Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool Games You'll Watch again

Read 3877 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Liverpool Games You'll Watch again
      Reply #23: Feb 07, 2013 11:51:27 am
      2000 (ish) you say... try this: UEFA Cup Final 2001 - Liverpool 5-4 Alaves

That was some game.
      We never do things the easy way do we.
      ;D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #24: Feb 07, 2013 02:23:13 pm
      I remember watching this one. I think it was Nat Lofthouse (maybe not) who said it was the best display of football he'd ever seen

It was Tom Finney who said it 'Rush' and yeah it was a perfect footballing display, we all remember Istanbul and of the cup final V West Ham, but like Brian the '89' final sticks in my mind, i'm sure there are many many we can all drool over and all have special memories for one reason or another, the final of '89' speaks for itself, YNWA
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #25: Feb 07, 2013 02:35:45 pm
      It was Tom Finney who said it 'Rush' and yeah it was a perfect footballing display, we all remember Istanbul and of the cup final V West Ham, but like Brian the '89' final sticks in my mind, i'm sure there are many many we can all drool over and all have special memories for one reason or another, the final of '89' speaks for itself, YNWA

Tom Finney! Cheers Billy

If ever someone asks me how good we were, I always direct that to that Forest game.
      davepolo
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -1 
      • taught English by AZ, grAmmEr schooL fAiLure
      Reply #26: Feb 07, 2013 03:24:47 pm
      5-4 v alaves uefa cup final.
      champion league 3-3 best night of my life didnt even go
      nbest game i been to liverpool v st ettiene amazing night at anfield i could go on
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #27: Feb 07, 2013 03:34:08 pm
      Pennant Goal Against Chelsea!

I was stood in the corner for this.
      My voice was gone by the end of the game.

Got a mini chant of "hows your head peter cech" going.

"Rafa's the special one"
      "Steve Gerrard, Gerrard"
      Alonso and Gerrard <3
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #28: Feb 07, 2013 03:58:47 pm
      Not a victory for us but the 4-4 against Arsenal at Anfield in 2009 was a crazy and thrilling match! Love the way we never gave up!

I remember that game well, I was living in Spain at the time and was in a Brit bar surrounded by Mancs and Chavs who we're laughing there heads off everytime Arse shaven hit the back of the net But we never gave up !

By the way is that the only time an oppossing player has scored four in one game and not ended up on the winning side ?

EDIT, didnt Viduka get 4 against us, can't remember if it was at Anfield or not ?
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #29: Feb 07, 2013 05:49:35 pm
      I remember that game well, I was living in Spain at the time and was in a Brit bar surrounded by Mancs and Chavs who we're laughing there heads off everytime Arse shaven hit the back of the net But we never gave up !

By the way is that the only time an oppossing player has scored four in one game and not ended up on the winning side ?

EDIT, didnt Viduka get 4 against us, can't remember if it was at Anfield or not ?
      Viduka's was at Elland Road mate.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #30: Feb 07, 2013 05:53:18 pm
      I remember watching this one. I think it was Nat Lofthouse (maybe not) who said it was the best display of football he'd ever seen
      Billy's spot on mate it was Tom Finney, what an accolade from a legend and with how good Forest were at that time I'm not going to argue with the great man. Still to this day the best performance I've seen from a Liverpool team and there have been some over the years.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #31: Feb 07, 2013 06:03:22 pm
      April 2009 Chelsea 4-4 Liverpool Champions League Quarter Final 2nd leg.

Again not a win and Gerrard was actually injured for this one. But it is still one of the finest displays of fight and effort from a Liverpool side in recent times. 3-1 down from the first leg, away at Stamford Bridge, no captain and the fact this was happening as the last match before the 20th anniversary of Hillsborough. The lads went out and fought tooth and nail for every ball.

We went out in the end but I was proud as F**k of the lads after that one. Amazing match.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #32: Feb 07, 2013 07:23:32 pm
      Billy's spot on mate it was Tom Finney, what an accolade from a legend and with how good Forest were at that time I'm not going to argue with the great man. Still to this day the best performance I've seen from a Liverpool team and there have been some over the years.

John Barnes running the Forest defence ragged, bet Steve Chettle had nightmares after that game!

Ole, ole, ole, ole we're the champs, We're the Champions, ole, ole, ole, ole...............
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #33: Feb 07, 2013 08:03:11 pm
      You know what's a good shout? Liverpool 3-1 Manchester United in 2011. Dirk Kuyt's only hat-trick for Liverpool. We were immense that day. Plus the Nani crying incident and Suarez pulling Rafael's hair :laugh:
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #34: Feb 07, 2013 08:05:33 pm
      You know what's a good shout? Liverpool 3-1 Manchester United in 2011. Dirk Kuyt's only hat-trick for Liverpool. We were immense that day. Plus the Nani crying incident and Suarez pulling Rafael's hair :laugh:

Good call. I could definitely watch that again.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #35: Feb 08, 2013 08:07:24 am
      Newguy watched the game I was going to recommend. I have the 4-0 win over Madrid on VHS and still watch it. Rafa's reds in full motion. We dicked Madrid that day. They had no answer.

