remained largely intact.

"However, the threat to the away fan is very clear now and this should concern even the most self serving of club owners as the large vocal away following has long been a hugely attractive aspect of British football.

"If the home club wishes to charge different prices to home fans depending on the opposition that isn't unreasonable but to charge one set of away fans a higher price than another is clearly inequitable.

"Price categorisation for away fans should be outlawed and this is something MUST has been lobbying for. It has brought together arch rivals such as Manchester United and Liverpool fans who both recognise the essential importance of genuine vocal away fans to the culture of English football."

Arsenal supporters have been increasingly vocal in protest of high ticket prices. The most expensive season ticket at the club is £1,955 while the dearest individual matchday ticket is £126. However, for games that are regarded as "category C", namely Sunderland, Southampton, Swansea City, West Bromwich Albion, Reading and Norwich City, a ticket can be purchased for £25.

Tim Payton of the Arsenal Supporters' Trust defended the City fans who will not attend Sunday's game and said that without away supporters inside the stadium the "product" of the Premier League would be seriously harmed. "The away fan is disproportionately important. They create the noise, tribalism and the atmosphere, all part of this wonderful product that is the Premier League. Every fan is important but without the away fans you get a tepid atmosphere. The problem with this categorisation is for the away fan, if you follow Arsenal, a Chelsea or a Manchester City you'll get clobbered everywhere you go."

A survey into the price of football conducted last year found that the cost of the cheapest adult ticket in the Football League had risen by 11.7%, more than five times the rate of inflation. With travel and refreshment costs also rising, and the most expensive matchday programme costing £4, a large number of supporters feel that they are being priced out of watching their side.

Martin has followed Liverpool home and away for 12 years but is considering missing a match for the first time during that period due to the cost of a ticket at Arsenal. He says that per year, with a season ticket, it costs £2,000 in admission fees to watch Liverpool at home and on the road, and giving a conservative estimation believes he pays more than £1,000 in other costs throughout the campaign. "I don't think I'm going to buy a ticket for Arsenal. It's £62, the price is just unbelievable, more than double what it should be. This will be the first time in 12 seasons I've seen a price of a ticket and thought I'm not going to get one. Arsenal is not a £62 experience. You'd consider that as a price for an FA Cup final ticket."

However, the Premier League insisted that attendances are still high and that the quality of stadiums in the top division has greatly improved. "Ticket pricing is a matter for individual clubs, many of which work hard to fill their stadiums with offers at different points during a season that make top flight football accessible to large numbers of fans," a spokesman said. "The quality and safety of stadia is as a result of extensive and continued investment from the clubs. Fans clearly enjoy the environment in which they watch Premier League matches and the football on offer with occupancy rates at grounds tracking at 95% for this season and having been 90%+ for the last 15 seasons in a row."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/09/liverpool-manchester-united-ticket-prices
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Fans protesting against away ticket prices
      Reply #1: Jan 10, 2013 10:46:36 am
      Great idea but the chance of clubs agreeing to this is none whatsover.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #2: Jan 10, 2013 05:33:00 pm
      I read about this and I think it's got some legs in it. The clubs will be getting even more money this Summer following the new TV deal, so they may drop the prices. I read on Twitter that clubs would be able to afford to drop seat prices by £32 each without being any worse off.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #3: Jan 10, 2013 05:49:32 pm
      I read about this and I think it's got some legs in it. The clubs will be getting even more money this Summer following the new TV deal, so they may drop the prices. I read on Twitter that clubs would be able to afford to drop seat prices by £32 each without being any worse off.
      And what then would be the benefit of the new TV deal be to the club?  Dropping ticket prices when you already sell out every match is idiotic.

Although if they did that then there would be no room for the fans to complain about the club not spending any money.

"Why aren't you buying world class players"

"Because the money we had planned on using for tranfers went back into your pocket"

"Oh"
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #4: Jan 10, 2013 06:54:21 pm
      And what then would be the benefit of the new TV deal be to the club?  Dropping ticket prices when you already sell out every match is idiotic.

