Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Downing Stick or Move?

Read 7531 times
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Downing Stick or Move?
      Mar 11, 2013 01:30:54 pm
      Downing is starting to show some of the form that we thought we were getting when we bought him. But is it too late and should we cash in when we have the chance? Or would you like to see him given another season even though he's one of the top earners in terms of wages?

Interested to hear different people's opinion on him.
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2013 02:15:49 pm by JD »
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Re: Downing Stick or Move?
      Reply #1: Mar 11, 2013 01:33:20 pm
      Can't criticise his effort that's for sure . I was one of the ones who thought he wouldn't last past January but he's proving people wrong so good on the lad
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Mar 11, 2013 01:34:23 pm
      Cash in, I don't see him fitting into Rodgers long term plans so best to get the cash in and get some one in who will.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,521 posts | 2874 
      Reply #3: Mar 11, 2013 01:34:56 pm
      Keep him but make sure he becomes a squad player next season instead of being a regular like he is now.

He can cover three positions so unless we get a very good bid it would be stupid of us to sell him and weaken our squad further.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #4: Mar 11, 2013 01:40:30 pm
      Can I twist  :P
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #5: Mar 11, 2013 01:44:58 pm

Whatever does it for you Cas.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #6: Mar 11, 2013 01:50:17 pm
      Keep him but make sure he becomes a squad player next season instead of being a regular like he is now.

He can cover three positions so unless we get a very good bid it would be stupid of us to sell him and weaken our squad further.

Think we could get between 7-10mil for him on current form. He would be a good squad player for next season but he's on around 70k a week which is far too much for a squad player....
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,365 posts | 4973 
      Reply #7: Mar 11, 2013 01:59:07 pm
      I'd keep him as he has proven of late to be a valuable player to have in the squad.

We should still buy another forward for the first team but Stewart is an experienced player to have in the squad.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8: Mar 11, 2013 02:07:18 pm
      Stick for another season for me. 

We need as much experience in the squad as possible and we need investment in the defense before we spend more on attacking options.

kornwall02
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 97 posts |
      Reply #9: Mar 11, 2013 02:07:43 pm
      i wouldnt get rid of him now hes doing what we wanted him to do originally. we finally seem to be getting our moneys worth and who knows.......he might keep getting better and better with suarez, sturridge and coutinho around him now. at worst hes an a great option to have......at best he will supply sturridge and suarez with goals on a plate and chip in with a few himself.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #10: Mar 11, 2013 02:15:26 pm
      He has improved - although he was coming from a very low baseline.

Still a definite sell for me.  Doesn't get anywhere near enough goals for an attacking position, hasn't got enough pace and frequently drifts out of games.

His improving performance should help us at least get in the £5-£10M range when we sell him.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Mar 11, 2013 02:20:49 pm
      It all depends on who else we can get to replace him, surely.

I think he was very good yesterday but then again, I honestly don't see him performing at that level (or better) on a consistent basis. So if we can improve in that position, I certainly wouldn't care if he leaves - I don't think he's the kind of player who'll grow with the team in the near future.

However, if we can't get anyone else, then he surely has a place as a squad player.

If I'm being honest, I hope we'll be able to replace him with better players... so in my mind, letting him go at the end of the season would make sense.
      Lofti Rider
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts |
      Reply #12: Mar 11, 2013 02:21:39 pm
      if he perform anything like yestdy in 4-5 games till the end of season it would be criminal to sell him.
      Plus he has finally setteled here he can make very good squad player if not 11 and if we sell him dont see a improved replacement worth 6-7 mil.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #13: Mar 11, 2013 02:29:41 pm
      I think we should keep him for a few reasons. 

1.  He wouldn't fetch more than 5M and it would be difficult to replace him for that amount.
      2.  He may not have the same level of offensive production as Coutinho, but he is much better defensively.  He made a few well timed tackles and blocks yesterday, and gives us good balance on the right flank.
      3.  He is building a good understanding with Johno on the right side and has even been linking well with Suarez when he cuts in field. 
      4.  He is able to play down either flank. 

