Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Anfield v Zenit

Read 13608 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Anfield v Zenit
      Feb 19, 2013 01:27:26 pm
      Thread here about do people care about the Europa cup and shamefully replies coming back saying no! Well balls to that

Thursday night we go in to a 2nd leg tie 2 down from the first. Old school European tie, keep a clean sheet and win by 3 or concede and score 4 or your out Europa league is all we have left to win. The team need to go for it and the crowd need to go for it. Lets give it a proper Anfield European night fooking boom it out like Chelsea or Barce or Inter in recent years.

Anybody who thinks this club and this team and us fans wont be better served by being involved inthis cup in May are off there head.

And while the 4 corners of the ground are in full vocal does anyone agree that the KOP standing up for the 90 minutes would be a far more frightening view for Zenit. Again it was a sight from recent greta nights like Olympiakos, the KOP standing to a man almost dragging there team to victory.

Thursday night should not be Liverpool v Zenit its should be ANFIELD v Zenit

COME ON!
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Re: Anfield v Zenit
      Reply #1: Feb 19, 2013 01:45:09 pm
      Thread here about do people care about the Europa cup and shamefully replies coming back saying no! Well balls to that

Thursday night we go in to a 2nd leg tie 2 down from the first. Old school European tie, keep a clean sheet and win by 3 or concede and score 4 or your out Europa league is all we have left to win. The team need to go for it and the crowd need to go for it. Lets give it a proper Anfield European night fooking boom it out like Chelsea or Barce or Inter in recent years.

Anybody who thinks this club and this team and us fans wont be better served by being involved inthis cup in May are off there head.

And while the 4 corners of the ground are in full vocal does anyone agree that the KOP standing up for the 90 minutes would be a far more frightening view for Zenit. Again it was a sight from recent greta nights like Olympiakos, the KOP standing to a man almost dragging there team to victory.

COME ON!
      Cracking post mate with you 100%, like I've just said on another thread fancy 2-0 and winning it in extra time.

The situation reminds me off early 90s second leg versus Auxerre would be brilliant if we could match it.

Stevie with a pen early on to set us going (Molby), Glen getting another before HT to make the tie level (Mike Marsh seem to remember he started at rb on the night), and a late winner for Sterling (Walters).
      redno7
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts | 18 
      Reply #2: Feb 19, 2013 02:31:52 pm
      If Sterling gets the winner I'll eat my soiled underpants, video it, youtube it and post it on here.  :lmao:

I'm going for a sneaky 4 - 0 home win.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #3: Feb 19, 2013 03:25:35 pm
      Winning this competition, in my opinion, is our only realistic option of qualifying for European Football next season.

Sadly I won't be at Anfield this Thursday but I hope those who are in attendance make it a decent European night.
      Yggdrasil
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
      Reply #4: Feb 19, 2013 03:36:07 pm
      If Sterling gets the winner I'll eat my soiled underpants, video it, youtube it and post it on here.  :lmao:

Oh please Sterling make this happend  :clap:
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #5: Feb 19, 2013 04:16:47 pm
      ing this competition, in my opinion, is our only realistic option of qualifying for European Football next season.

We may need some help from the mancs, Chelsea or City by them winning the FA Cup. If that does happen i'd say finishing in 6th position (and qualifiying for Europe) is a fairly realistic ambition given that we're currently in 7th and 3 points behind the bitters in 6th place.

I'm desperate for us to get through on Thursday but it's a tall order with the squad that is available and a 2 goal deficit to claw back. It's well within our capabilities, particularly if we get an early goal but it's keeping a clean sheet at the other end that worries me.

Score early and the crowd will really come into it and having had the immense privilege of attending most of our home matches in the run to the 07 Champions League final I know that ANYTHING is possible when Anfield is at it's earth shattering, eye cracking best.

Wish I was bloody going the game now! Was getting excited just writing that last sentence!!!

GO ON YOU FUC>>>>KIN REDMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #6: Feb 19, 2013 04:26:04 pm
      We may need some help from the mancs, Chelsea or City by them winning the FA Cup

We're going to need two of them getting in the final.

Runners up qualify for Europa League ahead of 6th place when it comes to the FA Cup.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Feb 19, 2013 04:31:59 pm
      Unless we get a Man City V United/Chelsea final
      we need to win the Europa League to have any chance of staying in Europe.
      Massive game this week.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #8: Feb 19, 2013 05:34:05 pm
      C'mon lads, lets do it!

definitely a hole to climb out of this 0-2 deficit but not impossible.  a fast start and we can do this.  Also, we need to buckle down and make sure nothing gets past reina
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9: Feb 19, 2013 06:17:48 pm

COME ON!
      A better Idea would be to get rid of the seats in the KOP and increase the ground capacity as well as the atmosphere.It is time to get back to the old tradition of putting the shits up every team that comes to Anfield.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10: Feb 19, 2013 06:23:48 pm
      Anfield v Zenit.

