Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

The summer clearout thread - Who should be shown the door?

Read 10342 times
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt
      • Started Topic

• 510 posts | 10 
      The summer clearout thread - Who should be shown the door?
      Apr 01, 2013 02:55:12 pm
      With just 7 games to go, it's getting close to transfer time again and it has got me thinking, who should we sell?

For me, the following need to go:

Skrtel
      Has had a poor season and he hasnā€™t helped his cause by telling the ā€˜papers heā€™s ā€œunhappyā€ to be on the bench. Rumour has it Zenit want to buy him in the summer and heā€™d command a big fee. Iā€™d sell for anything over 10 million and replace with a new commanding centre back.

Jay Spearing
      Hasnā€™t made the grade and now, at 24, is too old to develop any further. For me heā€™s found his level in the Championship and should be moved on for whatever we can get for him.

Downing
      OK, heā€™s improved, but heā€™s not good enough for LFC. Iā€™d capitalise on his slightly above average performances and sell for anything over 8 million. Bring in another winger who has balls to attack the ball and rise to the challenge, because Stewie isnā€™t the answer.

Daniel Pacheco
      Quite possibly the most over rated player EVER to come through the LFC ranks, Pacheco has been a perennial under performer. Heā€™s had 3 loan spells and has, every time, failed to impress. Sell or give away, ā€˜cos heā€™s currently plying his trade in the Spanish 2nd division and heā€™s still crap. 

Carroll
      Round pegs, square holes: Carroll isnā€™t ever going to fit into BR plans. His poor first touch and lack of pace leaves him isolated in our system and Patrice Evra will strike up a partnership with Suarez before this guy ever will. Has played ok over the last few weeks, but doubt West Ham will pay the 17 million sell on clause in his loan contract. Will probably go back to the barcodes, but have to hold out for 15+ million.

What do you think?
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Re: The summer clearout thread - Who should be shown the door?
      Reply #1: Apr 01, 2013 03:01:14 pm
      With just 7 games to go, it's getting close to transfer time again and it has got me thinking, who should we sell?

Skrtel
      Has had a poor season and he hasnā€™t helped his cause by telling the ā€˜papers heā€™s ā€œunhappyā€ to be on the bench. Rumour has it Zenit want to buy him in the summer and heā€™d command a big fee. Iā€™d sell for anything over 10 million and replace with a new commanding centre back.

Jay Spearing
      Hasnā€™t made the grade and now, at 24, is too old to develop any further. For me heā€™s found his level in the Championship and should be moved on for whatever we can get for him.

Downing
      OK, heā€™s improved, but heā€™s not good enough for LFC. Iā€™d capitalise on his slightly above average performances and sell for anything over 8 million. Bring in another winger who has balls to attack the ball and rise to the challenge, because Stewie isnā€™t the answer.

Daniel Pacheco
      Quite possibly the most over rated player EVER to come through the LFC ranks, Pacheco has been a perennial under performer. Heā€™s had 3 loan spells and has, every time, failed to impress. Sell or give away, ā€˜cos heā€™s currently plying his trade in the Spanish 2nd division and heā€™s still crap. 

Carroll
      Round pegs, square holes: Carroll isnā€™t ever going to fit into BR plans. His poor first touch and lack of pace leaves him isolated in our system and Patrice Evra will strike up a partnership with Suarez before this guy ever will. Has played ok over the last few weeks, but doubt West Ham will pay the 17 million sell on clause in his loan contract. Will probably go back to the barcodes, but have to hold out for 15+ million.

What do you think?