Now, if someone was to offer us say 10-12M for the lad, then I would sell.  However, I feel that he is currently worth more to our team than he is on the open market.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #14: Mar 11, 2013 02:36:19 pm
      Tricky one if the team are to improve over the next few season I think Downing's position in the team has to be one where we look to bring in a better player, if that is to happen I wouldn't mind retaining him as more of a squad player. The big downfall for me is having a player in that squad role on the wages he's on.

I think so long as we can bring in a top quality player who warrants a first team regular spot, we off load him if we can't I think we keep him until we get someone.

His form of late has been much improved and I've got to give him a lot of credit because it can't have been easy with how his first 18 months at the club went. It would have been easy for him to put his head down and sulk like big money signings have done in the past.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #15: Mar 11, 2013 02:38:46 pm
      Keep him. He has had a good few months and could be a good squad player.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #16: Mar 11, 2013 02:45:54 pm
      I think we should keep him for a few reasons. 

1.  He wouldn't fetch more than 5M and it would be difficult to replace him for that amount.
      2.  He may not have the same level of offensive production as Coutinho, but he is much better defensively.  He made a few well timed tackles and blocks yesterday, and gives us good balance on the right flank.
      3.  He is building a good understanding with Johno on the right side and has even been linking well with Suarez when he cuts in field. 
      4.  He is able to play down either flank. 

Now, if someone was to offer us say 10-12M for the lad, then I would sell.  However, I feel that he is currently worth more to our team than he is on the open market.

I think 2 is the most important point to coinsider. I think others have noticed too that recently when we've lost the ball and had players out of position, its been Downing who comes across from the right into a defensive position in central midfield, freeing up another to go and apply pressure without being isolated. Now I'm not saying we should keep him on his defensive merits alone, but Downing has always been solid, if unimaginative. He's a useful squad player and its just a shame we paid such an extortionate fee for him.

BR seems to be using Downing to balance the team and to provide an outlet if needed on the right. Our main source of attack is now through the middle with Suarez + Sturridge or on the left with Coutinho and Enrique. Downing is an out ball and able to stretch the oppo defence with some direct running, but he isn't on the same offensive level as Coutinho. Whether we sell and replace him with someone of more attacking talent but who provides less defensive cover is an interesting debate. I argue we should keep him and rotate with Sterling depending on the tactical requirements of the game.
      Redangel

• 8,394 posts | 1025 
      Reply #17: Mar 11, 2013 02:46:56 pm
      Stick, no doubt about it for me.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #18: Mar 11, 2013 02:53:47 pm
      He has really turned the corner IMO and I think we should keep him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #19: Mar 11, 2013 03:09:40 pm
      Stick for sure! What is the point in selling him for roughly £5m? He provides decent attacking options, tracks his men back and helps defend, it means we then not only need a first team winger but also a squad winger too. Just gives ourselves more work to do in the transfer window when I can guarantee we won't get a warchest like some expect us to have if they expect us to ship numbers of people out.
      redno7
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | 21 
      Reply #20: Mar 11, 2013 03:27:19 pm
      Stick...    I'm liking him a lot recently. He's really pulled his finger out since Rodgers told him he could fek orf. He's woke up and realised he plays for the best team in the world and he's got his sh*t together.

good on him
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21: Mar 11, 2013 03:45:50 pm

Well you are female ;D
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #22: Mar 11, 2013 03:50:35 pm
      Keep.

The guy isn't bad at all, can use both feet and I think he'll push on even better next season.
      If he can try break the 10 goal barrier this season then that would be massive progress.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #23: Mar 11, 2013 04:30:04 pm
      The best thing would be to find competition for his place. He either continues to improve or gets dropped in favour of the competition.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #24: Mar 11, 2013 04:36:07 pm

Still a definite sell for me.  Doesn't get anywhere near enough goals for an attacking position, hasn't got enough pace and frequently drifts out of games.

His improving performance should help us at least get in the £5-£10M range when we sell him.