Also if you want a Gerrard match to watch, the 07/08 (?) win at St James where Lucas sent Gerrard away to score.

The 2-1 win at Villa with his free kick at the death also that season I think.

The 4-4 draws vs the London teams amazing too.

And the 3-0 win vs Sunderland recently. That pass to Suarez...
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #36: Feb 08, 2013 11:00:36 am
      77 european cup final vs BMG, 5-0 against forest, 4-0 vs united when Beardsley scored 3.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #37: Feb 08, 2013 02:21:47 pm
      John Barnes running the Forest defence ragged, bet Steve Chettle had nightmares after that game!

Ole, ole, ole, ole we're the champs, We're the Champions, ole, ole, ole, ole...............
      Kop chanting we want 5 we want 5. Due to scoring 4 endless times that season and Alro giving us our wish thanks to a great run by Nigel Spackman.

Personally favourite was the fourth though for Beardsley, he played that well that the commentator (Motson if memory serves but could be wrong) did the sort of AHHHHHHHH an old granny does when they see a baby in a pram.

Steve Chettle still wakes up in cold sweats over that night (allegedly)!!!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #38: Feb 08, 2013 02:42:30 pm
      Liverpool 4-0 Real Madrid
      Man United 1-4 Liverpool
      Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal
      Liverpool 3-3 West Ham
      Liverpool 3-3 AC Milan
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #39: Feb 08, 2013 10:34:32 pm
      The full 90 minutes of the European Cup semi final second leg at Anfield against Chelsea in 05. Still arguably the greatest atmosphere I've ever witnessed at Anfield.

Speaking of other great atmosphere games (that I was at) - last day of the season against Blackburn in 95. We won, Blackburn (Kenny more importantly) won the League and United lost it all on their own. Both of the 4-3 games against Newcastle in 96 and 97. Beating Everton 3-2 at Anfield in 99 with Robbie sniffing the line after his pen. That's a belting game from start to finish and worth a watch. Beating Roma 2-0 in 2002 on the night Gerard Houllier returned to the dugout. 1-0 against Barcelona in the 2001 UEFA Cup semi final. F***ing hell that was a special night that one. Gary Mc's pen will forever live with me that night.

Other great atmosphere games I'd love to off been at - St Ettienne 77, Inter Milan 65, Real Madrid 09. They're the three main European nights at Anfield I would of loved to of witnessed first hand. Domestically, I'd of loved to of been there against Norwich in 94 on the final day of the old standing Kop. Fowler's five minute hattrick against Arsenal in 04. 5-0 against Villa in 09 because there seemed to be a real buzz that we could go on and win the League that year. And the final game of that year against Tottenham when we won 3-1. Would of loved to of been there to say ta ra to Sami Hyypia. And of course Gary Mc's freekick at Goodison in the final few minutes.

Plenty of away games (and neutral grounds) to choose from as well but Anfield always has an extra specialness about it's games.
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #40: Feb 09, 2013 03:02:46 am

25 May 2005
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #41: Feb 09, 2013 04:32:24 am
      The full 90 minutes of the European Cup semi final second leg at Anfield against Chelsea in 05. Still arguably the greatest atmosphere I've ever witnessed at Anfield.

I get chills remembering that match. It was like something out of a movie. The atmosphere that day was breathtaking, even through a TV.

That last 5 minutes... speechless.
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #42: Feb 11, 2013 03:12:14 pm
      2000 (ish) you say... try this: UEFA Cup Final 2001 - Liverpool 5-4 Alaves

This is the one for me...a truly amazing game...a real emotional rollercoaster for me back then!...then go through it all again in 2005 CL Final!!!

That's why I love Liverpool...the agony & the ecstasy of it all!!!!
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #43: Feb 11, 2013 03:15:46 pm
      Just looking at the AC Line-up...How did we ever come back in that match?!!!!!...Every red was with us that day, present & past willing us on to win!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #44: Feb 11, 2013 03:32:42 pm
      I get chills remembering that match. It was like something out of a movie. The atmosphere that day was breathtaking, even through a TV.

That last 5 minutes... speechless.

I have never watched a football match accompanied by such unbearable nerves! Like you said those last 5 minutes were ridiculous. When Eidur Gudjohnson hit that shot from that angle I could feel the tears in my eyes building up. Never been so scared in all my life! But the atmosphere even through the tv set was unlike anything I've ever heard or indeed anything I've heard since. I'll never forget that eruption on the final whistle.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #45: Feb 11, 2013 03:54:11 pm
      There are a few games that I still enjoy watching.

CL final 2005, FA Cup final 1989, UEFA Cup final 2001, beating the Mancs 4-1 in 2009 are a few that spring to mind but there are loads of others too.

Quick Reply