Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Steven Gerrard: 'I disagree with Liverpool's youth-only policy'

Read 4982 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Steven Gerrard: 'I disagree with Liverpool's youth-only policy'
      Reply #46: Jan 18, 2013 01:59:22 pm
      Luis backs the skipper "youngsters win you matches, experienced players, Men, win you championships". Actually, i feel the same way as both of them. Unless the ocassional prodigy, youngsters should be inserted slowly into the starting XI.

While I agree with both of them for that season, blooding a group of potential stars at once will obviously lower results but the long term gain could be significant. I think next year we will reap the benefits of Sterling, Suso and Wisdom having this much experience but in terms of league finish this year our squad strength in depth has certainly hurt us.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #47: Jan 18, 2013 02:28:33 pm
      While I agree with both of them for that season, blooding a group of potential stars at once will obviously lower results but the long term gain could be significant. I think next year we will reap the benefits of Sterling, Suso and Wisdom having this much experience but in terms of league finish this year our squad strength in depth has certainly hurt us.

I agree Luke and as I've said before it is great to have youth players coming through and making it in the first team but I think that Gerrard wants what most of us do and that's just 1 or maybe 2 experienced players to help these guys along.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #48: Jan 18, 2013 05:20:18 pm
      Or they could burn out, we have all seen it before.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #49: Jan 18, 2013 05:26:51 pm

Fair point Quico
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #50: Jan 18, 2013 05:56:37 pm
      Sterling looks tired already imho.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #51: Jan 19, 2013 12:14:02 am
      so who does Gerrard want to play alongside most - Alonso again, Lampard, or Sneijder?

Fat Frank is most realistic for mine!

Are you not aware that Gerrard has stated that Alonso is the best midfielder he has ever played with?.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #52: Jan 19, 2013 12:53:42 am
      Are you not aware that Gerrard has stated that Alonso is the best midfielder he has ever played with?.
      Alonso
      A fit Sneijder
      .Lampard

QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #53: Jan 19, 2013 12:55:58 am
      Sterling looks tired already imho.
      To be honest, i just think the phisical aspect of the Premier League has taken a toll on the lads fragile body. His mentality is something else entirely, but I believe he is starting to get frustrated at being constantly outmuscled.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #54: Jan 19, 2013 06:25:00 pm
      Would definitely never take Lampard. There's a reason why Villas-Boas didn't play him that much and the reason is because he didn't fit in with his tactics - which are similar to Brendan's. Too slow I think, and I still don't think he would offer anything new to the team. We have Gerrard and that's good enough, and much better, than having Lampard obviously. Besides, the likes of Henderson are just beginning to show what they're capable of. Replacing the likes of Henderson with a 34 year old who doesn't even fit the ethos of Brendan Rodger's tactics would be foolish.

Quick Reply