Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 399090 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)
      Reply #3335: Jan 08, 2018 11:19:51 pm
      Since the moment I arrived in Liverpool , me and my family have been made to feel so welcome and have made so many friends.

On the pitch and off the pitch, we have experienced the beauty of this club and its fans. In turn, I hope I have delivered memories and moments that have brought happiness to the Liverpool supporters.

Moving to Liverpool, I knew the club’s greatness and history but what I did learn during my time was the unique heart and soul of the place. It has its own personality and character.

I leave Liverpool because Barcelona is a dream for me. Liverpool was a dream that I was fortunate enough to realise and I have given five years of my life to it. A career on the pitch only lasts for so long and to play for Barcelona as well as Liverpool is something I want to experience and enjoy while I am blessed enough to be able to do so.

I hope the supporters understand that choosing to experience something new is not about diminishing their importance to me or the club’s importance. Nothing will ever diminish that in my heart.

I wish Jürgen and the team nothing but joy and success for the rest of this season and beyond. This is an amazing team and they are getting better and better all the time.

There are too many people I want to thank, but I cannot name everyone individually.

To all the amazing club staff who have been part of my life in Liverpool - I will miss you. To the owners, whom have tried so hard to bring success, and to the football recruitment staff for showing faith in me to bring me here and rewarding me during that journey, and to my incredible teammates, past and present, who have helped me grow and improve as a player and a person, I would like to say thank you to you all. Anything I have achieved here would not have been possible without you.

And finally, to the most important people of Liverpool - the Liverpool supporters. I can never thank you enough for what you have given me during this time and no matter where I go in the world, for the rest of my life, I will always cherish Liverpool in my heart. You, the club and the city will always be a part of me.

You’ll Never Walk Alone.

Philippe.

Thanks Boss, don't have twitter so couldn't read the full article....cheers.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #3336: Jan 08, 2018 11:22:15 pm
      If there is a God Liverpool will play Barca in the CL this season, preferably in the final and we smash the fuckers although the thought of giving them a roasting at Anfield also appeals
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #3337: Jan 08, 2018 11:47:49 pm
      I am so sick of the Barcelona/Real Madrid dichotomy. Whenever a player gets to a certain quality level, these 2 will swoop in and no one will ever say no to them, because F**k making the club where you are a great one, F**k the league title you just won with them, F**k the club that formed you, because in the end, if Real Madrid and Barcelona call, you leave anything and anyone behind. Because you're guaranteed to win the league every other season, and CL football. Because it's easy. Pathetic.

And to those saying it's alright, we'll get better players...Yes we will, and when they get to that point in quality they'll haul off to Barcelona and Spain as well. f***in hell, the press has already sold Salah to Real Madrid basically. Sad stuff.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3338: Jan 09, 2018 12:04:39 am
      So eloquently written in English, quite amazing that Phil has such a grasp of his second language.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3339: Jan 09, 2018 12:24:33 am
      It's not hard to understand if you read it instead of instantly quoting anything I say these days just to argue with me, following me around on the forum like a weirdo.

To summarise just for you:

I would have kept coutinho until the end of the season. I don't care what money Barca offered and I don't give a f**k what the player wanted either. Whoevers decision it was to let him go now was a poor one whether it was FSG or Klopp. My opinion is it is FSG due to their long history of sell to buy and with VVD coming for a record fee only a week ago.

That said, i don't want any player here who doesn't want to be here and the way he has gone about his move has been an absolute disgrace. He'd have been on the first flight out of liverpool once the season finished if I had my way.

I'm fuming with coutinho, fuming with FSG and im fuming with Jürgen.

That cleared anything up for you?

No not really, as far as I understand you don't want a player here who doesn't want to play for the club but F**k the owners because Klopp gave the ok to sell him now. Is that about right?
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #3340: Jan 09, 2018 12:50:48 am
      The timing couldn't have got any worse, but tbh who can blame him? We havent won F**k all in years, we're a feeder club unfortunately and until we start winning trophies on a f***in regular basis, we will continue to be, especially to South American lads.

Its a case of one step forward and two steps back its so demoralising. But we haven't won anything its as simple as that, as sh*t as that is.

