Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. A point at the Emirates, who was your man of the match?

Luis Suarez
      19 (17.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      25 (23.6%)
      Jamie Carragher
      47 (44.3%)
      Steven Gerrard
      10 (9.4%)
      Daniel Agger
      2 (1.9%)
      Someone else?
      3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Arsenal 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Thoughts

Read 40368 times
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,361 posts | 1013 
      Re: Arsenal 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Thoughts
      Reply #851: Jan 30, 2013 10:22:19 pm
      Probably the wrong place, but has anyone else heard that in the after match interview, Brendan said no more signings this window, we are all done. So, no Tom Ince.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #852: Jan 30, 2013 10:24:16 pm
      Probably the wrong place, but has anyone else heard that in the after match interview, Brendan said no more signings this window, we are all done. So, no Tom Ince.

I think he said "it will be difficult," not so much an out and out "no." Which is still "no" ;D
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #853: Jan 30, 2013 10:25:37 pm
      Said it will be difficult.

Found this interesting though:

"If Tom Ince stays at Blackpool it doesn't mean he will never come to Liverpool but it might be a difficult one in this window."

Hes point blank refused to mention about transfers or any names in previous interviews.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,493 posts | 232 
      Reply #854: Jan 30, 2013 10:25:59 pm
      A draw is a good result, even though disappointed we surrendered and lost the second half. Now...time to beat Man City  ;D

I think if the manager insists on Sturridge up front, I think Suarez should play on the right than the left. He seems to be more forward when I have seen him there.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #855: Jan 30, 2013 10:27:01 pm
      Said it will be difficult.

Found this interesting though:

"If Tom Ince stays at Blackpool it doesn't mean he will never come to Liverpool but it might be a difficult one in this window."

Hes point blank refused to mention about transfers or any names in previous interviews.

Is that a quote from Brendan, Danny?
      sonuxs
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 332 posts |
      Reply #856: Jan 30, 2013 10:29:28 pm
      Have never dissed BR.However today he really showed that he was so content with a draw.Mid table manager mentality.This is LFC BR not swansea.Stop bein content with a draw.NOt when ur 2 up.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,037 posts | 537 
      Re: LIVE: Arsenal v Liverpool
      Reply #857: Jan 30, 2013 10:29:41 pm
      Well that was pretty dire.

Even at 2 nil up I thought we'd been poor. We were leaving them unmarked all over the place everytime it went in the box and our defending of aerial balls was poor all game. If they'd been more clinical then they'd have had a couple in the first half. We were only ahead cos their defending was even worse.

Going forward our play had no real rhythm or coherence. Our tactics were just sit deep and hopefully knick something on the break, which was working only cos they kept gifting us the ball.

Main worry for me was that that was supposed to be the big response to brendans public kick up the arse.
      Blaming the players is rarely a good move, but if your gonna do it you need a response, and personally I thought that was one of our worst performances of the season. Against an arsenal side that defensively didn't turn up.
      We were lucky to get a point.
      It's really frustrating cos I think the squad is getting better and  I was expecting a decent second half of the season. But on that showing I think Rodgers has mishandled the Oldham response and it looks like the players confidence has took a bigger hit than it should have.
      They played like a team that was scared of conceding rather than one that wanted to go out and express themselves.
      Redangel

• 8,361 posts | 1013 
      Reply #858: Jan 30, 2013 10:30:45 pm
      I think he said "it will be difficult," not so much an out and out "no." Which is still "no" ;D

Right, I thought he'd actually come out and said 'no'. However, as you say, 'it will be difficult' really means, 'no'.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #859: Jan 30, 2013 10:37:57 pm
      Didnt see the game. How did coutinho do? Impressed?
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #860: Jan 30, 2013 10:39:00 pm
      Coutinho didn't play .
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #861: Jan 30, 2013 10:39:08 pm

They just announced him this morning..he is in Liverpool and the squad is in London, so it was less than an impressive performance; though he does sign T-shirts quite well.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,291 posts | 4939 
      Reply #862: Jan 30, 2013 10:39:18 pm
      Carra my MOTM.

Geat performance at the back.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,493 posts | 232 
      Reply #863: Jan 30, 2013 10:39:53 pm

According to Brendan, unlikely to feature at all on Sunday. So a little wait.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #864: Jan 30, 2013 10:40:28 pm
      F**k it anyways!

Such a tough match and probably a fair result.... gutted! Thought Suarez's workrate was outstanding! Wilshere is a beast and killed out midfield! Think Wisdom is not good enough yet to be a starting 11 - injuries aside I dont think he should start again! Dagger was caught ball watching on 1st and 2nd Reina maybe should of been a bit more lively down to it but he is lacking sharpness!

