Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Which defenders would you like LFC to bring in and how many?

Read 9704 times
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Which defenders would you like LFC to bring in and how many?
      Feb 22, 2013 10:24:01 am
      After another mistake from defense last night i believe we need MAJOR strengthing at CB with Carra retiring and Coates and Skrtel just not good enough for where we want to be. I believe we need 3 CB's in the summer mixed with experience and youth. Defenders i would like to see come in are:

Howedes from Schalke fantastic old school defender who is still youngish at 24 who can operate at CB, RB or CM if needed. He would be costly though probably around 10/15 mil but would be well worth it.

Toby Alderweireld from Ajax looks a very promising and hitting into his prime at the age of 23.

I would also like Ashley Williams whatever you say about him he knows how to defend as well as he can play on his feet and i think him and Agger would compliment each other big time. As well as this BR knows him and will know how to get the best out of him even though hes 28 going on 29 need experience.
      « Last Edit: Feb 22, 2013 11:27:02 am by Venison 86 »
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Re: Which defenders would you like LFC to bring in and how many?
      Reply #1: Feb 22, 2013 12:57:04 pm
      Ryan Shawcross would be a good shout to replace Carragher as a no nonsense defender with some good tutoring from the LFC staff to get up to a better level as has potential to do better.

Ya would think Rodgers would have asked Carragher on his opinion as who to target as replacements...
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #2: Feb 22, 2013 01:14:57 pm
      If we don't sell anyone we only need one. I think there are other areas we need to improve in so we're in no position to buy three defenders really unless we get a massive fee for Skrtel.

New CB, Agger, Skrtel and Coates should be fine. Even if Coates leaves, Kelly/Wisdom can be fourth choice and start to get some game time at CB.

Not sure who we should target really. Heard good things about Howedes but I've not seen him play. From the Premier League only Shawcross and Williams interest me.
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #3: Feb 22, 2013 01:23:35 pm
      Did anybody in the Zenit backline impress you?...Leto reminded me of Ricardo Carvalho for his cynical defending but efficient. Also Hoboran (spl) impressed me with his commitment to throw himself into every challenge in trying to clear the lines.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: Feb 22, 2013 02:33:36 pm
      If we don't sell anyone we only need one. I think there are other areas we need to improve in so we're in no position to buy three defenders really unless we get a massive fee for Skrtel.

New CB, Agger, Skrtel and Coates should be fine. Even if Coates leaves, Kelly/Wisdom can be fourth choice and start to get some game time at CB.

Not sure who we should target really. Heard good things about Howedes but I've not seen him play. From the Premier League only Shawcross and Williams interest me.

Coates will not be a Liverpool Player next year and i dont think BR is too keen on Skrtel if he can get a good price for him id say he's off that leaves us 3 short with Carra retiring...i agree Wisdom to move into CB because has no chance at RB with GJ & Kelly back. Shawcross would be a great addition proper CB!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8685 
      Reply #5: Feb 22, 2013 02:42:06 pm
      It'll be Ashley Williams, absolutely nailed on!!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #6: Feb 22, 2013 03:31:20 pm
      When I say I should be LFC scout, I'm not joking! ;D

I've been talking about Howedes long before he had even made it as a first team regular at Schalke. He's now a German international and Schalke's captain. He's very commanding in the heart of defense. Often plays on the right side as well.

I like the look of Alderweireld as well but haven't seen him play enough.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #7: Feb 22, 2013 03:50:43 pm
      Hope it aint Ashley Williams. Far from convinced about him.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #8: Feb 22, 2013 04:43:32 pm
      Really don't want Williams, is he the Welsh Pique? He's good for Swansea as was Allen, but for Liverpool Football Club you're havin' a f***in larfff!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #9: Feb 22, 2013 04:47:31 pm
      Really don't want Williams, is he the Welsh Pique?

Pique's sh*te.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,394 posts | 1025 
      Reply #10: Feb 22, 2013 05:38:07 pm
      Hope it aint Ashley Williams. Far from convinced about him.

Me too, just wish Brendan would cast his net a bit further than Swansea!
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #11: Feb 22, 2013 05:41:25 pm
      Inigo Martinez and Dejan Lovren.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #12: Feb 22, 2013 05:46:42 pm
      I wouldn't write Martin Skrtel off just yet. A year ago everyone was raving about him, and he's definately good enough to be in our squad. When he's playing well he's a very good centre half.