He's received a lot of stick for the way he's gone about it etc, but i'll never feel as bad as when Torres left and that was a learning curve for me not to get too attached to footballers who have no clue i even exist ;D.

Huge loss and a cracking player you can say what you like. However I support Liverpool so i could care less how he gets on with Luis in Spain and i wont be watching Barcelona matches any time soon.

The biggest thing with this sale is if we invest properly or spunk the money away as we have done over the years, only time will tell.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #3341: Jan 09, 2018 02:05:40 am
      No not really, as far as I understand you don't want a player here who doesn't want to play for the club but f**k the owners because Klopp gave the ok to sell him now. Is that about right?

How do you know for certain klopp sanctioned the move? You don't, do you?

Are you really that naive to completely refuse to believe that it's a possibility that the sale was down to FSG?

You know, the same owners who have sold to buy since day one while being here?

FSG own the club and when the blame game comes around they're happy for the manager to take the flack.

Do you really think our manager is going to come out to the press and blast the owners? His employers? It's not going to happen is it? The second he does that he will lose his job and then other clubs will be afraid to appoint him for that reason. Would you publicly criticise your employer?

Brendan has spoken since leaving about the restraints in place and just look how they treated Kenny, a club legend. Our biggest legend. I believe it's no different now.

If klopp didn't want coutinho then he would have put him with the kids or even forced him to train alone. But he didn't. He brought him back into HIS team and what's more even made him captain. That doesn't seem like a guy who wants shut of a player asap.

I'm seeing now that the last two years Liverpools net spend is -34m which is the lowest in the league. Swansea are second lowest with -19m. But you keep telling yourself that FSG are wonderful and they're at no fault at all for our failure to win any other trophies than a lousy league cup during their ownership. It's all klopps fault.

I'm not happy about him going now. Some fans are and some aren't. I'm one of those who isnt. Whether you're right or I'm right it doesn't matter. Whoevers decision it was to let him go now was a shocking one and we look like idiots in the transfer market yet again.

It's even been leaked today that we lowered our original asking price just to get the deal done. Strange eh? If that's true then I wonder why we were so desperate to get rid of him now but not in August? Maybe it has something to do with a big Dutch bloke we've just signed.

So it's quite simple what I'm saying. Coutinho didn't want to be here and his behaviour was appalling. Therefore he needed F***ing off. But not now. He should have stayed until May and then we should have sold him for every penny we could get - hoped for a bidding war perhaps.

Even if we get a replacement in before the window closes (which I don't think we will btw), there is no guarantee they will hit the ground running the way salah did. They might take time to settle in and gel. They could even be a complete flop you just don't know. At least with Phil we all knew what we had...a world class player on our books.

To sell him mid season is just complete and utter madness.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3342: Jan 09, 2018 06:05:32 am
      Can't remember many wishing diouf well  :lmao:

There's a special place in hell reserved for that loco son of a bi*ch though, Coutinho will just be a regular old resident of the fiery depths :D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3343: Jan 09, 2018 10:41:26 am
      At least with Phil we all knew what we had...

"At least with Phil we all knew what we had..." Yes a complete and utter tw*t who had pissed Klopp off to the point that he wanted rid of him.
      You see I just don't buy into this notion that Klopp is some kind of shrinking violet who is henpecked by the evil owners into doing whatever they order without the slightest complaint, he just doesn't come across as that kind of guy in interviews. BTW if the owners were so keen on selling Couts then why not do it in the summer, why wait until now?

Final question would you have kept Couts even if he refused to play and destabilised the squad?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #3344: Jan 09, 2018 11:29:43 am
      "At least with Phil we all knew what we had..." Yes a complete and utter tw*t who had pissed Klopp off to the point that he wanted rid of him.
      You see I just don't buy into this notion that Klopp is some kind of shrinking violet who is henpecked by the evil owners into doing whatever they order without the slightest complaint, he just doesn't come across as that kind of guy in interviews. BTW if the owners were so keen on selling Couts then why not do it in the summer, why wait until now?

Final question would you have kept Couts even if he refused to play and destabilised the squad?

I've just told you. Because we signed VVD for 75m.

So now you tell me. Why would klopp all of a sudden want him out now despite him kicking up the same antics in the summer? Klopp brought him back into HIS football team and gave him the captaincy. That doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who wants the player out asap.