Don't see the point in selling a player on the up to be honest.

We aren't a selling club and surely not that desperate for a measly 5-10 million here and there. We are much better keeping him and showing others in the group that if you show commitment and desire you can work your way into the team. Not a very good example to set if we just get rid of him in the summer in my opinion.

He definitely looks a better player on the right hand side as well, it's good to have a consistent threat on that side of the pitch and he doesn't seem to be injury prone either.

Keep him.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #25: Mar 11, 2013 04:40:47 pm
       The things to ask here are firstly will we be able to get somebody who is better and will show it quickly, and how much will it cost us financially.

Now the financial question first. My guess is we'll get somewhere near Downings true and actual value if we sell him (around 7 million IMHO). Not only that, but he won't be going to a top team. It'll be someone like Everton or Sunderland, and they won't be able to sustain his reported 80K a week wages, so we'll probably have to give him a couple of million in "go away" money (a bit like the Joe Cole situation). At best, that would leave us around 5 mill to spend on a replacement plus whatever we can put towards it, and lets assume he'll be on similar wages. Any suggestions? Scott Sinclair? Nathan Dyer? One of that type I guess you might pick up, but are they any better than Downing himself? I'm not so sure. Sessignon is a better player IMHO but we wouldn't be getting him for less than 10, Walcott has obviously flown the coup (and full marks to our manager for knowing he was a good player before most did) and I can't really think of that many others in England. Someone from abroad then? Better value, but no certainty we wouldn't be back into a "watch him go this time next year" situation.

Me, I'd keep Downing. He is what he is, a good pro who now he has found his feet will put in a good shift every week. He's improving, you know what you're getting and he won't let anyone down anymore I don't think. Yes we way overpaid for him, but we've got him now and I think  we ought to have far more pressing concerns than his spot, particularly with Raheem Sterling coming up on the rails. 
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #26: Mar 11, 2013 06:06:40 pm

" ................. like we did last Summer "

Blush.

;D

Oh?

Downing?

Move on.
      Why is he only starting to perform when he gets an arse kick from Brendan  in December?

Die for the cause Downing. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #27: Mar 11, 2013 06:27:41 pm
      Considering we'd probably only get around £8m for him I'd suggest an all right squad option to keep even on varied current form. If he could repeat performances like Sunday's consistently then it's obviously keep.

My honest belief is that Sunday was an exception and not the rule, so therefore if better became available then I'd not be crying into my LFC shirt if he left. Sunday's performance at least comes at a time where he has the opportunity to show us either way and I'm sure in 9 games time this decision will have made itself.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #28: Mar 11, 2013 07:00:48 pm
      I don't think we should cash him in at all. One of the problems with Liverpool in previous years was that they didn't have enough depth. I'm not saying he should start every game, but a very good squad player he is and it's vital we have depth AND quality.

