Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Suarez or Torres?

Read 10267 times
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Re: Suarez or Torres?
      Reply #46: Mar 13, 2013 05:36:15 pm
      No doubt on the preference here already!
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #47: Mar 13, 2013 06:27:46 pm
      We are discussing if Torres at his best was better than Luis today...actually its quite a compliment to Suarez just getting compared.

But a cold assesment to reach a conclusion:

Torres Cons

A) After Torres "prime seasons" (both of them) he could never replicate that form
      B) Torres had a team playing for him...and what a team! best midfield in the world
      C) Torres sulked when things didnt go his way
      D)Torres relied on his pace to score goals. Pace gone, for whatever resons, goals gone too
      E) Fernando didnt look like he could carry a team on his own.
      F) He does not strike me as having that "winning personnality"

Torres Pros

A) His finishing was lethal
      B)His pace was astonishing
      C) He bagged a shitload of goals at a phenomenal rate on his firts 2 years
      D) He was a marketing success (yes thats important too)

Now for Suarez:
      Cons

A) His temper has and will get him into trouble (please refer to Pros number 1)
      B) He does waste some chances Torres would have scored (please refer to Pros number 2)
      C) He does on ocasion shoot when he should pass
      D) He is hated by anyone outside Liverpool, Ajax and Uruguay (please refer to Pro number 4)
      E) His pace is nothing remarkable
      F) Im running on fumes here, so ill close with him not being a huge marketing asset.

Pros:

A)His temper fuels his desire to win
      B) He also scores chances Torres wouldnt score in a million years. So Torres scored the ones he should score...Suarez scored some of those and many of the ones you wouldnt expect him to.
      C) He assists his team mates a lot. How many has he got since he arrived. Even when he is selfish on acasions (most forwards are)
      D) The hatred of the world, and the support LFC fans have given him have, i bellieve, formed a bond hard to break, and ultimately makes him give that extra bit of sweat.
      E) His close control skill is something most players in the world dream of. Second only to Messi (yes i dont particularly rate Ronaldo in that department)
      F) He can hit a free kick
      G) He can take corners and out of bounds (no task is undeserving for him)
      E) He works his ass of untill the final whistle, even when you are 5-0 down or 6-0 up
      F) He went down to hell, told the devil to F**k off, and came back even better
      G) He really (really) hates Mancs
      H) He uses both feet almost equally (even when the majority of his goals came from his right, his shoting with the left is remarkable)
      I) He does not rely on pace, what will result in a longer "shelf life"...he could play at top level well into his 30s
      J) He can carry a team on his own, almost without support.
      K) He will do anything, to win even at great personal cost.
      L) Suarez would never leave to another PL club, he knows what respect is

And to finish with....Suarez is not in his prime yet, so...the best Luis is yet to come, and he is in my book already better than Fernando

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,545 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #48: Mar 13, 2013 07:41:35 pm
      I can't argue with that QuicoGalante
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #49: Mar 13, 2013 07:44:38 pm
      Of course it was all supposed to be about Suarez and Torres playing together and it would have been up till the last hour of that January window.

4 categories

1. Finishing :  Until last Autumn Torres. Now  its Suarez putting away impossible goals.
      2. Beating a defender one on one  :  Suarez.
      3. Work rate : Suarez.
      4. Attitude : Suarez.

and

5 Loyalty : Suarez.

Taking Carroll out of it we got Suarez for half the price received for Torres.
      Good deal.

I would hold off on the Loyalty thing, if Suarez left in the summer or next year he'd be held in the same esteem as FT.

Everything else bang on, Suarez exceeds Torres with ease.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #50: Mar 13, 2013 08:19:45 pm
      Suarez would never leave to join our rivals, that's fot sure! Torres wins for finishing, but Suarez wins in every other category.
      In all my years supporting the Reds, I don't recall a striker working as hard as Suarez this Season.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 233 
      Reply #51: Mar 13, 2013 09:46:53 pm
      I would hold off on the Loyalty thing, if Suarez left in the summer or next year he'd be held in the same esteem as FT.

Everything else bang on, Suarez exceeds Torres with ease.