Pretty funny, last season we were against selling him for 20m plus.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #2: Apr 01, 2013 03:05:21 pm
      If we are to reach the ''next level'' there couldn't be much of an arguement about any of those listed.
      Some might be unhappy with the inclusion of Spearing and the Carroll saga has run it's course but some hard decisions lie ahead.
      Skrtel has seen the writing on the wall it seems and should command a respectable fee.
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2013 04:04:36 pm by stuey »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3: Apr 01, 2013 03:07:17 pm
      Sell Skrtel? We already have to replace Carragher why make it twice as hard for ourselves? Downing allows us to attack but also have the reassurance that Johnson will get help in defensive duties should he need it. I agree on selling Carroll but to think we will get anything near Ā£15m for him is being naive. His goalscoring record doesn't replicate that of a Ā£15m player.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: Apr 01, 2013 03:10:00 pm
      If we are to reach the ''next level'' there couldn't be much of an arguement about any of those listed.
      Some might be unhappy with the inclusion of Spearing and the Carroll saga has run it's course but some hard decisions lie ahead.
      Skrtel has seen the writing on the wall it seems and should command a respecable fee.

I agree about us reaching the next level but how much money do people think we have to spend? Nobody thought that Skrtel is just simply having a one off piss poor season? It isn't just him that has been poor in the defence either. If somebody is unhappy about Spearing being on that list then they need to have a serious think because he is nowhere near good enough.
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt
      • Started Topic

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #5: Apr 01, 2013 03:12:24 pm
      Skrtel is a good squad player, but nothing else. He's already made it clear, via the press, he's not happy being on the bench and (for me) that's the icing on the cake, following his piss poor performances this season.

Carra spent months on the bench and never complained once...
      Game-well-and-truly-over
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 57 posts |
      Reply #6: Apr 01, 2013 03:35:48 pm
      I agree that the last four are probably surplus, but am not convinced about selling Skrtel.  He's had a poor season, following on from being player of the season.  Alonso had a relatively poor season with us, it happens sometimes, and I'm not convinced Skrtel has become a bad player all of a sudden.  We'd need two top centre backs to come in to replace Carragher and Skrtel.   Downing has improved recently but would any decent defender be too concerned to be up against him?  I'd love to see somebody like Turan come in and replace him - of those two, who would you rather face as a defender?  Big summer, and I'm just hoping we can do as well as we did in the January window.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #7: Apr 01, 2013 03:38:50 pm
      For me it would be:

Flano - Has fallen behind the likes of Kelly, Wisdom, and McLaughlin in the pecking order.  Could bring in a little fee as he has potential to become a decent RB at the Prem level.
      Skrtel - For reasons stated above.
      Coates - His slow, lumbering style simply does not fit the game plan.  Sell him now while we can still command a decent fee for the youngster.
      Spearo -  For reasons stated above. 
      Assaidi - Rightly or wrongly, does not appear to be part of the manager's plans.  He is young, and with a few years on his contract would probably fetch a decent fee.  Sell and put funds to better use. 
      Pacheco - For reasons stated above. 
      Carrol - For reasons stated above.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Apr 01, 2013 03:39:45 pm
      Skrtel is a good squad player, but nothing else. He's already made it clear, via the press, he's not happy being on the bench and (for me) that's the icing on the cake, following his piss poor performances this season.

Carra spent months on the bench and never complained once...

Bit of a difference when you're 35 and been at the club for a seriously long time.
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt
      • Started Topic

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #9: Apr 01, 2013 03:49:44 pm
      Bit of a difference when you're 35 and been at the club for a seriously long time.

He's been here 5 years, which is considerably in modern football. However, it's no excuse for his crying to the press. Enrique was dropped, but got his head down and fought his way back into the team.

Skrtel has accused the manager of lying and, more recently, told the media how much he admires Zenit.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,509 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #10: Apr 01, 2013 04:52:12 pm

Skrtel

Jay Spearing

Downing

Daniel Pacheco

Carroll

What do you think?

I'd only let Spearing, Carroll and Pacheco go.

Say what you want about Skrtel and Downing but them going leave big holes in a squad that is already wafer thin. I'd be looking to fill voids in the 1st team squad as it is before making more dents in it. Both would need to be replaced so would we get much better in terms of back up than these?

