Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 399130 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #2921: Oct 22, 2017 09:41:11 pm
      Was extremely self indulgent again today.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2922: Oct 22, 2017 10:27:55 pm
      Don’t care if he goes in January. Think he’s a fair weather player at this point. When things are going great you get his best, when they aren’t, he plays selfishly. Extraordinary talent when he wants to be though, can’t argue that.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2923: Oct 22, 2017 10:32:42 pm
      Don’t care if he goes in January. Think he’s a fair weather player at this point. When things are going great you get his best, when they aren’t, he plays selfishly. Extraordinary talent when he wants to be though, can’t argue that.

I know what you mean.

He's done it all the time with us, when the chips are down he tries to do more and more and more and it becomes predictable and most times counter-productive. Occasionally he'll pull off a worldy and this is what probably reinforces him to do it more.

I've always had it down as "tries too hard" when the chips are against us. Could be selfishness but I don't honestly believe it is.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #2924: Oct 22, 2017 11:26:25 pm
      Heart not in club anymore he knows were not good enough win league anytime soon
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2925: Oct 23, 2017 12:09:56 am
      Don't blame him today as he felt he had to drop into midfield to create something, hardly surprising we looked like a pub team in midfield with what Jürgen put out.

I think the other thing that this game highlighted was that Coutinho performs best further forward, not sure this experiment of playing him in midfield is going to work, I'm not inc the sh*t teams as no doubt he will look great in midfield against the dross.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2926: Oct 23, 2017 01:12:03 am
      World Class save to deny him.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #2927: Oct 23, 2017 01:31:40 am
      Don't blame him today as he felt he had to drop into midfield to create something, hardly surprising we looked like a pub team in midfield with what Jürgen put out.

I think the other thing that this game highlighted was that Coutinho performs best further forward, not sure this experiment of playing him in midfield is going to work, I'm not inc the sh*t teams as no doubt he will look great in midfield against the dross.

In terms of midfield selection, I don't think Klopp had a lot of options today with both Wijnaldum and Lallana (our only genuine #8's right now) injured. The only other option I see is starting Coutinho in midfield and Chamberlain (who was a bright spot for me this game) out wide. In hindsight that might have been the better option, seeing as Chamberlain did well against Trippier. A midfield of Henderson, Can, Milner was never going to work.

I've been thinking the same thing about Coutinho in midfield. I don't like it at all when he drops deep and tries to get things started from there. We need him in and around the box, not picking up balls at the halfway line. That highlights another problem though, our midfielders (Can, Henderson mainly) just don't seem to be capable to find him between the lines, so he thinks, as you rightly point out, there's no other option for him than to drop deep and make things happen himself. That's just counterproductive because it takes away one of our biggest threats in and around the box.

Our midfield also seems to lack balance when he plays there. He's like this free roaming player, more a #10 than a #8 in our usual formation, with our other two midfielders limited to the more defensive side of things.

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2017 02:19:00 am by Danzel »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,955 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2928: Oct 23, 2017 01:36:41 am

Hardly an experiment playing him in midfield, Rodgers did it a few times as well.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #2929: Oct 23, 2017 04:36:25 am
      In terms of midfield selection, I don't think Klopp had a lot of options today with both Wijnaldum and Lallana (our only genuine #8's right now) injured. The only other option I see is starting Coutinho in midfield and Chamberlain (who was a bright spot for me this game) out wide. In hindsight that might have been the better option, seeing as Chamberlain did well against Trippier. A midfield of Henderson, Can, Milner was never going to work.

I've been thinking the same thing about Coutinho in midfield. I don't like it at all when he drops deep and tries to get things started from there. We need him in and around the box, not picking up balls at the halfway line. That highlights another problem though, our midfielders (Can, Henderson mainly) just don't seem to be capable to find him between the lines, so he thinks, as you rightly point out, there's no other option for him than to drop deep and make things happen himself. That's just counterproductive because it takes away one of our biggest threats in and around the box.

Our midfield also seems to lack balance when he plays there. He's like this free roaming player, more a #10 than a #8 in our usual formation, with our other two midfielders limited to the more defensive side of things.

Great breakdown bud.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #2930: Oct 23, 2017 10:30:01 am
      When he sold put money on top goal keeper two cbacks and rest of our transfers budget on forward not these playing bobby up front not working
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #2931: Oct 23, 2017 02:25:38 pm
      Been very self indulgent since he came back.

Yes he’s bagged a few goals - with his quality he should but he’s not been playing for the team to my eyes.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #2932: Oct 23, 2017 02:50:17 pm
      Be honest he does not what be here he gone next summer
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #2933: Oct 23, 2017 08:14:51 pm
      How many transfer windows has Klopp had to sort out the backline to atleast show the likes of Coutinho we want to achieve something.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2934: Oct 23, 2017 08:18:13 pm

Yes he’s bagged a few goals - with his quality he should but he’s not been playing for the team to my eyes.

Been playing for the Barca board it's seems, looks a cert for a Jan move if we continue our current form.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2935: Oct 23, 2017 08:34:29 pm

Really ? Can't agree, don't see any difference in the way he has played
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #2936: Oct 23, 2017 08:37:33 pm

Personally think we look a lot better with him there , would be even better with a proper dm, when mane is fit he should move back. Gives him more space
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2937: Oct 23, 2017 08:45:16 pm
      Given the ways things are, would be massive blow to loose him in January.
      Presume we can just say no again if Barca come calling.
      Though if we're still doing poorly, and someone is sniffing around to buy the club, FSG might decide to pocket a cool 100mill in the new year.
      Know he's acted like a sh*t, but imho he's our one outstanding player, love watching him play,  would be absolutely gutted to see him go.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #2938: Oct 25, 2017 04:05:37 pm
      http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/870865/Barcelona-news-Iniesta-Rakitic-Liverpool-Coutinho

Iniesta and Rakitic lead the rebellion at Barca insisting there is no need to sign Coutinho.
      « Last Edit: Oct 25, 2017 04:10:07 pm by stuey »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2939: Oct 25, 2017 04:20:52 pm

Yea my money is Phil will be a Barca player by February.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #2940: Oct 25, 2017 04:57:37 pm
      Diario gol is a notoriously bad source so really don't take much notice of this

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #2941: Oct 25, 2017 05:08:38 pm
      Diario gol is a notoriously bad source so really don't take much notice of this

No smoke and all that stuff mate.
      Does present a different picture than that given by the other dubious Spanish sources that insist our man is as good as gone
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #2942: Oct 26, 2017 01:00:41 pm
      Report saying LFC will not consider anything less than £134m for Coutinho.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2943: Oct 28, 2017 12:27:32 pm
      How the F**k did he get injured and how long is he out for?

F**k SAKE!!!

Quick Reply