I'm delighted with his progress this year. One of the main things I wanted to see this year was a big improvement from him and Henderson, and both have been brilliant recently. If it wasn't for Henderson, we would have to persist with Allen, whose dip in form and confidence would do us no good. Henderson has come in and done the role brilliantly.
      jomurph
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #29: Mar 11, 2013 07:17:24 pm
      Well we cant do anything until the Summer when we will know where we have finished and what the budgets may be. But on balance of this season and given his reported wages of 80 to 90 K a week I would say that we can get better quality than him. My only concern is who is going to want him for whatever price tag will be attached to him?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #30: Mar 11, 2013 07:23:05 pm
      It's important Stewart doesn't let up in his recent form. He's clearly a confidence player and it's brilliant seeing him more confident than ever. I think he's a really good player on his day and has become a handy asset of late. What's encouraging is that the team is progressing and he's one of the players progressing with the team. You look at the likes of Skrtel and Shelvey who are not progressing and those are the players with the big question marks hanging over them. For me Skrtel is my only definite who should be sold in the summer. Shelvey will have to rebuild on loan. Coates - I wouldn't mind if he stayed but I think it's pretty clear he has been stroked off Rodger's squad for the future.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #31: Mar 11, 2013 07:45:21 pm
      8 - 10 weeks ago, I couldn't wait to get rid.  My humble opinion now is..... if the cap fits, etc etc.
       But he will have to maintain that sort of form long term. Two or three games is not enough to justify his salary.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #32: Mar 11, 2013 08:16:33 pm
      Keep, he's earned it, hopefully though he won't be first choice next season unless he shows us he can do that too.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #33: Mar 11, 2013 08:50:30 pm
      Move. He's on around 80k a week, that's ridiculous for a squad player. Sell him and with the money made go back and grab Ince. He'll be on lower wages and we should be able to afford his fee with what we get from Downing.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #34: Mar 11, 2013 08:53:21 pm
      Move. Regardless of his recent pick up in form he still looks like our weak link in attack and has no where near justified his transfer fee or wages! Move him on for what we can get IMO.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5047 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #35: Mar 11, 2013 09:03:09 pm
      Credit where credit's due the lad has turned the corner and is playing well, however he needs to continue doing what he is doing and if possible improve, his recent form tbf has earned him a stay of execution but I still think we should get in someone younger or play Suso more to offer competition, I can't see the point in selling him unless we are offered decent dollar, his experience is invaluable and he is versatile, keep hold for now, at least till January.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #36: Mar 11, 2013 09:36:47 pm
      It will all depend on whether he can continue his improvement with some more goals , we have 9 games left and if he has kept up his performances for all those games then i'd say stick . Not much point in selling him for the sake of a few million just because of past performances .
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,133 posts | 127 
      Reply #37: Mar 11, 2013 09:55:27 pm
      do we need to sell a player to replace him?. keep him till Jan at least,  if not, buy Arda Turan, and see how it works out.
      If BR wants to play that type of football, there's no one better IMHO, he's another Coutinho only with more experience, box to box player with a brain.
      Made up for Stuart Downing that he has finally realised what it takes to play for Lpool, but we can get better. Even when results are going our way, he still does'nt look like he will take the game by the scruff of the neck and change it, He is a great squad player but on £80 grand a week, I dunno.
      insua22
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #38: Mar 11, 2013 10:10:44 pm
      Keep him unless we get a better replacement. Squad Strength is massive, our fortunes before Christmas proved this.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #39: Mar 11, 2013 11:46:46 pm
      I would only move him if we were replacing him with someone guaranteed better.
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #40: Mar 12, 2013 12:21:55 am
      I was appalled when we signed him for 20 million, as i don't rate the lad.

Fair enough, he's improved, but he's not good enough in my book and i'd sell at the first given opportunity.  However, as already stated, there's no point unless we've got a replacement lined up, otherwise we'll be back to playing the likes of Henderson on the wing...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #41: Mar 12, 2013 12:48:01 am
      Downing for England!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #42: Mar 12, 2013 03:55:06 am
      Have to agree, 'downing for england'!
      Think he has been brilliant at times over the last 2 months and would definitely keep him
      He is a player reborn and is a great player to have.
      Super impressed with his turnaround.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #43: Mar 12, 2013 07:30:03 am
      He's finally starting to show the kind of form we were expecting of him when we bought him for that over inflated price.

I'd keep him and hope he continues on his form revival but I have to say if the owners have already made up their minds to sell, at least he's doing the right thing by us and increasing his shop value at the right time of the season.
      « Last Edit: Mar 12, 2013 07:40:40 am by AussieRed »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #44: Mar 12, 2013 07:44:35 am
      He's finally starting to show the kind of form we were expecting of him when we bought him for that over inflated price.

I'd keep him and hope he continues on his form revival but I have to say if the owners have already made up their minds to sell, at least he's doing the right thing by us and increasing his shop value at the right time of the season.
      I totally agree with you Ian,he is looking a lot sharper of late and I prefer to see him on the rirht rather than the left.
      redno7
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | 21 
      Reply #45: Mar 12, 2013 09:01:00 am
      Stick...  like sticky the stick insect stuck on a sticky bun
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #46: Mar 12, 2013 09:52:56 am

I'd have to say that i'd keep Downing, he has pissed me off immensely since we signed him but he does show occasional glimpses of what we know he can do. That's what makes him so frustrating to watch.

