Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Manchester United 2-1 Liverpool: In-game & post-match wake-up call

Read 41267 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Re: LIVE: Manchester United v Liverpool
      Reply #644: Jan 13, 2013 03:34:28 pm
      Pity, thought a draw would've been the right result.  We completely dominated the 2nd half.
      Sturridge played well and scored a poachers goal, exactly what we have been missing (SG battled his way to get a shot away for the goal). He also had a great chance to level it after Suarez had fought to get the chance, maybe showed a bit of rust, but we deserved that to go in.
      First half we were really poor, think it showed the Allen/SG/Lucas combination just doesnt work.
      Hope there isn't an over-reaction to this though. Yeah, we lost and that is disappointing, but after going 2 down at least we showed some spirit and should've come away with something. That is a positive for me.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #645: Jan 13, 2013 03:34:33 pm
      Every major game this team has played they have failed, not being a side above us in the League is pretty dire.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #646: Jan 13, 2013 03:34:55 pm
      Correct me if i am wrong, but Sterling needs a months rest and a few reserve games...he did nothing
      Sterling hasn't done much for months now, and he should not be starting massive games like this. He needs to be brought on and nurtured more easily into his role.

He's going to great, just not there yet
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #647: Jan 13, 2013 03:35:06 pm
      FT

Biggest noise from the day at the end there from the Man Utd "faithful". Very tame ground today but very proud of the travelling Liverpool fans.

In the end 2-1, cannot complain. They deserve it. Could have been 3-0 in front at half time. Negatives to take but thankfully the second half showed some positives. Pleased with how the attacking front is being shaped but I think Agger and Skrtel have a lot to answer for in showing that they are what we think they are which they just aren't. Defence is becoming more and more of a concern and I wonder about their contribution to the team.

Agger has been taking things too easy and casual of late as if strikers can't hurt him. Need to put in those early flying and crunching tackles. He has caused us a few goals this season.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #648: Jan 13, 2013 03:35:31 pm
      I know you can't stand Henderson Diego but he didn't really have any time today to have an impact so this is a touch unfair mate.

I know mate, he is nothing to blame today. I was talking more generally though. I don't think he's the answer
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #649: Jan 13, 2013 03:35:42 pm
      The man of the match is the linesman for scum's 2nd goal.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #650: Jan 13, 2013 03:36:05 pm
      Rodgers hesitation in signing Sturridge summertime has cost us dearly . rodgers too interested in raiding his old team .
      That's rubbish. Rodgers tried to take him on loan as he wasn't given the funds to purchase him outright but Sturridge only wanted a permanent move so Rodgers was forced to wait until January when he had funds available.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #651: Jan 13, 2013 03:36:13 pm
      Desperately need a new attacking midfielder and a new winger/wide forward.

Hopefully a new CB too.

Agger & Skrtel are good, but overrated. Shouldn't be immediate first choice for a team aiming for the top.

Downing is the worst joke I've ever seen in a Red shirt. I mean, ever. He's that bad. I never disliked a LFC player that much. He's absolute rubbish in every aspect of his game, and that includes his mentality/personality. A guy made for mid-table "battle".

The only good attacking midfielder in our squad is Gerrard but he's not the same and is playing better deeper. We need someone there. Allen was sh*te but Henderson isn't a much better option - totally unexistent "impact" player. Headless chicken.

I love the comment about Downing and I think the same but about Hendo!? seriously, his passing was simple and he tried to create, at least he was much better than Allen. He has tried to have an impact as soon as possible and as well as he could, he had a more than fair game.

On 5:00 I told myself: how an we expect to win a game with Sterling and Downing as wingers!? It's shocking, fortunately we're ton the right track but BR! WTF!? Sell this utter sh*t Downing and get some another proper winger.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #652: Jan 13, 2013 03:36:18 pm
      The manager got the team slection wrong to begin with as I'd love to know what Henderson has done wrong and Allen right to make the change for this game.
      He can't drop his golden boy Si  now can he ? hendo was Kenny's signing and wouldn't look good for Rodgers.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #653: Jan 13, 2013 03:36:30 pm
      Never said they're the main problem, but look at how many chances RvP had. In a better day he would have had a hat-trick.

The guy gets in between our defenders and none of them actually mark him, it's absolutely ridiculous.

I feel you but we had been sitting so damn deep that their midfield had so much room then with their movement killed us. Also didn't help having a young boy in wisdom playing at the back felt the two in the middle couldn't rely on him to do the job.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #654: Jan 13, 2013 03:36:31 pm
      Well considering when we changed what everyone was screaming for and we played much better you'd have clear evidence that they were right.

