Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Next Season

Read 4111 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Next Season
      Feb 05, 2013 11:08:40 am
      After last August and this January, we are now in a much better position to gauge what we need for next season; player wise. £50m in two transfer windows is nothing to be sneezed at, especially as the 'big spenders' seemed reluctant to splash the cash recently. Fair play rules perhaps?

So what do you consider to be the positions that need strengthening the most? Let's say, with it being the Summer transfer window and all, that we are going for 2 positions. In your opinion, which 2 positions would you seek to strengthen? And by strengthen, I don't mean 'potential for the future', I mean strengthen as in the new signings will go straight into the team. Sure, we'll probably sign one or two 'fringe' players for the future, but I fully expect the team to be strengthened with 2 players that slot right in from the start.

Personally, I'd go for a centre back, one to go straight into the heart of our defence.

We need some iron in midfield, and Stevie is not getting any younger. So a hard tackling, big engined type midfielder. Shelvey is unconvincing right now, so we need top class experienced midfield general.

Fringe player; a new goalkeeping number 2. Think we missed out on Jack Butland but there you go.
      samb2011
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Re: Next Season
      Reply #1: Feb 05, 2013 11:20:42 am
      I would also possibly add a left back onto that list.

Also we did miss out on Butland, but we could be looking for a new number 1 depending on whether Reina leaves or not.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #2: Feb 05, 2013 11:23:26 am
      A strong Box to Box mid fielder.
      A CB who can organize the defense who can deal with the aerial balls.
      A good Left footed winger who can score goals.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #3: Feb 05, 2013 01:06:33 pm
      The summer will be interesting..

For me if you look where we are and what we need to improve its probably 3-4 players ready to have an impact straight away, in the way Sturridge has done.. He isnt overly experienced but he can has made an impact by being simply a good player who will fit the way the current manager wants to play..
      All the kids we have that are at a stage to become good squad options need to be more rotation, let them develop by not being the ones that we are having to rely on to win game after game.

Id personally look to do this in the summer..

Goalkeeper :

Personally id look to keep Pepe, id still have him as No.1.. Id only look to bring another one in if he wanted to move. I also think with Jones signing the recent deal we wont be looking to sign a new no.2.. However i personally would, with Doni now having left i would look to bring in a better No.2 option to pressure Pepe a bit.

Defence :

Id give Carra a new one year deal, let him play as and when we need him as we will miss him more than we think once he retires. But id look to sign a new imposing cb to play alongside Agger as the main cb partnership.
      We also need another LB for the squad and potentially as a main starter.

So across the back at the start of next season

Gks
      Pepe
      *New second choice Gk

Cbs
      Agger
      Carra
      Skrtel
      *New Cb to be main starter with Daniel

Rb
      Johnson
      Kelly
      Wisdom

Lb
      Enrique
      *New Lb

In terms of defenders as well id look to send both Robinson and Coates on full season loans to ideally premier league clubs to get football under their belts, bring them back for the pre season of 2014-15 to see if they have any future here.

Midfield:
      Id look to sign an experienced dominating midfielder to give us some more steel, im not talking a 28 year old, just someone who has played football regularly over a couple of seasons who can come in and give us steel in games.. The likes of Diame or Wanyama would do me fine.

So for the central options in midfield

Gerrard
      Lucas
      Henderson
      Allen
      Shelvey
      *New cm option

Front "3"

Id still ideally like to see us add one up top, we still really only have Sturridge and Suarez as central options and an injury just sets us back to square one.. If anything Luis has looked a bit leggy in the last couple of games and who can blame him after the season of hard work he has had..
      So if i had a choice id look to sign another option who can comfortably play centrally or wide in the 3 as an option

Suarez
      Sturridge
      *New wide option
      Sterling
      Borini
      Coutinho

Up in those front options id look to loan out Suso for the same reasons as Robinson and Coates.. I really like the kid but he needs games and time to develop.. A season away with 30-35 games under his belt i think we will see the benifits the following season.

So for me
      Cb
      Lb
      Cm
      Striker/wide forward

As a minimum

And with potentially 25m plus the sales of Carroll, Downing, Spearing, Assaidi and Wilson should give the manager enough money to bring in 4 very good experienced options in those positions that will see us improve. We will have at least 2 options per position plus some more kids to supplement the squad along the way.

