Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 401322 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #3059: Dec 07, 2017 09:07:48 pm
      Can't quite understand all the hostility myself. We spend half our time moaning that FSG don't match the ambitions of the fans, I read that only Spurs I. The top 6 have a lower net spend than we do. Who can blame the lad for wanting to play for Barca? I don't think he'll be going anywhere in January. Barca going great guns as they are and as has already been said, what's the point in says no no in the summer only to sell the lad mid-season when he is playing out of his skin.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3393 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3060: Dec 07, 2017 09:41:14 pm
      Suppose it had to happen, the enjoyment of last night has given way to more of the usual stuff, if he ran around kissing the badge people would moan, now it's because of a perceived lack of celebration
      Kopite78
      Reply #3061: Dec 07, 2017 09:55:56 pm
      Suppose it had to happen, the enjoyment of last night has given way to more of the usual stuff, if he ran around kissing the badge people would moan, now it's because of a perceived lack of celebration

Nothing to do with that for me. I voted him motm last night.

Doesn't take away the facts though
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3062: Dec 07, 2017 10:17:51 pm
      Can't quite understand all the hostility myself. We spend half our time moaning that FSG don't match the ambitions of the fans, I read that only Spurs I. The top 6 have a lower net spend than we do. Who can blame the lad for wanting to play for Barca? I don't think he'll be going anywhere in January. Barca going great guns as they are and as has already been said, what's the point in says no no in the summer only to sell the lad mid-season when he is playing out of his skin.

No hostility from me, I just want him to cut the bullshit out. Transfer request and faking an injury literally right before our season started.

Came back and started playing again but he needs to cut all this talk about getting a "job offer" and how he was interested in it, how he doesn't know what will come in January etc.

Just needs to keep his trap shut and get on with his football. Great result against Moscow, where he had a boss game and then he can't even do a simple post game interview without smirking at every little mention of Barca like a kid in the playground.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,285 posts | 2805 
      Reply #3063: Dec 08, 2017 05:00:43 pm
      I don’t know why he thinks Barca will be so special. He’s an amazing player but he’s no Suarez or Messi.

I'd take Coutinho over current Suarez every day of the week and I'm not even Coutinho's biggest fan.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,225 posts | 6352 
      Reply #3064: Dec 08, 2017 05:26:46 pm
      I'd take Coutinho over current Suarez every day of the week and I'm not even Coutinho's biggest fan.

Oh boy.....
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #3065: Dec 08, 2017 07:47:09 pm
      Phil is a c*nt. I really want him to go because you can smell it over to Germany that he is not proud to play for us and wants to be with his precious Barcelona and I'd rather lose or play around #10 in the PL than to win with wh*res like that.

But I have to accept reality. And in this reality we have to keep him to make a precedent. If he goes you can bet Salah, Mané and Firminho will be gone next summer. Because think about it: What would be the lesson? The lesson would be: forget about contract, be dirty and persistent and those Reds will let you go. Now, it's a different thing if we do a trade with Barca to get a real top player for him (Suarez!!!), because that precedent would suit us better, but I doubt it will happen.

Also, he's too good footballwise to let him go without substitution.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3066: Dec 08, 2017 11:30:06 pm
      Hope he F***ing stays. Why would you want to leave playing with Bobby, Salah and Mane to join Messi and Suarez?
      Arlen Correa
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts | 37 
      Reply #3067: Dec 08, 2017 11:35:49 pm
      Suarez is really awful for months now. Had a knee injury too. But was already in bad form before that.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3068: Dec 09, 2017 03:41:59 pm
      I think maybe some of us are overestimating how much the other players in the squad "love" Liverpool as a club. I'd say that about nearly all players at all clubs in top flights of England, Europe and around the world. It's a different world than it was even 30 years ago. Most players at some level are just hired guns. It just is what it is.

But players do buy in to a team spirit and mission, and our managers seems to have done a good job of building that within this team, and I think even Coutinho recognizes it is in his best interest to support the cause of the team, for this season. It is counter-intuitive for all parties to make this deal in January.

Pearce has a good piece in today's Echo about how the rhetoric for the club has changed, a tacit acceptance of a move in the summer. Hopefully this also means concrete plans for other adds to come. Doesn't mean it isn't a major loss, but hopefully given a year to prepare, we can adjust for it. I would think our team's play at the moment would make this a positive destination for a lot of good players.