The reason i quoted your post JD is that i fail to see where you draw the conclusion from that he has no pace?. He's F***ing lightning quick and has shown this on many occasions, okay then, not many but there is no doubt he is very fast.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #47: Mar 12, 2013 11:07:17 am
      Why move him when he has started to play well? Admittedly, he started so low that he still has few more rungs to cover before we sell him.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #48: Mar 12, 2013 11:55:31 am
      Move. He's on around 80k a week, that's ridiculous for a squad player. Sell him and with the money made go back and grab Ince. He'll be on lower wages and we should be able to afford his fee with what we get from Downing.

Great point but is Ince a better player than Downing? Ince is young and good potential but your going to miss Downing's experience though really think we could do better than Downing as a starter with a player on a lower wage...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,365 posts | 4973 
      Reply #49: Mar 12, 2013 02:53:49 pm
      I'd have to say that i'd keep Downing, he has pissed me off immensely since we signed him but he does show occasional glimpses of what we know he can do. That's what makes him so frustrating to watch.

The reason i quoted your post JD is that i fail to see where you draw the conclusion from that he has no pace?. He's f**king lightning quick and has shown this on many occasions, okay then, not many but there is no doubt he is very fast.

Agree on the point about his pace hardcore.

One of our quickest players.
      Tommy#Benfica
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | 12 
      Reply #50: Mar 12, 2013 03:39:52 pm
      That Twitter interview... ahah
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #51: Mar 12, 2013 04:26:01 pm
      Agree on the point about his pace hardcore.

One of our quickest players.

Which is exactly what was so frustrating about him last year. He's got all that speed but he never dared to use it.

That's one big difference in the last few months. He's finally using that quickness and it makes such a difference in his performance.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #52: Mar 12, 2013 04:27:14 pm
      Misread the title, thought it said Downing Stick & Move and was referring to the spot of bother he got into with his ex.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #53: Mar 12, 2013 11:01:48 pm

The reason i quoted your post JD is that i fail to see where you draw the conclusion from that he has no pace?. He's F***ing lightning quick and has shown this on many occasions, okay then, not many but there is no doubt he is very fast.

Yeah - Downing, Enrique and Sturridge are our quickest players right now.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #54: Mar 12, 2013 11:09:02 pm
      Yeah - Downing, Enrique and Sturridge are our quickest players right now.

That Sterling lad ain't too slow either ;).

I'd keep Downing if we don't get a good offer for him but I certainly don't think he is our long term solution on the wings. If we wish to progress we will need someone who can offer us more quality, more consistenly.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #55: Mar 13, 2013 02:21:17 am
      He will be 29 this summer, however that said, if he continues to show this form until the 19th of May, I say stick on to him for another season until Tom Ince settles in (well, I'm sure we are getting him  :laugh:). There are always the likes of Martin Jol or Harry Redknapp or Martin O'Neill who have the knack for 30-yr olds, we can always move him but we are definitely gonna take a 75% loss
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #56: Mar 14, 2013 01:35:57 pm
      Keep him he's playing better than he has since we signed him. He has to do the
       business for us with the World Cup qualifiers coming up now.
      He cost far too much but that's not his fault is it.
      Brendan has dealt with him very well imo he needs to feal the love to play.
      Keep it up Downing we always knew there was a player in there somewhere!!
      nehemiah5623
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #57: Mar 27, 2013 12:42:36 pm
      give him a chance...he will shine...
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #58: Mar 28, 2013 03:54:17 pm
      Another good point is that he will have to play well next season to get into the England squad for the World Cup (If they get there) so therefore he could have a great season as realistically this is his last chance to play at a World Cup especially as its in Brazil.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #59: Mar 28, 2013 04:04:37 pm
      Another good point is that he will have to play well next season to get into the England squad for the World Cup (If they get there) so therefore he could have a great season as realistically this is his last chance to play at a World Cup especially as its in Brazil.

