Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Henderson or Allen? One? Both? Or None of Them

Read 10724 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Henderson or Allen? One? Both? Or None of Them
      Reply #69: Mar 02, 2013 09:47:38 pm
      I say both Henderson and Allen. They each bring different things and play different roles, both are young with glimpses of promising talent. But, sometimes people can't see the forest from the trees and will be overly harsh on one or the other.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #70: Mar 02, 2013 10:24:12 pm
      Henderson is going to be very good playing where Gerrard is now. Allen was supposed to be late but doesn't look to have the same ability there as Hendo. I think Henderson backs up Gerrard until he retires and I think Allen Should backup Henderson
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #71: Mar 02, 2013 10:33:28 pm
      At the moment Henderson is way ahead of Allen but the unfortunate thing for Joe is he isn't as versatile as Jordan and Gerrard plays in his best position and in great form.

We will only see the best of Allen if and when he can get ahead of Stevie in the team.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #72: Mar 02, 2013 10:40:10 pm
      At the moment Henderson is way ahead of Allen but the unfortunate thing for Joe is he isn't as versatile as Jordan and Gerrard plays in his best position and in great form.

We will only see the best of Allen if and when he can get ahead of Stevie in the team.

Agree with you mate and think Stevie will be playing for many years before Joe can get anywhere near displacing him in the side. Was surprised to see Allen get the nod over Henderson in that position to be honest and also surprised to see many thinking he had a decent game as I thought he was well below par and one of the few negatives from the match today.

There were a few moments were Joe's poor fit for the position screamed at you, the ball bounced loose in the Wigan area and Coutinho started 3 yards behind Joe and in an effort to get close to it ended up having to push Joe out of the way. His first thought is always too cautious and seems, as you say, suited to a role much deeper in midfield. The second time was when he had a chance to challenge for the ball when it dropped in the Wigan penalty area and he got challenged, if he'd of committed fully I'm convinced he'd of scored but would of taken a whack, his hesitation meant it looked like more of a 50/50, again it was that initial moment of thought rather than instinct that he doesn't have. Had a similar incident later in the game where to be fair to him was much more committed, was just a better challenge by the defender that stopped him getting a shot off at goal, simply a poor fit for that role in the team though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #73: Mar 02, 2013 10:42:58 pm
      Agree mate.

On current form Allen hasn't a hope in hell of ousting Gerrard and also in my opinion is below Henderson as well and despite the win today I don't think he played that well.

I do think there is a player there but he can't play in the position he was asked to today and if he isnt playing in Gerrards position then he shouldnt be in the side at the minute.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #74: Mar 03, 2013 05:25:00 am
      Allen was average yesterday except for some quality passes which is his trademark, he still content himself with sideways and backward passes without intending to move the ball forward. It seems that he contents himself of being just a relay and then he'll create from the front but never from the back like Gerrard and Lucas try to do. Hendo was out of position and played few minutes. we cannot compare them. But still Hendo is better than Allen.
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #75: Mar 03, 2013 05:46:47 am
      I see Allen as a bigger talent than Hendo and can do more. If we really tried to focus him on the areas he needs to improve on (which I trust BR can) then we're good to go. Allen destroyed at Swansea, it's no wonder he's the Welsh Xavi
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack

