Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Loyal servants but time to go?

Read 4208 times
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Loyal servants but time to go?
      Reply #23: Oct 10, 2007 11:26:04 am
      Was a bit suprised to read that comment about Veronin as he has done what has been asked of him... scored goals and not only that - he's worked his nuts off for the team too.

As I clarified in my later post, I'm not saying we should sell him, just that if one of them was to make way it would be him for me.

I'm of the same school of thought as Rafa in that we need to have different options to be able to use in different types of games. In terms of overall skill I wouldn't put Voronin at the bottom of the pile out of our current strikers, but in terms of offering a different option I feel he's the one we could replace with someone better.

Crouch whilst not our best striker offers a completely different option in terms of hold up play, as far as I'm concerned the only player who comes close to him is Dean Ashton. Also whilst not being very good at scoring with his head he plays some very astute little flicks to play team mates in. As I've said before the role he plays is becoming less & less needed at this club, but until the day we don't need it at all I think he should stay as although there are better all round players out there I don't think there's anyone better for this role.

It's a phrase that's used often about Dirk Kuyt, but workhorse is the best way to describe him. I can't think of any other player who puts in the effort he does, giving defenders no time on the ball which often forces mistakes, so again for the role he plays I don't think we could get anyone better.

As for Torres I don't think anyone's arguing that we'd need to replace him. He's the striker that brings that bit of flair to our front line, and can create something out of nothing. Personally I think there are one or two players that could do the job a little better, but not so much better that it's worth the money which would be involved.

Which leaves Voronin. A bit of a powerhouse player who can score some too, I'd say probably the closest we have to a natural goalscorer. But whilst he may be the closest we have, he isn't a natural goalscorer, the way he laid off that golden opportunity to Gerrard against Spurs is one example. As I said before, he might not be the worst out of our strikers, but in terms of what he brings to the side, he is the one we could definitely replace with someone better for his role in the squad.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #24: Oct 10, 2007 11:27:00 am
      the only person ever sold by rafa in January was Kromkamp i think

Kromkamp was actually bought in January, then sold the following summer.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #25: Oct 10, 2007 01:17:31 pm
      I dont think risse should go, just look at how much of an impact he make in the marseille game! he pushed forward more than bloody leto and the rest of them during the time he was on. shows his heads in the right place, not like everyone else. veronin is a fantastic player and you can see he is working his ass off and pushing forward, hes got strength that guy does. i dont think hyypia will leave cos he was given the option of staying by rafa not long ago and he said he had no desire to leave. im a huge fan of agger more than hyypia but he is strong down the back aswell
      « Last Edit: Oct 10, 2007 01:22:10 pm by DOBBS83 »
      KopSecret
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts | -1 
      Reply #26: Oct 10, 2007 01:23:51 pm
      Hyypia should definitely stay - he's quality and a willing and able squad player devoted to the club, getting another defender is one thing but getting rid of Hyypia is sheer folly.

Crouchie should go, his attitude this season is all wrong - I can understand a player not liking going from one of the first choices to squad player status - but his performances are truly abysmal these days
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #27: Oct 10, 2007 11:44:51 pm
      Riise (Villa??) and Hyppia (Fulham interest) come to mind...

Would it be wrong to think about selling them in the January window (while there value is still relatively high) and Rafa to be looking for alternatives in the european market now

Not at all.  I would imagine Hyypia would attract attention from many clubs who would want somebody to provide some stability and try and perhaps save them from relegation.  (Although Derby are fu**ed)

As long as they get replaced I would let Riise, Hyypia and Crouch all go.  No room for sentiment in football and this season, all three have been noticeable that they are no longer amongst the best players at the club.

The bar has simply been raised in terms of quality and they are finding themselves a couple of notches under it.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #28: Oct 11, 2007 11:07:53 am
      Not at all.  I would imagine Hyypia would attract attention from many clubs who would want somebody to provide some stability and try and perhaps save them from relegation.  (Although Derby are fu**ed)

As long as they get replaced I would let Riise, Hyypia and Crouch all go.  No room for sentiment in football and this season, all three have been noticeable that they are no longer amongst the best players at the club.

The bar has simply been raised in terms of quality and they are finding themselves a couple of notches under it.

Fully agree mate.

Quick Reply