I agree though we'll probably need two. Coates isn't IMHO going to be ever good enough, whie Carra is stepping down. I've a hunch Wisdom might develop into a proper centre half despite his relative lack of height, while many hold out hopes that Kelly will become one (I don't but I've been wrong before).

As for who o bring in, I really like Williams. He's my type of player, a good pro who's hungry and who you'd want on your side in a pub fight. I read today he's blocked more shots than any centre half in Europe this season, and my one and only reservation is that he'd cost a bomb. We probably coud find better value in Europe.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #13: Feb 22, 2013 06:10:08 pm
      Wisdom has got to be at least level height as Williams if not taller. Got a few years to grow some more too.
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1648 
      Reply #14: Feb 22, 2013 06:30:16 pm
      I wouldn't write Martin Skrtel off just yet. A year ago everyone was raving about him, and he's definately good enough to be in our squad. When he's playing well he's a very good centre half.

I agree though we'll probably need two. Coates isn't IMHO going to be ever good enough, whie Carra is stepping down. I've a hunch Wisdom might develop into a proper centre half despite his relative lack of height, while many hold out hopes that Kelly will become one (I don't but I've been wrong before).

As for who o bring in, I really like Williams. He's my type of player, a good pro who's hungry and who you'd want on your side in a pub fight. I read today he's blocked more shots than any centre half in Europe this season, and my one and only reservation is that he'd cost a bomb. We probably coud find better value in Europe.
      I'd definitely keep Skrtel, we can't keep complaining about lack of depth and then in the next breath say we should be getting rid of players who are more than capable of coming in and performing. I don't believe he is good enough to start week in-week out, but as 3rd choice, you'd struggle to find better IMO.

With regards to Williams, he's impressed me, but not massively, I think we could get better than him, especially for the price we will have to pay. I can't pretend to watch too much European football, I barely even watch English football apart from Liverpool! However, I'd much rather us pick up an established, strong presence, who can organise the defence, because when Carra retires, that's something we're going to miss more than anything else.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #15: Feb 22, 2013 07:16:49 pm
      Did anybody in the Zenit backline impress you?...Leto reminded me of Ricardo Carvalho for his cynical defending but efficient. Also Hoboran (spl) impressed me with his commitment to throw himself into every challenge in trying to clear the lines.

I'll tell you who impressed me... Neto.  He was always quickly up in our boys' nose whenever they cross into the final third. ..... and most importantly, his uncanny ability to dodge being carded. 
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16: Feb 22, 2013 07:47:11 pm

He's taller than Carra.

I disagree about williams, I really don't think he's very good at all.
      A decent journeyman pro, but not good enough for us if we want to progress.
      We should be replacing outgoing players with better ones, not worse.
      insua22
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #17: Feb 22, 2013 08:20:31 pm
      Ashley Williams is no improvement on Skrtel. Think we could get Raul Albiol? Arsenal have been linked with him fairly often but never us. He's quality.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #18: Feb 22, 2013 10:35:48 pm

Agree with all your points there.

Think Williams has been in the top three centre backs this season and he was also very impressive last season.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #19: Feb 23, 2013 04:01:39 am
      We need a top defender to not only replace Carra but to provide competition for our 1st choice pairing as well. I'd go for Mats Hummels. He's young, experience, definitely talented and of top quality. Agger & Skrtel will be thoroughly concern if a player like Hummels arrive at our club.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #20: Feb 23, 2013 05:24:53 am
      We need a top defender to not only replace Carra but to provide competition for our 1st choice pairing as well. I'd go for Mats Hummels. He's young, experience, definitely talented and of top quality. Agger & Skrtel will be thoroughly concern if a player like Hummels arrive at our club.
      ;D

As if he will come from BVB to here.
      chris__nuttall
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #21: Feb 23, 2013 07:12:26 am
      Ryan Shawcross or someone of his type. TAkes no sh!t and will be the first to give a rollicking if someone messes up. Williams hell no keep him in South Wales.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #22: Feb 23, 2013 07:34:26 am
      Nevin Subotic from BVB

Both he and Hummels are excellent

But if we want to be realistic, we could do with Shawcross, he has height and aggressivness.

Quick Reply