I like it! We as fans can decide which way we want this. Do we want a great European night at Anfield or not? Wake up and smell the coffee and give Zenit pure hell.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #11: Feb 19, 2013 07:06:38 pm
      Given the choice between Europa and Champion's league, then obviously, any sane fan wants CL footy, but we don't so we make the most of what we do have. I see no reason why Zenit shouldn't be afforded the same welcome Chelsea where in the Champion's league a few years back. Let's make European nights at Anfield special again.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #12: Feb 19, 2013 07:20:14 pm
      A better Idea would be to get rid of the seats in the KOP and increase the ground capacity as well as the atmosphere.It is time to get back to the old tradition of putting the shits up every team that comes to Anfield.
      I'll second that Billy.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Feb 19, 2013 07:29:29 pm
      It's weird thinking back to the early 70's when I fell in love with this great Club, there was no difference between playing in the European Cup, the UEFA Cup or the Cup Winners Cup.  It was European football and that's all that mattered. 

Oh and winning of course  ;D

I'm going to suggest something a bit outside the box for this game.  Seeing as we don't have Sturridge playing, rather than changing back to our pre Sturridge system why not play Morgan up top and leave the rest as it was on Sunday, with Jordan/Raheem taking Coutinho's place.

I know Morgan isn't experienced at this level but he's good enough to play the foil for Luis.  His movement's good, he's a bit of a poacher and he's used to leading the line.   He's also the only other natural striker we have available, apart from Sinclair.  Or have they both gone to Lisbon for the Next.Gen tomorrow night?
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #14: Feb 19, 2013 07:32:35 pm
      It's weird thinking back to the early 70's when I fell in love with this great Club, there was no difference between playing in the European Cup, the UEFA Cup or the Cup Winners Cup.  It was European football and that's all that mattered. 

I'm going to suggest something a bit outside the box for this game.  Seeing as we don't have Sturridge playing, rather than changing back to our pre Sturridge system why not play Morgan up top and leave the rest as it was on Sunday, with Jordan/Raheem taking Coutinho's place.

I know Morgan isn't experienced at this level but he's good enough to play the foil for Luis.  His movement's good, he's a bit of a poacher and he's used to leading the line.   He's also the only other natural striker we have available, apart from Sinclair.  Or have they both gone to Lisbon for the Next.Gen tomorrow night?

Is he back from his loan now? If so I'd be surprised if he was throw in to such an important game for the club.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #15: Feb 19, 2013 07:33:35 pm

Probably because only the league winners where in the European Cup back then. With four from our league alone going through and the disparity in money between the two competitions, it's no wonder the Europa League is not held in as high esteem. To be honest, changing the name was never going to increase the competition's popularity, it needs that disparity in competition money reducing.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #16: Feb 19, 2013 07:36:04 pm
      Probably because only the league winners where in the European Cup back then. With four from our league alone going through and the disparity in money between the two competitions, it's no wonder the Europa League is not held in as high esteem. To be honest, changing the name was never going to increase the competition's popularity, it needs that disparity in competition money reducing.

I meant for the fans mate, not the accountants.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #17: Feb 19, 2013 07:50:33 pm
      I have every faith in the Kop and other parts of the ground too this coming Thursday. I'm sure they won't disappoint and will create a noisy atmostphere to help the team.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #18: Feb 19, 2013 07:53:14 pm
      Would be nice to emulate something like the flag that Zenit had, was quite impressed with that I must say.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #19: Feb 19, 2013 08:10:13 pm

Morgan is on loan.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20: Feb 19, 2013 08:11:50 pm

He's back mate, it was only a month's loan.
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #21: Feb 19, 2013 08:22:06 pm
      Hoping for another great European night on Thursday night.

I'm going for:

Reina

Johnson
      Skrtel
      Agger
      Enrique

Gerrard (c)
      Lucas

Downing
      Henderson
      Sterling

Suarez

Subs; Jones; Wisdom, Carragher; Allen, Shelvey, Suso, Assaidi.

It looks like we're gonna struggle in Europe without Sturridge and Coutinho but it's a chance for Sterling/Shelvey/Suso and Assaidi (if he's gonna play) to get some game time and possibly some goals.

This will be a tough tough game but I'm sure the lads will be pumped for this one!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #22: Feb 19, 2013 08:34:45 pm
      I meant for the fans mate, not the accountants.

I understood what you meant but what I was saying is that because of the money involved, the CL is seen as more glamorous by fans. I'm not saying that's right, just that that's how it is.

