Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 403961 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #2093: Jul 08, 2016 02:40:15 am
      Watch how Ozil played today vs France... that's what I want to see from Coutinho, he is more than capable.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #2094: Jul 08, 2016 10:29:43 am
      Watch how Ozil played today vs France... that's what I want to see from Coutinho, he is more than capable.

Ozils range of passing and vision is far beyond Coutinho. I love Phil but he isn't a patch on Ozil, not yet anyway.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2095: Jul 08, 2016 12:04:44 pm
      Ozils range of passing and vision is far beyond Coutinho. I love Phil but he isn't a patch on Ozil, not yet anyway.

Yeah, but I wasn't talking about the range of passing, sorry, just how Ozil was everywhere, that's how I like to see our #10 play tbh. And Coutinho's vision is probably one of his stand out attributes imo.

friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #2096: Jul 08, 2016 01:13:49 pm
      Yeah, but I wasn't talking about the range of passing, sorry, just how Ozil was everywhere, that's how I like to see our #10 play tbh. And Coutinho's vision is probably one of his stand out attributes imo.

Yeah I agree with you, I just mean I think Ozils first time passes and decision making are a notch ahead of Coutinhos. I don't think it helps him being played from the left either, I would definitely like to see him played as a CAM next season.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2097: Jul 08, 2016 10:27:54 pm
      You're eyes are plastered shut if you think Henderson is getting a free pass.

Of course he does.  He was absolutely useless for almost the entire season (even before his injury) and yet when the Europa final came around everyone was saying "can he start?  we might need him to start, is he fit, is he?!" as if him playing was going to help us or something. :roll:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2098: Jul 08, 2016 10:41:11 pm
      Of course he does.  He was absolutely useless for almost the entire season (even before his injury) and yet when the Europa final came around everyone was saying "can he start?  we might need him to start, is he fit, is he?!" as if him playing was going to help us or something. :roll:

Wish you'd stop saying "everybody" said or did something when it's bollocks. From what I can remember loads of people were worried that he might start if fit, not that they wanted him to.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2099: Jul 08, 2016 11:51:33 pm
      Evidently he switched agents but his former agent was in the same management group owned by Kia Joorabchian so its basically an internal transfer within the same agency he has been at all along.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2100: Jul 09, 2016 02:16:43 am

Bollocks. As one of the few on here on who defend Henderson I can tell you it was very much the opposite. Very few want him hear the starting 11. Saying Henderson gets a free pass is complete and utter rubbish. It's the opposite. A player who we are statistically proven to be better with in the team gets constant calls to be dropped, suicidal claims and trust me you're not the only one.

Anyway, Phil seems to have drunken from the poison chalice and his agent wants him out. £65 million or no dice I say, he's on a long term deal, F**k the agent.
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #2101: Jul 09, 2016 04:38:50 pm
      Preparation for grueling preseason. First step - haircut:  ;D

https://twitter.com/ViktorFagerLFC/status/751799643500142592
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2102: Aug 01, 2016 02:57:28 pm
      So, I'm hoping for a better season, but I'm slightly worried that he'll b e kept as a left forward. Are we gonna get another inconsistent season of Coutinho on the left, cutting in and taking wild shots, scoring 6-7 wonder goals and being voted, player of the season? I'm not sure I want to see this anymore, I feel it's a detriment to our team as well as to Coutinho and the reason why he is inconsistent. 

Wide players are generally in and out of the game and not particularly the focal points, you want them to support the full backs , make runs behind the opposition defence, or to be good at 1v1's and attack their full backs, Coutinho certainty lack these traits doesn't he?

He is a playmaker/AMC, he has exceptional awareness when there are players in front of him making runs beyond, the ability to ball carry from deep and turn defence into attack is another great trait he has. He should be deeper, roaming and involved in the game as much as possible.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,260 posts | 8582 
      Reply #2103: Aug 01, 2016 04:23:36 pm
      So, I'm hoping for a better season, but I'm slightly worried that he'll b e kept as a left forward. Are we gonna get another inconsistent season of Coutinho on the left, cutting in and taking wild shots, scoring 6-7 wonder goals and being voted, player of the season? I'm not sure I want to see this anymore, I feel it's a detriment to our team as well as to Coutinho and the reason why he is inconsistent. 

Wide players are generally in and out of the game and not particularly the focal points, you want them to support the full backs , make runs behind the opposition defence, or to be good at 1v1's and attack their full backs, Coutinho certainty lack these traits doesn't he?

He is a playmaker/AMC, he has exceptional awareness when there are players in front of him making runs beyond, the ability to ball carry from deep and turn defence into attack is another great trait he has. He should be deeper, roaming and involved in the game as much as possible.

So where do you play Firmino?