To answer your last question I'll start by saying I don't think for one second coutinho would have refused to play. He faked injuries in the summer but he got over his sulk and put a shirt on and did a damn good job too. I expect it would have been the same thing this time around too.

If for arguments sake he did go on strike though then yes I'd have kept him anyway and made an example out of him. We can't have players calling the shots and going into klopps office saying if you don't sell me then I'm going on strike.

He was under contract so if he didn't make himself available to play then we didn't have to pay him and we could have stopped any move with the aid of Fifa and uefa so yes I'd have called his bluff and made him wait another four years rotting away with our under 18s.

Would he have done that? Waited four years for his move to Barca when he's 29/30 sort of age and without getting paid in the meantime? I highly doubt it.

We were in a very strong position and held all the cards yet we still got bullied by both coutinho and Barca.

We are the mugs of the transfer market and have been for 7/8 years. That has absolutely nothing to do with Jürgen Klopp.

We could talk a better deal under hicks and Gillette for fucks sake.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3345: Jan 09, 2018 11:45:13 am
      I've just told you. Because we signed VVD for 75m.

So now you tell me. Why would klopp all of a sudden want him out now despite him kicking up the same antics in the summer? Klopp brought him back into HIS football team and gave him the captaincy. That doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who wants the player out asap.

To answer your last question I'll start by saying I don't think for one second coutinho would have refused to play. He faked injuries in the summer but he got over his sulk and put a shirt on and did a damn good job too. I expect it would have been the same thing this time around too.

If for arguments sake he did go on strike though then yes I'd have kept him anyway and made an example out of him. We can't have players calling the shots and going into klopps office saying if you don't sell me then I'm going on strike.

He was under contract so if he didn't make himself available to play then we didn't have to pay him and we could have stopped any move with the aid of Fifa and uefa so yes I'd have called his bluff and made him wait another four years rotting away with our under 18s.

Would he have done that? Waited four years for his move to Barca when he's 29/30 sort of age and without getting paid in the meantime? I highly doubt it.

We were in a very strong position and held all the cards yet we still got bullied by both coutinho and Barca.

We are the mugs of the transfer market and have been for 7/8 years. That has absolutely nothing to do with Jürgen Klopp.

We could talk a better deal under hicks and Gillette for fucks sake.

So you would have left a £140m asset rot in the reserves and potentially destabilised the team and squad. OK you are either a F***ing moron, a child or do not have the best interests of this club at heart.
      BTW the reason why Klopp wanted him out now is because he spent half a season trying to convince him that his future was here, even making him captain for a few games but the little pr**k threw it all back in his and our faces, personally I would have done exactly what Klopp and FSG did.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #3346: Jan 09, 2018 11:55:58 am
      Interesting that LFC haven't published Coutinho's message on their official channels.  They're usually bang in to all that.

They've even changed the team picture on their squad page to the image of a dressing room door.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #3347: Jan 09, 2018 12:01:37 pm
      So you would have left a £140m asset rot in the reserves and potentially destabilised the team and squad. OK you are either a f**king moron, a child or do not have the best interests of this club at heart.
      BTW the reason why Klopp wanted him out now is because he spent half a season trying to convince him that his future was here, even making him captain for a few games but the little pr**k threw it all back in his and our faces, personally I would have done exactly what Klopp and FSG did.

I'm a moron, a child or don't have the clubs best interests at heart?

Everybody knew coutinho was going. It was a matter of when, not if. What planet are you on?

And that's what this transfer boils down to. It's not coutinho going that's annoying, it's the timing of it.

He's our best player, has 12 goals and 8 assists this season despite missing a number of games, and because I don't think we should have sold him mid way through season then you're saying I don't have the clubs interests at heart?

No. Whoevers decision to sell him doesn't have the clubs interest at heart actually. Whether it was FSG to balance their books or whether it was klopp because he took it as a personal insult that coutinho wants to move on and no longer wants to play for him.

We are a weaker team and a weaker squad without coutinho. There is no debate or no discussion about it. So because I wanted him to stay until May how does that mean I don't have the clubs best interests at heart? It couldn't be any more opposite.