Hoping for another great European night on Thursday night.

I'm going for:

Reina

Johnson
      Skrtel
      Agger
      Enrique

Gerrard (c)
      Lucas

Downing
      Henderson
      Sterling

Suarez

Subs; Jones; Wisdom, Carragher; Allen, Shelvey, Suso, Assaidi.

It looks like we're gonna struggle in Europe without Sturridge and Coutinho but it's a chance for Sterling/Shelvey/Suso and Assaidi (if he's gonna play) to get some game time and possibly some goals.

This will be a tough tough game but I'm sure the lads will be pumped for this one!

Out of interest, is Coutinho cup tied?
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #23: Feb 19, 2013 08:39:51 pm
      If your given lemons you make lemonade , it's all we have now and it may not be the big money spinner competition but it will keep us in touch with European football until CL comes along again , shortly i hope.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #24: Feb 19, 2013 08:42:37 pm
      Out of interest, is Coutinho cup tied?

Yes.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25: Feb 19, 2013 08:48:52 pm
      If your given lemons you make lemonade , it's all we have now and it may not be the big money spinner competition but it will keep us in touch with European football until CL comes along again , shortly i hope.

Much more interesting places to visit in the Europa too mate like Norway, Romania or Russia  :f_tongueincheek:
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #26: Feb 19, 2013 09:07:15 pm

I was told if life gives you lemons, you can spend $10,000 to upgrade to melons.....   :)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #27: Feb 19, 2013 09:14:22 pm
      Much more interesting places to visit in the Europa too mate like Norway, Romania or Russia  :f_tongueincheek:
      Travelling broadens the mind Debs  . ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #28: Feb 19, 2013 09:17:14 pm
      Travelling broadens the mind Debs  . ;D

It does.

You could learn to make Limoncello with your lemons instead of lemonade and have a much better time. ;)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #29: Feb 19, 2013 09:18:13 pm
      I was told if life gives you lemons, you can spend $10,000 to upgrade to melons.....   :)
      I prefer the lemons meself Harry , anything more than a mouthful is a waste.  :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #30: Feb 19, 2013 09:44:28 pm
      Only just realised it said Anfield in the title and not Liverpool.

We will miss Sturridge badly for this one as it's a game where his ability to stretch the play and give Luis space to drop into would have been vital.

I've been thinking about this today and wonder what the posibility of Sterling playing the Sturridge role to sit on the last man and try and use his pace to create space for Luis to work in by occupying their CB.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Enrique playing left side and going at them directly and trying to give them something different to think about in the final third. Would also mean we would play Wisdom as a bit of extra assurance at the back and Glen will always get forwward even on the left.

Reina

Wisdom  Carra  Agger  Johnson

Lucas  Gerrard

Downing  Suarez  Enrique

Sterling
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #32: Feb 19, 2013 09:52:24 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #33: Feb 19, 2013 09:53:33 pm
      The players need to play their part first and foremost! Not like how they played in the first leg.

Disagree.

This is one game where the fans need to be up for it from the first whistle and even before.

A big atmosphere might just will the lads on to a great victory.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #34: Feb 19, 2013 09:53:47 pm

We will miss Sturridge badly for this one as it's a game where his ability to stretch the play and give Luis space to drop into would have been vital.

I've been thinking about this today and wonder what the posibility of Sterling playing the Sturridge role to sit on the last man and try and use his pace to create space for Luis to work in by occupying their CB.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Enrique playing left side and going at them directly and trying to give them something different to think about in the final third. Would also mean we would play Wisdom as a bit of extra assurance at the back and Glen will always get forwward even on the left.

Reina

Lucas  Gerrard

Downing  Suarez  Enrique

Sterling

I suggested something similar earlier Si but using Morgan rather than Raheem.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #35: Feb 19, 2013 09:54:34 pm
      I suggested something similar earlier Si but using Morgan rather than Raheem.

Ah. Missed that Debs.

I'll have to have a look back now.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #36: Feb 19, 2013 09:55:33 pm

Reina

Lucas  Gerrard

Downing  Suarez  Enrique

Sterling

I like the idea of keeping the shape them same as at the weekend but don't think Sterling has enough about him at the moment to play that role. Also think our right hand side looks weak in that side, while the idea of Enrique is a good one and should help out with Hulk getting extra space on that side also Danny would have a field day down the left.

We simply cannot concede so I personally would rather take the risk of pushing Gerrard further forward while keeping the back 5 our strongest:

Reina

Johnson        Carra        Agger      Enrique

Lucas     Henderson

Downing     Gerrard      Sterling

Suarez

but honestly expect Brendan to switch Henderson and Gerrard around in the fear that we cannot concede or we're pretty much out.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #37: Feb 19, 2013 09:57:18 pm
      Ah. Missed that Debs.

