Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 401202 times
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)
      Reply #3358: Jan 10, 2018 04:43:39 pm
      We had all the power here but bottled it as usual. If I was in charge of the decision it would have been:

"Phil we will negotiate a fee with Barcelona now. We will let you sign a pre-contract agreement and this is against our wishes because we want to keep you but we understand your wishes. But you cannot leave this club until this season is over. Non-negotiable. Get out of my office".

+1 and count any sane man plus 50% of all sane women in too. Again, maybe we don't have all the info, you gotta hope it because otherwise it looks so pathetic.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3359: Jan 12, 2018 03:48:50 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3360: Jan 12, 2018 07:08:19 pm

Totally believable. If he had stayed for the remainder of the season I would not have put it past Coutinho's agents, Nike or Barcelona telling him to under perform for the rest of the season, perhaps sabotaging our attempts in the CL and in the Premier League so to drive down his value in the summer.

Unscrupulous bas**rds led by a Spanish football club that is no better than a crime syndicate.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3361: Jan 12, 2018 07:11:10 pm
      Totally believable. If he had stayed for the remainder of the season I would not have put it past Coutinho's agents, Nike or Barcelona telling him to under perform for the rest of the season, perhaps sabotaging our attempts in the CL and in the Premier League so to drive down his value in the summer.

Unscrupulous bas**rds led by a Spanish football club that is no better than a crime syndicate.

He tried to sabotage it at the beginning of the season by not making himself available for the CL qualifiers, on top of that, his camp was stirring up sh*t too, something I will never forget.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #3362: Jan 12, 2018 09:57:31 pm
      If he had stayed for the remainder of the season I would not have put it past Coutinho's agents, Nike or Barcelona telling him to under perform for the rest of the season, perhaps sabotaging our attempts in the CL and in the Premier League so to drive down his value in the summer.

Would not have been a problem. He had contract till 2022. I tell him if he doesn't play well he stays till 2022 and rots or he can choose to give it one more 5 months and then leave for a fixed sum, let's say 140 Mio. €. I do see neither Countinho's camp nor Barca going beserk in such a scenario. This was Klopp who didn't want to have a potential trouble maker, maybe even a pride thing for him.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #3363: Jan 12, 2018 10:31:25 pm
      The club was fighting until the last second and really tried everything. That’s the case. There was a moment when I knew it would come up again in this transfer window – and it came up massively – and it would then be very difficult if we had said what we could have done, of course, ‘here’s your contract and you have to stay here’, to [then] use him as a player in the second part of the season. That is then a decision I had to make at one point, does it make sense? Do I think we can use him still? Can he help us still? To be honest, it was 100 per cent clear no chance. He was not ready to do that anymore.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/287108-Jürgen-klopp-on-coutinho-transfer-and-january-window

Nuff said
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3364: Jan 13, 2018 10:10:31 am
      The club was fighting until the last second and really tried everything. That’s the case. There was a moment when I knew it would come up again in this transfer window – and it came up massively – and it would then be very difficult if we had said what we could have done, of course, ‘here’s your contract and you have to stay here’, to [then] use him as a player in the second part of the season. That is then a decision I had to make at one point, does it make sense? Do I think we can use him still? Can he help us still? To be honest, it was 100 per cent clear no chance. He was not ready to do that anymore.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/287108-Jürgen-klopp-on-coutinho-transfer-and-january-window

Nuff said

So Klopps decision and not the evil owners, who'd have thought! ;-)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3365: Jan 21, 2018 04:00:44 pm
      So, been hearing that he has always been fit, but he is being held back until Masch leaves so he can get the #14 shirt. Anyone hear this as well?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3366: Jan 21, 2018 04:46:18 pm
      So, been hearing that he has always been fit, but he is being held back until Masch leaves so he can get the #14 shirt. Anyone hear this as well?
      sounds like bollocks. He's injuredfor sure.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3367: Jan 21, 2018 04:57:53 pm
      sounds like bollocks. He's injuredfor sure.

I don't know. Our medical staff had him back vs City, and our games are more intensive than Barca/La Liga. Who knows...
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #3368: Jan 21, 2018 05:20:20 pm
      Who cares F**k him and Barca
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #3369: Jan 21, 2018 05:24:17 pm
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #3370: Jan 21, 2018 09:37:54 pm
      When you watch Messi and Suarez in action, you can understand Coutinho’s desire to play alongside them. Not condoning the way he went about it but some scintillating stuff tonight. Messi is just worlds apart from any other player.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #3371: Jan 21, 2018 10:01:07 pm
      We shouldn't give a F**k even if his right leg fell off with leprosy, he's a former employee end of.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3372: Jan 22, 2018 12:06:49 am
      Out of interest who's position in the Barca team will Coutinho be taking?
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3373: Jan 22, 2018 12:21:16 am
      Right on. He is history. Time to move on.

Coyr ynwa
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,674 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3374: Jan 22, 2018 03:26:27 am
      Couldn't give a flying F**k about him or his Barca mates. They can all go and get fu**ed, for all I care.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #3375: Jan 22, 2018 01:46:42 pm
      Why are all the people who "don't give a f### about Coutinho" still looking at, and posting in, this thread??!!!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3376: Jan 22, 2018 01:57:30 pm
      Tbh, I have moved on, and yes, c**t way to leave our club but as a football fan, I am excited to see how he does at Barca (does that make me a shitty Liverpool supporter? :( ), especially when Valverde's main focus is about controlling the middle. Will be interesting to see how Coutinho is used.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #3377: Jan 22, 2018 02:02:45 pm
      Why are all the people who "don't give a f### about Coutinho" still looking at, and posting in, this thread??!!!
      Close it then F**k Barca
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3378: Jan 22, 2018 02:43:47 pm
      Tbh, I have moved on, and yes, c**t way to leave our club but as a football fan, I am excited to see how he does at Barca (does that make me a shitty Liverpool supporter? :( ), especially when Valverde's main focus is about controlling the middle. Will be interesting to see how Coutinho is used.

I agree, I'm intrigued to see how he settles into that team, I'm guessing he'll do well as he is a magnificent talent but I just have this sneaking feeling that he'll be a little fish in a huge pond in that team, there are so many skillfull flair players in that team that's its quite insane whereas with us he was the special one the little magician in a team of good if perhaps not flair players.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3379: Jan 25, 2018 11:08:42 pm
      Impressed on debut by all accounts. Half an hour cameo off the bench but reportedly looked right at home.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3391 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3380: Jan 25, 2018 11:10:44 pm
      Impressed on debut by all accounts. Half an hour cameo off the bench but reportedly looked right at home.

He did

Quick Reply