It was the way Torres left as well. Half way through the season and to leave to Chelsea of all teams. If he went in the Summer to a team abroad, he would not get as much grief as he does now.
      bgwdivemaster
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts |
      Reply #52: Mar 14, 2013 04:55:08 am
      Finishing - Torres (in his prime)

All else Suarez

I would take Suarez over Torres any day.

Sidenote: I burned Fernando's book El Niño My story.  Sorry couldn't remain unbiased on how much he annoys me (dispite his prime finishing). Ill never be able to forget the way he skipped town in the middle of the night and went on with his nonsense about "I never kissed the badge"  :roll:
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #53: Mar 14, 2013 08:46:58 am
      I've seen both in the flesh over 50 times & i know who's the best Suarez

Torres was perfect in his 1st couple of season's he was the best striker in Europe
      We loved him more than we've ever loved centre forward in all my days watching Liverpool
      He delivered in spades scored against the sides we wanted him to Utd Chelsea Everton.
      Singing the bounce on the Kop was truly truly a wonderful joyous thing.
      But he betrayed us he thought he was better than us he is a Judas an outcast a Liar

Luis signing for us to play with Torres how must he have felt when just as he's being shown
      round his new temporary home with the mrs & the baby Judas hands in a transfer request.
      Did it get him down did he feel like he'd been duped did he sulk like a f***in toddler
      Did he F**k he got on with it played his bollox off every game & showed that charleton pr**k
      what being footballer is all about

Luis is not only double the player Torres is or ever was he's also 10 times the man.
      Would Torres have scored that goal he got against Spurs on sunday? No F***ing chance not
      even in his 1st season he wouldn't/couldn't have because he is not the natural the Luis is.

Luis has the gift the gift all the greats have no one can coach it & no one can learn it. It just the Gift.

If anyone out there doesn't believe in Karma take a look at Fernando Torres!!!!
      Too good for Liverpool Football Club Yeah Right on JUDAS...
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #54: Mar 16, 2013 05:56:22 am
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ0gMvbd3Pk

check out this little video of Torres' goals for some happy moments we shared with our former #9.  I dont dislike him or wish him ill.  this is football and ultimately players move.  We as a club have shipped out countless players that wanted to stay and same goes for the other way round.  It's like the summer fling we all have had... just cherish the good times that we shared :D

However, with that said... I think Suarez is better than torres in most regards... for clinical ability however, I would say they are tied.  One thing that Torres does have over Suarez was his blistering speed especially in  the first two years.  the video shows how darn fast he was... oh btw... I especially enjoy the goals against Manure. good memories  :lmao:

indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #55: Mar 16, 2013 06:25:41 am

check out this little video of Torres' goals for some happy moments we shared with our former #9.  I dont dislike him or wish him ill.  this is football and ultimately players move.  We as a club have shipped out countless players that wanted to stay and same goes for the other way round.  It's like the summer fling we all have had... just cherish the good times that we shared :D

However, with that said... I think Suarez is better than torres in most regards... for clinical ability however, I would say they are tied.  One thing that Torres does have over Suarez was his blistering speed especially in  the first two years.  the video shows how darn fast he was... oh btw... I especially enjoy the goals against Manure. good memories  :lmao:

Great goals those  :(
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,638 posts | 131 
      Reply #56: Mar 16, 2013 09:05:48 am

Seeing all that goals remembers me how much i loved this guy! I was really gutted when he left for Chel$ki. He will never say it loud, but i guess he  regrets his move to the Chaves. Fans are not loving him as much as we did! He was a fantastic striker, but playing for this great club wasn't enough for him in the long term! Just a pitty! Suarez has to prove this over the next years! Would love to say that he was one of the best number 7 had worn the red shirt!
      However Torres is/was a great striker, but Suarez is an even greater player. Torres was a very fine finisher and scored many fantastic goals! Luis Suarez is working his socks off every single game and he gives at least 100% on the pitch! He is carrying the team on his shoulders! Normally Luis Suarez deserves to play in the Champions Leage and compare himself to other top players!

