Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who gets your vote for MOTM?

Sturridge
      142 (89.9%)
      Carragher
      3 (1.9%)
      Lucas
      6 (3.8%)
      Johnson
      3 (1.9%)
      Other
      4 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 154

Voting closed: Feb 10, 2013 06:30:53 pm

Man City 2-2 Liverpool: In-Game and Post Match Analysis

Read 38865 times
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: LIVE: Man City vs Liverpool
      Reply #644: Feb 03, 2013 06:12:02 pm
      Very  happy with Sturridge's display. Very direct play and very lethal with his shooting. Proud of Jamie, both Agger and Skrtel should be ashamed of themsilves. Only in the second half Agger became more imposing with early tackles and headers before City players got to it. Why not do it consistently for 90 mints, I just don;t understand. Has it got to do with complacency?
      Nox
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts | 22 
      Reply #645: Feb 03, 2013 06:13:13 pm
      Anyone who isn't happy with that performance is bonkers.
      Reina made a mistake but who would have thought they could score from there.
      If we are all dissapointed to not have taken 3 points from arsenal and 3 from city away then we must be playing well.

Everyone agrees we are playing well but you can't have lapses like that in this league which will turn 88 minutes of good play into 2 minutes of bad play causing dropped points. Gotta be consistent and concentrated til the end whistle goes.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #646: Feb 03, 2013 06:13:47 pm
      Daniel Sturridge was absolutely fantastic. Scored a belter and his overall contribution to our game was a joy to watch. Showed great feet and nice vision to make some very good passes.

Midfield was good again, although some of Gerrard's "hollywood" passes are frustrating.

Henderson totally deserves his place at the moment, but for an attacking player a whole match without creating a chance or getting involved in any key attacking plays isn't enough. I live in hope Coutinho will replace Downing in the lineup and Henderson will therefore be in his most preferred position in the middle. Bigger chance of having a greater impact there.

Good post mate, maybe spoiled a little with all the over the top praise you always give to Downing :)
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #647: Feb 03, 2013 06:15:51 pm
      God what can you say about that? Another encouraging performance, but again, massive disappointment to have dropped two points AGAIN. That's 4 more points we should have, which would put us at 40 and in a good spot for a CL challenge.

We played brilliant except for two moments: And we were punished on both of them.

On the first goal, it wasn't just Agger, though he is the biggest culprit. On the throw in, Johnson was on the wrong side of Milner, giving him the inside track. Once that happened, Carragher was too slow or couldn't catch up with Milner. Agger, who not only kept everyone onside, also completely lost his marker again inside the box. How many times has that happened this season? It feels like 5 or 6 now. He has to do better than that and he's more than capable of doing better than that.

On the second, a completely baffling moment of stupidity from Reina. What on earth was he thinking? And it wasn't only Reina's mistake. Where were the CBs to sprint to the goal line? They have to anticipate that Reina -- who typically is good at coming out in that situation -- might not win the challenge. Two moments of stupidity and a lack of concentration on our part, and guess what? We've only got 1 point to show from it, not 3.

Attack-wise I thought we were excellent, Daniel Sturridge in particular. He was brilliant, MOTM by a country mile. Gerrard is back. Simply put. What was encouraging was that we attacked well despite Suarez having a poor game by his standards. That's encouraging. Downing and Henderson have given good accounts of themselves the past 5-6 games or so for me.

So what can we say? We should have 4 more points over the last two but we don't. I've seen enough in the performances to fill me with hope and encourage me about this team. But we've got to cut out the moments of complacency and stupidity.
      Ultracity
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 57 posts |
      • Supporting Liverpool from Spain!
      Reply #648: Feb 03, 2013 06:16:21 pm
      Next time we'll rock it.

