Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Agger & Alonso

Read 5303 times
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Agger & Alonso
      Oct 09, 2007 08:45:53 am
      Heard on Radio Merseyside this morning (yes I'm the one who listens to it ) that Daniel and Xabi will be fit for the derby game.

TFFT

I think we all know we were short cover at central defence and Agger's injury has certainly highlighted it.  Alonso also gives us other options in midfield so its certainly given me a lift amongst the doom and gloom brought on by our recent results.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Agger & Alonso
      Reply #1: Oct 09, 2007 08:47:25 am
      Yes come on lads lets get you back in the swing of things and get some decent results!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #2: Oct 09, 2007 10:20:22 am
      Saw Xabi at the Carra new restaurant party on LFC...

So if he is ready to party... he is must be soon ready to play... ;o)

I agree we need them both.

At least people can now see how important an in-form Xabi is for the club.

IF SG continues like it is... I would give Xabi (offensive mf) and Masch (defensive mf) a twirl in midfield... could be fantastic!

(I never ever thought SG could be dropped but on current form it almost looks inevitable soon... particularly as he will probably lift himself for England and play himself into an injury versus Russia just before the Everton game!!)
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #3: Oct 09, 2007 01:46:05 pm

IF SG continues like it is... I would give Xabi (offensive mf) and Masch (defensive mf) a twirl in midfield... could be fantastic!

(I never ever thought SG could be dropped but on current form it almost looks inevitable soon... particularly as he will probably lift himself for England and play himself into an injury versus Russia just before the Everton game!!)

It's a fair point donrafael.  We put in some good performances when Stevie was injured.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #4: Oct 09, 2007 02:25:37 pm
      this is just what we need, getting danny agger back for the everton game will transform our play, just you watch.
      we'll smash those bitters to pieces.

and wouldnt hurt to get alonso back playing again, our midfields been a mess since they both got injured!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #5: Oct 09, 2007 02:28:46 pm
      Gerrard must play versus Everton ... he and Jamie know what the game versus Everton means.

Would leave Masch in the team - I thought he was decent and worked his socks off (compared to Stevie).

Let us all hope that the Stevie we know comes back raring to go from his England exploits... I don't want to even think about him getting injured...
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #6: Oct 09, 2007 02:47:58 pm
      stevie and the rest of the attacking midfielders have been our main problem since the mini slump started.
      no width, ball retention, creativity or territorial domination .

just hoof n run....

back to dark days of houllier .

might not be a bad idea dropping him...
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #7: Oct 09, 2007 02:59:33 pm
      stevie and the rest of the attacking midfielders have been our main problem since the mini slump started.
      no width, ball retention, creativity or territorial domination .

just hoof n run....

back to dark days of houllier .

might not be a bad idea dropping him...

If he got dropped the media would have a field day... they are always looking at ways of getting at Rafa... they have it in for him at the minute and Andy Gray seems to be leading the vulture-media-troops.

Xabi and Masch could be wonderful ...on paper...at least.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #8: Oct 09, 2007 03:09:48 pm
      if thats whats it takes to get gerrard going again...

and agreed i think mash and xabi give us a very stable platform, could also work very well with gerrard on the right with this setup.

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #9: Oct 09, 2007 03:27:24 pm
      if thats whats it takes to get gerrard going again...

and agreed I think mash and xabi give us a very stable platform, could also work very well with gerrard on the right with this setup.

Gerrard on the right... that is all Sky boys need to kick Rafa in the nuts again... but I agree it could be perfect.

Rafa - it's time to stand up and be counted... same cojones you showed to Pako... show to Señor Gerrard and the media now...
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #10: Oct 09, 2007 05:59:53 pm
      Donrafael, why even mention the media response to the possibility of changing if and where Gerrard plays? Why should we care, let alone Rafa?

If I even suspected Rafa of making team decisions to appease the media, he would go down a great deal in my estimation, and I would hope in everyone else's.