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2104: Aug 01, 2016 04:38:50 pm

I think Firmino is far better playing higher up, he comes alive in and around the box, his movement is exceptional and makes a lot of runs behind the opposition defence. I really would play him anywhere across the front line (preferably #9), but we have a lot of competition there, from Mane, Sturridge, Ings and Origi, even Lallana too.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #2105: Aug 02, 2016 09:23:37 am
      I do agree with the above that Coutinho should be played as a proper number 10 but it's difficult to fit him in there with Firmino. Firmino is definitely better either behind the striker or even as a false 9. I really don't know how we are best set up to make use of all the players we have, there's likely to be some pissed off players come the end of the season unless Klopp starts rotating like mad.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #2106: Aug 02, 2016 10:56:04 am
      I do agree with the above that Coutinho should be played as a proper number 10 but it's difficult to fit him in there with Firmino. Firmino is definitely better either behind the striker or even as a false 9. I really don't know how we are best set up to make use of all the players we have, there's likely to be some pissed off players come the end of the season unless Klopp starts rotating like mad.

I don't even see him as a 10.

His best position is in a midfield 3 in the Iniesta type role.

We don't play that way under Jürgen which is one reason I think we see Phil's form being so erratic.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2107: Aug 02, 2016 11:00:03 am
      We don't play that way under Jürgen which is one reason I think we see Phil's form being so erratic.

I honestly have only seen highlights (and one half live) of our pre-season Si: are you saying that, when Phil has been played, he has been played out of position?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #2108: Aug 02, 2016 11:02:31 am
      I honestly have only seen highlights (and one half live) of our pre-season Si: are you saying that, when Phil has been played, he has been played out of position?

Sorry Mouse I should have clarified that I haven't seen a minute of preseason. ;D

I'm talking more in general and while I wouldn't call where he plays under Klopp out of position but I personally feel his ideal position is that Iniesta role in a 3.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2109: Aug 02, 2016 11:20:02 am
      Sorry Mouse I should have clarified that I haven't seen a minute of preseason. ;D

I'm talking more in general and while I wouldn't call where he plays under Klopp out of position but I personally feel his ideal position is that Iniesta role in a 3.
      No baw Si. I haven't been able to catch any games (for one reason or another) - I was asking only because I know you would give me a straight answer.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #2110: Aug 02, 2016 11:22:41 am
      No baw Si. I haven't been able to catch any games (for one reason or another) - I was asking only because I know you would give me a straight answer.

No probs mate.

Whats your thoughts on the wee man under Jürgen?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2111: Aug 02, 2016 11:43:17 am
      Whats your thoughts on the wee man under Jürgen?
      He seems unsure of his role but that's only a guess mate. He definitely looked more comfortable when [under BR] he was played at the tip of the 'triangle' or even at the tip of the diamond. Maybe at the times we revert to either, we will see the best from him.

Personally I like the thought of him playing alongside Wijnaldum and just behind a front three of Firmino Sturridge and Mane (possibly at home) in a 4-1-2-3 or alone, just behind that front three, with two behind.

On paper we have and had a big threat in attacking areas (especially with Phil pulling the strings); why it just isn't/wasn't clicking F**k knows for sure but I'm hoping it's more down to fine tuning rather than personnel.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Reply #2112: Aug 08, 2016 02:13:05 pm
      Just based on his pre-season performances could (should?) Coutinho be dropped from the starting 11?

At a minimum I think he should be considered for a more central role, he seems wasted out wide.

friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #2113: Aug 08, 2016 02:41:18 pm
      Just based on his pre-season performances could (should?) Coutinho be dropped from the starting 11?

At a minimum I think he should be considered for a more central role, he seems wasted out wide.

We can't afford to drop him. If you had to list our top 3 players I'd say that Coutinho would be in most peoples. I agree though and i think his best position is in the hole behind the strikers.

Problem is that it's also Firminos best position and I think Klopp sees Coutinho being able to adapt out wide better than Firmino can which is why he continues to put him out there.

I really don't know how the team is going to line up this season if everyone is fit. Presumably Mane is going to be starting after the money we spent on him. Coutinho/Firmino have to be in the starting line up as does Sturridge. Then you also have Lallana who Klopp seems to rate highly.

If Sturridge is out for the Arsenal game I would like to see something like:

Firmino
                           Origi   Coutinho   Mane

As a front four that could work. Firmino is capable of playing as a striker and I think Origi could do a lot more damage out wide than Coutinho.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Reply #2114: Aug 08, 2016 02:57:01 pm
      We can't afford to drop him. If you had to list our top 3 players I'd say that Coutinho would be in most peoples. I agree though and i think his best position is in the hole behind the strikers.

Well, even before the injury people were advocating dropping Sturridge and I'd bet most people would have rated him our best  player so yes I think it's reasonable to  discuss whether Coutinho is worth of a starting spot based on his recent (and even end of season last seasons) play.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #2115: Aug 08, 2016 03:20:05 pm
      Well, even before the injury people were advocating dropping Sturridge and I'd bet most people would have rated him our best  player so yes I think it's reasonable to  discuss whether Coutinho is worth of a starting spot based on his recent (and even end of season last seasons) play.

There's a word for those people though  ;)

If someone thinks dropping our best players is a wise move then they should probably starting watching rugby or something.

Quick Reply