Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 405391 times
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #1081: Apr 28, 2014 10:28:09 am
      We urgently need player whit similar characteristic in case he is not having a day. Rakitic came to my mind yesterday
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1082: Apr 28, 2014 10:49:55 am
      Something was seriously wrong with our players yesterday. On the occasions when Chelsea players eventually ran at our defence, Flanagan let people run past him and then walked back, Coutinho did the same as did Johnson among others. Chelsea didn't deserve to win that match but neither did we really.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,307 posts | 2851 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1083: Apr 28, 2014 06:35:05 pm
      Was very poor yesterday but Christ lets not write him off hes had a great season
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1084: Apr 28, 2014 07:46:51 pm
      In common with quite a few of our players Coutinho is starting to look a little leggy. Had we had any type of squad whatsoever, then I'm fairly sure that Coutinho, Allen, Gerrard, Flanaghan, Johnson, Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge would have benefitted from playing less minutes. As it is though, we (or Brendan anyway) has been left in a situation where he really only has 14 or so usable players.

If we eventually don't win the title, the lack of depth will be the chief reason IMHO. For me the blame would then be equally divided between the owners, silly bollocks Ayre and the "transfer committee".   
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Reply #1085: Apr 28, 2014 10:36:35 pm
      In common with quite a few of our players Coutinho is starting to look a little leggy. Had we had any type of squad whatsoever, then I'm fairly sure that Coutinho, Allen, Gerrard, Flanaghan, Johnson, Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge would have benefitted from playing less minutes. As it is though, we (or Brendan anyway) has been left in a situation where he really only has 14 or so usable players.

If we eventually don't win the title, the lack of depth will be the chief reason IMHO. For me the blame would then be equally divided between the owners, silly bollocks Ayre and the "transfer committee".   

Nah I don't buy the they had to play every week and need a rest. 1 game a week!! even I could manage that and I'm no elite athlete.! I'm afraid Coutinho has a habit of inconsistency world beater one game and piss poor the next. But you are right when our first teamers are having a off day there is no one on the bench to replace them.

Let's see what Ayres can conjure up over the summer (fingers and toes crossed).

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #1086: May 02, 2014 03:51:59 pm
      Nah I don't buy the they had to play every week and need a rest. 1 game a week!! even I could manage that and I'm no elite athlete.! I'm afraid Coutinho has a habit of inconsistency world beater one game and piss poor the next. But you are right when our first teamers are having a off day there is no one on the bench to replace them.

Let's see what Ayres can conjure up over the summer (fingers and toes crossed).

I don't think I've ever seen the lad put in a piss poor performance....  He's been a bit anonymous in some games.  Sometimes he tries too hard and forces passes and shots when they aren't really on, but that is down to inexperience.  I criticized him a bit when he first started playing as a CM because he wasn't bringing enough to the team on the defensive side of the ball.  However, he has dramatically improved that side of his game over the past few months and he has actually become one of our best contributors on the defensive side of the ball the way he presses, harries, and nips in to steal the ball back in attacking positions. 

The summer break will be good for him.  It will give him a chance to recharge his batteries and he will come back stronger both physically and mentally.  I have all the confidence in the world that Coutinho is going to become one of the best players in the world in the next few years!!  He has the talent, he has the ability, and he has the mentality to boot!! 
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1087: May 02, 2014 04:00:01 pm

Young Player Is Inconsistent Shocker!!
      See Above posts for more detail.

:D :D >:D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1088: May 02, 2014 04:04:42 pm
      Young Player Is Inconsistent Shocker!!
      See Above posts for more detail.

:D :D >:D

Never known that to happen before eh Rodders, I mean how dare a young lad have an off game at such a critical time - sell him  :f_steam:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1089: May 02, 2014 04:20:44 pm
      Never known that to happen before eh Rodders, I mean how dare a young lad have an off game at such a critical time - sell him  :f_steam:

Against that defence without proper movement from our other midfielders who did people expect him to pass to? Being creative is a 2 way street you need the runner before you can pick the pass and unfortunately our lack of movement was a clear issue from early on. As much as I like Lucas this game really did highlight his poor fit in that right hand side of the diamond role against teams that come with a plan to sit deep.