Let's see how well the group can do this season, and then look at reconfiguring to keep the progress going toward the trophies that we all want.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3069: Dec 10, 2017 01:27:38 am
      Suarez is really awful for months now. Had a knee injury too. But was already in bad form before that.

I'm not disagreeing with you here mate because Suarez has struggled this season but Barca are playing a system at the moment that doesn't really suit Suarez, despite Barca having a comfortable lead at the top of La Liga, Messi is carrying that team this season, massively! I have no idea how they are top, I really don't because I'd say this is the weakest team they've had for a while. Deulofeu?! Paulinho?! the other Suarez, Alacer... Come off it, there has been a massive lack of quality coming in and replacing the quality that is leaving or approaching the end of their career. Get Suarez back with us and he would be back to his usual self; Mane, Salah and Firmino in attack with him, be boss that! I know it's never going to happen, though we do know Coutinho will be leaving us for Barca sooner rather than later so I would get Suarez part of that deal if it was me, and to be honest, I think they would go for it because the manager and Suarez don't seem to have the best of relationships from what I've seen and Suarez does not look happy at Barca this season, even when he wanted to leave us he was still as determined as ever to be the best but this season, he's not got that look about him. Don't care if Suarez is 30 and Coutinho 25, given the choice, I would never choose Coutinho over Suarez. Coutinho is boss but the work rate we had from Suarez, the scoring ability, the assists, the passing, the creativity and even the defending was up there with the best we have had for a long time. He rarely went missing like Coutinho does if a game isn't going his way. Suarez could be winning the ball back for us at left back and then be up scoring a goal straight after.
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017 01:34:49 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #3070: Dec 10, 2017 02:25:12 am
      I'm not disagreeing with you here mate because Suarez has struggled this season but Barca are playing a system at the moment that doesn't really suit Suarez, despite Barca having a comfortable lead at the top of La Liga, Messi is carrying that team this season, massively! I have no idea how they are top, I really don't because I'd say this is the weakest team they've had for a while. Deulofeu?! Paulinho?! the other Suarez, Alacer... Come off it, there has been a massive lack of quality coming in and replacing the quality that is leaving or approaching the end of their career. Get Suarez back with us and he would be back to his usual self; Mane, Salah and Firmino in attack with him, be boss that! I know it's never going to happen, though we do know Coutinho will be leaving us for Barca sooner rather than later so I would get Suarez part of that deal if it was me, and to be honest, I think they would go for it because the manager and Suarez don't seem to have the best of relationships from what I've seen and Suarez does not look happy at Barca this season, even when he wanted to leave us he was still as determined as ever to be the best but this season, he's not got that look about him. Don't care if Suarez is 30 and Coutinho 25, given the choice, I would never choose Coutinho over Suarez. Coutinho is boss but the work rate we had from Suarez, the scoring ability, the assists, the passing, the creativity and even the defending was up there with the best we have had for a long time. He rarely went missing like Coutinho does if a game isn't going his way. Suarez could be winning the ball back for us at left back and then be up scoring a goal straight after.

I honestly don’t think Suarez gets a regular game in this team. Would still take him, he’d be a major asset but he ain’t leaving Barca to be a squad player here
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3071: Dec 10, 2017 03:32:45 am

I honestly don’t think Suarez gets a regular game in this team. Would still take him, he’d be a major asset but he ain’t leaving Barca to be a squad player here

Without going into it too much. How does a player who's won the Golden boot for the last 2 years running, whilst, despite not getting the recognition because of who he is, arguably the worlds best player through last season only be a squad player here? As good as Bobby is, he's no Suarez in the position he plays.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #3072: Dec 10, 2017 04:29:01 am
      Without going into it too much. How does a player who's won the Golden boot for the last 2 years running, whilst, despite not getting the recognition because of who he is, arguably the worlds best player through last season only be a squad player here? As good as Bobby is, he's no Suarez in the position he plays.