And how did Pako get back into this conversation? Sorry, I forgot that this is your favourite drum, isn't it; and how is it again you know all this about what happened between them?
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #11: Oct 09, 2007 08:42:35 pm
      Donrafael, why even mention the media response to the possibility of changing if and where Gerrard plays? Why should we care, let alone Rafa?

If I even suspected Rafa of making team decisions to appease the media, he would go down a great deal in my estimation, and I would hope in everyone else's.

And how did Pako get back into this conversation? Sorry, I forgot that this is your favourite drum, isn't it; and how is it again you know all this about what happened between them?

My drum? You obviously don't speak to many Liverpool supporters then?

Oh and yesterday's phone in on LFC TV was all about it...

Oh...and Rafa answered specific press conference questions on it on Friday...

So my drum must be pretty popular fella...

I'm not going to argue with you mate... which seems to me want you want most from your post. Bye.

http://www.sportingo.com/football/just_how_much_liverpool_rafa/1001,5273
      « Last Edit: Oct 09, 2007 09:06:41 pm by donrafael »
      SPARKYMK
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #12: Oct 09, 2007 11:15:08 pm

Cm'on Jammydodger,
      Why do you think Stevie has being playing in CM this season. Rafa dos not usually give in to media hype or to apease the fans but I am afraid on this one he has. It is clear Sevie G is not the right man in CM. For months and nearly more than 1 season there was a campaign set up to push Rafa to play Setvie G in CM and this got to the rediculous stage. Eventually Rafa gave in to it. You need Masch and Alonso in CM with Stevie G either on the right or in a free role where he can impact the game and I wish Rafa would go with what he believes and lets face it, he DOES believe Stevie G should not be in CM.
      LFC LEGENDS
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | -1 
      • Ynwa
      Reply #13: Oct 09, 2007 11:37:53 pm
      Come on everyone back to the topic :Agger & Alonso :ontopic:

This would be a great boost to the team if Agger can return as our defense seems to have to play to Hyypias strenghts an weakness's when he is in the team.

And if we can get Alonso back it also brings or passing game back that we have been missing recently and i think Alonso and Gerrard have a good understanding together this might help Stevies game back to his best
      MsGerrard
      Reply #14: Oct 09, 2007 11:43:19 pm
      Think Xabi will be back for the 'Derby'.  Hope so anyway
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #15: Oct 10, 2007 12:45:17 am
      Heard on Radio Merseyside this morning (yes I'm the one who listens to it )

I've started getting back in to Merseyside of a morning (it's very twee though) mainly because I can't stand that moron on City.

Anyway, definitely missed Agger at the back - hope he makes it.

As for Alonso? He has hardly set the world on fire this season, and in any case, I couldn't see past a Gerrard-Mascherano partnership for the derby anyway.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #16: Oct 10, 2007 12:59:36 am
      It would be a big boost to have them both back for the Derby match just hope we don't lose to many others due to the internationals.
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #17: Oct 10, 2007 04:30:35 am
      My drum? You obviously don't speak to many Liverpool supporters then?

Oh and yesterday's phone in on LFC TV was all about it...

Oh...and Rafa answered specific press conference questions on it on Friday...

So my drum must be pretty popular fella...

I'm not going to argue with you mate... which seems to me want you want most from your post. Bye.

http://www.sportingo.com/football/just_how_much_liverpool_rafa/1001,5273

A fan generated experience? Where's your facts? You don't answer the question. How do you know what happened between Rafa and Pako? Rafa answered questions put; he didn't make a statement, and he refutes the extent of any supposed impact. You are the dodger. You are the one hijacking threads with your drum. Let's see how you deal with the argument in the right thread...

Cm'on Jammydodger,
      Why do you think Stevie has being playing in CM this season. Rafa dos not usually give in to media hype or to apease the fans but I am afraid on this one he has. It is clear Sevie G is not the right man in CM.

I find this a very strange argument. Is your knowledge of the team only two years old? Stevie G wanted it too. He's always been a CM. He was playing wide right before because we didn't have the quality there at the time and he was the best choice as we had other CM players. CM is Stevie's best position and his preferred one, although the way he has been playing at times, as well as Pennant running hot and cold, I'd be happy to see him cover the right again.