Of course we'll get all of the stories of needing to clear the wage bill though. Again!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,508 posts | 2871 
      Reply #11: Apr 01, 2013 06:31:53 pm
      Jones, Skrtel, Spearing, Allen, Downing, Carroll, Pacheco, Assaidi, Flanagan and Wilson can all move on for me.

No way they will all go during this coming window though as we don't have enough money to buy replacements.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Apr 01, 2013 07:36:17 pm
      Glen Johnson.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #13: Apr 01, 2013 07:38:53 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #14: Apr 01, 2013 09:01:51 pm
      I wouldn't be keen on selling Skrtel unless at least two CB were coming in as I think Coates will be off.

Carroll and Spearing are two likely candidates and I'd add Flanno to that as well as McLaughlin should be ready to back up Glen with Wisdom and Kelly there as well to cover both RB and CB.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #15: Apr 01, 2013 09:05:27 pm
      I think we'll see a few out the door this summer. I must admit it will be sad to see Skrtel go if he does given how well he played last season but he simply doesn't look quite cut out to play in this system and it's even more upsetting to think he could have brought in a very tidy amount during the summer. Downing is an obvious choice but I think he will be back although i'd like to think there will be competition for his position. I think our transfer business might well depend on whether we manage to qualify for Europe. If we don't, i'm struggling to see competitive opportunities for a lot of the fringe/younger players.

Am gonna throw in a couple that might upset a few people but...

I would not mind if we cashed in on Jonjo Shelvey. He's a good little player but I don't think he's cut out for the type of football Rodgers wants us to play (ie. he's just as likely to risk possession as retain it) and as a young English under-21 the club could probably get a decent price for the lad.

I'm not convinced Lucas will be at the club next season. He has struggled to recapture the spark he had before his injury and if we did go and get someone like Xabi I think the writing would be on the wall for him.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #16: Apr 01, 2013 09:07:54 pm
      A season long loan would do Jonjo the world of good Scott  and for me would be the best option for him as I still yhink there is a player there.

Can't agree on lucas as I feel he will be back to his best after a full pre season.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #17: Apr 01, 2013 10:17:28 pm
        Carroll is an obvious example and ticks all the boxes (regardless of what any of is think) in that he won't get game time under the manager AND we'll get good money for him (my guess is someone will pay 14-16 mill for him). Downing I'd keep simply because he does a job and we'd get the best part of bugger all for him. That's not to say we shouldn't try and sign a better version, but selling Downing makes no sense to me at all. Similarly Lucas. I think replacing him with someone better ought to be our number one priority, but we wouldn't IMHO get much for him if we sold him and we haven't got any cover for the spot so you keep him.

So in short, I'd move on:

Spearing (I think we'll get about a million for him)

Pacheco (free)

Carroll (hopefully 15 million)

Then other fringe players. Everyone else I'd keep.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #18: Apr 01, 2013 10:40:13 pm
      Suarez

Still April 1 is it not!!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #19: Apr 01, 2013 10:57:52 pm
      I think if we need to bulk up a kitty through player sales, our only real desirable assets who we might see as surplus are Skrtel and Carroll. Between them we should make Ā£25M plus the sales of fringe players like Assaidi and Coates and no doubt a few youth players, should see us gather Ā£30M all in all.

Add to that a starting kitty of what? Ā£20M? Should be able to buy a top quality centre back and creative centre midfielder with that.

For me we don't need many additions in the Summer. Just quality.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #20: Apr 01, 2013 11:11:33 pm
      Spearing, Downing, Carroll, Pacheco, Assaidi, Flanagan and Wilson are the lads I'd sell.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #21: Apr 01, 2013 11:13:35 pm
      Spearing, Downing, Carroll, Pacheco, Assaidi, Flanagan and Wilson are the lads I'd sell.

All bar 1 on your list never or rarely play 1st team or are loaned out, why would you sell the other 1 to be exact?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #22: Apr 01, 2013 11:26:27 pm
      I can't argue with the opening poster's five picks to be fair.

I'd probably throw Shelvey into the list as well. 

Quick Reply