Anyway that past my lunchtime
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2876 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Feb 05, 2013 01:14:30 pm
      Depending on if Pepe stays a new number 1 and a 2nd choice keeper. A top quality centre half who has a voice and can organise a back 4. A left back to cover/fight Enrique for his spot (loan out Robinson)

After that I think we have players who cna be developed to fill roles like wingers and centre mid and Id defo give N'Goo a chance
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #5: Feb 05, 2013 01:23:41 pm
      A quality big bodied holding midfielder would be first on my list.

Second a new first choice keeper.

Third a big bodied Centre Half to further help our defensive presence and fight with Skrtel for first choice.

I think all the people who want a left back and forgetting that Kelly coming back will be like a new signing. We'll have Kelly, Johnson and Enrique all battling for two positions with Wisdom behind them. That's 3 options at right back and two at left back.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,479 posts | 2862 
      Reply #6: Feb 05, 2013 01:28:54 pm
      1) Top centre back
      2) Either a top wide forward or top number ten (depending on where Coutinho plays)
      3) Top GK if Pepe moves on (which I think he will)

Fringe players

1) Backup GK
      2) Left back cover
      3) Strong holding midfielder
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #7: Feb 05, 2013 01:38:18 pm
      A quality big bodied holding midfielder would be first on my list.

Second a new first choice keeper.

Third a big bodied Centre Half to further help our defensive presence and fight with Skrtel for first choice.

I think all the people who want a left back and forgetting that Kelly coming back will be like a new signing. We'll have Kelly, Johnson and Enrique all battling for two positions with Wisdom behind them. That's 3 options at right back and two at left back.

We don't need "big bodied" players, that's throwback to the 80's stuff.
      We need players who are comfortable with receiving and passing the ball especially when under pressure.
      fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #8: Feb 05, 2013 01:50:37 pm
      We don't need "big bodied" players, that's throwback to the 80's stuff.
      We need players who are comfortable with receiving and passing the ball especially when under pressure.

People have been saying that Arsenal struggle these days as they have no real steel in their team since the days of Viera, Adams etc... I think having one or two physically dominant players can really aid the squad as it adds something different. They don't necessarily need to be "big" but certainly physical (look at the likes of mascherano). I just don't think we should put all our eggs in one basket with the types of players we have. Variety would help the squad grow and have more depth.

Therefore i think a physical presence in the middle would help - Perhaps Diame

Someone to replace Downing as i think he'll be gone at the end of the season - I'd honestly be happy with Ince there.

And finally a central defender - we missed out on Cahill i think we should have fought harder for him last year.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #9: Feb 05, 2013 01:51:46 pm
      Well now Pepe's come out and said he's staying I think our 'keeper options are fine, although I'd be looking at a good loan move for Gulacsi as he needs game time.  We have more than enough cover for a 3rd choice 'keeper at the Academy.

Definitely a CB's needed and as others have said it needs to be one who will play immediately.  I can see us cashing in on Skrtel, although I can't see him commanding the fee's being quoted in the summer.  We have Kelly to come back into the squad, unless he doesn't agree a new contract, then he'll be sold.

We could also do with a LB but I don't feel this is essential, unless a particularly good one is available at the right money.  We have Johnno to cover there and have plenty of RB options to cover for him.

Midfield is a conundrum, we seem to have plenty of players but apart from Sunday, they rarely all click in the same game.  A lot depends on Lucas regaining his pre injury form, Allen getting his confidence back, Stevie keeping his chin up, Henderson continuing his current form, Jonjo... well you get the picture.

I'm not sure about up front but it wouldn't hurt to have another option.  We've loaned out Ngoo for the rest of the season, he's starting games and scoring at Hearts so if that goes well we may have our other option in him.

Also what needs taking into account is if we are looking to get loan deals for our under 21's still to feature regularly in the first team then that is also leaving us with a weaker squad.  Players like Gulacsi, Flanno, Robbo, Coady, Adorjan, Morgan and possibly Sama all need to step up a level to continue their development.