Although if they did that then there would be no room for the fans to complain about the club not spending any money.

"Because the money we had planned on using for tranfers went back into your pocket"

"Oh"

I do wonder how many fans (especially LFC) would be in favor of say one less signing during the transfer window to have cheaper away ticket prices?

I have no idea if that's the amount of money that would be saved, purely conjecture on my part.
      Awayfanprices
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Away Fan ticket Prices
      Reply #5: Jan 10, 2013 06:55:58 pm
      Hi Folks

Sorry to drop in on you like this, just trying to do the rounds on as many forums as possible to try and get a bit of awareness about our campaign. We are trying to make a bit of noise and gather as many people as possible to try and get some sort of a cap on away ticket prices.

This is NOT a club specific campaign, as we are trying to make a mark across the board.

It might be pissing in the wind, but if you are on Facebook and you could take two seconds to 'like' and 'share' the below link, then who knows, maybe some of the powers that be may take note and we can achieve something, however small.

http://www.facebook.com/AwayFansTicketPrices?ref=ts&fref=ts

We are also on twitter, you can follow us at @AwayFanPrices

Any help/support is much appreciated and if you feel you can help in any way, please contact us at awayfanprices@gmail.com

Cheers
      « Last Edit: Jan 12, 2013 07:30:21 pm by Reslivo »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Jan 10, 2013 08:34:17 pm

"Oh"

I see where you're coming from mate but then if Clubs spend all the extra cash on signing world class players ticket prices would go up as they know that the demand would be even higher. 

It's how big business works.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #7: Jan 10, 2013 09:03:41 pm
      I see where you're coming from mate but then if Clubs spend all the extra cash on signing world class players ticket prices would go up as they know that the demand would be even higher. 

It's how big business works.
      I hear ya, and agree.  But as Awayfanprices mentions "pissing into the wind", Citeh returned a third of their tickets for the match against Arsenal.  Arsenal sold those tickets in the blink of an eye.  Without a problem. 

Unfortunately the only way to take this campaign anywhere is to simply not buy away tickets.  At ALL.  And then in turn make sure that when those tickets go back to the home club they don't get bought by their own supporters.   As long as the market is there to buy tickets, there is no way the prices will drop.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #8: Jan 10, 2013 09:50:26 pm
      Hi Folks

Sorry to drop in on you like this, just trying to do the rounds on as many forums as possible to try and get a bit of awareness about our campaign. We are trying to make a bit of noise and gather as many people as possible to try and get some sort of a cap on away ticket prices.

This is NOT a club specific campaign, as we are trying to make a mark across the board.

it might be pissing in the wind, but if you are on Facebook and you could take two seconds to 'like' and 'share' the below link, then who knows, maybe some of the powers that be may take note and we can achieve something, however small

http://www.facebook.com/AwayFansTicketP ... ts&fref=ts

We are also on twitter, you can follow us at @AwayFanPrices

Any help/support is much appreciated and if you feel you can help in any way, please contact us at awayfanprices@gmail.com

Cheers

First of all, I think it is great what you are doing. I have contacted you on twitter as I have had issues signing the petition. I have tried two addresses and both have failed.

Despite this, I fear the campaign is a bit of a no-goer from the start. The football clubs have too much power now, you only have to look at United's hold of the FA. Anyway, I support you and I am fully behind you but just fear a lot of people will be left disappointed. Best of luck!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #9: Jan 12, 2013 05:01:19 pm

"Oh"

That's ok then keep ripping off the fans, just like we are going be to be charged £62 for a premier league at Arsenal, that is a F***ing disgrace.

We come from Liverpool, not down south.

KEEP TICKET PRICES SCOUSE!!
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #10: Jan 12, 2013 06:55:28 pm
      You don't know how well you have it my friends.  This thread made me look up the numbers and it has been a bit of a smack in the face.  Here was my spend numbers for sporting events in the New York area

New York Rangers: 2 tickets in the lower bowl.  41 regular season games, 12 playoff games, =$20,350
      Rutgers University:  $5,000 mandatory donation to keep my season tickets plus five tickets for every game.  = $7,100
      New York Jets: Two season tickets (My wife is a Jets fanI care Fook all about the NFL) =$2,500
                             Two years ago I had to pay $10,000 for Personal Seat Licences.  That's right.  I had to pay that for the right to buy the
                             tickets for the games.

