Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Oldham 3-2 Liverpool: In-game & post-match debating

Read 37601 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Oldham 3-2 Liverpool: In-game & post-match debating
      Reply #736: Jan 28, 2013 08:35:11 pm
      Disgrace, total disgrace! Abysmal result and 1 or 2 players could have sealed their fate after that performance. Coates was shocking and will probably be off now. Robinson was shambolic, looked like a Sunday league player at best and then he was telling Suarez to F**k off when Luis was having a go at him for having a shot when there were much better option, he had an awful attitude as soon as the game kicked off. Jones, F**k me what was he doing?! my 1 year old niece would have stood a better chance of keeping hold of that ball, spilled in on a few occasions and it ended up costing us. Suarez was trying his best but he wasn't going to be as effective in that position. Thought Stevie was our best player, at least he showed some god damn desire to get back into the game. They let themselves down, again, just like against Mansfield when we didn't even to get past them.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #737: Jan 28, 2013 08:45:18 pm

....  and Brendan blames the players that he actually picked FFS.
      Not many Liverpool Managers except Woy go around doing that.
      BR hasnt read The Little Red LFC Book Of Rules.

He has read the FSG sound bite one though.

The players are to blame they underperformed against a side way below them. They were outfought out battled, now why should they be wrapped in cotton wool and told its someone elses fault. Quite simply fook them. They should be out putting there hands up for lettingthe club down. The likes of you would be jumping on the players if Kenny was gaffer for letting him down but because its a man in charge you probably dont want then every chance you get to have a pop at him you take.

I didnt hear his interview after the game but if he did blame the players I salute his honesty because they were to blame
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #738: Jan 29, 2013 02:42:25 am
      Stoke and Oldham games both show our need for a physical presence in the midfield. Mascherano where are you...?

I do not understand why we are not going after Diame. That should be a priority in my judgement.

Yesterday loss was down to team selection and more importantly tactics: We had 2 young lads in the midfield... Then we placed 4 forwards: Borini, Sturridge, Suarez and Sterling = all of which were competing for the same center forward space.

The only 2 players we have that can provide any physical presence in midfield in my opinion are Gerrard and Jonjo (and maybe Lucas). However, none of those 3 were in the starting 11.

I think we gave away yesterday's game. I have been a big supporter of BR and I am still a big supporter. However, as far as yesterday game was concerned I did not appreciate how BR pushed the blame on the players. I think he bears a large part of the blame for yesterday's performance. The setup from the get go was flawed.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #739: Jan 29, 2013 04:15:39 am
      Stoke and Oldham games both show our need for a physical presence in the midfield. Mascherano where are you...?

I do not understand why we are not going after Diame. That should be a priority in my judgement.

Yesterday loss was down to team selection and more importantly tactics: We had 2 young lads in the midfield... Then we placed 4 forwards: Borini, Sturridge, Suarez and Sterling = all of which were competing for the same center forward space.

The only 2 players we have that can provide any physical presence in midfield in my opinion are Gerrard and Jonjo (and maybe Lucas). However, none of those 3 were in the starting 11.

I think we gave away yesterday's game. I have been a big supporter of BR and I am still a big supporter. However, as far as yesterday game was concerned I did not appreciate how BR pushed the blame on the players. I think he bears a large part of the blame for yesterday's performance. The setup from the get go was flawed.

I agree. As I posted somewhere else, we had 0 presence in midfield and our defense was too exposed. Most people are blaiming the defenders (check out Coates and Robinson's threads) but altough they messed up a lot, our midfield did NOTHING, which i find to be worse.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #740: Jan 29, 2013 05:49:03 am
      Robinson shouted at Suarez? Not surprised at all and I've seen it coming and I thought it would be Sterling.  I will go as far as to say the team has 3-camps at the moment; the senior camp, junior camp and the neutral camp. The moment I saw Suarez shouted at Sterling a few times and there was hardly any teamwork between the two on the pitch suggests that things are not all well. Sterling did not retaliate, most probably he's a nice lad but one could see his facial expression that he's not happy with the shouting from Suarez and most probably Robinson a bit short fuse retaliated easily.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying what Robinson did was right while Suarez, as a great player, should show the younger players how it's done and to provide guidance and not the shouting. Suarez could have shown better respect regardless of the player is 19 or 39 years old. Suarez could easily have pulled Sterling to a side at half time or full time and have a pep talk with him how things can be improved, I'm sure Sterling will be more than happy to listen. I could roughly imagine what's happening on the pitch, I'm sure BR could see it and I expect BR to sort it out this very moment. BR the ball is in your court.

Well, maybe I'm just imagining things too much.   