As for Agger and Alonso being fit - that's great. It all helps.
      « Last Edit: Oct 10, 2007 05:11:21 am by jammydodger »
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #18: Oct 10, 2007 07:59:50 am
      If agger was playng, we wouldnt have conceeded those soft goals on the weekend vs spurs.....he has been a massive loss to our squad as he provides alot of stability, calmness and assurance to our back 4, and whole squad....
      Whilst xabi hasnt played his best this season, we've still missesd him alot more than what we think....momo turns the ball over way too much, and we dont need that...
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #19: Oct 10, 2007 01:58:36 pm
      We've certainly missed Alonso's distribution and having both he and Stevie in the centre spraying the ball to all corners does lend to our attacking prowess...but i think we miss Agger more. Just hasn't been the same...
      SPARKYMK
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #20: Oct 10, 2007 08:29:22 pm

I find this a very strange argument. Is your knowledge of the team only two years old? Stevie G wanted it too. He's always been a CM. He was playing wide right before because we didn't have the quality there at the time and he was the best choice as we had other CM players. CM is Stevie's best position and his preferred one, although the way he has been playing at times, as well as Pennant running hot and cold, I'd be happy to see him cover the right again.

As for Agger and Alonso being fit - that's great. It all helps.

Just been a supporter since 1973 and based on your point of view  "Stevie wanted it too" maybe Stevie picks the team  - Never a good idea for a manager to bow to a players wish never mind the media etc. Stevie would probably be the best LFC player in every outfield position, but the question is not what is best for Stevie G but what position is it best for LFC to play him....In my opinion not CM.
      I dont think we are really too far apart in our thoughts but we alrewady have a great CM with Masch and Alonso and this would allow Stevie to really make hay in a more free role
      Anyway Jammydodger, we wont fall out over it, these differences of opinions make the great game what it is....and we both want the best for LFC
      To Agger and Alonso,they are both big misses, Hyppia, what a great servant unfortunately is showing his age a bit and is not as dominant, Agger is learning and improving fast and would solidify the defense with Carra.
      Alonso, although not at 100% compared to a few seasons ago is still a great passer and pulls the strings. With Alonso beside Masch in CM would be solid and would also allow LFC to unleash an attacking game spearheaded by a free Stevie G 
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #21: Oct 10, 2007 10:18:54 pm
      XA, JM in midfield with a wandering SG just behind FT in an attacking position - now that is something that would wet my lips...

PR
      SF JC DA AA
      JP XA JM YB
          SG
              FT

Subs:
      I, DK, SH, MS, SV

No that can WIN the Prem title...

DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #22: Nov 15, 2007 08:54:53 am
      Some good news at last people!

AGGER COULD FACE MAGPIES

Jimmy Rice 15 November 2007

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N157712071115-0825.htm

Daniel Agger is on course to make his long-awaited return from injury when Liverpool resume league action against Newcastle.

The Dane hasn't featured since the trip to Pompey on September 15 because of a broken metatarsal.

With 10 days left until the Reds' next outing, Benitez is confident of having his young defender available for selection.

"Agger is improving a lot, and he has started running now," the boss told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"Yossi Benayoun is with the physios now. We will have to see if he is fit for Newcastle, it's still too early to say. He and Agger are maybes but perhaps it will be easier for Agger than for Benayoun."

Meanwhile, Xabi Alonso, also out with a metatarsal problem, has already been ruled out of the visit to St James's Park.

Benitez added: "Xabi should start running in the next week but he is a no for Newcastle, for sure."
      MsGerrard
      Reply #23: Nov 15, 2007 09:31:32 am
      This is good news,

Dan seems to have been out longer than 2 months, I bet Sami's breathing a sigh of relief, probably thinking, thank god I'm going to get a rest at last :laugh:

Don't need Xabi quite as much as Agger.
      Will be nice to see him back, and I bet he's itching to play.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #24: Nov 15, 2007 01:05:51 pm
      Lets just hope this isn't another false dawn!

I don't know if he will be fit for Newcastle but just to see him on the bench would be good and confirm that the wait is over.

