Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W7 D2 L0

The Little Things in Football That Annoy You.

Read 117539 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Re: The Little Things in Football That Annoy You.
      Reply #184: Oct 08, 2013 11:18:54 pm
      Agree 100% on the timewasting/time keeping.

Surely the forth official could even do this while he is sitting doing pretty much nothing on the sideline.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #185: Oct 09, 2013 04:32:12 pm
      The Arsenals "Invicibles" season.

Biggest load of sh*t ever.

Iā€™m not going to take it away from them, 90 points in a season is a great achievement.  But Iā€™m seriously finding it hard to understand how does that make that team better than:

1.   Chelsea in 04/05 (who lost once but finished on 95)
      2.   Chelsea 05/06 (losing 5 times and finishing on 91 points)
      3.   As much as I hate to mention them. United in 08/09 (losing 4 times)

The ā€œInvisiblesā€ team pisses me off for those 3 reasons.

They drew 12 times, and in doing so dropped 24 points.   
      I would rather Liverpool play 12 games, winning 8 and losing 4, that watch us play 12 and draw 12 just for a label of INVINSIBLE.

But the thing that annoys me most about that team....  THEY WERENā€™T INVISIBLE!!!

During that season they lost SIX times!!! (7 if you include the Charity Shield)

How has this bull sh*t been immortalised?

P.S - Toure that season was a BAWS
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #186: Oct 09, 2013 06:02:24 pm
      One thing which is starting to annoy me is managers doing the shadow boxing feint as they're describing different moments in the match or different players. I believe it was 'Arry who started it, but Brendan regularly does it as does Wenger.

It's distracting when you're watching an interview to see the fella ducking and diving like he's selling a body-swerve to a dodgy fullback.i
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #187: Oct 09, 2013 06:13:18 pm

Iā€™m not going to take it away from them, 90 points in a season is a great achievement.  But Iā€™m seriously finding it hard to understand how does that make that team better than:

I would rather Liverpool play 12 games, winning 8 and losing 4, that watch us play 12 and draw 12 just for a label of INVINSIBLE.

But the thing that annoys me most about that team....  THEY WERENā€™T INVISIBLE!!!

Really don't see why this is cause to be annoyed about. It's just a label. Wenger and Arsenal got my full respect that season. Some of the play they played was just fantastic and the play between the likes of Bergkamp, Henry, Pires and co was just sublime and still, on a technical level, the best football I've ever seen played in the Premier League. Who cares if the Chelsea side beyond that season scored more points than them? Such a strong side but such forgettable football.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #188: Oct 10, 2013 01:04:41 am
      Footballers not being ready when coming on as subs, ie: not wearing correct top or having trouble with their bibs.

:)

That reminds me of Bibotelli.  :lmao:

Mario Balotelli "Bibotelli" Can't Put His Bib On
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #189: Oct 10, 2013 09:19:14 am
      Still has to be Clive Tyldesley for me. This prat could be commentating on Ordabasy Shymkent v Shakhter Karagandy in the Kazakhstan league and STILL find a way to mention 1999 CL final.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #190: Oct 12, 2013 12:38:35 am

I agree that the "Labels" the press and pundits put on teams and players is annoying.....but that specific Arsenal squad were unreal, its fair to say that they were "Invincibles". They deserve to be immortalized because they played near perfect football and Perfection should be acknowledged.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #191: Oct 12, 2013 02:19:39 am
      I agree that the "Labels" the press and pundits put on teams and players is annoying.....but that specific Arsenal squad were unreal, its fair to say that they were "Invincibles". They deserve to be immortalized because they played near perfect football and Perfection should be acknowledged.

Agreed, best Premier League team ever IMO. So much chemistry and flair, brilliant football. They beat the sh*t out of some teams, Henry made defences look like Sunday league.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #192: Oct 20, 2013 03:08:53 pm
      Half half scarves,

Commentators,

The press' inability to say anything bad about the Mancs,

Jordan Henderson running the length of the pitch with an opposing player, and not sticking a foot in,

Gary Neville!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #193: Oct 20, 2013 04:49:17 pm
      Fcking Gareth Bale diving all the time far more than our luis ,but never gets a mention in the press , that penno he got last night absolute fcking shocker ,the fcking diving welsh c**t that he is.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #194: Oct 20, 2013 04:50:24 pm
      Fcking Gareth Bale diving all the time far more than our luis ,but never gets a mention in the press , that penno he got last night absolute fcking shocker ,the fcking diving welsh c**t that he is.