All that together plus parking / transportation / food and bevvies I spend about $50,000 per year on sporting events (Not including baseball which I only go to a handful of games per year with my son)

I'm not minted.  I'm a golf pro that works his arse off for 6 months per year (No I'm not a tour pro, I give lessons), My wife makes a fair bit and we do well.  Not great, but well enough to be able to have a bit to spend on the things we enjoy.

What price would I put on taking my son to a New York Rangers hockey game?  Factor in the team wins the game.  He gets a few bits of fan stuff, foam fingers, programs etc.  He gets to ride a train (which I think is his favorite part).  He spends time with me.  There is no price I can put on the memories and time spent together that I can put on that.

Rutgers football.  I grew up separated by the stadium only by a park and a river.  When they played night games the lights would be left on well into the night and the lights would make it seem like it was noon in my bedroom.  The morning before a game we get together and pack the truck up with the grill and cooler and spend about 6 hours cooking, eating and drinking with all of our families friends that I grew up with and their families.  Those are pretty much the only times we get together throughout the year.  It's not just about the game.  The tailgating and partying is the main focus.  The atmosphere in the game is simply breathtaking.  What sort of price would I put on that.

My point is, If it costs a few extra quid to make memories that will last a lifetime, is it really so bad?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #11: Jan 12, 2013 07:31:45 pm
      My point is, If it costs a few extra quid to make memories that will last a lifetime, is it really so bad?

Yes.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #12: Jan 12, 2013 07:42:42 pm
      Alright.  That's the end of that then :P
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #13: Jan 13, 2013 12:46:38 am
      You don't know how well you have it my friends.  This thread made me look up the numbers and it has been a bit of a smack in the face.  Here was my spend numbers for sporting events in the New York area

New York Rangers: 2 tickets in the lower bowl.  41 regular season games, 12 playoff games, =$20,350
      Rutgers University:  $5,000 mandatory donation to keep my season tickets plus five tickets for every game.  = $7,100
      New York Jets: Two season tickets (My wife is a Jets fanI care Fook all about the NFL) =$2,500
                             Two years ago I had to pay $10,000 for Personal Seat Licences.  That's right.  I had to pay that for the right to buy the
                             tickets for the games.

All that together plus parking / transportation / food and bevvies I spend about $50,000 per year on sporting events (Not including baseball which I only go to a handful of games per year with my son)

I'm not minted.  I'm a golf pro that works his arse off for 6 months per year (No I'm not a tour pro, I give lessons), My wife makes a fair bit and we do well.  Not great, but well enough to be able to have a bit to spend on the things we enjoy.

What price would I put on taking my son to a New York Rangers hockey game?  Factor in the team wins the game.  He gets a few bits of fan stuff, foam fingers, programs etc.  He gets to ride a train (which I think is his favorite part).  He spends time with me.  There is no price I can put on the memories and time spent together that I can put on that.

Rutgers football.  I grew up separated by the stadium only by a park and a river.  When they played night games the lights would be left on well into the night and the lights would make it seem like it was noon in my bedroom.  The morning before a game we get together and pack the truck up with the grill and cooler and spend about 6 hours cooking, eating and drinking with all of our families friends that I grew up with and their families.  Those are pretty much the only times we get together throughout the year.  It's not just about the game.  The tailgating and partying is the main focus.  The atmosphere in the game is simply breathtaking.  What sort of price would I put on that.

Have you taken into account the difference in the cost of living say in New York, then London and then compare both of them with Liverpool?

There is already a difference in living between London and Liverpool, I wouldn't even try comparing that with New York.

And on top of that have you wondered about the local fathers who have been priced out of going and priced out of taking their kids to see their local team, no you haven't!
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #14: Jan 13, 2013 07:27:31 am
      Have you taken into account the difference in the cost of living say in New York, then London and then compare both of them with Liverpool?