Like MsGerrard says it does seem an age since he was injured and how we have missed him.

Really focuses the need to strengthen the centre back options in January.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #25: Nov 15, 2007 02:01:57 pm
      Benitez added: "Xabi should start running in the next week but he is a no for Newcastle, for sure."

Definitely no Xabi then.  When Rafa says 'For Sure' it's a bit like 'Simon says'.

Agger's been a massive loss.  His runs from defence to attack unsettle the opposition midfield who then have to worry about where Gerrard is off to.

He's also capable of bagging a few goals.

I'd love him to be back for Newcastle which I think will be a tricky clash.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #26: Nov 19, 2007 12:51:18 pm
      I don't expect any of those two (XA or DA) to be playing versus Newcastle.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #27: Nov 19, 2007 12:59:36 pm
      I don't expect any of those two (XA or DA) to be playing versus Newcastle.

If you know what Rafa is going to do your a much better man than me ;D.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #28: Nov 19, 2007 01:02:28 pm
      If you know what Rafa is going to do your a much better man than me ;D.
      My guess, or my expectation is probably as good (or more probably off the mark) as the next man's when judging what Rafa will or won't do...! ;0)
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #29: Dec 17, 2007 11:49:30 pm
      we really are missing agger and alonso, plus its going to take a few games for them to be match fit again.
      but Ive got a feeling they'll be coming back at the right time and lift us up that little bit further, added with who ever we buy in January.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #30: Dec 18, 2007 01:09:42 am
      january looks great for us really. agger and alonso return, pennant returns, and maybe wrapping up mascherano deal and new signings. looks bright for us really. i personally cant wait to see agger and alonso back but also pennant as i think he will be excellent when he gets back, at the start of the season he was one of our best players imo and he seemed to fade due to his injury but when he gets back i expect him to be playing great and hes still pretty young so things look good.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #31: Dec 18, 2007 08:29:50 am
      pennant as I think he will be excellent when he gets back, at the start of the season he was one of our best players imo and he seemed to fade due to his injury but when he gets back I expect him to be playing great and hes still pretty young so things look good.

Yes it will be an added bonus I have always considered Pennant to be one of our most improved players of last season and he has not disappointed this season either.  My thinking is the same as yours in that he is still young and seems to have settled alot more now (apart from that red card at Porto which was not his fault) and he does give us alot of depth on the right some including me would argue he is a better option than Yossi on the right wing too.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #32: Dec 18, 2007 09:08:50 am
      Yes it will be an added bonus I have always considered Pennant to be one of our most improved players of last season and he has not disappointed this season either.  My thinking is the same as yours in that he is still young and seems to have settled alot more now (apart from that red card at Porto which was not his fault) and he does give us alot of depth on the right some including me would argue he is a better option than Yossi on the right wing too.

I agree with you there.
      I think Pennant brings a much needed width to our team because sometimes I feel we are congesting the middle too much with yossi and voronin(when he plays wing) coming inside all the time.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #33: Dec 18, 2007 10:45:11 am
      I'm not sure if we have missed either as much as people think. Hyypia filled in for Agger he has been brilliant for the few games he's played in. Who would you put out of the team for, i would think about Masch, but then you think of how well he has played in recent weeks and you dismiss the arguement. Last year on the Liverpoolfc.tv forum, everyone was saying that we missed Momo alot, and that him being ill was the cause of our 3-6 loss, but i don't think we really missed him. Okay we'd much rather have Alonso and Agger back than not but i don't believe he would have done better than Masch did. Gerrard would have been playing on the right if Alonso was fit, he doesn't like that. I know that alot will disagree with me but as much as people say so, we haven't missed them that much.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #34: Dec 18, 2007 12:56:32 pm
      I'm not sure if we have missed either as much as people think. Hyypia filled in for Agger he has been brilliant for the few games he's played in. Who would you put out of the team for, I would think about Masch, but then you think of how well he has played in recent weeks and you dismiss the arguement. Last year on the Liverpoolfc.tv forum, everyone was saying that we missed Momo alot, and that him being ill was the cause of our 3-6 loss, but I don't think we really missed him. Okay we'd much rather have Alonso and Agger back than not but I don't believe he would have done better than Masch did. Gerrard would have been playing on the right if Alonso was fit, he doesn't like that. I know that alot will disagree with me but as much as people say so, we haven't missed them that much.