Regards ;)
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #649: Feb 03, 2013 06:16:36 pm
      Good post mate, maybe spoiled a little with all the over the top praise you always give to Downing :)
      Thought Downing was the only player who had a below average game
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #650: Feb 03, 2013 06:19:24 pm

For a change.  :P
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Re: Man City 2-2 Liverpool: In-Game and Post Match Analysis
      Reply #651: Feb 03, 2013 06:19:53 pm
      Absolutely love Craig Bellamy!
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #652: Feb 03, 2013 06:21:01 pm
      Now is the time to win 6 league games in a row. No excuses Reds.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #653: Feb 03, 2013 06:23:36 pm
      Sturridge was outstanding today, what would have happened if we would  have signed him at the start of the season.......
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #654: Feb 03, 2013 06:23:45 pm
      Everyone agrees we are playing well but you can't have lapses like that in this league which will turn 88 minutes of good play into 2 minutes of bad play causing dropped points. Gotta be consistent and concentrated til the end whistle goes.
      Totally agree with you,we can't live life thinking we could of won when we should of won,we have got 2 points out of 6 against good teams when really we should of taken the 6 points.I thought Sturridge played a cracker and S uarez has a football vision that takes you back to Kenny Dalglish.
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #655: Feb 03, 2013 06:25:06 pm

Knocking Downing because its the thing to do. He has a very solid game. Always available to take the ball and attacked the full backs. Defending well with the team. Solid game no need what so ever to knock him. We all know by now the max of his ability
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #656: Feb 03, 2013 06:26:22 pm
      4 many 5 tough games left till end of season... Would love to see atleast 33-35 points from 39... that should get us there or there abouts!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #657: Feb 03, 2013 06:27:20 pm

Completely disagree with this, I thought he was quite good, I guess he could of done better with his final ball at times, but he got stuck in, kept the ball mostly and used it intelligently.

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #658: Feb 03, 2013 06:28:01 pm
      Knocking Downing because its the thing to do. He has a very solid game. Always available to take the ball and attacked the full backs. Defending well with the team. Solid game no need what so ever to knock him. We all know by now the max of his ability

He's still an over-priced bag of turd, though.

That isn't his fault, but it is the truth.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #659: Feb 03, 2013 06:28:31 pm
      It's like we have this mental bloke, like we cant visualise the win against these teams.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #660: Feb 03, 2013 06:31:07 pm
      Can't help but think we've dropped 4 points rather than gained 2 in the last 2 games.

In saying that, I think we've gave a good account of ourselves in the last two games and we need to build on that.

Would have I took two points before we kicked a ball in anger, probably not, but on the whole I think we can be pleased with our lot, not the points as such, but the performances against two top clubs we could and should have won.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #661: Feb 03, 2013 06:31:36 pm

Agreed. I don't think Downing was bad at all. He's just the team whipping boy so whenever he doesn't have a "great" performance he's an easy target.
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #662: Feb 03, 2013 06:32:44 pm
      4 many 5 tough games left till end of season... Would love to see atleast 33-35 points from 39... that should get us there or there abouts!

Yeah mate, I calculated 32 from 39 to give ourselves a chance. Gonna have to win 10. 3 home matches against Spurs, Chelski and Everton would be huge
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #663: Feb 03, 2013 06:32:44 pm
      Two games we should have won. Two games we ended up losing. Frustrating this!

Have I missed something..?

Anyway, Jordan Henderson looks like a completely different f**king player at the moment.

Very good performance, disappointing result, we're heading in the right direction though.

nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #664: Feb 03, 2013 06:37:36 pm
      Seems like both games against City we've handed them a point.

9 points off 4th, still believe it's doable now that we've played United, Arse and City.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #665: Feb 03, 2013 06:37:46 pm
      If people are going to get at Reina, and I understand why, they had better have a go at Skrtel because he had the ball covered and should have hoofed it along with Aguero.

I agree and I blamed both of them for the goal. As a centre back your first instinct should be to get back onto the line, Reina after so long of running out though should realise that he is doing the wrong thing. We need to re-think about our defence at the end of the season big time!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #666: Feb 03, 2013 06:38:52 pm
      I think some players set the standards for themselves so low that everything better than that is called "good" or at the very least "solid".

Downing wasn't good today, this kind of performance wouldn't get him in any top team in the league, and he still struggles to beat his man which is unbeliveable for a supposedly experienced "top" winger.

Yes he wasn't piss poor and he did get involved in some interesting plays but saying he's good is setting the standards for the team way too low IMHO.

It's a bit like Andy last season... of course he improved near the end of the season but only in one or two matches he was indeed "fantastic" as opposed to the amount of times I've seen this word being used here... all in all he wasn't good enough and despite showing improvement, I don't think it meant he was good enough for us at all.

Quick Reply