Joe Allen also must shoulder some of the blame for not making the runs and our lads in wide areas also, but we'll live and learn from it. I thought Chelsea would be the toughest nut to crack out of all our remaining games a long time ago and it was hardly a stroke of genius to see that. You learn most from your failures and it was a harsh lesson to learn at this time but hopefully that experience will serve us well in the future.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1090: May 02, 2014 04:25:25 pm
      He's a terrific player and will be absolutely awesome for us but he needs to work on his consistency and his shooting but he's young an dis improving all the time.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1091: May 02, 2014 05:18:23 pm
      Against that defence without proper movement from our other midfielders who did people expect him to pass to? Being creative is a 2 way street you need the runner before you can pick the pass and unfortunately our lack of movement was a clear issue from early on. As much as I like Lucas this game really did highlight his poor fit in that right hand side of the diamond role against teams that come with a plan to sit deep.

Joe Allen also must shoulder some of the blame for not making the runs and our lads in wide areas also, but we'll live and learn from it. I thought Chelsea would be the toughest nut to crack out of all our remaining games a long time ago and it was hardly a stroke of genius to see that. You learn most from your failures and it was a harsh lesson to learn at this time but hopefully that experience will serve us well in the future.

Exactly Luke.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,293 posts | 4939 
      Reply #1092: May 02, 2014 09:04:09 pm
      I don't think I've ever seen the lad put in a piss poor performance....

You haven't Harry because it hasn't happened.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1093: May 02, 2014 09:40:07 pm
      You haven't Harry because it hasn't happened.

Didn't think he was that good against Chelsea to be honest. Of course the rest of the team wasn't either but still...

Rarely happens though to be fair.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #1094: May 02, 2014 10:18:51 pm
      It's testament to the quality of this lad that so much is expected of him at such a young age. I don't think he had a particularly poor game against Chelsea, just seemed to force things a bit much, knowing that most of the weight was on his shoulders to unlock the defence.

What a valuable part of our squad, he is. Not just his own abilities but I've seen a huge improvement in Sterling's game since the Brazilian arrived, especially when played in a similar position.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Reply #1095: May 02, 2014 10:22:55 pm
      Didn't think he was that good against Chelsea to be honest. Of course the rest of the team wasn't either but still...

Rarely happens though to be fair.

I may have been a bit harsh in my wording but I still stick with the belief that be it due to age, experience or over compensating Couts does occasionally not produce the performances we know he can. The last two matches against Norwich and Chelsea being prime examples.
      Having said all that I would still always rather have him in the team than not.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #1096: May 07, 2014 06:21:41 pm
      Well did not get picked for the WC this year

what a shame
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #1097: May 07, 2014 06:29:22 pm
      Well did not get picked for the WC this year

what a shame
      Their loss.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1098: May 07, 2014 06:29:31 pm
      Most creative Brazilian in the league and doesn't even get selected for a friendly, let alone WC. Disgraceful really, especially when you consider the ineffective Paulinho and Willian getting picked before him.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1099: May 07, 2014 08:15:04 pm
      Shame he's missed out but it was expected as he had not been involved with the Brazilian squad in ages. I personally think he's more creative than all the midfielders called up. I also believe he was overlooked because of his inconsistencies.

Thing is, Coutinho's inconsistency is mainly down to the different positions he plays. Playing as a wide forward or the box - box role on either side of Gerrard dampens his ability. He is simply a #10, nothing else. Whenever he played as our #10 he becomes our main ball playing player and links up midfield and attack. I'm not even sure he's had a bad game playing as our main playmaker.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,377 posts | 6403 
      Reply #1100: May 07, 2014 08:37:23 pm
      Bad for him, good for us. He should be fresh and with a point to prove when the season starts.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,293 posts | 4939 
      Reply #1101: May 07, 2014 08:39:36 pm
      Most creative Brazilian in the league and doesn't even get selected for a friendly, let alone WC. Disgraceful really, especially when you consider the ineffective Paulinho and Willian getting picked before him.

I agree that Phil should be in the squad but Paulinho is a totally different player and Willian has been very good this season.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #1102: May 07, 2014 08:40:50 pm
      While it sucks he is not going to the WC it is good for us because it lessens his chance of getting hurt in summer.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1103: May 08, 2014 02:10:10 am
      He has two more WC to aim for in his career. And he will get there one day.

Good for us though. Looks like he could use a long rest to recharge.

Quick Reply