I agree that Hyypia has done a good job in Agger's absence but Agger brings something very important to our game.  He takes the ball out of defence and can make things happen with his penetrative runs, lay offs and long distance shooting.  I think we have been missing these options.  Xabi reads the game very well, can pick out a defence splitting pass and like all good players seems to create his own time and space.  He gives us a different option to Mascherano.

In this I think we have missed both players considerably.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #35: Dec 18, 2007 08:22:43 pm
      couldnt agree more AJ. I don't really get why people slate him so much but I guess there will always be someone who doesnt like one of our players. he has come on leaps and bounds since joining and rafa has changed him alot, this injury seems like a big setback for him but I feel he will bounce back from this dramatically. I do think we have missed Agger and Alonso more than people notice. our play has be good with them out at times phenominal but they add so much to our team and at times there are players that you dont notice how important they are until they arent playing. kind of like lampard for chelsea, he seems like a terrible player at times but constantly gets rated as one of the best (although I dislike him an amazing amount due to him getting so much of the praise that gerrard should get) when he isnt playing for them they really are a different side. the vision and passing Agger and Alonso have is quite amazing and they really know how to pick out a team mate in a sticky situation. some of the things they do are pure genius alonso in particular, his shots from his own half that most would even dare try, his 360 roullette trick in the Champions League final after kaka had done the same trick not long before to show that we were not intimidated and just other things like I remember him taking a free kick for us and when everyone expected him to shoot he play a cheeky lobbed pass over the wall to one of our players for them to shoot. these things add a touch of unpredictability to our side and causes other teams to be unsure of what we are going to do.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #36: Dec 18, 2007 09:22:35 pm
      couldnt agree more AJ. I don't really get why people slate him so much but I guess there will always be someone who doesnt like one of our players. he has come on leaps and bounds since joining and rafa has changed him alot, this injury seems like a big setback for him but I feel he will bounce back from this dramatically. I do think we have missed Agger and Alonso more than people notice. our play has be good with them out at times phenominal but they add so much to our team and at times there are players that you dont notice how important they are until they arent playing. kind of like lampard for chelsea, he seems like a terrible player at times but constantly gets rated as one of the best (although I dislike him an amazing amount due to him getting so much of the praise that gerrard should get) when he isnt playing for them they really are a different side. the vision and passing Agger and Alonso have is quite amazing and they really know how to pick out a team mate in a sticky situation. some of the things they do are pure genius alonso in particular, his shots from his own half that most would even dare try, his 360 roullette trick in the Champions League final after kaka had done the same trick not long before to show that we were not intimidated and just other things like I remember him taking a free kick for us and when everyone expected him to shoot he play a cheeky lobbed pass over the wall to one of our players for them to shoot. these things add a touch of unpredictability to our side and causes other teams to be unsure of what we are going to do.

Did you take a breath when you posted that?  :lmao:
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #37: Dec 19, 2007 12:17:47 am
      ;D sorry its a habit of mine. always happens when i start typing i cant stop
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #38: Dec 19, 2007 12:41:56 am
      agger,pennant and alonso are very important for we
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #39: Dec 19, 2007 01:22:39 pm
      Alonso in line to play some part in tonights game.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #40: Dec 19, 2007 02:20:25 pm
      Alonso in line to play some part in tonights game.

And it's the perfect game for him to come back into. Not much pressure, but against an opposition we want to beat, so the desire is there. Hopefully he'll be back to full match practice after tonight, and will be ready for the games next week, perhaps missing out on the Portsmouth fixture while he recovers from a full run out tonight.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #41: Dec 19, 2007 03:34:46 pm
      If Xabi doesn't start it will be Lucas and Momo ... but Xabi plays holding mf when he last played with Momo... could be the same with Momo coming off...

Quick Reply