There is already a difference in living between London and Liverpool, I wouldn't even try comparing that with New York.

And on top of that have you wondered about the local fathers who have been priced out of going and priced out of taking their kids to see their local team, no you haven't!
      No I haven't mate.  I'll not speak of something of which I've no idea.  I was simply trying to offer some perspective. 
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #15: Jan 16, 2013 09:04:41 pm
      Perhaps not the right place to put this,, but tickets to get in the nou camp tonight for the copa del ray 9 fcking euros the damned cheek of it ,, seriously could you imagine rolling up to anfeld for the fa cup  at that price wont happen in this country .l
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #16: Jan 18, 2013 07:01:18 am

Oh for the good old days when it cost oneandsix (old money) to get into the kop and ninepence to get in the boys pen.The days when working men went to the match.The days when there were only seats in a small bit of the ground usually occupied by the better off.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #17: Jan 18, 2013 09:01:36 am
      Oh for the good old days when it cost oneandsix (old money) to get into the kop and ninepence to get in the boys pen.The days when working men went to the match.The days when there were only seats in a small bit of the ground usually occupied by the better off.
      People keep asking where is it going wrong ,i have always believed there should be x amount of tickets available at the ticket office for the local family,s ,even people on her talk about our global fan base ,and that is fine ,but the people who made this club into what it is ,have been shafted for far too long ,the very heartbeat of this club is liverpool itself ,and that has been ignored for far too long for the sake of corporate greed.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #18: Jan 18, 2013 09:15:52 am
      People keep asking where is it going wrong ,i have always believed there should be x amount of tickets available at the ticket office for the local family,s ,even people on her talk about our global fan base ,and that is fine ,but the people who made this club into what it is ,have been shafted for far too long ,the very heartbeat of this club is liverpool itself ,and that has been ignored for far too long for the sake of corporate greed.
      Excellent post Andy,the family man and just as important the working man have been screwed regarding the cost of attending a match at Anfield.I think back to my old Dad taking me to Anfield when I was about 8 or 9 years old and it cost him an old sixpence to put me in the boys pen when it was in Kemlyn Road I could be wrong but I think it was a shilling to get into the ground for an adult.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #19: Jan 18, 2013 09:36:12 am
      The world is a more expensive place and full of greedy people - the rich try to get richer and every day person just tries to get by. People want more money to be spent on players - that money needs to come from somewhere - if we want to see the likes of Suarez playing for us then the club needs to generate funds - tickets is one way.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #20: Jan 18, 2013 10:00:41 am
      I think it was a shilling to get into the ground for an adult.
      but that did include a pie and a pint Billy ;D
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #21: Jan 18, 2013 10:53:38 am
      A truly insulting piece in the Express the other day by the lowlife Mick Dennis who spouted on about how he's happy to pay £44 quid to go to Anfield and his message to anyone who doesn't like the ticket prices is 'don't go then'. This guy shouldn't be allowed in tomorrow after his previous efforts which include endless character assassinations against Kenny which date back to many years ago when King Kenny told him to F**k off and also a truly disgraceful attempt to link to the Tom Ademyi incident with the fans singing 'there' only one Luis Suarez' during the Oldham game. This is the same guy who constantly has a pop at BR calling him Brenton Rodgers after David Brent and talks about the Evra/Suarez case using 'details' not mentioned in the final report. Most journos are backing the calls for fairer prices except for this arrogant pr**k.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #22: Jan 18, 2013 06:32:52 pm
      The world is a more expensive place and full of greedy people - the rich try to get richer and every day person just tries to get by. People want more money to be spent on players - that money needs to come from somewhere - if we want to see the likes of Suarez playing for us then the club needs to generate funds - tickets is one way.
      George I will spell it out for you once again,the history book has many many instances of L.F.C. buying players for record club and national record transfer fees.I do not ever recall the club saying they will have to put the price of admission to Anfield because they bought a player for a record fee.Also if you check you will see some of those players were only teenagers when they signed for us.

Quick Reply