1. Finishing :  Torres (Suarez is coming very close in recent time!)
      2. Beating a defender one on one  :  Suarez.
      3. Work rate : SUAREZ
      4. Attitude : SUAREZ

Summarizing all things, if i had the choice, i would pick Suarez over Torres all the time!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #57: Mar 16, 2013 09:39:26 am
      Not even close, Suarez by an absolute country mile and I was a big fan of Torres but Luis is different class.
      Says it all for me ^ ^... one was a good striker; the other, a great footballer.  :nod:
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #58: Mar 16, 2013 09:50:14 am
      Watching that video makes it even harder to understand how we won fck all with him and Stevie in their prime just shows how badly the club was run at that time ,its easy to see why them fckers gave us 50 mil looking at that ,someone should show him that and ask him how did you fck up so badly.

Suarez for me if for nothing else his work and desire for the team.Finishing wise them pair in their pomp together would have been breathtaking.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #59: Mar 16, 2013 12:14:49 pm

Depends where he goes though, if he goes abroad, no he won't be held in the same esteem as FT. If Torres had decided to F**k off to somewhere like Milan, Barca etc just for instance, he would be held in higher esteem than he is now. FACT!!

And if you want to throw Owen into the equation, he's hated because we brought him through as a kid and he ran down his contract so it would cost Madrid buttons, he should of been sold somewhere close to what Torres was sold for!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #60: Mar 16, 2013 10:05:45 pm
      Suarez easily.

As good as Torres was, he wasn't anywhere near as good as Suarez is. End of the day, Suarez can score any of the goals Torres scored in his time - including the headers because Luis is very handy in the air. I think there's been particular goals scored by Luis however than Torres wouldn't of scored.

And in terms of their all round play, Luis is more skillful, more aware of what's around him and grafts a lot more.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #61: Mar 20, 2013 07:45:37 pm
      Yeah, they can compare notes on how they fu**ed up their careers at the height of their game because we weren't good enough for them.

...  and retire as Non Legends as Mickey O is doing ... by his announcement today.

This is when it hits them for taking the dollar instead of the devotion.  Judas.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,545 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #62: Mar 20, 2013 08:20:42 pm
      Didn't Torres just turn 29?
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #63: Mar 21, 2013 03:57:50 am
      Truly two different types of strikers. I see Suarez as a more free-flowing movement striker while Torres is the deadly no 9. Suarez can look to waste more chances before scoring while Torres looks likely to score everytime he is in a scoring position. Remember the phrase in his song "he gets the ball, he scores again?"
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #64: Mar 21, 2013 09:22:58 pm
      Wouldn't be surprised if we see both at Anfield in the summer, just have a gut feeling we may end up with Torres on the cheap or on loan.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #65: Mar 21, 2013 10:15:38 pm
      For me it depends on who else is in your team. When Gerrard was behind Torres we were very dangerous. Torres gave gerrard room to run into and Gerrard gave Torres the kind of link up passing that enables him to score heaps of goals. But if you play a possession game and play inan around the opponents box then Torres isn't at his strongest. Suarez is an enigma, hes a very dangerous instinctive footballer and if you are a struggling team he will still do well. He can definitely play more systems than Torres. If they were both in their peak I would take both. If we played on the counter, probably Torres, if we played a range of styles or any other than counter attack probably Suarez
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #66: Mar 21, 2013 10:18:19 pm
      For me it depends on who else is in your team. When Gerrard was behind Torres we were very dangerous. Torres gave gerrard room to run into and Gerrard gave Torres the kind of link up passing that enables him to score heaps of goals. But if you play a possession game and play inan around the opponents box then Torres isn't at his strongest. Suarez is an enigma, hes a very dangerous instinctive footballer and if you are a struggling team he will still do well. He can definitely play more systems than Torres. If they were both in their peak I would take both. If we played on the counter, probably Torres, if we played a range of styles or any other than counter attack probably Suarez
      Haven't you seen Torres playing for spain?
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #67: Mar 22, 2013 12:25:30 am
      Wouldn't be surprised if we see both at Anfield in the summer, just have a gut feeling we may end up with Torres on the cheap or on loan.
      I wouldn't have a problem with that and it would be very interesting indeed .
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #68: Mar 22, 2013 08:38:45 am
      Haven't you seen Torres playing for spain?
      Don't think anyone's going to anytime soon. :p

Quick Reply