Fits in well at Madrid then with Ronaldo.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #195: Oct 21, 2013 02:20:54 am
      Having to win a WC Title to be considered an all time great.  I disagree w/ this. I dont think a tournament that is held every 4 years, should be the final stat on a great players career. Their are just too many factors in the WC.  With that being used as a factor, does that mean a player like Xabi Alonso should be considered a greater player than Messi?  If Messi has a crazy WC and scores like nuts but loses and doesn't win the WC is he still considered the best ever? Personally I think a European Championship is just as Important to the individual players career.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,210 posts | 1645 
      Reply #196: Oct 21, 2013 03:36:31 pm
      Having to win a WC Title to be considered an all time great.  I disagree w/ this. I dont think a tournament that is held every 4 years, should be the final stat on a great players career. Their are just too many factors in the WC.  With that being used as a factor, does that mean a player like Xabi Alonso should be considered a greater player than Messi?  If Messi has a crazy WC and scores like nuts but loses and doesn't win the WC is he still considered the best ever? Personally I think a European Championship is just as Important to the individual players career.
      I disagree, in the world cups, you see the true greats come forward and lead their team to the trophy. Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldo...they all led their teams to titles. Obviously if you're a great player in a poor team then it's a different story, but Messi has a national squad that is capable and maybe just needs him to drag them over the line.

I don't think it's a definitive marker of a players quality by any means, but it does have huge impact in how they are remembered simply because the whole world is watching.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #197: Oct 21, 2013 05:16:57 pm
      I disagree, in the world cups, you see the true greats come forward and lead their team to the trophy. Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldo...they all led their teams to titles. Obviously if you're a great player in a poor team then it's a different story, but Messi has a national squad that is capable and maybe just needs him to drag them over the line.

I don't think it's a definitive marker of a players quality by any means, but it does have huge impact in how they are remembered simply because the whole world is watching.

I agree with the original post, I don't think you need to win the World Cup to be remembered as one of the best. There are lots of players regarded as legends of the game who haven't won the World Cup. Johan Cruyff, Luis Figo, Marco Van Basten, Eusebio and Steven Gerrard to name a few.

As for Messi, I think Argentina will win one in the coming years and I think Messi has 2 World Cups left to do so. Even if he doesn't, he's the best player ever at age 26 IMO.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #198: Oct 22, 2013 02:07:25 am

If the WC was played every year, then it would be more of a factor. But, using to determine one players overall career accomplishments and use as a gauge for the greatest ever title, is a bit lopsided. Maradonna never won a CL title, never won La Liga w/ Barca and he is considered above Messi, which is bullshit. How can Maradonna who NEVER won a title w/ Barca be better than Messi who has 6 League Titles w/ Barca and 3 European Championships.
      Bier
      Reply #199: Oct 22, 2013 04:01:04 am
      If the WC was played every year, then it would be more of a factor. But, using to determine one players overall career accomplishments and use as a gauge for the greatest ever title, is a bit lopsided. Maradonna never won a CL title, never won La Liga w/ Barca and he is considered above Messi, which is bullshit. How can Maradonna who NEVER won a title w/ Barca be better than Messi who has 6 League Titles w/ Barca and 3 European Championships.

That lacks any form of nuance. Messi played in a Champions League winning side from the start. He had little to do with his first Champions League win, which they won without him. And has now played for 8-9 years for them. Maradonna however only played 2 years for a less strong Barcelona team, and during that time struggled with injuries. It's a bit silly comparing their achievements at Barcelona.

Not saying that one is better than the other by the way, think it's impossible to compare, such difference times.

I think the impact the World Cup has has also changed alot over the years. Imagine a time when you could only see an exotic player like PelƩ play at the World Cup, to now when you can basically see every world class player play for their club every week.
      « Last Edit: Oct 22, 2013 04:48:00 am by Bier »
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #200: Oct 22, 2013 11:24:20 pm
      That lacks any form of nuance. Messi played in a Champions League winning side from the start. He had little to do with his first Champions League win, which they won without him. And has now played for 8-9 years for them. Maradonna however only played 2 years for a less strong Barcelona team, and during that time struggled with injuries. It's a bit silly comparing their achievements at Barcelona.