I'll have to have a look back now.

Having said it though I think Morgan is in Portugal with the Next.Gen squad for tomorrows game. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #38: Feb 19, 2013 09:57:25 pm
      That was my dilemma Luke, the right side of our team, as Glen and Downing have combined well of late and look very solid there.

Just thinking of something a bit different and it's maybe something we could switch to as the game progresses.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #39: Feb 19, 2013 10:01:10 pm
      That was my dilemma Luke, the right side of our team, as Glen and Downing have combined well of late and look very solid there.

Just thinking of something a bit different and it's maybe something we could switch to as the game progresses.

Yeah I agree mate, it's painful to think we have Coutinho and Sturridge cup-tied, such a difference they could make to this. Still gives me great hope for the future.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #40: Feb 19, 2013 10:04:17 pm
      The players need to play their part first and foremost! Not like how they played in the first leg.
      Both will go hand in hand , the team playing out of their boots and Anfield rocking .
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      Reply #41: Feb 19, 2013 10:09:26 pm
      This is not the match thread if anyone wants to start one

This is a call to Anfield to stand up and be counted on Thursday, drive the boys on dont sit and wait for things to happen
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #42: Feb 19, 2013 11:12:43 pm
      great post.

not a lot i can do about it in australia other than wait patiently until kick off and put my faith in rodgers and his XI as ive always done. you are absolutely right though, anfield needs to push our men through this, scare the life out of them with sound, give many of our young players the best night of their lives so far. back our men with confidence and they will pull through for us.

i would think carra would play on such a big night but i wonder if skrtel will partner him over agger..?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #43: Feb 19, 2013 11:52:05 pm
      Disagree.

This is one game where the fans need to be up for it from the first whistle and even before.

A big atmosphere might just will the lads on to a great victory.

I understand your point but Anfield rocking and cheering the lads on means nothing if they play how they did in the first leg, that is my point.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #44: Feb 20, 2013 02:26:10 am
      I'm not worried about the issue of Anfield being at full voice, I have no doubt it will be. I'm more concerned with Zenit, if they score I think we've got a monumental task because I can't see us scoring 4 goals against a team of their quality, especially without Sturridge and Coutinho. The key to going through in 120mins is keeping a clean sheet, not Anfield.

If it goes to penalties however, Anfield will be the deciding factor (in our favour ;)). Come on Reds!!
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #45: Feb 20, 2013 04:37:50 am
      I think we can pull this out of the fire.

Our first 15 minutes, we have to make it pure hell for Zenit! I fondly remember a few years back when we went for the jugular of Real Madrid, in the Champions League, and choked them to death.

We scored early and could've been a bloodbath. I'll never forget how we didn't let them breathe. What a momentous week that was with the 1-4 annihilation of the Scum as well.

What a pity we can't use Sturridge and Coutinho, as we'd be a shoe-in for the win. I still fancy our chances 3-1. But that won't be enough.

We should at least be able to take it to extra time, but a clean sheet is a must.

I'm sure Luis and Stevie will be up for this. Let's hope the whole team is as well. If we are sharp in front of goals, I'm confident of progressing, as we always seem to create enough chances.

Let's make this another St.Etienne, Auxerre, Olympiakos and Istanbul moment.

Come on you Reds!!  :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6821 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #46: Feb 20, 2013 05:27:31 am
      Fantastic opening post Brian. A + for you mate.

Love the Title.

Too right the Crowd are going to play a massive part in this game. A week ago I remember reading on here that Celtic were playing a Champs league match at home and posters were astounded by the noise the crowd were making. Now it's our turn to MAKE SOME F***ing NOISE. Anything they can do, we can do 5 times better so let's turn up the amp at Anfield and get the crowd rocking.

I want to hear YNWA belted out louder than ever before. I want to hear non stop songs and noise from our crowd. Frighten the F**k out of Zenit and their supporters. Scoring within the first 5 minutes will go along way to silencing their mob, if we do that my pre match prediction of 4-0 to us could and should become a reality.

As much as the crowd will play a major role in this tie, so to should the lads. It's up to them to set the tempo of the match, run, chase, harass those fuckers every time they get the ball. Never give up and most importantly TAKE YOUR F***ing CHANCES LADS.

COOMMMMMMMEEEEEEEOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN   

RRRRROOOOOOAAAAAARRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #47: Feb 20, 2013 07:12:41 am
      I'm guessing the majority of the players in our current team has never feel yet the full force support of the Kop, the memorable atmosphere that the supporters can create especially on European nights. When Anfield rocks, i believe even our own team will be overwhelm by it. This will in turn fire the players to perform extraordinarily well to overcome Zenit. I'm hoping this will be the psychological factor for our victory against Zenit and the motivation to win all our remaining games and snatch that last CL spot from Spurs.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #48: Feb 20, 2013 07:22:56 am

I'm getting the nerves.  Hope it’s only me, I'm sh*t*ng myself.

Spalletti is a shrewd tactician.  If I thought with my head he would do one over BR without Br realizes he's been done.  And when he realizes it’s going to be too late.

The only way we beat them is rightly so by this thread name.  Form, head to heads, stats all go out the window.

Spalletti's got the added luxury of playing attacking or defensive football and will one or the other or a mixture of both to win the match.

The way I see it he will allow us to have the passing game in our half being a typical Italian.  Top quality strikers at his disposal has been turned into attacking midfielders but got the opposition thinking they are playing as strikers.  The heart and engine of his side is dynamic and the finishing is lethal from outside the box or inside.  Excellent attacking midfielders but who in reality are in world class striker men.  Than you got the flanks pushing up in attack making in theory a  6 man midfield in defence; and a 4 2 or 4 1 1 in attack.

Therefore the key to their weakness will be their defence and keeper.  Anfield will have to keep pressing, pressing, pressing them, and forcing Spalletti to fall back with AM now acting as a DM.  We are not Barca but believe you in me when I watched Liverpool play in the hay days it was much better than Barca now.  So a good mix of basic ball retention /passing and individual flair/pinpoint pass, cutting edge pass, threading pass is needed along with the quick and mind dazzling one two's or 3's.

This has now nullified Zenit and Anfield are on top of them hopefully a goal up and playing with supreme confidence.  The AM's now DM's haven't a clue what to do and a second goal should be smashed in by Anfield.  The wily Italian is reeling and looking to make changes.  Throwing his dice for fresh pair of legs, most probably a defender to tighten things up at the back and another class striker.  A change of formation perhaps with his traditional AM's now converted into Full Strikers.

Anfield will stand strong in this face of adversity and the philosophies enshrined to us by our Liverbird without a shadow of a doubt will make us Proud Red Men.

Thought this below article also describes the ethos of our club well.
      "Yet I would say that whatever of new invention comes to complicate existence for the Riflemen now and in the future, you need have no misgivings as to the spirit in which he will set about his task. The old traditions will persist and his soldierly qualities will prove equal to every demand. His cheerfulness in good times and bad, simplicity and straightforwardness, vigour and activity, courage and endurance, quick response to sympathy and fair dealing, and ready acceptance of an ideal for which to work, all will see him through. None who has known him but has felt a very genuine affection for the sturdy little man from the hills, and those to whom he has given his confidence, he has never failed.”

when needed and flair

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2013 09:11:34 am by Venison 86 »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #49: Feb 20, 2013 11:10:40 am
      As others have said, I would feel a lot more confident if Sturridge was available. Think we have to be much more aggresive in midfield than we were against them last time, hope Suarez has his shooting boots on and that Gerrard can remember how he used to pull games out of the fire for us once upon a time.

Think we will win, not as sure we will win by enough to go through.

Sterling to replace Sturridge otherwise same team that destroyed Swansea. 
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,528 posts | 3466 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #50: Feb 20, 2013 11:39:44 am
      I see we've got an extra 1000 tickets back from Zenit, disappointed that sturridge isn't available, we have no gam for more than a week so hopefully we'll rip into them and make Hulk sh*t his extremely large shorts.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,506 posts | 2871 
      Reply #51: Feb 20, 2013 12:19:13 pm
      Kind of shows you how sh*te the atmosphere has been when the offal has so many articles up from players saying they need the fans on top form.

If we don't score one within the first twenty minutes I'm pretty sure it'll go back to being a library again.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #52: Feb 20, 2013 12:29:06 pm
      Considering how big a game this is I can't believe there isn't a pre match thread yet. 

I'd start one but I'm rubbish at them so if someone else fancies a go... :angel:
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #53: Feb 20, 2013 12:30:16 pm
      Spalletti is a Wily E. Cayote we've gotta do a Road Blade Runner on him.

:f_run:
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #54: Feb 20, 2013 12:35:36 pm
      Great title Brian. If any supporters needed any more encouragement, I am sure they have got it now. Everyone highlights the "Great big Anfield problem" and I have to admit, it is not something I have particularly noticed until the last few months. However, it is becoming an increasing worry. All this bullshit about the Europa League not being important needs to be eroded away. This club exists to win trophies and be the best around. The Europa League is by no means the European Cup but we play in the competition to win, not to just have a few friendly kick-abouts.