• 272 posts |
      Reply #76: Mar 04, 2013 12:46:34 am
      I'd train Henderson to play DM as competition for Lucas. Henderson has stamina and strength. Not sure his attacking attributes makes him an AM. Lucas was formerly an attacking midfielder. Could work though with Henderson for DM position.
      took the words out of my mouth
      jomurph
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #77: Mar 11, 2013 06:47:12 pm
      Bit of a mixed bag with the replies on here. Dont shoot the messenger here, this is just my opinion. I personally think that they are both good players but I feel that Allen will add more to the team in the future than Henderson. Like I have previously said, Allen was brought in to play a specific role in a specific system and unfortunately I dont think has been able to play that role yet. He was outstanding for the first month or so and played in the DM role and sitting and more advanced roles so as yet he has not played in the same position for a number of games on the bounce. Sturridges arrival and BR's focus on more attacking football means that there are only 2 midfield roles available and they go to Lucas and SG no matter how they play. I am not here to slate any player for performances as i know its all about consistency and those 2 players have more than proved their worth to LFC over the years.....BUT, I dont think Lucas is at the same level since his most recent injury comeback and as much as I love SG i think he does not suit that 'Barcelona style play' that BR is trying to create. I have watched a lot of games of Allen as I saw quite a lot of Swansea games last season and his game is all about quick one and 2 touch passing and opposition players cant get near him. In LFC he is getting caught in possession and as people are quick to point out, muscled off the ball?? How come he didnt get muscled off the ball in previous PL seasons? Its because of the system he was playing. If BR wants to create that system then its Allen for me. If he doesnt and he wants to play a more physical, direct style of play then Henderson fits better but i know which style I would prefer to see. I think longer term with the likes of Coutinho, Suso etc then it has to be Allen as he really does make the team tick when he is on song. I dont know if anyone saw the Mail's feature on most valuable players a week or so ago. Very interesting. Check out the link    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2258352/Robin-van-Persie-valuable-player-Premier-League--team.html
      Tommy#Benfica
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | 12 
      Reply #78: Mar 12, 2013 01:46:20 am
      Allen is great!
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #79: Mar 12, 2013 01:33:04 pm
      Hendo
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #80: Mar 12, 2013 02:57:10 pm
      Bit of a mixed bag with the replies on here. Dont shoot the messenger here, this is just my opinion. I personally think that they are both good players but I feel that Allen will add more to the team in the future than Henderson. Like I have previously said, Allen was brought in to play a specific role in a specific system and unfortunately I dont think has been able to play that role yet. He was outstanding for the first month or so and played in the DM role and sitting and more advanced roles so as yet he has not played in the same position for a number of games on the bounce. Sturridges arrival and BR's focus on more attacking football means that there are only 2 midfield roles available and they go to Lucas and SG no matter how they play. I am not here to slate any player for performances as i know its all about consistency and those 2 players have more than proved their worth to LFC over the years.....BUT, I dont think Lucas is at the same level since his most recent injury comeback and as much as I love SG i think he does not suit that 'Barcelona style play' that BR is trying to create. I have watched a lot of games of Allen as I saw quite a lot of Swansea games last season and his game is all about quick one and 2 touch passing and opposition players cant get near him. In LFC he is getting caught in possession and as people are quick to point out, muscled off the ball?? How come he didnt get muscled off the ball in previous PL seasons? Its because of the system he was playing. If BR wants to create that system then its Allen for me. If he doesnt and he wants to play a more physical, direct style of play then Henderson fits better but i know which style I would prefer to see. I think longer term with the likes of Coutinho, Suso etc then it has to be Allen as he really does make the team tick when he is on song. I dont know if anyone saw the Mail's feature on most valuable players a week or so ago. Very interesting. Check out the link    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2258352/Robin-van-Persie-valuable-player-Premier-League--team.html

A paragraph or two might have convinced me to have a read of what you had to say mate.

Good grief.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #81: Mar 12, 2013 03:06:44 pm
      Henderson has performed better than Allen when given the opportunity this season.

Both will be decent players, not spectacular, but good options to have.
      jomurph
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #82: Mar 13, 2013 01:20:07 pm
      Sorry SRSLFC!
      Is that better?
      I will do better in future
      The content was worth a read in my opinion
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #83: Mar 13, 2013 05:26:03 pm
      The Enter key should be everybody's friend.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #84: Mar 13, 2013 10:41:24 pm
      I personally think that the fans who have already shut the door on Allen being a top Liverpool player will all look a bit stupid in 12 months time. He was one of our best players for the first 2 months of the season. He had a wobble mid-season, lost form and confidence and should have lost his place a little sooner than he did. However, he now seems to be playing himself back into a bit of form and I remain confident that he will be a very good player for LFCfor a number of years. I agree that he doesn't quite suit the CAM role but with Stevie playing so well in a deeper role (i'm not sure BR would have originally intended for Stevie to play in this spot) he might have to bide his time to get playing time in his favoured spot. If you watch some of his highlight reels for Swansea last season (I watched em all when we were being linked with the lad) he often travelled with the ball and provided the link between defence and attack so I believe he should be able to play the role at LFC.