He won't get a spot no matter how good he plays. He has played more than and better than Young this season yet that idiot gets a call up all the time.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #60: Mar 28, 2013 04:38:14 pm
      Anyplayer that has improved this season deserves to continue with there contract , and Downing has dug his heels in and done the job .
              Each top four team in my opinion has a good strong bench to call on and i  think this aids there success , somthing we havnt had for many a year,  the only way we are going to gain momentum and win things is by strengh in depth and that means keeping the "squad " players regardless of wages!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #61: Mar 28, 2013 05:58:52 pm
      If we were going to sell it should have been last summer maybe even January just gone. Why would we sell him now when hes in a good spell? Leave him there as a squad player unless we get 2 quality players in this summer who would limit his game time to nothing
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #62: Mar 28, 2013 06:12:50 pm
      If we were going to sell it should have been last summer maybe even January just gone. Why would we sell him now when hes in a good spell?

Actually, isn't that the exact right time to sell him though? He's in a good patch of form, so you can get the most for him.

Generally speaking, I'm still undecided on Downing. I know we'll never recoup that 20m, but if he keeps a good level of consistency, we might as well keep him unless we can replace him with quality.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #63: Mar 28, 2013 06:32:30 pm
      Actually, isn't that the exact right time to sell him though? He's in a good patch of form, so you can get the most for him.

Generally speaking, I'm still undecided on Downing. I know we'll never recoup that 20m, but if he keeps a good level of consistency, we might as well keep him unless we can replace him with quality.

Not a bad call really, especially if he can keep his form going, and after we get some quality in, squad player or get rid.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #64: Mar 28, 2013 07:31:47 pm
       I think he'll not be a starter next season, and his squad role will be depended a lot on the arrival or not of Ince.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #65: Mar 28, 2013 07:36:57 pm
      He's 29 at the start of next season and will have at least 2 years, possibly 3 to run on his contract as I'm not too sure how long his 'long-term' contract is.

Realistically if we're going to recoup any of the money we paid for him it has to be this Summer or there simply wont be any value in buying a 30 year old winger whose main asset is speed on reported £80k a week. We could quite easily be left with him warming our bench for 2 or 3 years or worse having to buy out his contract to free up wages.

Now I understand and agree in principle with BBB's point regarding players over finance for any football fan but £80k a week for a bench-warmer makes no sense to me when I believe we can get a better player offering them the same contract. So in my opinion we either see him as a viable first team option and therefore money well spent or we look to replace him. While a squad option seems a good idea initially, when I thought about it in practice it just seems a waste of resources and we could be letting the opportunity to part exchange him for a better option all around slip by.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #66: Mar 28, 2013 08:20:51 pm
      It wasn't long ago Downing was looking like a complete flop, and getting rid asap was the only option. We always knew he had the talent, but few still had faith that there was any hope of him working his back into the starting 11.
      I think a lot of credut should go to Brendan for the way he give him a kick up the ass. There's nothing like the fear of failure to motivate a player like Downing, if he failed at Liverpool, he would be forever deemed a small club player. If he does leave Liverpool, it will undoubtedly be for a smaller club, I think for this reason he will keep working his socks off to remain a Red.
      I would keep him here, we have a lot of players in the squad that aren't of the standard of a team challenging for a top 4 place, there is no point selling one of our best.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #67: Mar 29, 2013 10:42:33 am
      It all depends on who else we can get to replace him, surely.
      Exactly. No point in selling just for the sake of it or just to' make room' for an easier paid, non-starting, 'kid'.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #68: Mar 29, 2013 12:49:32 pm
       We keep Downing until we have somebody better
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #69: Mar 29, 2013 03:29:01 pm
      He won't get a spot no matter how good he plays. He has played more than and better than Young this season yet that idiot gets a call up all the time.

True but hopefully he has a good mind set and motivated enough to get a stop dont care if he doesnt get in the squad as long as he plays welll for club!

Quick Reply