I will admit to feeling very disheartened after the game last week. We didn't do an awful lot wrong, just silly mistakes and Zenit maybe had that extra bit of class, i.e. Hulk etc. But, there is no reason to suggest that if we can nick a goal in the first half, we can't go on to win. The main worry for me is our defense. We need to stay focused at the back as they are likely to hit us on the break.

A lot will be made about the players having a role to play and that would be accurate. But the fans owe a lot. A proper Anfield atmosphere Redmen!

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #55: Feb 20, 2013 02:11:43 pm
      It might only be the Europa League, but I can't wait for this tomorrow night.

Hope Anfield is rocking.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,489 posts | 8675 
      Reply #56: Feb 20, 2013 02:20:03 pm
      Those that know and all that!

Time to bring the noise bring Zenit to their F***ing knees like we have done with Roma, Barca, Leverkusen, Juve, Chelsea, Inter, Madrid and all the rest of the teams we've psychologically broken down before the the games even started.

THE REDS ARE COMING UP THE HILL BOYS!!
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #57: Feb 20, 2013 04:35:55 pm
      As others have said, I would feel a lot more confident if Sturridge was available. Think we have to be much more aggresive in midfield than we were against them last time, hope Suarez has his shooting boots on and that Gerrard can remember how he used to pull games out of the fire for us once upon a time.

Think we will win, not as sure we will win by enough to go through.

Sterling to replace Sturridge otherwise same team that destroyed Swansea. 

What about Coutinho?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #58: Feb 20, 2013 04:51:52 pm

He's cup tied isn't he?
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #59: Feb 20, 2013 07:53:55 pm

That's what I was trying to say, he didn't say who would play instead of him. :p
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #60: Feb 20, 2013 07:54:00 pm
      Considering how big a game this is I can't believe there isn't a pre match thread yet. 

I'd start one but I'm rubbish at them so if someone else fancies a go... :angel:

I thought thei was the pre match thread until I got home tonight and seen one started.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #61: Feb 20, 2013 07:56:12 pm
      I thought thei was the pre match thread until I got home tonight and seen one started.

I think a few of us did Si  ;)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #62: Feb 20, 2013 07:57:22 pm

Wrote my team out and everything.

I just thought Brian was being lazy :f_tongueincheek:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      Reply #63: Feb 20, 2013 07:58:32 pm

Sorry lads maybe I should have just called this Anfield on Thursday. I was trying to get the feeling across the board how important the crowd will be tomorrow and that the feeling should be one of its Anfield v Zenit
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      Reply #64: Feb 20, 2013 08:00:36 pm
      I just thought Brian was being lazy :f_tongueincheek:

Ha ha. To be honest I dont tend to start pre match threads Im pretty sh*te at them compared to some of the gang who add great pictures and stats etc   
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #65: Feb 20, 2013 08:00:51 pm
      Sorry lads maybe I should have just called this Anfield on Thursday. I was trying to get the feeling across the board how important the crowd will be tomorrow and that the feeling should be one of its Anfield v Zenit

I did get that originally mate but  when I logged on again yesterday I seen the thread again and just presumed ot was the match thread.

No harm done and I fully agree with the sentiments you were aiming at with this one.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #66: Feb 20, 2013 08:59:08 pm
      I for one think this is doable. I'm sure if we get an early goal, they will get the jitters and when will Louis miss 5 gilt edged chances in one match again ?
      We can open these up again but finish the chances we create. I've just got a gut feeling about this one. Once or twice a season I feel like this and not been dissapointed yet. And when I say 'I knew it, knew we would get through'   I get           oh yeahhh, course you did.   Well here it is lads, up front and going through. COME ON YOU MIGHTY RED MEN !
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,132 posts | 127 
      Reply #67: Feb 20, 2013 09:40:53 pm
      This is the chance for the the Anfield crowd to show its true colours. Ive been to a few games this season, and (even last season), I was p**ed off to hear the away support singing 'wheres your famous atmosphere'.
      Lets give it loads lads and lasses, and if you hear singing just follow it, dont be shy, others around you will get into it I promise, wherever you are in the ground.. Even SG has asked for our support, so lets all be there for him.
      Have a great night fellow reds.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #68: Feb 20, 2013 09:48:50 pm
      I will be there, I will be in The Kop and will give it my all as always. I'm sure everyone will and we'll all stand for 90 minutes as well.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #69: Feb 20, 2013 11:15:13 pm
       "We need the fans in the stadium early. We need them to pump the atmosphere up as early as they can, to get our players going when we're warming up, to get us fired up to go right from the off and to try and intimidate their players.

"There's lots of top players quoted throughout the world saying how difficult it is to play at Anfield when the crowd makes that sort of a noise. That's what we want. That's what we need."