I just think Klopp is all about mobility and pressing in that central strking position. I’d question how well Luis can fulfill those roles now he’s in his 30s
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3073: Dec 10, 2017 12:22:35 pm
      I just think Klopp is all about mobility and pressing in that central strking position. I’d question how well Luis can fulfill those roles now he’s in his 30s

What we do know is Luis would give us 150% every single Match.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #3074: Dec 10, 2017 12:32:12 pm
      What we do know is Luis would give us 150% every single Match.

I’d take a gamble on him as part of any deal.

No danger.
      Arlen Correa
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts | 37 
      Reply #3075: Dec 11, 2017 08:09:36 am
      I watch all their games and hes not the same player since the last months of the previous season; despite the stats.
      You need to watch him in big games and CL now.
      This season in 06 Champions League games  he scored 00 so far.
      Last season he scored only 03 in that competition.

Still he would start over Firmino for sure.
      But i would pick Coutinho/Salah or Mane over him these days.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #3076: Dec 11, 2017 12:56:47 pm
      Why does Coutinho want to leave us anyway? Suppose we give him the salary which Barca offers plus 1£. Would he still want to leave? So is it just about money or are there more (weather, spanish girls, language, better spanish TV,...)?
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3077: Dec 11, 2017 03:05:43 pm
      Why does Coutinho want to leave us anyway? Suppose we give him the salary which Barca offers plus 1£. Would he still want to leave? So is it just about money or are there more (weather, spanish girls, language, better spanish TV,...)?

Because his heart is at Barcelona. It's a shame because he was committed to the cause here, wanted to become a Liverpool legend - until the temptation of the snake charmers twisted his arm.

I don't blame him, I'm glad he stayed. Will wish him a sad farewell at the end of the season, although bigger and better players have left for pastures new.

It's a shame that these players don't want to stick around to make us the elite team we once were. Only thing I'm not happy about is the disruption and 'tapping up' Barcelona have been able to get away with. Scandalous.

No doubt we're in for a bumpy ride in January with the Catalan's.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #3078: Dec 11, 2017 06:03:00 pm
      Because his heart is at Barcelona.

But why? Because they pay him more (then why we don't mach?!?) or because of things one can't buy like better weather, familiar language, friends, more famous club to play for etc. Nobody never did explore that deeper....
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #3079: Dec 11, 2017 08:17:46 pm
      But why? Because they pay him more (then why we don't mach?!?) or because of things one can't buy like better weather, familiar language, friends, more famous club to play for etc. Nobody never did explore that deeper....

It's a cultural thing, young South American players dream of one day playing for Real or Barca. So probably a boyhood dream for him.
      No doubt if we were more succesful that might get him to think twice but I don't think on field success is at the top of the list for FSG.

Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3080: Dec 11, 2017 09:18:43 pm

It's just not the same anymore is it? Coutinho was feeling nostalgic about that old proper what it means to play for a club like us, our values, what it meant.

Then he turned his head as they all do now. A sign of the times Coutinho was talking about and got swept away with his own. The attraction, the money, the status and accolades.

Would you blame him for wanting to play with Messi, Suarez, for Barcelona in his lifetime? He's given us his years and he developed his game here, it's just a shame like so many of the modern game get swept away with it all...

Just doesn't mean that much to us. Loyalty for the badge always, he just knew what was to play for this club, right at the end. Will enjoy him while he's here.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #3081: Dec 11, 2017 10:31:05 pm
      It's just not the same anymore is it? Coutinho was feeling nostalgic about that old proper what it means to play for a club like us, our values, what it meant.

Then he turned his head as they all do now. A sign of the times Coutinho was talking about and got swept away with his own. The attraction, the money, the status and accolades.

Would you blame him for wanting to play with Messi, Suarez, for Barcelona in his lifetime? He's given us his years and he developed his game here, it's just a shame like so many of the modern game get swept away with it all...

Just doesn't mean that much to us. Loyalty for the badge always, he just knew what was to play for this club, right at the end. Will enjoy him while he's here.

In cold hard facts Barca, a team that win trophies relentlessly were reportedly offering him €100M over 5 years (a 100% plus salary hike) to play football in front of 90,000 people in a climate much more similar to Brazil’s than ours. He’d need his head tested if he didn’t want to go sadly. Oh and he’d also get to play football with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez
      « Last Edit: Dec 11, 2017 10:35:22 pm by Alfie2510 »

Quick Reply