The fact klopp made him captain and continued to play him speaks volumes for me. Our own captain and other players have come out all over social media to wish coutinho well which also says he was a popular figure and was hardly disrupting the dressing room. So why don't you stop saying he was? When you don't have a jot of evidence to back that claim up. The evidence, if anything, tells us the complete opposite too.

Now instead of quoting everything I say these days, following me around and just arguing the toss over anything, firing insults calling me a moron etc, why don't you just block me?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3348: Jan 09, 2018 01:25:14 pm
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3349: Jan 09, 2018 01:40:59 pm
      I'm a moron, a child or don't have the clubs best interests at heart?

Everybody knew coutinho was going. It was a matter of when, not if. What planet are you on?

And that's what this transfer boils down to. It's not coutinho going that's annoying, it's the timing of it.

He's our best player, has 12 goals and 8 assists this season despite missing a number of games, and because I don't think we should have sold him mid way through season then you're saying I don't have the clubs interests at heart?

No. Whoevers decision to sell him doesn't have the clubs interest at heart actually. Whether it was FSG to balance their books or whether it was klopp because he took it as a personal insult that coutinho wants to move on and no longer wants to play for him.

We are a weaker team and a weaker squad without coutinho. There is no debate or no discussion about it. So because I wanted him to stay until May how does that mean I don't have the clubs best interests at heart? It couldn't be any more opposite.

The fact klopp made him captain and continued to play him speaks volumes for me. Our own captain and other players have come out all over social media to wish coutinho well which also says he was a popular figure and was hardly disrupting the dressing room. So why don't you stop saying he was? When you don't have a jot of evidence to back that claim up. The evidence, if anything, tells us the complete opposite too.

Now instead of quoting everything I say these days, following me around and just arguing the toss over anything, firing insults calling me a moron etc, why don't you just block me?

I have no wish to block you, you amuse me, not a lot but a little bit. I'm fascinated by how some people think, especially the ones who let their emotions rule their lives rather than be pragmatic and sensible.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #3350: Jan 09, 2018 02:06:11 pm
      I have no wish to block you, you amuse me, not a lot but a little bit. I'm fascinated by how some people think, especially the ones who let their emotions rule their lives rather than be pragmatic and sensible.

Pot kettle.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #3351: Jan 09, 2018 02:14:46 pm
      So eloquently written in English, quite amazing that Phil has such a grasp of his second language.

even using the word ''diminish'' !!

Best of luck to the fella, but I've stopped sharing any affinity towards players since the Torres transfer to Chelsea (he broke my heart :( )
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #3352: Jan 09, 2018 02:17:32 pm
      Interesting that LFC haven't published Coutinho's message on their official channels.  They're usually bang in to all that.

They've even changed the team picture on their squad page to the image of a dressing room door.

probably because they are disgusted by his behavior or maybe they  are moving on. 
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #3353: Jan 09, 2018 02:38:42 pm

Yeah I noticed that as well, maybe it'll pop up on the offal in the next day or two.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3354: Jan 10, 2018 07:21:54 am
      F**k it.

Can't stand these owners or that he wouldn't give us until the end of the season but he was some player who gave us some great moments.

Good luck, Phil.

https://youtu.be/YgpjnKhDCSE
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #3355: Jan 10, 2018 10:11:52 am
      We had all the power here but bottled it as usual. If I was in charge of the decision it would have been:

"Phil we will negotiate a fee with Barcelona now. We will let you sign a pre-contract agreement and this is against our wishes because we want to keep you but we understand your wishes. But you cannot leave this club until this season is over. Non-negotiable. Get out of my office".
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #3356: Jan 10, 2018 11:02:02 am
      Good luck to Philippe, in his new career at Barcelona.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #3357: Jan 10, 2018 04:41:31 pm
      So you would have left a £140m asset rot in the reserves and potentially destabilised the team and squad.

He would not have done it, he would have complied and waited another 5 months. We had the leverage. This has to do with LFC bending over in front of a Brazilian and his catalonian gangmembers. What happened with Countinho is an allegory of why LFC has become a shadow of old days: we have a loser mentality, and it starts on top! The only hope here is that we fans lack critical background info and that Klopp & LFC are in fact on top of everything. As a fan I hope, I must hope, nothing else left.

Quick Reply