Steven Gerrard on the role of the Anfield crowd during Thursday's Europa League tie against Zenit St Petersburg

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #70: Feb 21, 2013 01:22:13 am
      The equation is simple. Win or bust. Am I wrong in thinking that this could potentially be a watershed moment for Brendan, the fans and the team if we can really right the wrongs of last week? This is a chance for us, as fans, to re live and more importantly re capture the spirit of Liverpool at Anfield once more. It's there if we want it. Tomorrow night.

It's very early on in Rodger's Liverpool era but for me, this IS its biggest match yet.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #71: Feb 21, 2013 08:07:18 am
      12 Hours to go

Strutting round in my Liverpool shirt telling everyone we'll hammer these.

Tomorrow could be an awful day
      redno7
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts | 18 
      Reply #72: Feb 21, 2013 09:02:53 am
      I woke up feeling like tonight is Xmas Eve, butterflies in the belly, mind doing cartwheels...       I just hope Brendan turns into Santa and his team of Elves delivers the best non xmas present ever.

Come on Red men.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6821 
      Reply #73: Feb 21, 2013 09:25:31 am
      Don't know how I will be able to sleep tonight. Might have to roll a supa dupa.  ;)

Come on You Reds. Do us proud.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #74: Feb 21, 2013 11:22:23 am

Excellent idea.

Leave what is working and replace on the non-eligible players. Unfortunately, our friend Brendan Rogers does do that. It chop and change.

We should play the same team as last Sunday barring of course Sturridge and Scoutinho.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #75: Feb 21, 2013 11:24:37 am
      Don't know how I will be able to sleep tonight. Might have to roll a supa dupa.  ;)

Come on You Reds. Do us proud.

A supa dupa what? Dice? Rolling Pin?

;)
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #76: Feb 21, 2013 11:32:13 am
      How whatever it is it's also laced with the purest cocaine ;)
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #77: Feb 21, 2013 11:42:24 am
      How whatever it is it's also laced with the purest cocaine ;)

That has reminded me off this, about 20 seconds in:

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=14529

Anyway, back on topic. Big atmosphere, big performance.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6821 
      Reply #78: Feb 21, 2013 11:42:55 am
      A supa dupa what? Dice? Rolling Pin?

;)

Pizza  :P
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #79: Feb 21, 2013 12:16:34 pm
      was having a sad day Semple!  Thanks for cheering me up!  :gt-happyup:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #80: Feb 21, 2013 12:17:44 pm
      Setting off for Liverpool within the next hour, I don't think I've been this pumped up for a game for a long time, we just have to win tonight, I reckon if we get an early goal within the first 15 mins and another one just before half time, then it will be game on for the second half.

Keep it nice and tight at the back, no Sktrel tonight so we will have Carra's experience at the back with Agger, i hope Gerrard plays just behind Suarez, he's gonna miss Sturridge tonight, make sure the midfield give Luis plenty of help and support when he's bombing forward.

We can then get a 3rd in the second half and we may even manage a 4th when they go to peices and see the KOP baying for their blood, I just hope EVERYONE who is in Anfield tonight gives it their all, I know I will.

Enjoy the game everyone, come on you mighty redmen !!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #81: Feb 21, 2013 12:32:07 pm
      Setting off for Liverpool within the next hour, I don't think I've been this pumped up for a game for a long time, we just have to win tonight, I reckon if we get an early goal within the first 15 mins and another one just before half time, then it will be game on for the second half.

Keep it nice and tight at the back, no Sktrel tonight so we will have Carra's experience at the back with Agger, i hope Gerrard plays just behind Suarez, he's gonna miss Sturridge tonight, make sure the midfield give Luis plenty of help and support when he's bombing forward.

We can then get a 3rd in the second half and we may even manage a 4th when they go to peices and see the KOP baying for their blood, I just hope EVERYONE who is in Anfield tonight gives it their all, I know I will.

Enjoy the game everyone, come on you mighty redmen !!!

Have a good one Cas.
      Hopefully others step up to fill the boots of Sturridge and Coutinho.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #82: Feb 21, 2013 12:38:41 pm
      Have a good one Cas.
      Hopefully others step up to fill the boots of Sturridge and Coutinho.

Cheers Racer, nervous as hell !!!

Lets hope so eh.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #83: Feb 21, 2013 06:46:14 pm
      I hope Anfield is buzzing tonight and give the lads an atmosphere to spur them on.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #84: Feb 21, 2013 10:23:21 pm
      I think we can say the fans turned it up tonight , sounded great .
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #85: Feb 21, 2013 10:25:15 pm
      I think we can say the fans turned it up tonight , sounded great .