He does do his best work in tight areas, playing in triangles, at high tempo etc and the lad has a fantastic touch. I don't think anyone can argue with this? Rodgers just needs him to be looking to play forwards a little more often and I think we will see this from the player as his confidence improves.

As for Hendo, he was doing very well in the 10 role (somehow!) but seems to have fallen out of favour somewhat in the last few matches. His attributes don't really lend themselves to playing at 10. He isn't particularly creative or blessed with vision and he isn't the greatest dribller BUT (as has been pointed out) he does play with tremendous energy, he moves the ball quickly and he is an intelligent player who often makes and creates space for others with his running.

Of the two, I'd fancy Allen to have the longer LFC career and it wouldn't surprise me too much too see Hendo (along with Shelvey) moved on in the summer if any decent bids come in from other clubs.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #85: Mar 14, 2013 08:51:34 am
      Allen will be here next season Henderson won't be
      Or so i've heard quite right too imo..
      jomurph
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #86: Mar 14, 2013 09:30:15 am
      Totally agree with you Scottbot.

I too have watched a lot of Allen and there is no doubt that he has fantastic qualities and those that should suit BR style of playing. Also agree that he was truly outstanding for us in first 2 months or so and I remember a lot of the comments on here comparing him to Alonso and saying he was a passing robot etc and it saddens me although doesnt surprise me that our 'fans' write him off when he hits some poor form and has been playing through a serious shoulder injury so it seems?

With Henderson I just think that he is an 'athlete'. He runs around a lot, has beefed up a bit and is more physically threatening than Allen but other than that I dont see what he offers.
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #87: Mar 14, 2013 10:48:59 am
      I'll keep both as in time Allen & Henderson will replace our captain as Gerrard will not be around for much longer so our future midfield may consist of Allen, Henderson & Lucas who will all bring their own to the midfield who in total may be greater the total of Gerrard himself!...Not saying that they will be the world's best midfield like we had once, but another midfield akin to Case, Kennedy, Souness would suit me fine!
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #88: Mar 14, 2013 01:27:10 pm
      I'll keep both as in time Allen & Henderson will replace our captain as Gerrard will not be around for much longer so our future midfield may consist of Allen, Henderson & Lucas who will all bring their own to the midfield who in total may be greater the total of Gerrard himself!...Not saying that they will be the world's best midfield like we had once, but another midfield akin to Case, Kennedy, Souness would suit me fine!

You can't be serious comparing Allen Henderson & Lucas to Jimmy Case, Ray Kennedy & Graeme Souness mate
       Souness on his own was better than the 3 of them put together
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #89: Mar 14, 2013 01:58:19 pm
      You can't be serious comparing Allen Henderson & Lucas to Jimmy Case, Ray Kennedy & Graeme Souness mate
       Souness on his own was better than the 3 of them put together
      No, not comparing them!...if they can get as good as these guys were as a midfield unit!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #90: Apr 01, 2013 10:20:23 pm
      No, not comparing them!...if they can get as good as these guys were as a midfield unit!

Not as long as you've got a hole in your arse mate !
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #91: Apr 01, 2013 10:24:55 pm
      Strange how things turn around,. When this topic was first launched, I would have gone for Allen for his better ball retention and passing ability. Now I would go for Henderson as I think he has improved loads. He's stronger, covers everywhere, his passing has improved and he actually looks like he knows what his role is now.
      Still don't think either are the calibre of player we need to dominate games in midfield, but of the two, my opinion has reversed.  Maybe time will tell.

Quick Reply