We will probably offload Pacheco, Spearing, Carrol and Downing.  Coates will either go or be loaned and Wilson is out of contract in the summer.  Assaidi may also be another who goes.

Still a lot of work to do.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #10: Feb 05, 2013 02:31:26 pm
      1st choice CB - strong in the air, yet quick and good on the ball
      Backup LB
      Potential 1st choice CM - preferably a strong box-to-box player or CDM with a great engine, good shot from distance, good in possession, and willing to track back on defense
      An outside midfielder (not a winger) who can play down either flank - someone in the mold of James Milner/Dirk Kuyt/Christian Maggio who's work rate on both sides of the ball are needed in big games
      Another versatile CF capable of leading the line on his own as well as being a supporting player out wide or in the hole

If we sell anyone who is an highly active member of the squad (Reina or Downing in particular) then they will also need to be replaced in addition to this

I fully expect a number of fringe players to either go out on loan or be sold - Flano, Coates, Robo, Suso, Assaidi, Pacheco, Adorjan, Coady, Morgan, Ngoo, etc

If at least 3 of the players we recruit have the quality to improve our starting 11 (CB, CM, and RM/LM) and the other 2 improve out matchday squad (CF and LB) then I think we will have the sufficient quality and depth to really push for trophies next season
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #11: Feb 05, 2013 05:52:31 pm
      1) CB -- I think the No. 1 priority will definitely be for a dominant CB. Carragher for as well as he's played this season, is getting on in years, Skrtel has really struggled, and Agger hasn't been as good as we're used to seeing. Agger's still first choice for me, but given that he's more of the attacking/roaming type, what we need to bring in is an anchor for the backline. Preferably, a monster :laugh:

2) CM -- Next we have to look at some reinforcement in midfield. I've said before that I don't think Lucas will be back at his best until next year, but even if he is, we're still lacking someone in midfield. Gerrard has adjusted well to playing a deeper role, but Lucas is still struggling. I'd really like us to try and bring in someone like a Diame, or fail that, one of either Lars or Sven Bender or Luiz Gustavo, for example. Players in that vein who can press and tackle, but who are still good on the ball with a solid passing range.

3) WF -- Still think we're lacking a goal-scoring wide forward. Suarez and Sturridge are a good start, Borini decent for rotation, but I think we still have a hole on the flank. My guess is we'll end up selling Downing in the summer, so maybe that's Tom Ince we bring in to rotate with Sterling.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #12: Feb 05, 2013 06:20:56 pm
      People have been saying that Arsenal struggle these days as they have no real steel in their team since the days of Viera, Adams etc... I think having one or two physically dominant players can really aid the squad as it adds something different. They don't necessarily need to be "big" but certainly physical (look at the likes of mascherano). I just don't think we should put all our eggs in one basket with the types of players we have. Variety would help the squad grow and have more depth.

Therefore i think a physical presence in the middle would help - Perhaps Diame

Someone to replace Downing as i think he'll be gone at the end of the season - I'd honestly be happy with Ince there.

And finally a central defender - we missed out on Cahill i think we should have fought harder for him last year.

I think we have those players now, but they will take time to develop.
      Henderson and Shelvey are both big lads, and once they learn how to impose themselves on games, I don't see an issue.
      Lucas is yet to return to full form and fitness, but he's no pushover.
      We have Stevie in the middle, and they don't come much more imposing than him, plus he's still a very good player.
      Enrique, and Johnson are both big strong lads, and so are skrtel and Agger.
      Suarez is as strong as a bull and Sturridge is another 6 footer weighing in between 12.5 and 13 stone.

So, you can see right through our centre, we have big strong players.
      The problem is that they are adjusting to a system that is very difficult to play.
      The match against city is a good example of how the lads are now getting better at knowing when to play it out, and when to put their foot through the ball and get it the F**k out of there, with Sturridge being the target man, and holding the ball up, which he did to great effect against city.

I've seen players like Diame come and go. They look good in a few games, but they are never quite good enough for a top team.