Yeah but that was obvious... after it happened.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #655: Jan 13, 2013 03:36:34 pm
      I know mate, he is nothing to blame today. I was talking more generally though. I don't think he's the answer
      Neither do I. We need Masch and Alonso back.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #656: Jan 13, 2013 03:36:41 pm
      There is no shame in losing to this lot, but the fact is that every time this team has had a challenging league match they have failed. Last season we won at Everton and Chelsea for example, this season we get beat every single time.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #657: Jan 13, 2013 03:36:51 pm
      Desperately need a new attacking midfielder and a new winger/wide forward.

Hopefully a new CB too.

Agger & Skrtel are good, but overrated. Shouldn't be immediate first choice for a team aiming for the top.

Downing is the worst joke I've ever seen in a Red shirt. I mean, ever. He's that bad. I never disliked a LFC player that much. He's absolute rubbish in every aspect of his game, and that includes his mentality/personality. A guy made for mid-table "battle".

The only good attacking midfielder in our squad is Gerrard but he's not the same and is playing better deeper. We need someone there. Allen was sh*te but Henderson isn't a much better option - totally unexistent "impact" player. Headless chicken.

That ll do for me.
      Get shot of Downing now ...... f***ing useless.
      Get shot of Henderson now  ...... f***ing useless.

We still have not beaten anyone above us in the table.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #658: Jan 13, 2013 03:37:03 pm
      How much work do we do in training regarding set pieces?

They looked like scoring from every single F***ing one, and for the 2nd goal they had about 5 unmarked players who could have scored.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,498 posts | 233 
      Reply #659: Jan 13, 2013 03:37:55 pm
      Disappointing really, Brendan made a bold change going 4-4-2 at half time and dramatically improved us.  Maybe give that a go for the next few games?
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #660: Jan 13, 2013 03:37:59 pm
      Gutted to be honest.  Thought the team set up was all wrong today.  Why not go five across the middle to deny them space - surely that is basic stuff?

Same old problem - when we get pressed, or subjected to direct balls or ran at in numbers or a counter attack, we look so vulnerable.  I find it hard to believe Brendan has not addressed this yet.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #661: Jan 13, 2013 03:38:44 pm
      Disappointing really, Brendan made a bold change going 4-4-2 at half time and dramatically improved us.  Maybe give that a go for the next few games?

He didn't really go 4 4 2.

Just Suarez played in the Allen role only a bit further forward and much more efffectively.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #662: Jan 13, 2013 03:38:56 pm
      That's rubbish. Rodgers tried to take him on loan as he wasn't given the funds to purchase him outright but Sturridge only wanted a permanent move so Rodgers was forced to wait until January when he had funds available.
      He went and spent money on Allen when it was obvious that we needed another striker. So you're talking bollocks.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #663: Jan 13, 2013 03:38:57 pm
      Downing would struggle to be exempt from criticism in a relegation side. He was appalling in Middlesborough's relegation season 4 years back and seemed to fool us all with a decent year at Aston Villa two years ago. His lack of bravery, bite, passion and consciousness in knowing what role he is to do is utterly dire.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #664: Jan 13, 2013 03:39:29 pm
      Gutted to be honest.  Thought the team set up was all wrong today.  Why not go five across the middle to deny them space - surely that is basic stuff?

Same old problem - when we get pressed, or subjected to direct balls or ran at in numbers or a counter attack, we look so vulnerable.  I find it hard to believe Brendan has not addressed this yet.

Hard to believe that he's "not addressing it". Maybe he just doesn't have the players to address it properly.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #665: Jan 13, 2013 03:39:33 pm
      Yeah but that was obvious... after it happened.

Not sure what your point is Jabv, everyone was screaming it so it was obvious to them before it happened. Therefore Brendan got his team selection wrong and set us up completely wrong, he sees us in training so what we all saw after 10mins into the game (check the thread) Brendan needs to have the capability of picking up in training or we'll have more performances like the first half to endure and I can't take many of those.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #666: Jan 13, 2013 03:40:43 pm
      Just Suarez played in the Allen role only a bit further forward and much more efffectively.

You're not one for usually understating things Si but I think that's one of the biggest I've seen. Suarez showed Allen a way of playing he simply isn't capable of and why he should never be seen as our answer to the number 10 role, never.

Quick Reply