Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Should we retire the No.23 Jersey as a mark of respect to Jamie Carragher?

Read 4822 times
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison
      • Started Topic

• 159 posts |
      Should we retire the No.23 Jersey as a mark of respect to Jamie Carragher?
      Feb 08, 2013 01:02:46 pm
      Hi Peeps!...in light of Jamie announcing his retirement yesterday, it had only dawned on me this morning that would it be possible to retire the jersey that coined the "Carra 23" quote/chant/whatever which is synonymous with Jamie so any other player coming in to take the jersey would be seen to be an imposter?!!

AC Milan did it for Baresi & soon to be Maldini so there is such precedent elsewhere.

So why not do it for Carragher then for Gerrard when he calls it quits as they were/are the ones who are LFC born & bred...the highest accolade we can pay them for their services.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Should we retire the No.23 Jersey as a mark of respect to Jamie Carragher?
      Reply #1: Feb 08, 2013 01:04:55 pm
      No, but that's because I don't think shirt numbers should be retired.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Feb 08, 2013 01:06:45 pm
      No.

We should not retire 8 either.

Let new heroes emerge.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: Feb 08, 2013 01:08:26 pm
      It would be a nice tribute to Carra but if you are going to do this for him, then the same would need to apply to all the other legends that have played for the club in the past.

I don't think there would be many shirt numbers left after we retired the numbers used by Dalglish, Rush, Gerrard, Souness, Callaghan, Hansen, and so on.
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison
      • Started Topic

• 159 posts |
      Reply #4: Feb 08, 2013 01:11:33 pm
      It would be a nice tribute to Carra but if you are going to do this for him, then the same would need to apply to all the other legends that have played for the club in the past.

I don't think there would be many shirt numbers left after we retired the numbers used by Dalglish, Rush, Gerrard, Souness, Callaghan, Hansen, and so on.
      Yeah, there is always that but half of them are not scousers whereas they are legends, we can eulogise them in various other ways?
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #5: Feb 08, 2013 01:17:00 pm
      I've never been a fan of this and would probably only say it's necessary if a current player passed away.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #6: Feb 08, 2013 01:20:15 pm
      I would understand at retiring the number 23 for a year, but I wouldn't want it permanently removed from selection forever.

But I prefer keeping the number for selection as I don't believe it really in this concept to be honest.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #7: Feb 08, 2013 01:26:11 pm
      No ,think its a load of bobbins all this retire the jersey sh*te.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #8: Feb 08, 2013 03:04:39 pm
      Not for me
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #9: Feb 08, 2013 03:15:46 pm
      I think thats a unanimous no. Like Racer said, let new heroes emerge.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #10: Feb 08, 2013 03:27:56 pm
      No for me too.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #11: Feb 08, 2013 03:44:01 pm
      No, think it's a silly idea really.

The number 7 is probably our most famous number which belonged to who many would regard as our greatest ever player and they didn't retire that when Kenny left.

Let someone new wear the 23.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #12: Feb 08, 2013 03:45:50 pm
      No!!!

No player is bigger than the lfc shirt. It is not a disrespecting Carra but I would like youngsters to target Carra number and even Gerrard's.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #13: Feb 08, 2013 03:50:56 pm
      No, just don't hand it straight to a young defender!
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #14: Feb 08, 2013 03:51:25 pm
      Second highest in appearances - if we don't for him we will never do it. A legend.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #15: Feb 08, 2013 03:53:25 pm
      Didnt do it for Cally, or Kenny, or Hunt, Keegan, Rush etc

so, no
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #16: Feb 08, 2013 04:03:18 pm
      no, but we should hope the next #23 is half the man Carra is!
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison
      • Started Topic

• 159 posts |
      Reply #17: Feb 08, 2013 04:09:48 pm
      Yep, that seems to be an unanimous no so far!

I see that young Martin Kelly has signed a new long term contract today...high hopes for him at CB some time in the future so if he's anywhere Carra's level, I will be pleased!

Anyhow, We will recognise Carra & his "23" contributions the Liverpool way when the time is right!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #18: Feb 08, 2013 04:23:25 pm
      Actually - doesn't it say something about the modern game that we're discussing the "iconic #23" jersey?

Deary me - I am getting old!!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #19: Feb 08, 2013 04:24:18 pm
      I wouldn't rule it out forever but I would say let it be known within the club that to wear the number 23, you'd have to demonstrate a Carra level of commitment to the club each match. I would hate to see the number 23 given out to some donkey who turns away when the ball is hit at the wall or calls to be subbed when he stubs his toe.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20: Feb 08, 2013 04:34:51 pm
      If you can't carry the weight of who has worn the number before you're at the wrong club.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #21: Feb 08, 2013 05:12:36 pm
      No.

We should not retire 8 either.

Let new heroes emerge.

Agree with this and most of hte opinion here. So we'll retire the 8 too? Nah, don't think so. Carra deserves all the respect he is due, but retiring numbers is not the way to do it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #22: Feb 08, 2013 06:24:13 pm
      No.

Personally I think retiring shirts is a load of bollocks.

Quick Reply