Lucas wasnt great... still not back! Henderson played well, worked hard but was poor going forward until his goal!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #865: Jan 30, 2013 10:41:06 pm
      According to Brendan, unlikely to feature at all on Sunday. So a little wait.

Would be a bit of a baptism of fire that away at City. Expect a team very similar to tonights to play against City to be honest and similar tactics.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,308 posts | 768 
      Reply #866: Jan 30, 2013 10:43:12 pm
      Felt very tense, when Arsenal equalised, thought that we were going to blow it after being 2 0 up. Felt it was a decent performance until last half hour, Arsenal came back at us strongly, although Suarez could have scored at the end. Have mixed feelings on the whole in a game that we should well of won.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,291 posts | 4939 
      Reply #867: Jan 30, 2013 10:46:54 pm
      I think if we expected to go away to Arsenal and didn't get put under a fair bit of pressure the we would be kidding ourselves.

This result might have looked a bit better if we came back from 2-0 rather than them.

I understand the sentiments that we gave up a great chance of a win but still plenty of encouraging signs tonight.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #868: Jan 30, 2013 10:54:19 pm
      Disappointed in the context of the match but I can't sniff at a point from the Emirates. Seriously thought we had blown it at 2-2 feeling very sure that Arsenal would score again. Disappointing the way the first came - to allow a striker free reign in the box is just the most basic of errors. Come on. Improve that please. On the balance of the whole game a draw is more or less a fair result. A big improvement on the weekend and a decent result to come away from the Emirates and a world away from the dire performance against them a few months back.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #869: Jan 30, 2013 10:59:25 pm
      I couldn't believe we dropped so deep.

After the first goal and about 25-30 minutes into the match Rodgers had a word with Lucas then we started to drop deeper, don't know if that was just coincidence though.

For the first 25-30 minutes of the game, we had two or three players pressing Arsenal deep in their own half, then after the 25-30 minute mark that dropped off with Sturridge left up top as we retreated into our own half and we were quite happy to let Arsenal have possesion until they crossed the half way line.

This for me was when they started to get a foothold in the game as we started to invite them onto us and paid them too much respect.

Shame really because all 3 points were there for the taking tonight and for those who say we were Lucky to get a draw, Arsenal were just as Lucky as we had a few good chances that were'nt converted too, Agger's header cleared off the line ?
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #870: Jan 30, 2013 11:00:40 pm
      The only positive out of today was that Spurs and Chelsea dropped points, I thought we threw 2 points away with poor defending for 10 minutes which was ashame really. Only Everton gained any ground but they'll drop points without doubt so all in all considering the league table it's not the worst result ever. 14 games, 7 points off - everything to play for lads, let's start by beating them City cu*ts which we're more than capable of on our day.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #871: Jan 30, 2013 11:01:55 pm
      Carra my MOTM.

Geat performance at the back.
      He was indeed Si. The old dog for the road .
      samb2011
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #872: Jan 30, 2013 11:04:01 pm
      A point at Arsenal isn't too bad, but seeing as we were 2-0 up it is a little disappointing.

Couldn't control the ball as much in the 2nd half unlike the 1st half, we also played too deep throughout the half and whenever we managed to get the ball Sturridge lacked any real support. Point is still a decent result though. 
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #873: Jan 30, 2013 11:04:16 pm
      We were poor all across the park and very fortunante to score 2 goals. There was no structure or build up in anything we did so much for tiki taki and posession football we scored an early goal and sat back for the next 25 minutes ala the game against united. This was as a poor Arsenal side that I have seen in years the league table does not lie and had Brendan not had such a small team mentality they were there for the taking.

After taking the lead we sat back and panicked on the ball like a releagation threatened team who has just unexpectedly taken the lead against the big boys. We had the quality in midfield to over run Cazorla, Ramsey and Wilshere who were all piss poor defensively and whenever our midfield trio could string together a few passes they found themselves in acres of space particulary in the last 15 minutes of the second half.

The goals we conceded were F***ing cheap I love Agger to bits but he has cost us too many goals this season by ball watching and not attacking the ball, Pepe's reaction was poor for the second goal.

Havent read the post match comments from Rodgers but if he is saying we were immense and or brilliant he is having a F***ing laugh maybe it would have been from the likes of a Swansea side (who convincingly beat Arsenal at the Emirates earlier this year 2-0) but not from a Liverpool side.

Quick Reply