Agree there. Watched the match on a shitty stream and Anfield was rocking. Would love to hear what it was like for those at the ground.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,489 posts | 8675 
      Reply #86: Feb 22, 2013 04:17:44 am
      Agree there. Watched the match on a shitty stream and Anfield was rocking. Would love to hear what it was like for those at the ground.

Not bad but would be way down the list in terms of how loud I've heard the crowd in previous European games.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #87: Feb 22, 2013 10:08:54 am
      Proud of the reds last night and the crowd for playing their part. Showed amazing character and b***s to come back and score 3 goals after conceding early on from yet another error by the backline many times this season? Nevertheless proud of the team and was a great watch now lets try get as far up the table as possible and end the season on a high! YNWA
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6821 
      Reply #88: Feb 22, 2013 09:06:04 pm
      I'm holding my head up high after last night. Crowd were amazing, the lads did everything they could do but just couldn't get the 4th goal. Gutted!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #89: Feb 22, 2013 09:15:53 pm
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #90: Feb 22, 2013 09:43:51 pm

Absolutely phenomenal. Love how Mourinho clapped our crowd, the c**t  :laugh:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #91: Feb 22, 2013 10:06:20 pm
      Absolutely phenomenal. Love how Mourinho clapped our crowd, the c**t  :laugh:

I have a feeling Mourinho has a big admiration for us as a club and if we had bags of money he'd be dying to get a job here.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,489 posts | 8675 
      Reply #92: Feb 22, 2013 10:13:01 pm
      I have a feeling Mourinho has a big admiration for us as a club and if we had bags of money he'd be dying to get a job here.

He does, heard him mention our 84 team a few times that stuffed Benfica, let's not forget he had handbags with Rafa and was probably a little bit upset to miss out on the job in 2004. He was leading contender to  get the job until he did his jig down the touchline at OT and Parry decided he wasn't the right man for us and went for Rafa instead.

Being totally honest, he would have had the same rapport with the fans the way Rafa did.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #93: Feb 22, 2013 11:00:41 pm
      He does, heard him mention our 84 team a few times that stuffed Benfica, let's not forget he had handbags with Rafa and was probably a little bit upset to miss out on the job in 2004. He was leading contender to  get the job until he did his jig down the touchline at OT and Parry decided he wasn't the right man for us and went for Rafa instead.

Being totally honest, he would have had the same rapport with the fans the way Rafa did.

As much as he does irritate me HR I tend to agree that if he did get the job back then we as fans would have warmed to him in a similar fashion to Rafa.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #94: Feb 22, 2013 11:18:55 pm
      How can I describe last night.........Kop bouncing and buzzing from start to finish, the atmosphere was absolutely brilliant, strangers hugging me when we scored, almost everybody seemed to be on the same wavelength and it was brilliant to stand there, to sing, cheer and shout till I was hoarse.....what a very very special night.

Met up with Semple before the game and had a drink in the Sandon when Higgy Sham came in to see us, boss to meet you Andy and I hope the long journey home was made worthwhile for you as I dont think the lads could have done any more, they all gave 110% and more as did the crowd.

Gutted we're out, really wanted a trip to Amsterdam  :(

We just have to concentrate on getting as high up the League as possible now.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #95: Feb 22, 2013 11:27:57 pm
      How can I describe last night.........Kop bouncing and buzzing from start to finish, the atmosphere was absolutely brilliant, strangers hugging me when we scored, almost everybody seemed to be on the same wavelength and it was brilliant to stand there, to sing, cheer and shout till I was hoarse.....what a very very special night.

Met up with Semple before the game and had a drink in the Sandon when Higgy Sham came in to see us, boss to meet you Andy and I hope the long journey home was made worthwhile for you as I dont think the lads could have done any more, they all gave 110% and more as did the crowd.

Gutted we're out, really wanted a trip to Amsterdam  :(

We just have to concentrate on getting as high up the League as possible now.

Despite the result it did appear a great night to be at the game and I'm even more gutted I missed it now. I'd planned to go over with Higgy but couldnt make it as you know Cas.
      « Last Edit: Feb 22, 2013 11:42:49 pm by srslfc »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #96: Feb 22, 2013 11:39:20 pm
      Despite the result it did appear a great night to be at the game and I'm even mote gutted I missed it now. I'd planned to go over with Higgy but couldnt make it as you know Cas.

Yeah, real shame you couldnt make it Si,  it was a tremendous night despite the result, Carra's last European game as well  :(
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #97: Feb 23, 2013 12:42:18 am

Yeah no doubt about it, any great manager has admiration for great clubs even if they're enemies....apart from old whiskey nose the bitter sod!

Quick Reply