Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Reds win down under: LFC 2-0 Melbourne Victory (Australia)

Read 34614 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Reds win down under: LFC 2-0 Melbourne Victory (Australia)
      Reply #322: Jul 24, 2013 02:15:09 pm
      Well, that came straight from a guy who was at the game, so I dunno.

Yeah. No shock that someone talked sh*t on Twitter then.

Suarez walked with Aspas, Luis Alberto and Coates at the back of the pack during the lap of honour. Many people gave him sh*t because his body language was "off" but I promise you he put in as much as he could during training and tonight's game. He looked knackered but was sliding around during training and took part in every exercise.

Oh and Danny Agger is vice captain. I think that's obvious from the stuff that happened this week. Instantly made captain when he came on and led the lap of honour with Stevie at full time.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #323: Jul 24, 2013 02:15:20 pm
      Suarez broke away from the team at the end to sign fans' shirts.

Luis out.

I commented on the jet-lag aspect but Luis once again confounds opinion by his obvious feeling for supporters, the man is a contradiction.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #324: Jul 24, 2013 02:21:52 pm
      I can't see how Suarez signed autographs. The players were never close to the fans when they did the lap of honour.

I took a second to look around while singing and it hit me how amazing it was. Happy tears filled the eyes. Unbelievable night.

Watched him run over and sign some on the TV, definitely happened. Glad you got to go mate!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #325: Jul 24, 2013 02:25:45 pm
      On a more upbeat note

This is what 95,000 Liverpool supporters singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' sounds like

95,000 Liverpool fans singing "You'll Never Walk Alone".

Thank you Oz
      if you want to know what the noise was like from the Kop in the 60's and 70's that's as close as you are going to get.
      I can only imagine how much this meant to those people there.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #326: Jul 24, 2013 02:28:24 pm
      My missus laughed I was more likely to cry.during ynwa then the birth of my child ;D. Very emotional tonight .
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #327: Jul 24, 2013 02:28:35 pm
      Other than all of the body language experts on here, how was the football? I couldn't watch due to the time zone issue. Read on Twitter that Allen had a pretty good game and the atmosphere was amazing.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #328: Jul 24, 2013 02:32:40 pm
      My missus laughed I was more likely to cry.during ynwa then the birth of my child ;D. Very emotional tonight .
      I had to wait until I was in my 40's before I saw Macca live at the Queens dock I can only assume it was similar for lots of Aussie Reds incredibly emotional but a memory you can take to your grave.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,276 posts | 4937 
      Reply #329: Jul 24, 2013 02:33:05 pm
      Going to watch this on the club channel when it's on.

By all accounts Allen had a decent game then?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #330: Jul 24, 2013 02:35:57 pm
      Going to watch this on the club channel when it's on.

By all accounts Allen had a decent game then?

Yup, looked back to the initial form he showed after he signed, hopefully his form continues improving could be a big season for the little fella.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,521 posts | 1509 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #331: Jul 24, 2013 03:08:47 pm
      Other than all of the body language experts on here, how was the football? I couldn't watch due to the time zone issue. Read on Twitter that Allen had a pretty good game and the atmosphere was amazing.
      Hendo continues to be tepid
      Wisdom is a beast and will eat Papadopolous' family
      Allen was tidy with no end product
      Enrique continues to exasperate me with his long balls down the line
      Sterling and Ibe are going to win us the Champions League on their own within the next 6 years
      Borini can't get into  games and therefore tries too hard when he does
      Gerrard energetic
      Keepers redundant
      Johnson didn't have a bad game - which in my book is a plus (not saying he was great)
      Agger class
      Lucas and the rest were solid
      Suarez continues to be a walking contradiction on legs
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #332: Jul 24, 2013 03:18:22 pm
      Hendo continues to be tepid Played Well
      Wisdom is a beast and will eat Papadopolous' family Don't get carried away
      Allen was tidy with no end product Set up Stevie's goal with lovely attacking midfield play and pass
      Enrique continues to exasperate me with his long balls down the line Solid as usuall
      Sterling and Ibe are going to win us the Champions League on their own within the next 6 years We'll need more than that
      Borini can't get into  games and therefore tries too hard when he does Poor first half decent second
      Gerrard energetic All over the pitch
      Keepers redundant Couple of good saves not much to do
      Johnson didn't have a bad game - which in my book is a plus (not saying he was great) One of our poorer performers
      Agger class Yes
      Lucas and the rest were solid Yes except Downing who was useless
      Suarez continues to be a walking contradiction on legs World Class
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Reply #333: Jul 24, 2013 03:20:58 pm
      For anyone who did not get to see the game, this site has a couple nice highlight compilations of this match. 