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #741: Jan 29, 2013 12:18:16 pm
      Exactly what I think about Rodgers and this match.
      He has much blame to be put on him.

http://liverpool.theoffside.com/2013/1/29/3927224/brendan-rodgers-blames-youth-skrtel-for-oldham-loss-team-selection
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #742: Jan 29, 2013 02:44:52 pm
      and if you check the match thread, everyone and his dog was crying out for Carra to come in, that kind of thing does raise questions about Brendan for sure.

I think Carra has nicked the starting spot off of Skrtel mate. I expect to see him play against both Arsenal and City this week.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #743: Jan 29, 2013 02:46:58 pm
      Robinson shouted at Suarez? Not surprised at all and I've seen it coming and I thought it would be Sterling.  I will go as far as to say the team has 3-camps at the moment; the senior camp, junior camp and the neutral camp. The moment I saw Suarez shouted at Sterling a few times and there was hardly any teamwork between the two on the pitch suggests that things are not all well. Sterling did not retaliate, most probably he's a nice lad but one could see his facial expression that he's not happy with the shouting from Suarez and most probably Robinson a bit short fuse retaliated easily.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying what Robinson did was right while Suarez, as a great player, should show the younger players how it's done and to provide guidance and not the shouting. Suarez could have shown better respect regardless of the player is 19 or 39 years old. Suarez could easily have pulled Sterling to a side at half time or full time and have a pep talk with him how things can be improved, I'm sure Sterling will be more than happy to listen. I could roughly imagine what's happening on the pitch, I'm sure BR could see it and I expect BR to sort it out this very moment. BR the ball is in your court.

Well, maybe I'm just imagining things too much.   

I wouldn't read too much into any of that fella. It's just football I think. I actually quite liuked that Robinson told Suarez to F Off as it shows a bit of spirit and you want to see the players angry/upset when they're losing.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #744: Jan 29, 2013 02:49:03 pm
      I stayed off here until the hurt lessened some, and i am now much calmer. All I have to say is, I posted in the pre match thread, the midfield was far too lightweight to start what we all knew was going to be a blood and thunder game.  Brendan is no stranger to the F.A. cup and physical conflicts against teams from lower divisions. So for me, there are no excuses. Had we started with our strongest side, we likely would have been on top from the outset. As it transpired, we were always chasing the game and it wasn't until Gerrard and Shelvey came on, did we really get on top. After the Mansfield debacle, you'd think the manager had learnt a lesson, but either he didn't or he had his mind on the Arse tomorrow. O.K. the prem is the more important comp for us at the moment, but if you don't take the F.A. cup serious then why risk any of the senior players ? Either go out full strength to win, or play the second string and hope. Half and half is niether here nor there as you're vulnerable to the old banana skin, and still risking players getting serious injuries against over physical, adrenalin boosted oposition. I know Brendan can't be responsible for Jones's cock ups, or the attitude of some of the players who seemed to think they didn't have to do any of the donkey work because they play for a superior team. I hear the players who needed a roasting, got one, but at the end of the day I think Brendan got his selection wrong, and once again the oposition was hugely underestimated. Strength in depth ? just a bit in the middle of the park would have helped.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #745: Jan 29, 2013 04:23:48 pm
      I think Carra has nicked the starting spot off of Skrtel mate. I expect to see him play against both Arsenal and City this week.

Totally agree and feel it's justified on recent performances.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #746: Jan 29, 2013 06:10:07 pm
      I stayed off here until the hurt lessened some, and i am now much calmer.
      All I have to say is, I posted in the pre match thread, the midfield was far too lightweight to start what we all knew was going to be a blood and thunder game. 
      Brendan is no stranger to the F.A. cup and physical conflicts against teams from lower divisions.
      So for me, there are no excuses.
      Had we started with our strongest side, we likely would have been on top from the outset.
      As it transpired, we were always chasing the game and it wasn't until Gerrard and Shelvey came on, did we really get on top.
      After the Mansfield debacle, you'd think the manager had learnt a lesson, but either he didn't or he had his mind on the Arse tomorrow. O.K. the prem is the more important comp for us at the moment, but if you don't take the F.A. cup serious then why risk any of the senior players ?
      Either go out full strength to win, or play the second string and hope.
      Half and half is niether here nor there as you're vulnerable to the old banana skin, and still risking players getting serious injuries against over physical, adrenalin boosted oposition.
      I know Brendan can't be responsible for Jones's cock ups, or the attitude of some of the players who seemed to think they didn't have to do any of the donkey work because they play for a superior team.
      I hear the players who needed a roasting, got one, but at the end of the day I think Brendan got his selection wrong, and once again the oposition was hugely underestimated.
      Strength in depth ? just a bit in the middle of the park would have helped.

Good Post Gerns.

Think I should have stayed of till I calmed down.

Mustn't get angry that we broke another record that stood from 1959 of losing away in the FA Cup to a team two divisons below us.

You make some excellent points.

Quick Reply