Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Should we retire the No.23 Jersey as a mark of respect to Jamie Carragher?

Read 4819 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Should we retire the No.23 Jersey as a mark of respect to Jamie Carragher?
      Reply #23: Feb 08, 2013 06:25:01 pm
       No we should not retire the No 23 Jersey,think back to all the Liverpool greats over the years and if their Jersey Numbers had been retired  todays players would be running around with 1000s on their backs.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #24: Feb 08, 2013 06:35:58 pm
      No

I love Carra and Stevie but no one is bigger than the club, they have done their bit to be remembered forever.. They dont need shirts taken out of circulation to cement that...

Many great players have worn those numbers before and hopefully many more great players will wear them in the future
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #25: Feb 08, 2013 06:39:01 pm
      Personally no.

But with NESV it could happen. Retiring shirts is popular in US Baseball, so we will wait to see if thats planned. Hopefully not
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #26: Feb 08, 2013 06:55:47 pm
      Instead of retiring the number, better give it to someone worthy of wearing it. So, the legend will live on and he who wears it will always be remembered the greatness of Carra.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #27: Feb 08, 2013 07:18:26 pm
      I agree with some wanting too, but I also agree with those who dont.
      I would love the #23 to be somthing younger players look too to help them become as good as, or even better to than Carra to then earn the privilidge to wear it.
      I also think it would be a huge mark of respect for him to retire it, but with that, we would HAVE to do it for Stevie, then Luis, then belatedly retire other numbers from past legends. So I think it would be best to not actually retire the number. but not use it for a while, and then if, or when somebody comes along who can wear it as good as Jamie did, then let them wear it, and I think to that player then,it would be like reciveing the captancy for your club, a very proud moment.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #28: Feb 08, 2013 07:19:42 pm
      No, simple as.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #29: Feb 08, 2013 07:23:48 pm
      Fowler wore 23 aswel. Pretty special number!

Let there be another Scouse hero in it. Maybe Carra's son in the future ;)
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #30: Feb 08, 2013 07:37:30 pm
      No way, it's a stupid idea I think. If anything, let someone try and live up to the reputation of that number, and become an even better #23 than Carra is (although it's big ass boots to fill).
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #31: Feb 08, 2013 07:51:15 pm
      No. This isn't basketball.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #32: Feb 08, 2013 07:57:52 pm
      If you can't carry the weight of who has worn the number before you're at the wrong club.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #33: Feb 08, 2013 09:19:10 pm
      Hi Peeps!...in light of Jamie announcing his retirement yesterday, it had only dawned on me this morning that would it be possible to retire the jersey that coined the "Carra 23" quote/chant/whatever which is synonymous with Jamie so any other player coming in to take the jersey would be seen to be an imposter?!!

AC Milan did it for Baresi & soon to be Maldini so there is such precedent elsewhere.

So why not do it for Carragher then for Gerrard when he calls it quits as they were/are the ones who are LFC born & bred...the highest accolade we can pay them for their services.

No, Not The Liverpool Way.

If you want to do that might as well retire the number 7, 9, 10 etc etc
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #34: Feb 08, 2013 09:22:50 pm
      No, as good a player as Carra was, no player will be as big as the club. We didn't retire number 7 for Dalglish or the number 9 for Fowler. So no.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #35: Feb 08, 2013 09:27:09 pm
      No, as good a player as Carra was, no player will be as big as the club. We didn't retire number 7 for Dalglish or the number 9 for Fowler. So no.

Shows you the amount of legends at the club, when Robbie was replacing another legend to wear number nine!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #36: Feb 08, 2013 09:29:30 pm
      Shows you the amount of legends at the club, when Robbie was replacing another legend to wear number nine!

Well this is it, look at some of the players who have replaced others. Number 23 needs to be kept open. We need another legend!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #37: Feb 08, 2013 09:35:17 pm
      Yes.

Not many players would choose 23 anyway.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #38: Feb 08, 2013 09:38:46 pm
      The number 23 should of been retired the minute Fowler took on the number 9, in recognition of his five-minute hattrick!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3392 
      Reply #39: Feb 08, 2013 10:12:33 pm
      No.

At the end of the day, it's only a number. It's the badge on the front that carries the expectation, not the number on the back.

We also need to move away from this thought of retiring numbers every time somebody does well wearing it. F***ing hell, if we went on that belief we'd of retired every F***ing number in the book by now.

I love and respect Jamie Carragher as much as the next man but swerve all this American style bollocks of retiring numbers. Carra took the number 23 from an even bigger legend (in my eyes) and did just as well. We didn't retire it after Fowler, so why after Carra? And as I said earlier, it's the badge that matters not the number. When Voronin was here, was he slaughtered because he was sh*t while wearing the number John Barnes wore or was he slaughtered for being sh*t while wearing the famous Liverpool top?

Swerve retiring the number 23, just hope whoever wears it next can provide us with as many happy memories as both Robbie Fowler and Jamie Carragher did. (it's written already though that when Carra's lad makes it up the ranks, he gets given the number 23 shirt)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #40: Feb 08, 2013 10:29:03 pm
      No.

Simply put better players who have given as good a service to this club have not had jerseys retired in there honour we should not start with Carra. In fact I hope Liverpool never do it.

If you retired wevery jersey worn by a great we'd end up with jerseys starting from 40 up for our squad.

I know where your coming from but no, never
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #41: Feb 09, 2013 12:18:32 am
      No

We've had too many legends at this club, keep them coming!
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #42: Feb 09, 2013 12:19:51 am
      If I was an up & coming defender I wouldn't want to take Carra's number anyway.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #43: Feb 09, 2013 01:03:35 am
      Give it Kelly. I definitely don't think it should be retired, daft idea I believe personally because then you end up like the Italians with number 72 etc and it just gets silly. Hopefully somebody who is going to be around for a while will wear it sometime in the future not just anybody
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #44: Feb 09, 2013 02:02:10 am
      Going to say no because when i make it to the first team, i want to wear the number 23.

However with Jamie he seems like a special case where you could consider it. Local boy, hundreds of games, epitomy of Liverpool FC.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #45: Feb 09, 2013 07:01:19 am
      Na, not for me either. Let the next lad to wear the number look and admire what has gone before him.

Quick Reply