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2013/07/24/melbourne-victory-vs-liverpool-2013-friendly-highlights-mcg-0-2-gerrard-aspas-goals-video/
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,396 posts | 2823 
      Reply #334: Jul 24, 2013 03:21:54 pm
      The Allen, Hendo and Gerrard combination in midfield was a disaster really apart from the times Gerrard got on the ball. Looked really open and quite a few times their midfield players were driving into empty space.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #335: Jul 24, 2013 03:22:00 pm
      Allen was tidy with no end product

Really? so the dribble and assist for the first goal constitutes "no end product"?????
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #336: Jul 24, 2013 03:29:37 pm
      The Allen, Hendo and Gerrard combination in midfield was a disaster really apart from the times Gerrard got on the ball. Looked really open and quite a few times their midfield players were driving into empty space.

Thought they did well considering the handful of times they have played together in midfield. None of them can cut it at DM though. With only Lucas that can play that role we really need a backup DM.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #337: Jul 24, 2013 03:33:24 pm

Much appreciated, was just about to ask for this.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,521 posts | 1509 
      Reply #338: Jul 24, 2013 03:39:42 pm
      Hendo continues to be tepid Played Well you're easily pleased
      Wisdom is a beast and will eat Papadopolous' family Don't get carried away that's ok, I wasn't being literal
      Allen was tidy with no end product Set up Stevie's goal with lovely attacking midfield play and pass the pass was meant for Borini
      Enrique continues to exasperate me with his long balls down the line Solid as usuall his long balls down the wing infuriate me
      Sterling and Ibe are going to win us the Champions League on their own within the next 6 years We'll need more than that again, I wasn't being literal
      Borini can't get into  games and therefore tries too hard when he does Poor first half decent second yup - though not difficult judging by that first half performance
      Gerrard energetic All over the pitch not bad for 33
      Keepers redundant Couple of good saves not much to do pretty much
      Johnson didn't have a bad game - which in my book is a plus (not saying he was great) One of our poorer performers in general yes
      Agger class Yes yup
      Lucas and the rest were solid Yes except Downing who was useless not as frustrating as Hendo
      Suarez continues to be a walking contradiction on legs World Class
      agreed
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,521 posts | 1509 
      Reply #339: Jul 24, 2013 03:40:24 pm
      Really? so the dribble and assist for the first goal constitutes "no end product"?????
      That was a pass meant for Borini - even the commentator said as much. I also didn't see much of a dribble either. Not saying he was poor, I actually think he'll be a good signing for us. I'm just saying he's got to have more of an impact on games
      « Last Edit: Jul 24, 2013 03:49:32 pm by Rush »
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #340: Jul 24, 2013 03:51:33 pm
      Disagree. Thought Allen/Gerrard/Hendo played well together. We had a far superior forward line when Lucas was on.

I thought Henderson was pretty awful and I'm usually fairly supportive of him and urging people to have patience. I honestly think the coaches need to pin him to the ground and shave his hair off, that way he'll get stuck in without worrying about messing his fringe up! For a big lad, he comes across as a right fairy sometimes. 

Still liking the look of Aspas, not just because of his goal, although it did highlight his knack of being in the right place at the right time but his movement on the whole and the fact that he's looking to receive the ball all the time and not hiding. Whether he will score a lot of goals remains to be seen but I have a feeling he's going to make an impact with his all-round play.

I could go on but it's only a friendly so not worth reading too much into. Wisdom, Ibe, Sterling and Gerrard were all very good, the rest were pretty steady and it's encouraging to know that we still have Coutinho and Sturridge to add some teeth to the team. Be nice if we can keep these teeth as well...

To echo what others have said, well done to the Aussie fans, fantastic turnout and atmosphere.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #341: Jul 24, 2013 03:52:06 pm
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #342: Jul 24, 2013 03:54:53 pm
      I thought Henderson was pretty awful and I'm usually fairly supportive of him and urging people to have patience. I honestly think the coaches need to pin him to the ground and shave his hair off, that way he'll get stuck in without worrying about messing his fringe up! For a big lad, he comes across as a right fairy sometimes. 

Still liking the look of Aspas, not just because of his goal, although it did highlight his knack of being in the right place at the right time but his movement on the whole and the fact that he's looking to receive the ball all the time and not hiding. Whether he will score a lot of goals remains to be seen but I have a feeling he's going to make an impact with his all-round play.

I could go on but it's only a friendly so not worth reading too much into. Wisdom, Ibe, Sterling and Gerrard were all very good, the rest were pretty steady and it's encouraging to know that we still have Coutinho and Sturridge to add some teeth to the team. Be nice if we can keep these teeth as well...

To echo what others have said, well done to the Aussie fans, fantastic turnout and atmosphere.

Aspas didn't score it was an OG. He does look like a livewire though.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,347 posts | 6393 
      Reply #343: Jul 24, 2013 03:58:29 pm
      Think Sterling and Ibe are going to make each other better, plus they seem to have a good understanding of each other on the pitch. I still give the edge to Ibe though...he looks the more well rounded player to me.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #344: Jul 24, 2013 04:01:09 pm

Yes he did and no it wasn't.

55 seconds:

Aspas Goal Liverpool Vs Melbourne Victory

Quick Reply