On the flip side, I don't give a F**k what people say about arsenal or any other team.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #13: Feb 06, 2013 08:34:38 pm
      If I am just picking 2 positions, I'm picking up two defenders with at least one being a CB.
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #14: Feb 07, 2013 08:59:13 am
      If I am just picking 2 positions, I'm picking up two defenders with at least one being a CB.

CB and RB. I'm not all that confident in Flanagan being the player we need him to be (reliable backup for now turning into a wing-back).
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #15: Feb 07, 2013 09:29:30 am
      CB and RB. I'm not all that confident in Flanagan being the player we need him to be (reliable backup for now turning into a wing-back).

Ryan Mc?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #16: Feb 07, 2013 10:31:57 am
      In your opinion, which 2 positions would you seek to strengthen?

Can see us having to replace a keeper and we need a winger to replace Downing.

We need more than that to go straight in to the first team, but I'll stick with the OP's question of just two positions.

I don't think there is a pressing need for a centre-back as some of you make out.  Wisdom and Kelly (if he gets fit) are more than capable of doing a job there.  Skrtel had a bad game against Oldham although it wasn't helped by the company he kept - he is still a very good defender.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Feb 07, 2013 10:40:28 am
      Agree with most of the post especially CM.

What seems to have dropped through the net is a winger. A lethal pacy winger who can take Downings place. (when he goes)

Seemingly with Sturridge coming in a winger doesn't take priority.

In my book it does.  It would set fire to our attack
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18: Feb 07, 2013 11:00:47 am
      Agree with most of the post especially CM.

What seems to have dropped through the net is a winger. A lethal pacy winger who can take Downings place. (when he goes)

Seemingly with Sturridge coming in a winger doesn't take priority.

In my book it does.  It would set fire to our attack

Depends on how Coutinho performs.

If we end up with
      Suarez - Sturridge - Coutinho

with subs
      Sterling - Borini - Downing

then the forward line becomes about replacing who we release.
      Although we'd probably end up in your scenario of replacing Downing.

I still think we need a utility player who can play CDM/CB a full back and maybe a keeper.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #19: Feb 07, 2013 11:14:52 am
      Depends on how Coutinho performs.

If we end up with
      Suarez - Sturridge - Coutinho

with subs
      Sterling - Borini - Downing

then the forward line becomes about replacing who we release.
      Although we'd probably end up in your scenario of replacing Downing.

I still think we need a utility player who can play CDM/CB a full back and maybe a keeper.

With those playes you posted racer maybe a top quality attacking left back would be as good a signing as a winger.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #20: Feb 07, 2013 11:16:23 am
      I think as long as our players show the desire to run through a wall for this club, we wont need someone who is purposefully 'big bodied' for that psychological impact. We want everyone to play like a big bodied no nonsense Steven Gerrard esque midfielder.

Wanna see Gustavo from Bayern come in. Can play at LB or CM/CDM. Has a nice left foot shot.

Need a competitive CB to make Agger, Skrtel and Carragher sweat. Coates should go on loan somewhere and get some good experience. Too young to just sell.

Scott Sinclair in for Downing...?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #21: Feb 07, 2013 11:42:03 am
      Wanamaya from Celtic's midfield, what a beast
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #22: Feb 07, 2013 03:39:04 pm
      With the news of Carra's retirement, we DEFINITELY need to be thinking defense for next year.

Coates out of favor, Carra gone, and Skrtel and Agger looking a bit stressed.

Think our striking options are pretty decent and we have a thousand midfielders at our disposal now so let's shore up our defense. In my opinion anyway.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #23: Feb 07, 2013 03:54:29 pm
      With those playes you posted racer maybe a top quality attacking left back would be as good a signing as a winger.

Defense needs sorting out in the summer.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #24: Feb 07, 2013 03:58:47 pm
      Center Back, Left Back, back up Goal Keeper (hopefully we can keep Pepe) and an Attacking Midfielder.
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #25: Feb 07, 2013 10:07:20 pm
      Now that Carra's gone, we'll need 2 CBs, a wing-back, and maybe a GK
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #26: Feb 08, 2013 01:07:53 am
      2-CBs, a LB, a DM. ON the contrary I would personally want to see Downing given another season. He has improved much of late. BR just need to get the players to the end of his crosses or passes.

Quick Reply