Not saying that one is better than the other by the way, think it's impossible to compare, such difference times.

I think the impact the World Cup has has also changed alot over the years. Imagine a time when you could only see an exotic player like PelƩ play at the World Cup, to now when you can basically see every world class player play for their club every week.
      The point I am making is that a title which can only be won once every 4 years, is used as the ultimate defining factor for a players career. Many believe Maradonna is the best ever and thats due to his World Cups. But looking at his overall career, he has individual records but only 3 Domestic League titles, no European Championships. He is considered a legend at Boca Juniors and he only won 1 League title w/ them. He won 2 Serie A Titles but left in disgrace because of his scandals w/ cocaine.  I think the WC can be used to complement a career and cap off a career but used as a defining factor for greatness is wrong.
      Bier
      Reply #201: Oct 22, 2013 11:53:45 pm
      The point I am making is that a title which can only be won once every 4 years, is used as the ultimate defining factor for a players career. Many believe Maradonna is the best ever and thats due to his World Cups. But looking at his overall career, he has individual records but only 3 Domestic League titles, no European Championships. He is considered a legend at Boca Juniors and he only won 1 League title w/ them. He won 2 Serie A Titles but left in disgrace because of his scandals w/ cocaine.  I think the WC can be used to complement a career and cap off a career but used as a defining factor for greatness is wrong.

I don't think he's judged on winning the World Cup alone, but also on the raw talent he had and always clearly showed. His cocaine addiction already started at Barcelona before he won the World Cup, but even with that lifestyle his talent always showed. But I still think players like Maradona and Messi can't be compared, such different times and circumstances. Obviously Messi has that amazing talent too, but he's a product from modern football too, moving to Spain and joining Barcelona's academy at a young age. How can you compare that to a player like Maradona 30 years ago. Top football is far more professional nowadays than it was in the past decades. In those days players could rely more on just their talent than they can now, and it's impossible to say how they would fit into modern football.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #202: Oct 23, 2013 12:13:52 am
      I don't believe Maradona is the best ever because of the world cup. He won the Serie A twice with Naples, in 87 and 89. Milan 
      during this period had one of the best club sides ever. Juventus had one of the best club sides ever and Serie A was a very strong league. Inter were very strong, Zico even played for Udinese. They had the three foreigner law, so 8 italians in each team. They had tackling from behind, passing back to the keeper and the offside law favoured defenders. Serie was incredibly defensive; defenders could basically brutalise players. Maradona to those who watched him, was unbelievably skilful, more so than anyone we had seen before.

I think Messi is very good too. However Xavi has won more than Messi and Maradona; is he better than them. Barca play from memory. Messi has grown up in a superstar team who are an unbelievable unit. They have played together for most of their lives. Messi applies the finishing touches to a team who are brilliant anyway. Take Maradona out of Argentina 86 and Napoli 87,89 and they would not have gone close to winning anything.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,491 posts | 3442 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #203: Nov 06, 2013 10:53:41 am
      when the ball hits the post, most commentators still say it hit the woodwork, it hasn't been made of wood for years you F***ing morons, it's mainly aluminium !
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #204: Nov 06, 2013 03:59:51 pm
      when the ball hits the post, most commentators still say it hit the woodwork, it hasn't been made of wood for years you F***ing morons, it's mainly aluminium !

Well I hope they don't start saying it's hit the aluminium, imagine how irritating American streams would be when they mispronounce it "aluminum".
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,967 posts | 5023 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #205: Nov 08, 2013 08:26:37 am
      Anything, I mean Anything to do with f***in Mancs, I f***in hate the KUNTS they annoy me to the point I can get proper angry, not just seeing the KUNTS on TV, it's the little titbits you see either in a advert or some promotional thing like someone being interviewed outside , for some reason the camera will always pick some Kunt wearing Manc attire,

It f***in pisses me off no end, oh and i forgot that fat pr**k that is Eamon Holmes , smarmy fat w**ker,

And he's a f***in Manc , GGRRRRRRRRRR,

That's it I've finally done it to myself, HHEEEEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!!!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #206: Nov 08, 2013 03:27:08 pm
      Just wondered have you ever seen anything of Maradonna playing , he dragged a poor argentine team kicking and screaming through a world cup and beyond ,pure fckin poetry with a football ,in an era when defenders kicked the sh*t out of ya.

Quick Reply